Microsoft’s Windows 10 has permission to watch your every move

ZacDaMan72

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-windows-technical-preview-data,27816.html#xtor=RSS-998

Edit: THIS IS TO RAISE AWARENESS, PEOPLE.

Is Microsoft watching your every move on the recently-released Windows 10 Technical Preview? That may be the case thanks to portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the company is using a keylogger, among other methods, to obtain information about the software's performance.

"When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks," the privacy policy stated. "Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."

Microsoft has revealed that when users open files, they collect info about the file - what opens the file and how long it takes to open it. Microsoft claims it uses this information to improve performance and more. They also collect info on what programs are installed, including the device installed on and uses that info to determine Windows 10's compatibity with the programs.

They have said that voice information can be collected if the user uses voice input features such as speech-to-text with speech processing improvements claimed...

"Microsoft uses data we collect from the Program to operate, improve and personalize the Program and other Microsoft products and services," the privacy policy stated. "Some data is stored on your device and some data is transmitted to Microsoft. Microsoft shares some data with our partners to improve how their products and services work with Microsoft's products and services."

According to Microsoft, the user's contact information is only used to contact that customer, whereas the preferences are used to configure Program features. Under Disclosure of Data, Microsoft states that it will only share the data with the user's consent. Microsoft also states that the company will "share or disclose information about you with other Microsoft-controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, and with vendors or agents working on our behalf."

Ok, time to stop using it and go back to Windows 8.1... The other crap is fine but really? A keylogger?!?!?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

There are thousands of other ways that the internet collects your information. Basically ALL your information is already somewhere on a database. This won't make any difference to the privacy that you don't have.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No shit xD

Thats the whole point of the beta... People are dumb

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So they wanna know the hotspots that people are checking out the most when navigating around Win10

This 'monitoring' Isn't a deal breaker, their trying to focus wants VS needs.

Simple really... once you know this ^OP^ info (By the way, Kudo's for sharing it, I already knew, but others didn't I'm sure)

You have a choice.

Stop using the product, or keep using the product.

People will obviously have different feelings about this collected data of course.

Again... Stop using the product, or keep using the product.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

So, they're doing exactly what they said they would do. Okay. You shouldn't be using this as your primary OS with sensitive data in the first place...

Well... no surprises there, Thanks once again Microsoft... :mellow:

Details separate people.

People will know that their data will be collected since it's it's a windows insider program(Also it's already stated in their privacy policy and if you didn't read it you're just an ignorant). I won't be surprised if they can get all of your data in your computer.

Please don't use windows 10 if you're not going to contribute/afraid to share your data(just saying this to those that might want to use it in the future)

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

and why is this even news? everyone agreed to this even before downloading the preview and ms openly stated they will do this on the announcement, if you don't agree whit don't use it and wait for final release

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The only thing I don't really like is the keylogger, everything else is fine...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Its. A. God. DAMN. BETA!

I don't see the issue. Just another thing people are to sensitive about. A lot of people could know a lot of things, just by looking at your email or I.P

A key logger it's a bit much even for a beta, particularly since it's not a closed beta but an open one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Even if you're using 8.1.... with the NSA around it's still not going to make a difference

"Rawr XD"

Holy shit. 

This isn't even a BETA. Its a technical preview for industry folk. Call it a alpha. 

IT STRAIGHT UP TELLS YOU IT WILL BE COLLECTING DATA! 

MS wants to know what people are doing and how they do it. They want to know how you're using the system. They are mining the everlasting shit out of this testing period to actually figure out what works, whats broken, and what users don't mind but needs changing.

Is a key logger over the top? IDK. Who the hell runs a technical preview as a daily driver? TPs collect more data than even a beta, how are people shocked and how are people trying to turn this into yet another "DAE MICROSOFT IS HITLER?" scenario? 

@Dietrichw you are making the assumption that people can even READ much less read the EULA. FFS this section is going downhill with the sensationalist, tabloid level articles and posting without reading the very source articles the post in their threads. 

I know I'm still not on the ball with properly formatted articles and titles/text that are reasonably balanced if not bias free entirely, but this is just sad. 

A key logger it's a bit much even for a beta, particularly since it's not a closed beta but an open one.

Not an issue for me, they have all my passwords, emails, accounts, addresses already.

Okay, I admit that the keylogger is excessive. Still though, just avoid using it for sensitive information.

Not an issue for me, they have all my passwords, emails, accounts, addresses already.

A key logger can not only get all those but it can basically put you in an NSA fastrack to know anything you ever written so if you for example typed bomb the white house like I did you're setting up an alarm somewhere, btw say Hi cause I likely triggered the alerts for everyone here :D

-------

Current Rig

-------

what did you expect its a preview meant to help with development. they need all the info possible

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

What's the expectation?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I don't mind as long as its used only to help with windows development and not miss used for other non-related things.