Microsoft’s Windows 10 has permission to watch your every move

ZacDaMan72

GG Redmond.

That's a fucking low blow. Keyloggers? Really?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Who cares if there is a keylogger or not, when you join the testing program you're already giving up everything you have anyways.

Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:

• install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility;

• use voice input features, such as speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing;

• open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file and how long it takes and use it for purposes such as improving performance; or

• enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving auto-complete and spell check features.

It's not a big issue, if Windows 10 released with data collection then it would be a serious problem.

It's not like Microsoft is ramming this TECHNICAL PREVIEW, WHICH YOU HAVE TO OPT INTO down your throat. If you don't like it then don't use it.

Sorry for the caps, but c'mon seriously?...

GW2: Vettexl.9726

I have already covered this.

The private policy covers everything, it doesn't mean that OS actually does all of this.

Advance telemetry tracking is NOTHING NEW. Every preview of Windows includes deep telemetry data collection.

Private policy were front and center when you installed Windows 10, and when you joined insider program. If you didn't read, well, what can I say.

And I did cover this, and did mention about deeper telemetry data collecting in all my posts related in Windows 10 preview download.

But hey, it's Microsoft, lets bash them, without thinking for 2 seconds.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-technical-preview-data,27816.html#xtor=RSS-998

Is Microsoft watching your every move on the recently-released Windows 10 Technical Preview? That may be the case thanks to portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the company is using a keylogger, among other methods, to obtain information about the software's performance.

"When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks," the privacy policy stated. "Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."

Microsoft has revealed that when users open files, they collect info about the file - what opens the file and how long it takes to open it. Microsoft claims it uses this information to improve performance and more. They also collect info on what programs are installed, including the device installed on and uses that info to determine Windows 10's compatibity with the programs.

They have said that voice information can be collected if the user uses voice input features such as speech-to-text with speech processing improvements claimed...

"Microsoft uses data we collect from the Program to operate, improve and personalize the Program and other Microsoft products and services," the privacy policy stated. "Some data is stored on your device and some data is transmitted to Microsoft. Microsoft shares some data with our partners to improve how their products and services work with Microsoft's products and services."

According to Microsoft, the user's contact information is only used to contact that customer, whereas the preferences are used to configure Program features. Under Disclosure of Data, Microsoft states that it will only share the data with the user's consent. Microsoft also states that the company will "share or disclose information about you with other Microsoft-controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, and with vendors or agents working on our behalf."

Ok, time to stop using it and go back to Windows 8.1... The other crap is fine but really? A keylogger?!?!?

Leave this right here for ya https://tosdr.org/

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

To add to my post, the only thing that will remain, in Windows 10 official release, is tracking you interest and your location, that will be for Cortana. And that follows the same thing as Apple Siri and Google system.

Also, I like how people freak out on this, but are perfectly fine using Chrome, where Chrome does all this tracking of interest, web site you visit and and you submit through web sites. But Chrome is fine, as it doesn't contain "Microsoft", right?

Yep this is expected. I mean if they couldn't get that data why would they release it to the public and let us install and use it.

Oh and a good reason for this is how people actually properly beta test games anymore. They just play it like the preview and because of the company's just use it to test server load for the most part nowdays.

Microsoft doesn't want that to happen with Windows previews.

I don't really see the issue here.

They need to do it. They need to know where people click, what people search for etc.

Example time: A supermarket wants to know where people look when choosing a breakfast cereal. Turns out, it is the two shelves at eye-level. Items in shops are not placed on the shelves at random; this is carefully planned to maximize sales. When they combine this information with the checkout logs at the tills, they can plan ahead and get people to buy more stuff.

A city wants to improve traffic flow and pedestrian safety. They set up some CCTV cameras and put pressure sensors in the roads. They see where pedestrians cross roads without using a crossing point, and can check out why they do that. They can use the traffic data to determine traffic light cycles and (re)position pedestrian crossings.

This is no different for Microsoft. They want to know which parts of the screen are most used for placing desktop widgets. They want to know what people are looking for in the search panel, so they can improve the predictive algorithm that decides what it is you are looking for before you finish typing. If a lot of people run Calculator from the search bar instead of clicking their way through the start menu, they can have it appear in the results as soon as you type "C" or put it on the pinned applications area of the start menu by default. They could want to see what you are typing as an E-Mail subject to implement a predictive auto-complete for commonly used subject lines. They could track the amount of clicks needed to access a popular configuration pane - if it is more than 3-4, they might decide to make it easier to access.

And if you are concerned about privacy - don't do anything sensitive on it. Don't put your naked photos on that computer. Don't put things like confidential documents on it either. Use it as it is supposed to be used: a way to let Microsoft avoid the usability and design disaster that was Windows 8. Linux is looking to become a viable platform for gamers - Microsoft wants to keep their customers. More and more governments and large businesses are looking for alternatives too, and those large contracts matter a lot. Microsoft needs to get Windows 10 right. They can't afford to not please people this time around. To do that, they need this deep telemetry data.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I am not participating in the preview but I think a keylogger would be important. It would really help to be able to recreate a situation that lead to a failure or glitch. The whole idea of this was to get a lot of people stumbling onto problems that need debugging and get input. You are not supposed to use it exclusively or relay/trust it.

I have to say to amount of stuff I had to put in, email add capture and the lot when installing was ridiculous, but I agree that for what this is (basically an early access) it makes sense that they collect all they can that would make bug-reporting a lot easier.

What really surprised me though is that you can just download the thing and there's no line saying "don't use this as a primary platform" as far as I could see. What I mean is the download page should tell you to only use this in a VM and if you don't know what that means leave it alone!

Well just don't play with it expecting anything solid yet, but I'm repeating what's already been established by other members here.

They tell you, you agree to giving them data.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

How is this news?

Wait you mean it's news to people becasue a company actually said " hey im watching every thing you do " due to 1 its a beta or hell just becasue they can because people are not smart enough to read disclamers?!

Is anyone seriously using W10 preview as their daily driver?

Is anyone seriously using W10 preview as their daily driver?

Yes i am currently using it on my Main system, they want ALL MY DATAS they can have it, as long as they fix shit.

On a side note Wins 10 <3 love it! Bf4 crashes less with win10 then with windows 8/8.1 so far solid like a rock!

Think about it this way your basically useing a alpha game as you main os. People that don't mind bashing their head on the table on a regular basis will use it as their daily driver and Microsoft will appreciate it.

nothing surprising here, since this is what this technical preview mean to be. also this thing already stated in the license agreement when you install it.

I stay away from it not because of email/name bla bla i just dont want M$ to have a list of everything i have on my pc everyfile and whatnot,unless i unplug my main files HDD from motherboard while running 10.

I have a lot of stuff i want to stay private(all that hentai dam it),no but really collecting account info/usage info/crash/error info/usability info is one thing but gathering everything they can intrusively pisses me off.

I dont like it i dont want,pray it something like that wont make its way into final version cause windows will be dead.And dont scream at me with "its a goddamn beta" bla bla,i dont care.

System Restore here I come 

I don't really care, honestly

I doubt microsoft is going to steal my passwords, and it's not like im doing anything super sensitive

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

PFmEi2E.gif

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I don't really care, honestly

I doubt microsoft is going to steal my passwords, and it's not like im doing anything super sensitive

Same. I have Windows 10 on my Gaming PC and my laptop. All I do on my PC is play games, write news articles for LTT, and watch anime. I only use my laptop for watching anime in bed. All of my music and important documents are on my Mac

Just install on to a spared HDD or VM and always use IE. I wonder if you get any rewards for this?

I had participated back with this Vista consumer feedback program and they gave you like 5 different software choices. After 3 months of feedback, I got my reward in the mail and that was a retail version of Vista Ultimate both 32bit and 64bit. Other rewards they had was Office 2007 Ultimate, Streets and Trips, Microsoft Money, and Encarta 2008 Premium

The most recent was Win8 consumer preview and after 4 months, they can either pick Office 2010 or some Xbox Games.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I will actually be testing this out on my main system once my exams get over on the 11th. I am a surround user and even on Windows 7, some of the stuff remained broken until a few months ago. If I can help with a smoother deployment for users like myself, I will really not mind that. :) PS- Does anyone know after how much time is the TP getting over?

PC in Profile