Prime95 rounding was 0.5 expected 0.4

So recently ive won a graphics card from AMD, Ive had all kinds of problems with it so I got a new one and had the same problems, I think its a compatibility issue, but anyways I ran prime95 to see if maybe it was a CPU issue, I got the error "rounding was 0.5 expected 0.4" on the first blend test, so I changed back to my 7970 and the test is working fine now? I figured the gpu wouldnt be the cause for a cpu intensive program but can it? very strange.

Run it longer and it might fail again.

I tested it twice before with that gpu in the system, both failed on the first test. This one is onto the 4th test and still no fails, though I anticipate working it for another while. Not overclocked but its strange, Ive been getting issues that noone has seen before, like go check this out http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/226350-motherboard-splash-screen-broken-with-r9-285/#entry3100443, thats some of the problems ive been having, but changing out that graphics card seems to just fix everything, so it really seems to be a compatibility issue here, Ive talked extensively with Gigabyte, AMD and Sapphire and neither of them have ever heard of these issues before.

Increase voltage to the Ram.

If it is 1.5V in bios change it to 1.525V

Increase voltage to the Ram.

If it is 1.5V in bios change it to 1.525V

Why do you sound so certain? the ram has worked perfectly for years at these settings :P Not trying to sound rude, just curious as to why you think its the ram

Why do you sound so certain? the ram has worked perfectly for years at these settings :P Not trying to sound rude, just curious as to why you think its the ram

Rounding errors in Prime95 usually are caused by low CPU or RAM voltage. Or incorrect ram timings or speed. 

Rounding errors in Prime95 usually are caused by low CPU or RAM voltage. Or incorrect ram timings or speed. 

This^^. More times then not, it was my CPU voltage though.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Yeah still get the errors, honestly think its a motherboard issue, I ran memtest through 1 pass, no errors, Ill run it through more passes later, Im thinking it might be a MoBo but its generally the same cores that fail, so not sure?

Yeah still get the errors, honestly think its a motherboard issue, I ran memtest through 1 pass, no errors, Ill run it through more passes later, Im thinking it might be a MoBo but its generally the same cores that fail, so not sure?

Post all of your settings in your mobo.

I have a 990FXA-UD7 Rev 1.1 and it's my main rig and my OC board so I am quite familiar with it.

The reason for the ram voltage increase is that Gigabyte has a issue of out putting lower voltage for the ram.

Example I put 1.500V in for memory voltage but only get 1.488. If I change that to 1.525 I end up with 1.504 Volts. So the step up in voltage should help with memory speed.

Also which exact ram kit do you have? And what is your CPU/NB voltage?

Post all of your settings in your mobo.

I have a 990FXA-UD7 Rev 1.1 and it's my main rig and my OC board so I am quite familiar with it.

The reason for the ram voltage increase is that Gigabyte has a issue of out putting lower voltage for the ram.

Example I put 1.500V in for memory voltage but only get 1.488. If I change that to 1.525 I end up with 1.504 Volts. So the step up in voltage should help with memory speed.

Also which exact ram kit do you have? And what is your CPU/NB voltage?

Everything is stock, and my RAM is now down to 1333, still get the same issues so its not the ram, its either the motherboard or the CPU. 

Everything is stock, and my RAM is now down to 1333, still get the same issues so its not the ram, its either the motherboard or the CPU. 

Which Version board do you have and is it on the latest bios?

Which Version board do you have and is it on the latest bios?

Yup, latest Bios, I have rev 1.1

Yup, latest Bios, I have rev 1.1

Put the bios on F10.

Set CPU/NB voltage to 1.25 volts. Stock will be 1.18 volts

Change your ram voltage to 1.525. That will give you 1.504 volts. If you set 1.500 in the bios you're actually gettting 1.488.

Those two settings will help the ram and IMC greatly and "should" eliminate any rounding errors caused by either as long as the voltage to the CPU is high enough.

EDIT: oh and you are trying to run 4x4GB dimms. So that may be a problem. What speed are you trying to run them at? If it's higher then 1600mhz, that is the problem.

Put the bios on F10.

Set CPU/NB voltage to 1.25 volts. Stock will be 1.18 volts

Change your ram voltage to 1.525. That will give you 1.504 volts. If you set 1.500 in the bios you're actually gettting 1.488.

Those two settings will help the ram and IMC greatly and "should" eliminate any rounding errors caused by either as long as the voltage to the CPU is high enough.

EDIT: oh and you are trying to run 4x4GB dimms. So that may be a problem. What speed are you trying to run them at? If it's higher then 1600mhz, that is the problem.

Just trying to get 1600, not trying to overclock them at all. Ill try this and test again, is the freezing issue and BSOD because of the rounding errors?

Just trying to get 1600, not trying to overclock them at all. Ill try this and test again, is the freezing issue and BSOD because of the rounding errors?

It doesn't help.

Try the increased voltages on the F10 bios(F11 I had issues with) and see if that fixes the rounding errors.

Very few 8350s etc will run 4 dimms at 1866. 

It doesn't help.

Try the increased voltages on the F10 bios(F11 I had issues with) and see if that fixes the rounding errors.

Very few 8350s etc will run 4 dimms at 1866. 

Im thinking it might be some sort of hardware failure because everything worked perfectly before, never had errors like this on stock before.

Im thinking it might be some sort of hardware failure because everything worked perfectly before, never had errors like this on stock before.

Get rid of the rounding errors first then move onto hardware. It is possible that one of the ram sticks is having issues and you'll have to test each kit to figure out if that is the problem.

Get rid of the rounding errors first then move onto hardware. It is possible that one of the ram sticks is having issues and you'll have to test each kit to figure out if that is the problem.

In that case I'll just grab a few sticks from my other PC and run the tests, if the RAM is at fault than that will clear everything up.

In that case I'll just grab a few sticks from my other PC and run the tests, if the RAM is at fault than that will clear everything up.

Try the voltage bumps first. If they pass good but you still have issues then you can eliminate your ram from the list and move onto other hardware. Adding another set of ram will only complicate things.

Make sure you have the timings for the ram entered in manually as well as the speed. Don't leave it on auto. 

Try the voltage bumps first. If they pass good but you still have issues then you can eliminate your ram from the list and move onto other hardware. Adding another set of ram will only complicate things.

Make sure you have the timings for the ram entered in manually as well as the speed. Don't leave it on auto. 

I went and put the bios back to where it was before I started getting these issues, going to see if it stops the errors, did you ever heard of this motherboard having issues with the splash screen with certain cards? thats the main reason I think its the board acting up, if you never seen the post here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/226350-motherboard-splash-screen-broken-with-r9-285/

I went and put the bios back to where it was before I started getting these issues, going to see if it stops the errors, did you ever heard of this motherboard having issues with the splash screen with certain cards? thats the main reason I think its the board acting up, if you never seen the post here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/226350-motherboard-splash-screen-broken-with-r9-285/

Nope they have fairly good compatibility and I have not seen any of the issues you are having.

Are you on 14.9? Try 14.7.

Nope they have fairly good compatibility and I have not seen any of the issues you are having.

Are you on 14.9? Try 14.7.

its the same with all of them, thinking Ima just send my MoBo for RMA just incase, but I literally live as far away as I can from them in north America, I live in Newfoundland, St. johns, and their area is in California, just go look at them, theyre literally as far away as you can get from the habitable north american regions, so it'll cost me like 80 dollars to send it. Also do you know anyone who has a r9 285 that works perfectly on their 990fxa ud7?

its the same with all of them, thinking Ima just send my MoBo for RMA just incase, but I literally live as far away as I can from them in north America, I live in Newfoundland, St. johns, and their area is in California, just go look at them, theyre literally as far away as you can get from the habitable north american regions, so it'll cost me like 80 dollars to send it. Also do you know anyone who has a r9 285 that works perfectly on their 990fxa ud7?

Why dont you try the voltage changes first?

Gigabyte will just fix the mobo if they can. They will only replace the mobo if there is something wrong they can't fix so you might end up spending 80 dollars to send it in and have them send it right back.

I do not know anyone that uses a 285.

Why dont you try the voltage changes first?

Gigabyte will just fix the mobo if they can. They will only replace the mobo if there is something wrong they can't fix so you might end up spending 80 dollars to send it in and have them send it right back.

I do not know anyone that uses a 285.

Thats what I'm doing but its strange that this card doesnt work with the board but it works with other PC's so I'm thinking the board has faults on it.