Installing Applications On Ubuntu

Opcode

Ubuntu Software Install Guide

So as lots of people are making the move to Linux these days. I figured I would make a little tutorial (for people who are new to Linux) of how to install a few applications that we all know and love on Ubuntu. This should be enough to get you started and to familiarize yourself with the terminal.

Chrome

wget -q https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub -O- | sudo apt-key add -sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list'sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

VLC

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-dailysudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install vlc

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install skype

Pidgin

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pidgin-developers/ppasudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install pidgin

WINE

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppasudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install wine1.6

GIMP

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimpsudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install gimp

Steam

sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install steam

VirtualBox

wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib"sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3

DropBox

wget -q https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/rpm-public-key.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://linux.dropbox.com/ubuntu/ $(lsb_release -sc) main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dropbox.list'sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install dropbox

qBittorrent

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:qbittorrent-team/qbittorrent-stablesudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install qbittorrent

Make qBittorrent the default handler for magnet links.

sudo sed -i '$a x-scheme-handler/magnet=qBittorrent.desktop;' /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

HandBrake

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releasessudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk

Shutter

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shutter/ppasudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install shutter

RecordMyDesktop

sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install gtk-recordmydesktop

Compiz Settings Manager (Plugins)

sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins

7-Zip & RAR Archive Support

sudo apt-get install p7zip-full p7zip-rar

Note: This will add 7z compression and decompression support and only RAR decompression support.

do u need to use the terminal ?

cant u just use the software center or what ever its called ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

You can, but once you get used to the terminal, it's not that bad. Hell, I have the

sudo autoclean

command stuck in my head.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You can, but its honestly in my opinion easier and cleaner to use the terminal. Plus using official PPA's will ensure you're getting the latest official stable release of the software instead of whatever Ubuntu has in their repository.

oo very useful for people making a move over, especially since most people are going with ubuntu from what i can see

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been experimenting with Ubuntu on my older laptop that I recently refurbished, I enjoy ubuntu thus far but at times I find myself a bit lost as to what I can do on the PC... What are some of the best uses I can get from using Ubuntu? I am currently in my first week of taking a Linux OS course in college but I look forward to hearing everyone elses opinion.

I have been experimenting with Ubuntu on my older laptop that I recently refurbished, I enjoy ubuntu thus far but at times I find myself a bit lost as to what I can do on the PC... What are some of the best uses I can get from using Ubuntu? I am currently in my first week of taking a Linux OS course in college but I look forward to hearing everyone elses opinion.

From using both Windows and Linux to an extent I personally feel as Linux is not limited to anything that Windows can do. The only thing that it is lacking is support. For the time being I am able to accomplish all of my daily tasks on Ubuntu 14.04.1 except for some gaming (e.g. Battlefield 3 etc) and Windows programming (which I can do through a virtual machine). So really there's not much of a limiting factor to the operating system as a platform. Tho like said it just needs more attention from a select few industries.

Software Center doesn't include every application.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

From using both Windows and Linux to an extent I personally feel as Linux is not limited to anything that Windows can do. The only thing that it is lacking is support. For the time being I am able to accomplish all of my daily tasks on Ubuntu 14.04.1 except for some gaming (e.g. Battlefield 3 etc) and Windows programming (which I can do through a virtual machine). So really there's not much of a limiting factor to the operating system as a platform. Tho like said it just needs more attention from a select few industries.

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while and you just reminded me.

Have you used Wine for gaming? I've wanted to know how viable of an option it is for using windows programs (i.e Games) in Linux

Also how does Wine even work??

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while and you just reminded me.

Have you used Wine for gaming? I've wanted to know how viable of an option it is for using windows programs (i.e Games) in Linux

Also how does Wine even work??

I have used WINE for gaming. It does work with quite a few Windows games tho you would have to check their official support list to get an idea of what exactly works. As some game engines simply refuse to run on WINE (EA). Tho I have ran San Andreas, RCT2, and a few other older games without a single hiccup after installing proprietary blobs for my GPU.

I'm guessing it requires more attention to get certain applications and things to go smoothly. For college I will stick with windows except for the Linux class and for my daily use laptop I'll keep ubuntu on it for now, might go to fedora 21 though? or should I stay with Ubuntu?

I'm guessing it requires more attention to get certain applications and things to go smoothly. For college I will stick with windows except for the Linux class and for my daily use laptop I'll keep ubuntu on it for now, might go to fedora 21 though? or should I stay with Ubuntu?

For the most part installing applications can be a little bit tedious if they aren't available in the official repositories. Tho after the software is installed customizing it is about as effortless as the Windows variant.