Looking for headphones

Resonance

Recently I purchased Steelseries Siberia v2's, the 3.5mm ones, and tried it on. The comfort was good, the mic was decent... but the audio was only good in some things. Since I don't play games "all the time" and I mainly just watch youtube or anime or whatever, I tested the headset there. There was a noticeable, distinguishable (redundancy ftw) airy noise coming through. I've been using the Creative HS-1200's for almost two years now and the only complaint I have is the pain it does to your ears. However, the quality of the audio is superb. When I was listening through the Siberia v2's, audio coming from youtube videos went "around" the ears rather than into them. So listening to videos weren't pleasant. Not only was that the case, like I mentioned before, that airy noise was just so distinct that I couldn't bear listening to videos. Music and games were fine on them, not the greatest I assume, but youtube was just horrid to listen to. It could have been a defect but I don't usually diagnose headsets, so I wasn't even going to try to compare them.

So I arrived at the conclusion that I'd rather have headphones rather than headsets for quality. Since I compare quality by my creative headset... (only headset that i've used beside the siberia's) I decided that sennheiser's would be a good choice if I want solid quality and just plain solid experience with headphones. I've been looking at the Hd 518's but I've realized that i've never used an open typed headset. I've only used closed type that has no leakage of audio. Though I'm open to anyone who've experienced open and would like to give some feedback. I do listen to music alot, youtube, and play almost any game, just not "all the time".

"All the time" - I play games whenever I feel like it, there is no specific genre either, so it isn't like I need headphones too catered to games but enough that it'll be a pleasant experience.

Price - $100-$200

Thanks all.

Intel Core i7-4790k | ASUS 4GB GTX 970 | 32GB (4X8GB) DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + WD 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H100i | Windows 8.1 64bit

In my opinion open is better because the audio feels more natural and immersive, imo.

When it says open, does that mean a bit of the headphones are opened at the back to allow air in? Would that be a bit of interference for what i'll be using it for? Or would listening be more pleasant? If you don't mind, could you give a comparison?

Intel Core i7-4790k | ASUS 4GB GTX 970 | 32GB (4X8GB) DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + WD 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H100i | Windows 8.1 64bit

When it says open, does that mean a bit of the headphones are opened at the back to allow air in? Would that be a bit of interference for what i'll be using it for? Or would listening be more pleasant? If you don't mind, could you give a comparison?
Open will let sound in from around you and will leak sound you are listening to out a lot. Closed is the opposite. If that doesn't matter to you then i would go for open as they often sound better.

Headset

As for recommendations for under $200 i would look at Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Sennheiser HD598, Brainwavz HM5 (a closed recommendation). See what you think.

Headset

I've been really impressed with the Corsair Vengeance 1500`s. The software has a good cuatom EQ and once I pulled the low frequencies up a bit I was really happy with the quality all round, games and music.

They're also really comfy and the mic is really good quality! They definitely get my recommendation =)

I own shure srh 840's(closed) and sennheiser hd595's(open)

I always preferred the 840's for music and hd595's for gaming.

The 595's had better positioning for fps's but the 840's had more bass impact for music.

It's really a preference thing, and really hard to decide without hearing yourself.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

As for recommendations for under $200 i would look at Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro' date=' Sennheiser HD598, Brainwavz HM5 (a closed recommendation). See what you think.[/quote']

The Beyerdynamic's look amazing right now... so does the Brainwavz, especially with the price. I may do what t0wer does, having two separate headphones for different things. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I've been really impressed with the Corsair Vengeance 1500`s. The software has a good cuatom EQ and once I pulled the low frequencies up a bit I was really happy with the quality all round' date=' games and music. They're also really comfy and the mic is really good quality! They definitely get my recommendation =)[/quote']

I was looking at the 2000's and they look impressive but I want to move over from headsets.