@shrekislove123

Very nice! It looks great in your case and with the Corsair SP fans w/ white rings.

When you first asked about push/pull with the 240mm radiator, I thought you said you would add slim fans? Not full 25mm fans. I tried doing push pull with a set of added slim fans and it didn't do anything for temperatures. If you go push pull with regular size fans it should help slightly, but not by a lot, 3C at most I would guess.

When I did push pull with the X31, adding that 2nd fan in pull subtracted an additional 4C. I am guessing because its 30mm thick radiator, its a thick fin density, and a smaller surface area.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I use a XFX R9 290. Would I need the copper shim for that?

Which specific model of XFX R9 290? Can you post a picture of the PCB please? Im on my phone so I can look it up on my own, and XFX makes a few different model 290s.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@shrekislove123

Very nice! It looks great in your case and with the Corsair SP fans w/ white rings.

When you first asked about push/pull with the 240mm radiator, I thought you said you would add slim fans? Not full 25mm fans. I tried doing push pull with a set of added slim fans and it didn't do anything for temperatures. If you go push pull with regular size fans it should help slightly, but not by a lot, 3C at most I would guess.

When I did push pull with the X31, adding that 2nd fan in pull subtracted an additional 4C. I am guessing because its 30mm thick radiator, its a thick fin density, and a smaller surface area.

@Faceman

Thanks! Couldn't have done it without your help, would've been helpless trying to install it myself. Heck, I had a friend helping me and it still took us over an hour because the thermal paste kept smudging due to the Asetek pump not lining up properly.

Yeah, I meant slim fans; according to the owner's club thread for the Phantom 410, if I want to add fans on top of the H100 for push-pull they have to be >16mm thick. The only suitable ones I've found are the Gelid Slim 120mmm fans which are 15.8mm http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=2&id=83&tab=2

Would you know why slim fans aren't as useful compared to thick fans? I mean, since they are only the pull fans, they don't have to be static pressure optimised right? Because they are not pushing air through a radiator or anything and airflow will not be hindered. 

However, the issue I will have if I add another 2 fans for push-pull on the 240mm CPU AIO is that my the built in fan controller on my case will not be able to handle all of them, therefore I would have to purchase a 5.25 inch controller on top of another 2 fans. I am not sure if this is worth the investment for a minor/negligible performance improvement. Could you please put my annoying perfectionist mind to rest and convince me out of it with your personal experience and logic  :D ?

It's the Double Dissipation version. Unfortunately I don't have the card stripped down yet, as I'm still waiting for everything to come in.

@shrekislove123

Its just not worth it. I already tried it with my 240mm radiator and adding two slim fans in pull only created more noise, no reduction in temps.

It's the Double Dissipation version. Unfortunately I don't have the card stripped down yet, as I'm still waiting for everything to come in.

Im having a hard time finding a picture of that specific model PCB. Im still using my phone. If its at all similar to the 290X, then you're fine. You dont need a shim. Just be careful not to over tighten, or under tighten.

@shrekislove123

Its just not worth it. I already tried it with my 240mm radiator and adding two slim fans in pull only created more noise, no reduction in temps.

@Faceman

Thanks so much for that. My mind is finally at peace ^_^

@Faceman

Just a question, if I want to go 2 way SLI in the future, is another CLC AIO necessary for that 2nd card? I heard that only top cards should be worried about in SLI setups due to them receiving less heat.

I doubt I'll be swapping my card anytime soon, considering that the newly released 980 is basically on par with my 780 ti when it comes to performance.

Alright I'm running into an issue. I purchased the Cosmos heat sinks for the VRM, and those suckers are a lot smaller than I though they would be. I can fit 2 onto each one, and the package only comes with 20 (PCB has 16 VRM modules). Would one heat sink be enough for each module, or do I need to buy more?

@Faceman

Just a question, if I want to go 2 way SLI in the future, is another CLC AIO necessary for that 2nd card? I heard that only top cards should be worried about in SLI setups due to them receiving less heat.

I doubt I'll be swapping my card anytime soon, considering that the newly released 980 is basically on par with my 780 ti when it comes to performance.

Yes, you will need another bracket, and AIO if you want to do the mod to your 2nd card.  Typically the top card runs the hottest.  If your bottom card's temps are good, then there is no reason to add it to the bottom unless you want to lower temperatures.

Alright I'm running into an issue. I purchased the Cosmos heat sinks for the VRM, and those suckers are a lot smaller than I though they would be. I can fit 2 onto each one, and the package only comes with 20 (PCB has 16 VRM modules). Would one heat sink be enough for each module, or do I need to buy more?

You need to quote or "@" me in order for me to see that you have replied.

Please post a picture of your PCB and highlight where you are attempting to mount these.  I have a feeling you trying to mount them either on the VRAM, or directly on to the VRMs, which has the potential to be problematic depending on your PCB.

Bear in mind I also have the Gelid mod kit coming

Those are the VRAM.  They don't really get that hot anyways, so in all honestly, you only need the Gelid Kit.

What you could do, is attach those aluminum heatsinks one each to the VRAM either on the side you have it now, or the back, whichever has better airflow.  I'm thinking the ones of the front, the side you are trying to put them on now, is not going to have as good airflow as on the back, like if you have a fan elsewhere in your case that is blowing over the card.

Yes, you will need another bracket, and AIO if you want to do the mod to your 2nd card.  Typically the top card runs the hottest.  If your bottom card's temps are good, then there is no reason to add it to the bottom unless you want to lower temperatures.

Apologies if I didn't phrase the question correctly :P

What I meant is do you think it is necessary for the 2nd card? Does the second card in an SLI setup have the same usage as the first card? If so, then I will definitely install another G10 and H55 as my first card was running 70+ when overclocked and gaming.

However, the second problem I will have is that the only spot left in my case to fit the second AIO radiator for the second GPU is in the front top intake. This will mean that I will be intaking in the warm air from cooling the second GPU; I mean, I'll still have a side intake fan and a bottom front intake but I fear this may actually be detrimental to both my GPU's being cooled with the G10 as the rest of my components will get warmer air.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this :D . Sorry if its a little complicated

Apologies if I didn't phrase the question correctly :P

What I meant is do you think it is necessary for the 2nd card? Does the second card in an SLI setup have the same usage as the first card? If so, then I will definitely install another G10 and H55 as my first card was running 70+ when overclocked and gaming.

However, the second problem I will have is that the only spot left in my case to fit the second AIO radiator for the second GPU is in the front top intake. This will mean that I will be intaking in the warm air from cooling the second GPU; I mean, I'll still have a side intake fan and a bottom front intake but I fear this may actually be detrimental to both my GPU's being cooled with the G10 as the rest of my components will get warmer air.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this :D . Sorry if its a little complicated

See what the temperatures of your bottom card are like before making a decision.

You could set it to front top exhaust, it doesn't have to be intake.  You always want to keep that side fan as intake blowing over the GPUs.

I was all about the 1440p not long ago, but I think I would rather have an Ultra 4k G-Sync monitor. I'm more of an RPG player than a hardcore FPS player, so framerates above 60Hz don't interest me as much as better graphics. You really can't go wrong with either, it comes down to user preference, and price.

@Faceman Do you think it will be worth it to get another 780 TI for 2 way SLI if I'm gonna continue gaming on mmy 1080p 24 inch 144hz monitor? I don't think I will get a new 1440p/4k res monitor as I'm going to wait for the prices of them to drop, but I do want to futureproof my system so that I won't have to upgrade for some time and 780 Ti's are quickly becoming scarce as Nvidia has halted production of the 7xx series since last year.

@Faceman Do you think it will be worth it to get another 780 TI for 2 way SLI if I'm gonna continue gaming on mmy 1080p 24 inch 144hz monitor? I don't think I will get a new 1440p/4k res monitor as I'm going to wait for the prices of them to drop, but I do want to futureproof my system so that I won't have to upgrade for some time and 780 Ti's are quickly becoming scarce as Nvidia has halted production of the 7xx series since last year.

I personally don't see a reason to buy more hardware unless you are unhappy with performance. I understand wanting to buy one now because there aren't many new ones left. Are you opposed to buying used? Perhaps when you really need it. Dx 12 is rumored to combine GPU VRAM, but if that doesn't come to fruition, having a more powerful single GPU is better. I personally wouldn't unless I was not happy with my current performance, so it comes down to personal preference.  I'm not a big fan of "future proofing," especially now when so much new stuff is right around the corner.  I had originally planned to go SLI with my 780, but decided against it.  The new AMD GPUs are supposed to be incredible.  Also DX12(even though it will take a few years to be mainstream), and the Nvidia 1000 series, or whatever they call it is supposed to be a game changer according to early tid bits.

I personally don't see a reason to buy more hardware unless you are unhappy with performance. I understand wanting to buy one now because there aren't many new ones left. Are you opposed to buying used? Perhaps when you really need it. Dx 12 is rumored to combine GPU VRAM, but if that doesn't come to fruition, having a more powerful single GPU is better. I personally wouldn't unless I was not happy with my current performance, so it comes down to personal preference.  I'm not a big fan of "future proofing," especially now when so much new stuff is right around the corner.  I had originally planned to go SLI with my 780, but decided against it.  The new AMD GPUs are supposed to be incredible.  Also DX12(even though it will take a few years to be mainstream), and the Nvidia 1000 series, or whatever they call it is supposed to be a game changer according to early tid bits.

Thats the problem. I agree with everything you said except for the fact that I really wouldn't buy used hardware, I'd rather pay slightly more for the guarantee of an "out-of-the-box" product that still has its warranty intact. 

IMO, I am certain that the new Nvidia 1000 series/whatever they are named will be much better compared to my 780 ti; however, the price that I will have to pay for a single new card when that comes out will certainly be more than the price I will pay for a 780 TI now, and if compared, the performance boost I would get relative to my current setup now means it would be better to get a 780 ti. I know its unfair to use my current performance as a benchmark but its really the only way I can assess the benefits when buying new models. For example. getting a 780 Ti would boost my performance by 60-70 %, whereas paying more for a new generation of cards would gain me something like a 40% performance boost (am I wrong on this? Since the 980 isn't really that much more powerful than the 780 ti).

Directx12 is supposed to be released late 2015, and it claims to have backwards compatibility for previous cards including Kepler, but since everything is still in an infant stage I personally take news with a pinch of salt, especially when it comes to release dates (*cough*cough* Rockstar  :wacko: )

Thats the problem. I agree with everything you said except for the fact that I really wouldn't buy used hardware, I'd rather pay slightly more for the guarantee of an "out-of-the-box" product that still has its warranty intact. 

IMO, I am certain that the new Nvidia 1000 series/whatever they are named will be much better compared to my 780 ti; however, the price that I will have to pay for a single new card when that comes out will certainly be more than the price I will pay for a 780 TI now, and if compared, the performance boost I would get relative to my current setup now means it would be better to get a 780 ti. I know its unfair to use my current performance as a benchmark but its really the only way I can assess the benefits when buying new models. For example. getting a 780 Ti would boost my performance by 60-70 %, whereas paying more for a new generation of cards would gain me something like a 40% performance boost (am I wrong on this? Since the 980 isn't really that much more powerful than the 780 ti).

Directx12 is supposed to be released late 2015, and it claims to have backwards compatibility for previous cards including Kepler, but since everything is still in an infant stage I personally take news with a pinch of salt, especially when it comes to release dates (*cough*cough* Rockstar  :wacko: )

Have to consider that you can sell your 780Ti to recoup some of money.  Used components aren't bad as long as you make sure they work.  I have bought plenty of used GPUs, and they all have worked great, still running, and if bought from the right company, the warranty transfers with the card.  The last   This is a personal decision, I have no influence on this.  I can't make the decision for you, I can only tell you what I would personally do.  "future proofing" doesn't exist.  I personally take a wait and see approach, especially with these new technologies that are supposedly right around the corner.  Its not a good idea to wait and see, wait and see, wait and see, eventually you have to act, but I wouldn't act until you are unsatisfied with performance.

Thanks for the insight, will look into this carefully for the next few days before deciding on anything