FCC pauses clock on Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger

dlf

Source: http://nypost.com/2014/10/03/fcc-pauses-clock-on-comcast-time-warner-cable-merger/

Quote:

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission said on Friday it paused its “shot-clock” on the review of the proposed $45 billion merger between the two largest U.S. cable providers, Comcast Corp and Time Warner Cable Inc.

The FCC, which will determine whether the deal is in the public interest, said it is stopping its informal 180-day clock to review the merger until Oct. 29, the new deadline for the public and stakeholders to comment, or until the agency is satisfied with Comcast’s response to requests for additional information. The deadline had been set for Oct. 8.

On Friday, the FCC’s review of the merger was in day 85 of the 180-day self-imposed informal deadline to complete transaction reviews. The FCC’s review had been expected to be finished on or around Jan. 6.

Opinion: HELL NO to ANY cable company merging, splitting them all up? FIne . . . Them rolling out fiber across the country? Fine . . . . . . (yeah, right).

Petition against merger:  https://secure2.convio.net/comcau/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=321

"yeah we'll roll out fiber"

*rolls out fiber to all customers, but limits speed to 20 mbit for $150/month.*

-_-

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The service TWC gives me cannot get any worse honestly so a merger may be better in my case.

the merger wont make it any better, i can guarantee you that.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

the merger wont make it any better, i can guarantee you that.

Comcast offers better packages in my area but do not offer service specifically where I live

The service TWC gives me cannot get any worse honestly so a merger may be better in my case.

you need to look at this on a large scale, not just yourself. I mean I have cox I dont even have comcast. I get 100 mbit for $70 a month which is very good imo, not google fiber good but good compared to a lot of other ISP's

But I still care. Because if they merge, the monopoly they have will be reason for them to charge more per month at slower speeds for customers. They will become a money monster...

and why? cause there is no other competition.

so its really best to prevernt this, sure it is possible services will improve but by letting it happen you are risking a lot..

I encourage all to sign the petition. Dont think everyone else will do it.

Once there was an apartment building, everyone was sitting outside and they all saw someone get murdered in the parking lot. No one called the police because they thought the neighbor would. The murderer got away and was never found.

This is why it's important to take action YOURSELF and care about what you stand for. if anything, youll be a motivator for other people.

So please take part in the voting, not just the guy I quoted but to all who read this!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I can tell you right now Comcast will not improve your services upon a merger. Regardless of the services you get from TWC or from Comcast, there are many other reasons why this merger is a bad idea, not just from what you get from it. Comcast is a tyrant and they cannot be allowed to merge. If they managed to merge, the local cable companies here where I live would be put out of business and people would lose their jobs to Comcast creating a monopoly—that is one example for why this is a bad idea.

The situation with the behaviour of US telecoms corps is a global joke at this point.

:(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Deadline for net neutrality? Yes, but the merger between comcast and time warner? No.

Ah, got them mixed up. Good to know.

-snip-

In my area I only have the option of TWC who sells me 20 down and 1 up for $90/ month or an even more stupidly expensive package. TWC is not competition for Comcast in most any area. Comcast offers other parts of my town 50 down and 10 up for $40/ month instead but not the subdivision I live in.

I can tell you right now Comcast will not improve your services upon a merger. Regardless of the services you get from TWC or from Comcast, there are many other reasons why this merger is a bad idea, not just from what you get from it. Comcast is a tyrant and they cannot be allowed to merge. If they managed to merge, the local cable companies here where I live would be put out of business and people would lose their jobs to Comcast creating a monopoly—that is one example for why this is a bad idea.

After the merger was announced we received a letter from Comcast informing us of this an explaining a speed increase upon the finilazation of the merger for a reduced price. Since I only have one option that seems fair to me.

After the merger was announced we received a letter from Comcast informing us of this an explaining a speed increase upon the finilazation of the merger for a reduced price. Since I only have one option that seems fair to me.

You are thinking only of how this will impact you, and not everyone as a whole.

edit

grammar

Edited by Albatross

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Why would you listen to a company, especially an internet one?! Never trust any big company - or the cake, it's a lie - trying to "make things better." they make it better for themselves not for the consumer. It's more probable that your service would be more expensive.

PC gaming is superior to console gaming, but the gamers themselves are neither superior or inferior to one another: they're just people with varying degrees of understanding.

- http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide

I also enjoy watching SinusTechTips with @Puke_Lafr (from WAN Show Afterparty)

You are thinking only of how this will impact you, not not everyone as a whole.

This is the case in most small places, either Comcast, TWC, or AT&T are the only choice for people there is no competition. The merger will not effect people in smaller towns you make it seem like there is competition in every sector. It's pretty split where there is competition and where there is not, also most towns will have predetermined lines where ISP's can sell their service to prevent competition. Have you ever even attended a town meeting before?

Why would you listen to a company, especially an internet one?! Never trust any big company - or the cake, it's a lie - trying to "make things better." they make it better for themselves not for the consumer. It's more probable that your service would be more expensive.

You can't advertise cheaper and faster services and then charge more and give slower speeds without defining it in fine print on the documentation. Otherwise it's false advertising which is illegal and no such fine print exists on said document.

This is the case in most small places, either Comcast, TWC, or AT&T are the only choice for people there is no competition. The merger will not effect people in smaller towns you make it seem like there is competition in every sector. It's pretty split where there is competition and where there is not, also most towns will have predetermined lines where ISP's can sell their service to prevent competition. Have you ever even attended a town meeting before?

I live in a "small place" and there are many other options than TWC, AT&T and Comcast. -_-

This merger would give Comcast power over two-thirds of American households (I think that is 30 million subscribers). Those people will have no other legitimate alternative to take, either. That is a lot of breathing room taken from competition, don't you agree? Here is but one example why a merger like this is a bad idea. Comcast owns NBCUniversal and they could easily charge DirecTV more for NBC content to force them (or any other rival) to hike up their prices, which would then turn their customers away and toward Comcast. They would literally control the market with all that power and range if they are allowed to control content distribution and prices.

They will of course have control of more than NBCUniversal to use as bargaining chips against competitors. Some of the channels/content it would control would be Bravo, Syfy, USA Network, Weather channel, E!, G4, CNBC and MSNBC. I believe the list is larger, as well.  This kind of action would force other competitors to merge to even keep up with Comcast, therefore reducing competition even more. All of this would lead to price fixes and rate increases (which, by the way, they do all the time). It wouldn't be the first time something like this happened either (1990s).

And like Comcast should have any more power and money to lobby for its policies to be favored anyways. Our government is already too deep in their pockets for that to be any good, thank you.

So I think you should stop thinking about how this might benefit you and how it will negatively effect people as a whole.

(sorry if I made any grammar mistakes and jumbled things up; tired as hell)

-snip-

Again you aren't really looking at the big picture at all, what do you define as a "small place" anyway? I'd say it's under 10,000 as the population. Regardless, towns will meet and decide dividing lines for ISP's. These are "zones" that are defined where each ISP can lay cabling and who they can sell cable or internet to. There is no competition in that, there is very minimal overlap and the prices between ISP's are seldom much different. Secondly let's look at this from the perspective of Cable and Satelite. While many do still have them the number is decreasing as Streaming is becoming the default media consumption method. Dominating a dying market is the least of anyone's worries. Again this doesn't just benefit me but also not affect many others, In places where TWC was someones only option. Their only option becomes Comcast. There is zero change for them. In areas where multiple ISP's exist they can always go somewhere else and get AT&T or Verizon or many many others. You are looking at this like I'm noly talking about my town and my experience but this is how it works in a lot of places for a lot of things and not just ISP's.

"yeah we'll roll out fiber"

*rolls out fiber to all customers, but limits speed to 20 mbit for $150/month.*

-_-

We had an AT&T sales person come to the door to get us to switch providers. They told me "This package has 18mbps down over fiber." I asked them out right, why is it only 18mbps when fiber is capable of so much more. And, of course, they gave a round about answer that didn't at all answer the question.

ISP's here in the US are so out of control. FCC need to do it's god damned job. They are showing us how stupid they are by falling for the "oh, we (Comcast/TWC) don't compete so it isn't a problem" shit they're pulling. The FCC was created to stop this from happening. Fucking government.

Again you aren't really looking at the big picture at all, what do you define as a "small place" anyway? I'd say it's under 10,000 as the population. Regardless, towns will meet and decide dividing lines for ISP's. These are "zones" that are defined where each ISP can lay cabling and who they can sell cable or internet to. There is no competition in that, there is very minimal overlap and the prices between ISP's are seldom much different. Secondly let's look at this from the perspective of Cable and Satelite. While many do still have them the number is decreasing as Streaming is becoming the default media consumption method. Dominating a dying market is the least of anyone's worries. Again this doesn't just benefit me but also not affect many others, In places where TWC was someones only option. Their only option becomes Comcast. There is zero change for them.

I live in a rural area and there are many providers here; Dish, DirecTV, Windstream, Time Warner Cable and a few others. But let's get to the point; so what if these "small places" (that you refereed to) have no other competition other than TWC or AT&T? You say I'm not looking at the big picture but you are the one ignoring it. What about all those "zones" that have more than one competitor? For example, where I live. 

And what kind of ISPs will exist once Comcast dominates the business? If they are allowed to gain more ground they drive out other ISPs, therefore those "zones" will only have very few options to pick from. Won't they?

And by the way, this is a very negative action even for those areas that only have one or two options to pick from (one of which being TWC). I suggest you read up on the "why".

In areas where multiple ISP's exist they can always go somewhere else and get AT&T or Verizon or many many others. You are looking at this like I'm noly talking about my town and my experience but this is how it works in a lot of places for a lot of things and not just ISP's.

Wait...what? Could you clarify what you mean here please?

And no, I'm taking your posts as someone who doesn't quite understand the impact this merger will have.