AMD Climbs 11% in GPU Shipments in Q2, Intel up 4% NVIDIA down 8.3%

BiG StroOnZ

• AMD's overall unit shipments increased 11% quarter-to-quarter, Intel's total shipments increased 4% from last quarter, and Nvidia's decreased 8.3%.
  • The attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs, for the quarter was 139% (up 3.2%) and 32% of PCs had discrete GPUs, (down 3.6%) which mean 68% of the PCs are using the embedded graphics in the CPU.
  • The overall PC market increased 1.3% quarter-to-quarter, and decreased 1.7% year-to-year.
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs declined 17.5%.

28c3qft.jpg

ekkkxz.jpg

The quarter in general

• AMD's shipments of desktop heterogeneous GPU/CPUs, i.e., APUs increased 16.7% from the previous quarter, and increased 10.3% in notebooks. AMD's discrete desktop shipments decreased 10.7% and notebook discrete shipments increased 30.6%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments increased 11%.
  • Intel's desktop processor embedded graphics (EPGs) shipments increased from last quarter by 7.2%, and notebooks increased by 1.9%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments increased 4.1%.
  • Nvidia's desktop discrete shipments decreased 21% from last quarter; and the company's notebook discrete shipments increased 6.9%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments decreased 8.3%.
  • Year-to-year this quarter AMD's overall PC shipments decreased 22%, Intel increased 4.2%, Nvidia decreased 12.7%, and others essentially went away.
  • Total discrete GPU (desktop and notebook) shipments from the last quarter decreased 3.6%, and decreased 13.3% from last year. Sales of discrete GPUs fluctuate due to a variety of factors (timing, memory pricing, etc.) and the influence of integrated graphics. Overall, the trend for discrete GPUs has increased with a CAGR from 2014 to 2017 now of -5.6% (from -10%).
  • Ninety nine percent of Intel's non-server processors have graphics, and over 65% of AMD's non-server processors contain integrated graphics; AMD still ships integrated graphics chipsets (IGPs).

Source 1: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/jpr-amd-climbs-11-in-gpu-shipments-in-q2intel-up-4-nvidia-lower.html

Tried searching, didn't come up with anything. Not sure though. Hopefully not repost. 

Noooo Nvidia. COME BAAAACK.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

you gotta be kidding theres no way nvidia lost market share and amd gained so much

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Source 1: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/jpr-amd-climbs-11-in-gpu-shipments-in-q2intel-up-4-nvidia-lower.html

Tried searching, didn't come up with anything. Not sure though. Hopefully not repost. 

well once the 390x comes out it will be pc gamer heaven with price cuts deals and bundle packages

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Why is Intel on that list for gpu? I don't think the potato graphics core attached to Intel CPUs should count.

Still a GPU. The GPU on a A4 APU is pretty terrible too, but it still counts.

Still a GPU. The GPU on a A4 APU is pretty terrible too, but it still counts.

Edited my post slightly, I've also pushed AMD's APU core to the side and think focus on GPU sales should be strictly between actual graphics cards to show a better representation of sales. People can't choose if their CPU also has a graphics core in some cases vs choosing which card to run.

you gotta be kidding theres no way nvidia lost market share and amd gained so much

I think this is dedicated GPUs and APUs combined. As far as dedicated GPU market share, Nvidia is still king.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

And 390x will be watercooled.  :D

Where is everyone getting info on this rumoured 390x?

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

Edited my post slightly, I've also pushed AMD's APU core to the side and think focus on GPU sales should be strictly between actual graphics cards to show a better representation of sales. People can't choose if their CPU also has a graphics core in some cases vs choosing which card to run.

I think they are doing it because its easier to calculate it that way. A Radeon 260x and A10-7800K(or whatever their APU is) are both recognized as "Radeons" even though they are different product categories. If they count AMD's APUs as a GPU, it would only be fair to include Intels as well. They could make a separate category for things like APU's, but it would be even more confusing since mobile chips like the Snapdragon 801 would be included(since its technically an APU).

AMD has to compete with the integrated graphics from intel and with Nvidia on the dedicated GPU side, it's nice to see that they're making good business. Numbers that just show dedicated desktop GPUs would be nice as well. Also, I would like to remind some people that a healthy competitor is good for everyone, even if you just buy Nvidia GPUs you should still be rooting for AMD and hope that they bring some amazing products to the table and that they do well.

That's good news for AMD but the important question is whether they're making money or not. It's all good and dandy that your market share is growing, but if you are not making money in the process that's not a good sign. AMD is not a fucking humongous corporation that can bank roll for 5 years straight just to kill the competition. Nvidia may be "losing" (I put that in quotes because in my opinion that's debatable) market share, but they are making truck loads of money, and they can use that money to grow and advance. I have high hopes for AMD, but being a little bit cynical from time to time never killed anyone.

Where is everyone getting info on this rumoured 390x?

There was a picture not too long ago that was circulating that appeared to be a shroud for a new AMD GPU that was very similar to the 295x2 shroud but slightly modified to support only a single GPU as opposed to a dual GPU. It also makes sense considering the backlash AMD had from their reference coolers for the R9 290 and 290X. One of the main issues with this cooler was its loudness and the fact that it didn't really effectively cool the unit. Which caused significant throttling. Considering AMD released the 295x2 with great success, and positive feedback from the community. It would only make sense to take that miracle to the 390 and 390x. Leaving air coolers to the non-reference market. It would allow them to clock the next card significantly higher, while it still remains cool and quiet. 

nvidia most likely had lower sales because everyone was expecting the new series

Nice. Bring on the Mantle titles. More people on AMD than people that are on DX 11.2 (Win 8.1) and is easily transitions to DX 12.

Not that I really need it with a 4770k, but I think it is awesome for people on stock clocks and non K Intel's and AMD CPU's (majority of PC gamers). 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I also suspect Nvidia is making more money overall but good for amd anyways

yes they have better margin, but thats bad for us gamers, we are paying more that we should

Why is Intel on that list for gpu? I don't think the potato graphics core attached to Intel CPUs should count. AMD gets a pass for actually having a graphics division.

Intel: first to put GPU cores on a CPU, caters to business, originally only to run powerful enough to drive a monitor for business apps.

AMD: builds gaming-capable APUs, comes up with HSA

Intel: looks over, says "Hmm, good idea, but we can build it better in a few years." Pushes 2TFlop iGPU design for top Broadwell SKUs, essentially a GTX 570, improves drivers for old architectures, gains 10% performance in a lot of GAMES.

Intel built its GPUs for a huge market with a small need: low-power graphics that use almost no extra electricity. Now it sees the threat that is HSA and is pushing GPU compute to its limits within the die space they have to spare.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Intel: first to put GPU cores on a CPU, caters to business, originally only to run powerful enough to drive a monitor for business apps.

AMD: builds gaming-capable APUs, comes up with HSA

Intel: looks over, says "Hmm, good idea, but we can build it better in a few years." Pushes 2TFlop iGPU design for top Broadwell SKUs, essentially a GTX 570, improves drivers for old architectures, gains 10% performance in a lot of GAMES.

Intel built its GPUs for a huge market with a small need: low-power graphics that use almost no extra electricity. Now it sees the threat that is HSA and is pushing GPU compute to its limits within the die space they have to spare.

they were 6 months apart from sandybridge and llano.

they were 6 months apart from sandybridge and llano.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/02/10/intel-details-first-cpu-with-integrated-gpu/1

Not Intel's first. The world's first, and aimed at business users.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd