SSD as boot and HDD data -drive

remyseroos

Hi,

I'm have a problem. I can't figure out what i need to do, i read a lot of forums but i't won't help.

The problem:

I have a 128 gb Kingston HyperX 3k SSD. I want my 2 OS (Windows 8 and Ubuntu) on that disk. And also a few frequently used programs.

Then I have a WD Red 3TB drive, witch I wan't as data drive. So that I normally install programs and save data on that disk. But just for Windows.

And I have a WD black 1TB drive, witch I want to store and install data for Ubuntu.

I can't figure it out, so I hope someone can help.

PS: I don't have to keep any of the data on all disk's. I'ts already backuped it.

do you want to use GRUB or the windows Bootloader.

My guess would be GRUB would be easier.

Install Ubuntu onto your SSD first using a partition of appropriate size depending on what you want you can split it 60/60 if you want.

After that install windows 8 onto your SSD using the 2nd partition.

When you boot your computer into windows 8 for the first time it will ask what you want as your default OS set it to Ubuntu.

next time you boot GRUB should load and give you a selection of Ubuntu or Windows; if you select Ubuntu it will just boot, if you select windows it will bring you to the windows 8 boot loader and ask if you want to boot windows 8 or Ubuntu select windows 8, Windows 8 will then boot. This can be fixed later. but you don't have to worry about it just select it every time.

Format the WD Red with NTFS and which ever file system Ubuntu uses.

I've not used Ubuntu in a while but I'm sure it can read NTFS partitions. so you would be able to use your 3tb drive over both OS'

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Thanks for the quick reply,

I already tried something similar but that was not what I want. I'l try to explain it a little bit better.

On the SSD I want Windows and Ubuntu. Then I want my most important apps like Adobe CS6, Sony Vegas Pro, some games and some other frequent apps (Just Windows).

Then I want my WD Red as main storage for Windows 8. So that my other program files and users folders are on that one.

Then I want my WD black drive as main storage for Ubuntu, so that everything is on that drive. So only the OS it self is on the SSD.

I also have another 1 TB drive that I'm just going to use as download drive for Torrents and Newsgroup. So I think I just need to format that one and set it as download folder in the programs it self.

I Hope I'm a little bit more clearly now and that it's even possible :p