Mozilla to release an official 64bit build of firefox

AlexGoesHigh

Previously when Mozilla was pressed about why they had no 64 bit version they would say it's because firefox never uses more than 4GB RAM anyway...

HAH.

i can go up to 8 gigs at times

In before it ends up like the 64bit build of Minefield. More bugs, lower performance and less compatibility.

I don't really see a big need for a 64bit build but oh well.

I'm sorry waterfox, you've been replaced...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Give it another try the latest update improved the UI.

Not in my opinion...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Perhaps. Perhaps not. If you aren't already using more than 4GB while browsing then probably not.

Heaviest use I get to is about 20 tabs of youtube open at once. Possibly more. Mainly because I forget to close them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not in my opinion...

I call that utter BS, the UI for almost all modern browsers are basically the same.

I call that utter BS, the UI for almost all modern browsers are basically the same.

Are you fucking kidding me? You're not much of a designer if you can't see important differences between them.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Are you fucking kidding me? You're not much of a designer if you can't see important differences between them.

Then enlighten me with those super important differences I most likely don't care about. The only browser that did things differently is dead.

Then enlighten me with those super important differences I most likely don't care about. The only browser that did things differently is dead.

If you don't care about them why do you want to know them?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

if your talking about IE, we'll it's biggest problem right now is the reputation it has from the XP days, IE 11 is pretty decent atm, there's still better alternatives out there but it's far away from the POS it used to be

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

If you don't care about them why do you want to know them?

Maybe you can come up with this superb browser UI feature that will change my life (and save some kittens) and that way prove me being wrong.

I would like to know what issues you got with Firefox's GUI as well.

Maybe you can come up with this superb browser UI feature that will change my life (and save some kittens) and that way prove me being wrong.

Change your life? No. If any browser changes your life I'd be surprised. I prefer Safari's UI. It supports gestures throughout and it's completely customizable. Here's what mine looks like:

nLqkMjt.png

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

if your talking about IE, we'll it's biggest problem right now is the reputation it has from the XP days, IE 11 is pretty decent atm, there's still better alternatives out there but it's far away from the POS it used to be

Nah, the dead one I am referring is presto based Opera. I agree current IE is quite ok.

I would like to know what issues you got with Firefox's GUI as well.

Well not so much that I don't use it but it's never my first choice. Outside of Safari sure but I'm almost never outside of Safari. It just feels cluttered and a bit incomplete is all with the way they organize the toolbar. It feels thrown together and the design is still the sort of pseudo-3D depth stuff with drop shadow and gradients everywhere.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Sometimes I miss Firefox...then I see the terrible UI and no longer do.

Do you not see the hypocrisy of your unhappiness with the way people come into Apple related threads to make comments just like you have made here?

You don't use it and don't like it, that's OK but we don't care. :)

Do you not see the hypocrisy of your unhappiness with the way people come into Apple related threads to make comments just like you have made here?

You don't use it and don't like it, that's OK but we don't care. :)

I do use Firefox though. It's my default browser on any platform that doesn't have Safari. Just because I think they could make the UI better doesn't mean I hate it...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I prefer Chrome over Mozilla but the Firebug plugin is to web development what your favorite breakfast in bed is to life.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I do use Firefox though. It's my default browser on any platform that doesn't have Safari. Just because I think they could make the UI better doesn't mean I hate it...

I didn't say you hated it, but you will forgive me for assuming that in order for you to 'miss' it the implication was that you had not used it for at least some time.

What you said in your first post and what I've just quoted differ.

I think the FF UI is subjective, I'm happy with it how I have it set up currently.

bd859cf38416c4196c0a89e190275ce7.png

I didn't say you hated it, but you will forgive me for assuming that in order for you to 'miss' it the implication was that you had not used it for at least some time.

What you said in your first post and what I've just quoted differ.

I think the FF UI is subjective, I'm happy with it how I have it set up currently.

No I use at least one day a week every week. I'm lazy. Whenever I open a browser I just keep using it whether or not I like it until I'm forced by some environmental factor to change.

UI and UX are complex. As you can see I have a very minimalist design sense and Firefox jet doesn't do it for me. There are subjective and objective parts of a design. There is absolutely a "best way" to do things in UX, but most of us are content with having "good." I realize Firefox isn't design focused. It's not supposed to be. It's good at what it's supposed to do. They can certainly improve the UI but the reasons why I like it are because:

a) It's not Chrome

b) It's open source and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I think we can all admit that Firefox has been Chromeified recently. That's what I don't appreciate about the current design.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well not so much that I don't use it but it's never my first choice. Outside of Safari sure but I'm almost never outside of Safari. It just feels cluttered and a bit incomplete is all with the way they organize the toolbar. It feels thrown together and the design is still the sort of pseudo-3D depth stuff with drop shadow and gradients everywhere.

But Firefox don't even have any toolbars out of the box, and the ones you add yourself can be customized however you want.

There are no 3D effects, no gradients or any shadow. This is what a brand new Firefox install looks like:

post-216-0-90629600-1412610707_thumb.png

On top of that, you can customize everything about it.

Do you want to see what a bad GUI looks like (from a usability standpoint)? Look at your Safari window. Tabs on the bottom is horrible. Sadly, OS X has that horrible menu bar on the top so there isn't much you can do to improve it though. The reason why it's bad is because when you put elements on the sides they become infinitely (literally infinitely) easier to press. When you got tabs at the top you can just fling your mouse to the top without worrying about overshooting (this is one of the main things in Fitts's Law).

Maybe it's different on OS X, but on Windows the GUI is good.

On top of that, you can customize everything about it.

Do you want to see what a bad GUI looks like (from a usability standpoint)? Look at your Safari window. Tabs on the bottom is horrible. Sadly, OS X has that horrible menu bar on the top so there isn't much you can do to improve it though. The reason why it's bad is because when you put elements on the sides they become infinitely (literally infinitely) easier to press. When you got tabs at the top you can just fling your mouse to the top without worrying about overshooting (this is one of the main things in Fitts's Law).

Maybe it's different on OS X, but on Windows the GUI is good.

But here's where you mistake my usage habits: I don't navigate tabs with the mouse. I use keyboard shortcuts to flip between tabs. 

The menu bar at the top follows Fitt's Law perfectly. It's far easier to get to that menu than to use the one in Firefox. There isn't any flinging going on on this machine either because it's a trackpad so it's more natural to control than a mouse is.

On OS X from your point of view any browser is that bad because of the menu bar. I prefer the tabs on the bottom because I don't have to risk hitting the address bar by mistake. If you really hate the menu bar that much you can also just put all your windows in full screen mode. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /