AMD Climbs 11% in GPU Shipments in Q2, Intel up 4% NVIDIA down 8.3%

BiG StroOnZ

This is interesting but kind of meaningless from Nvidia's perspective. APU's are growing in popularity. Nvidia doesn't seem interested in that area. So of course with data that includes both APUs and discrete Nvidia would do poorly in. I don't have enough information to judge if Nvidia is legitimately doing poorly or if the increase in APUs makes Nvidia appear to be doing poorly in comparison. For all I know Nvidia could be doing really strongly in the discrete market and gaining share and AMD could be relying more on their APUs which gives them more overall share.

But either way, this is good for AMD regardless of if their benefit comes from APUs or discretes. I think what AMD is doing with their APUs will ultimately benefit PC gaming a lot with low end systems.

That was a odd surprise 

Edit ooooooooooh i forgot about there APUs 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

This is interesting but kind of meaningless from Nvidia's perspective. APU's are growing in popularity. Nvidia doesn't seem interested in that area. So of course with data that includes both APUs and discrete Nvidia would do poorly in. I don't have enough information to judge if Nvidia is legitimately doing poorly or if the increase in APUs makes Nvidia appear to be doing poorly in comparison. For all I know Nvidia could be doing really strongly in the discrete market and gaining share and AMD could be relying more on their APUs which gives them more overall share.

But either way, this is good for AMD regardless of if their benefit comes from APUs or discretes. I think what AMD is doing with their APUs will ultimately benefit PC gaming a lot with low end systems.

According to the steam hardware surveys, it tends to be around 60% of systems are Nvidia are 30% are AMD. However, more of the AMD cards are from the R9/R7 series, whereas Nvidia have less of their cards from the 700 series, suggesting more New sales for AMD but less overall market share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Why is Intel on that list for gpu? I don't think the potato graphics core attached to Intel CPUs should count. AMD gets a pass for actually having a graphics division.

it still powers a desply

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/02/10/intel-details-first-cpu-with-integrated-gpu/1

Not Intel's first. The world's first, and aimed at business users.

the devil is in the details http://us.hardware.info/news/15341/igp-32nm-arrandale-processor-can-be-disabled

gpu was integrated on package not on die...not until sandybridge and llano.

Why is Intel on that list for gpu? I don't think the potato graphics core attached to Intel CPUs should count. AMD gets a pass for actually having a graphics division.

Actually, Intel have only been going from strength to strength with their iGPU, and Broadwell is reported to have a SKU with a 2 TerraFLOP iGPU, around GTX 570 performance.

They're a legitimate GPU maker now.

Also, Google "Intel Larrabe" and you'ok see that at one point Intel had Nvidia worried about their GPUs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

the devil is in the details http://us.hardware.info/news/15341/igp-32nm-arrandale-processor-can-be-disabled

Still the first CPU/GPU combined unit.

the devil is in the details http://us.hardware.info/news/15341/igp-32nm-arrandale-processor-can-be-disabled

Bloody semantics who cares?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Still the first CPU/GPU combined unit.

Bloody semantics who cares?

it matters because this is technically the same as if it was a motherboard igp or add in card. It is on package not on-die, the difference is technical, not semantics!

it matters because this is technically the same as if it was a motherboard igp or add in card. It is on package not on-die, the difference is technical, not semantics!

Not really. You're buying a CPU/GPU unit that is motherboard independent.

Not really. You're buying a CPU/GPU unit that is motherboard independent.

not quite related, I am referring to the fact that this isn't an igp and that didn't happen until sandybridge. Being on package and being on die are vastly different things.

not quite related, I am referring to the fact that this isn't an igp and that didn't happen until sandybridge. Being on package and being on die are vastly different things.

It's still "Integrated" as you can put the unit on any board that supports it and have video out, rather than requiring a specific board with a video adapter

The difference meant nothing in terms of performance and capability. Who cares which way it was implemented as long as it fulfilled a need and received high demand? Yes, now we have on-die, but who honestly cares? Everyone seems to think AMD is the only innovating force in the room, despite the fact they haven't been able to compete with Intel in any major market. Now things will be a little more interesting, but jeez. Get some perspective.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's still "Integrated" as you can put the unit on any board that supports it and have video out, rather than requiring a specific board with a video adapter

These are the kind of things for what patents are filled. I really doubt Intel considers it the same IP, therefore it's more then semantics.

sooo you're saying 50% of the desktops don't have gpu's because they run on intel integrated graphics?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

yes they have better margin, but thats bad for us gamers, we are paying more that we should

They're not in the clear as much as Intel but yes that's a good point

-------

Current Rig

-------

doesn't anyone read the article before commenting?

A quick look at cheap laptops and it's very easy to see why AMD have gained market share for GPUs.  Nearly everything under $400-$500 has an AMD APU in it. As far as discrete GPUs go AMDs shipment decreased by 10% while Nvidias by 21%.  So the actually year on year figures look better for AMD but still have them at half the market share of Nvidia.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

doesn't anyone read the article before commenting?

A quick look at cheap laptops and it's very easy to see why AMD have gained market share for GPUs. Nearly everything under $400-$500 has an AMD APU in it. As far as discrete GPUs go AMDs shipment decreased by 10% while Nvidias by 21%. So the actually year on year figures look better for AMD but still have them at half the market share of Nvidia.

This. Nvidia still holds around 60% of dGPU market share.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Also the article is from August and we are into 4th quarter now?....

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Simple, Ultrabooks and laptop gpus are intel, Intel is pretty big, they may team with google to make robots and kill us all, but meh

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Good. Nvidia is still strong in the GPU market, but the extra competition is definitely great for consumers. That might explain the aggressive GTX 900 series pricing and I suspect that the pendulum will have swung back towards Nvidia in the next quarter's data due to the aggressive pricing. However, AMD is also cutting their prices, so we will see what happens. Either way, consumer wins.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

It doesn't really matter all that much about market share if you aren't making much of a profit from each GPU you sell. Nvidia makes a larger profit from it's GPU's then AMD. I would imagine. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

So looking at the numbers, it's their APU's that are gaining traction and notebook gpus? is that right?

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Well the GTX 7xx series was very uninspiring, especially disproportionate and underwhelming in pricing, and they kept it around for way too long, leading to a lot of jaded customers, I'm not surprised. It really was a shitty, shitty, shitty generation. Even the GTX 760 was always a bad deal. I wish Nvidia all the worst for that generation and attempted brute force market tactics.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.