LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

Eh, it'll manage a bit.

so i decided to put on the overclock profile on, put it on 10% OC, ran a benchmark to see if stable, it was. Bumped it up to 15% Overclock, ran benchmark, stable. But when i bumped it to 20% Overclock, it didn't boot, it said something about voltage not being enough, so i returned it to 15% OC.

Temperatures at idle is around 38-40 degrees, 53 degrees max on cinebench. 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

so i decided to put on the overclock profile on, put it on 10% OC, ran a benchmark to see if stable, it was. Bumped it up to 15% Overclock, ran benchmark, stable. But when i bumped it to 20% Overclock, it didn't boot, it said something about voltage not being enough, so i returned it to 15% OC.

Temperatures at idle is around 38-40 degrees, 53 degrees max on cinebench. 

Pretty decent. :)

Pretty decent. :)

went from 2.5GHz stock to 2.87GHz (15% OC), decent enough i'd say :D thanks!

btw, how could i achieve that 20% OC? i reaaaaally wanna go for it and see what speed i can get up to. i dont know which settings to change, i cant seem to find the core voltage option to change it to around 1.3V-1.4V

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

went from 2.5GHz to 2.87GHz, decent enough i'd say :D thanks!

btw, how could i achieve that 20% OC? i reaaaaally wanna go for it and see what speed i can get up to. i dont know which settings to change, i cant seem to find the core voltage option to change it to around 1.3V-1.4V

Your board might not feature it.

Try updating to the latest BIOS.

Your board might not feature it.

Try updating to the latest BIOS.

tell you what, im happy with a 15% overclock. IM SO HAPPY.

I played BF3 for around 20 mins on a 32 player server, normally, on stock speed at 2.5GHz i'd be getting 30-45 fps on LOW settings (bad right?)

when i got into the game, holy moly the performance difference!@! it was literally running 60fps constant, sometimes dipping to around 52fps. thats on low settings with v-sync on.

i put it on ULTRA v-sync off and i was running 60+fps, normally on stock speed, i'd be running 30-40fps with dips below 25fps, but now it literally runs like i have had a new processor.

im so happy, thank you very much!

EDIT: 

i looked at my gpu usage and it's at 99%, before it was normally around 75-85%, does that mean that my cpu is now not bottlenecking my gtx 670?

Old Rig

EDIT: 

i looked at my gpu usage and it's at 99%, before it was normally around 75-85%, does that mean that my cpu is now not bottlenecking my gtx 670?

it does, yes :)

Cool guide, I also have a pair of Harpertown E5405's and something like 6 Woodcrest Xeon's. Shame I don't have a board to play around with.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Cool guide, I also have a pair of Harpertown E5405's and something like 6 Woodcrest Xeon's. Shame I don't have a board to play around with.

they're commonplace on ebay :)

excellent looks like i'll be getting a x48 or P45 board when i get some 776 goodness. i was wondering which chip sets could do what, a with 775 cpu being so cheap i will be able to buy 10-12 cpu's for testing. :D

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

You need to mention cooling. For extreme overclocks, you'll be pushing in excess of 1.7V through the Northbridge in order to get it stable. As such, you need sufficient cooling for the Northbridge.

Also, 775 chips have a much lower TJunction and max safe temp than modern processors. Generally, anything above 72C is risky and above 80 is turn your system off right now. I was just under 80C when I put 1.9V through my Q6700 to get 4.2GHz for a screenshot, at idle. I was below 70 when I did 4GHz on my Q6700, and even that was dodgy.

You should also mention to sacrifice memory speeds for CPU clock. If you need to dial your RAM back to 600Mhz DDR2, 1066MHz DDR3 in order to get an extra 100MHz out of your CPU, it's well worth it.

Also, 65nm chips can have up to 1.5V put through them without damage (from Intel's own ark), whereas 45nm is more like 1.35-1.4V

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

where were you a year ago when i was overclocking my desktop? :rolleyes:

too bad i had to leave it behind when i came to college

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Anyone else using an E7200? :)

Got it to 3.8Ghz pretty easily and now it sits in my HTPC running pretty much 24/7 though it can get a bit toasty. Considering the chip was only $10 shipped on eBay and I got a pretty decent A-Bit board to go with it I'm quite happy. LGA775 is still very capable in my eyes, and I think for most people it can still be more than enough power. Plus overclocking the hell out of some old hardware is always entertaining. :)

Desktop - CPU Core i7 4770k - MOBO ASUS Maximus VI Hero - GPU Nvidia GTX770 - RAM 16Gb Corsair Dominator GT - PSU Corsair TX750V2 - Storage OCZ Vertex III 120Gb - Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

unRAID - CPU Phenom X6 1090T - MOBO ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R1 - RAM 16Gb Kingston ECC - PSU EVGA 650G1 - Storage 5x3TB WD Red - Case NZXT Source 210

Anyone else using an E7200? :)

Got it to 3.8Ghz pretty easily and now it sits in my HTPC running pretty much 24/7 though it can get a bit toasty. Considering the chip was only $10 shipped on eBay and I got a pretty decent A-Bit board to go with it I'm quite happy. LGA775 is still very capable in my eyes, and I think for most people it can still be more than enough power. Plus overclocking the hell out of some old hardware is always entertaining. :)

I have a 7300. It's a C0 though so it struggles past 4GHz.

Great, how did I not see this? :P anyway, sweet. But my Q6600 is the former B3 stepping, with a 100W TDP, so overclocking it too far will kill it. Right now, sitting at 3GHz will cause random restarts, but maybe it's just becuase i probably didn't amp up the voltage. but i can't go past 3ghz or it blackscreens. I can't believe i lost the silicon lottery.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I have a 7300. It's a C0 though so it struggles past 4GHz.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of temps were you seeing overclocked like that? :)

Desktop - CPU Core i7 4770k - MOBO ASUS Maximus VI Hero - GPU Nvidia GTX770 - RAM 16Gb Corsair Dominator GT - PSU Corsair TX750V2 - Storage OCZ Vertex III 120Gb - Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

unRAID - CPU Phenom X6 1090T - MOBO ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R1 - RAM 16Gb Kingston ECC - PSU EVGA 650G1 - Storage 5x3TB WD Red - Case NZXT Source 210

Just out of curiosity, what kind of temps were you seeing overclocked like that? :)

I'm not sure. But my E8400 E0 @4.2Ghz /1.3v was at like 55c on a fairly basic air cooler.

time to overclock the hell out of my q8200 :3 all i need is a new mobo 

CPU:  i7 5820k  @4.0Ghz Cooler: Thermaltake Nic C5 Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Ram: 8 gb @2133Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1560  Case: Proprietary Sun Ultra 24  Storage: HyperX 120gb & 1 TB WD Green PSU: Cooler Master 550w 

I'm not sure. But my E8400 E0 @4.2Ghz /1.3v was at like 55c on a fairly basic air cooler.

My E7200 sits stable at 3.8Ghz though I don't remember the voltage. Temps aren't bad at around 50c considering I'm essentially using a slightly better stock cooler. :)

I am looking right now at my son's 1st ever pc with a very oc'able chip inside it and when I finally got not one but two aftermarket cooling solutions I still didn't get around to getting the thing to 4 GHz super cool.  I still want to get to it but believe I am going to have to remove the motherboard to install the needed back plate and like I have said before I am not fond of taking pcs totally apart once they are together working.  Stupid but it is what it is.  I have an Xigmatek cooler of some sort for it and I think seeing this guide tonight will finally be what gets me to get this all taken care of.  I did OC his new rig nicely, have yet to OC the GTX 760 but wrote out everything I needed to know and know it is simple to overclock the card but I haven't needed to based on the games I am playing but with his old rig definitely we need more from it.  I got to OC the e5200/e5300 again (whatever it is) this time with an aftermarket cooler but I also have to look to see what I did with the 9800 GT he has. I know I oc'ed it before but didn't push it much because the case has no extra cooling fans in it and it is a very small case.  Anyway like I said seeing this guide tonight gives me a push to do something fun this week.  I was needing something to do that took some work after dealing with court related/health related stuff for days and days.  I need something different to help me relax but also exercise this brain.  I was starting to get bored.  Playing basketball for the umpteenth time and video games can only entertain you for so long. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Great, how did I not see this? :P anyway, sweet. But my Q6600 is the former B3 stepping, with a 100W TDP, so overclocking it too far will kill it. Right now, sitting at 3GHz will cause random restarts, but maybe it's just becuase i probably didn't amp up the voltage. but i can't go past 3ghz or it blackscreens. I can't believe i lost the silicon lottery.

Aw that sucks :/

What revision is your 680i SLI chipset? I think that's a problem. With 1333FSB+ on quad cores they freak out. @LinusTech had a poem about it.

My E7200 sits stable at 3.8Ghz though I don't remember the voltage. Temps aren't bad at around 50c considering I'm essentially using a slightly better stock cooler. :)

Sounds good :) 

I am looking right now at my son's 1st ever pc with a very oc'able chip inside it and when I finally got not one but two aftermarket cooling solutions I still didn't get around to getting the thing to 4 GHz super cool.  I still want to get to it but believe I am going to have to remove the motherboard to install the needed back plate and like I have said before I am not fond of taking pcs totally apart once they are together working.  Stupid but it is what it is.  I have an Xigmatek cooler of some sort for it and I think seeing this guide tonight will finally be what gets me to get this all taken care of.  I did OC his new rig nicely, have yet to OC the GTX 760 but wrote out everything I needed to know and know it is simple to overclock the card but I haven't needed to based on the games I am playing but with his old rig definitely we need more from it.  I got to OC the e5200/e5300 again (whatever it is) this time with an aftermarket cooler but I also have to look to see what I did with the 9800 GT he has. I know I oc'ed it before but didn't push it much because the case has no extra cooling fans in it and it is a very small case.  Anyway like I said seeing this guide tonight gives me a push to do something fun this week.  I was needing something to do that took some work after dealing with court related/health related stuff for days and days.  I need something different to help me relax but also exercise this brain.  I was starting to get bored.  Playing basketball for the umpteenth time and video games can only entertain you for so long. 

Best of luck, let me know how that overclocking goes :)

Aw that sucks :/

What revision is your 680i SLI chipset? I think that's a problem. With 1333FSB+ on quad cores they freak out. @LinusTech had a poem about it.

Sounds good :)

Best of luck, let me know how that overclocking goes :)

It's an A2 revision, so probably one of the first ones.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It's an A2 revision, so probably one of the first ones.

AR was the 1st I think, A1 was the revision after that and A2 was something else, think it was just an A1 with a newer BIOS. AR is the one I have. What are you using to check? CPU-Z reports incorrectly. You'd need to look at the sticker on your board.

AR was the 1st I think, A1 was the revision after that and A2 was something else, think it was just an A1 with a newer BIOS. AR is the one I have. What are you using to check? CPU-Z reports incorrectly. You'd need to look at the sticker on your board.

I can't find any sticker. All I se anything close is a B, but i doubt it.