CPU Cooler for new build

Mully

I finally have all of the components for my first build except for the case which is being delivered tomorrow and a CPU cooler that I have yet to decide on.

Originally I planned to install the stock cooler that came with my 3570k until I felt the need to invest in a CPU cooler. However I came to the conclusion that it is probably best if I install an aftermarket cooler straight away, so that I take full advantage of my cpu and overclock it.

My knowledge with CPU coolers is very limited but this is the criteria I'm looking for.

Fairly easy to assemble and install.

Fairly quiet

Black/white/grey colour scheme so that it goes with the rest of my build.

Capable of overclocking a 3570k to 4 - 4.5 Ghz with good temps.

I don't really have a budget but it would be nice if it's within £50/ $80 - $90.

Curqently I'm looking at the CM 412s which comes in at £26 which is around the same price as a 212 evo and is supposedly better.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What case do you have? NZXT Havik is really good and its black and white. (Well Black and White fans)

Thanks for the suggestion.

My case is a Fractal Design Arc Midi.

CM 212 Evo or Noctua NH-D14 if you want an air cooler. Corsair H100i or H110 if you want liquid cooling.

With an overclocked 3570k I would aim for something a little better then a hyper 212.

Like Cohacq said. The Noctua NH-D14 is a great choice. also an AIO h80/h100

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=470...facture=Noctua

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for water cooling I think the H100 or similar models are a bit out of my budget especially if I was to replace the stock fans with something quieter and more suited to my needs.

Between the Phanteks and the Noctua NH D14 I would most likely go for the D14 which costs around £57 (a bit over my budget) although I was hoping to get something a little bit smaller/cheaper.

I've heard good things about the Zalman 9900 Max and has anyone used the 412s before.

Thanks again for the responses. I will be ordering at some point tomorrow.

Why not try something in the middle like an NZXT Respire T40 or NZXT Havik 140.

Check out the Xigmatek Prime and Dark Knight Night Hawk (terrible name, I know) as well. Both are fairly decent, though you might want to replace the DKNH's fan....It's strength is definitely the heatsink side of things.

I have an i7-2600k and thought about getting an Noctua NH-D14 but I decided to buy an Noctua NH-U12P SE2....less space requirements but still decent cooling performance and super quiet!!!

I've just finished doing a little more resarch and I would like to add the BeQuiet Dark Rock 2 and Zalman 9900 Max to the shortlist.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these two coolers?

I also had a look at the recently released Zalman LQ310 Liquid CPU cooler. Thoughts?

Personal siggestion, NH-d14, for me

cpu stays st exelent speeds even with overclocking. Also has qualitythermal paste included ;)

As for water cooling I think the H100 or similar models are a bit out of my budget especially if I was to replace the stock fans with something quieter and more suited to my needs.

Between the Phanteks and the Noctua NH D14 I would most likely go for the D14 which costs around £57 (a bit over my budget) although I was hoping to get something a little bit smaller/cheaper.

I've heard good things about the Zalman 9900 Max and has anyone used the 412s before.

Thanks again for the responses. I will be ordering at some point tomorrow.

I have the zalman 9900 max and its great. I have a 3770k at 4.5 GHz, 1.30v. 100% load at 73C(hottest core

), idle at 25C, which is 2 degrees above ambient and i think I have a bad chip. Not as good as the noctua d14, but half the size, cheaper, the correct colour and pretty quiet. It comes in either red or blue led so I don't know if that ruins your colour scheme.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

My vote goes for the Dark Rock Pro 2.
That's £60 in the UK unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've just finished doing a little more resarch and I would like to add the BeQuiet Dark Rock 2 and Zalman 9900 Max to the shortlist. Has anyone had any experience with either of these two coolers? I also had a look at the recently released Zalman LQ310 Liquid CPU cooler. Thoughts?

Supposedly the Zalman 9900 Max is somewhat noisy with average temps. Neither bad nor good.

As for the Dark Rock 2, I was actually going to get one myself until I read this, along with it's discussion thread. I love BeQuiet!, but I have a lot of faith in SPCR, so I'd be slightly wary.

It's as if all this research was for nothing. Might just give up and get a CM 212 EVO, this is the last component I need before I can start my build.

The aforementioned NZXT and Xigmatek Prime coolers are no good?

My last recommendation would be Prolimatech's Megahalems. It's pricey, but I always hear how easy Prolimatech's mounting mechanism is - good for a first time builder.

The NZXT Havik 140 goes highly recommended by the guys over at TekSyndicate.

And comes in virtually next to the NH-D14 only scoring 1-2 degrees behind it + being like $20 less than it presents a better value :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I haven't heard great things about NZXT's build quality unfortunately. If I do go with an air cooler it will probably be the 212 evo or D14. Just out of interest is the D14 easy to install and would I be able to switch out the stock fans with something else?

My only other option is getting a closed loop liquid cooler but I would have to spend more money and buy additional fans because the stock ones are usually quite loud.

I've narrowed it down to these 4 coolers:

CM 212 Evo - £24

Noctua NH - D14 - £58

Zalman LQ 310 - £67

Corsair H100i - £90

I also like the look of the Swiftech H220, but it's not available until mid-late February and I would like to see some benchmarks and reviews before I invest in one.

What do you think?

I've narrowed it down to these 4 coolers: CM 212 Evo - £24 Noctua NH - D14 - £58 Zalman LQ 310 - £67 Corsair H100i - £90 I also like the look of the Swiftech H220' date=' but it's not available until mid-late February and I would like to see some benchmarks and reviews before I invest in one. What do you think?[/quote']

The H100 has a horrible price : performance ratio, you can get near enough the same performance if not better with the Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE. If you're only going for a mild overclock the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will be more than enough, it's a great cooler for a little price tag.