Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Intel Pulls Adverts From Gamasutra

Posted · Original PosterOP

Intel, a company known for their high quality processors. Gamasutra, a website known for writing about gamers being dead. How are these two entities linked? By adverts. What just happened? Intel just pulled their adverts from Gamasutra.

This was confirmed in an email from some random person on the internet being sent to Intel. We have an response to this email, from Intel of course, stating that the adverts have been pulled from Gamasutra. There are two emails that prove this.

UPDATES

If you would like to do some further reading (and laughing), you can check out this article from The Verge which makes a rather one-sided and uninformed discussion about why this has happened.

h5WqpM1.png

3zLeH0a.png

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

Now they are hurting. Because we all know they don't give a shit about their audience but they do care about money.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

what did gam... do?

Probably has something to do with the whole Anita Sarkeesian fiasco.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

what did gam... do?

Haven't followed the whole Gamer Gate thing to closely but it boils down to a circle of journalists that write for sites like Gamasutra, Polygon, Kotaku, ect. believing that most gamers are misogynistic and racist assholes. Whether or not that's true depends on what you're opinion.

Haven't followed the whole Gamer Gate thing to closely but it boils down to a circle of journalists that write for sites like Gamasutra, Polygon, Kotaku, ect. believing that most gamers are misogynistic and racist assholes. Whether or not that's true depends on what you're opinion.

oh, that's so silly, white male people[aka "game journalists"] are so silly... ;)

what did gam... do?

Probably has something to do with the whole Anita Sarkeesian fiasco.

http://pastebin.com/wWNkNdSw

This is a wealth of information that should explain the Gamasutra thing as to why there was such a huge backlash.

Also, this type of posting is ridiculously common with the lead of Gamasutra. And you wonder why many angry people contacted Intel to pull out of that site.

b00a15554f34ae1a2873a90a031c0d8a.png

I don't care for Obama at all, but implying everyone with a differing opinion is some far right leaning woman hating white guy overrides that. Screw her and Gamasutra.

af5a573dd27409b00130a2bbe6a9745c.png

This should really be in the non techies thread.

Edited by Mooshi

SNOWHEART - laptop

Model: TRACER III 17R XTREME VR 800 || CPU: Intel i7-8750H  || RAM: HyperX Impact 16GB || GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 || Storage: Intel 660P 512GB +  AData SX8200 1TB + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB || Display: 1920x1080p 144hz

PRISIMHEART 2.0 - desktop

Case: FD Meshify C Mini || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Scythe Choten TUF edition || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Elite || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Steelseries RIval 650 || Monitor: HP Omen 32

I love that people are getting companies to pull advertising funds from GamerGate inducing websites. These are the "gaming" sites, that in a coordinated effort, all posted similar stories about gamers, being misogynistic assholes, computer games being misogynistic and hateful, causing hateful behaviour towards women irl, and that gamers as a moniker is dead.

These sites (like gamasutra and kotaku) have employed feminist extremists (swj's) to write these insane articles, based on Anita Sarkeesians unscientifical, undocumented propaganda. So many good videos on youtube, ripping all her "arguments" to shreds. It's sad, and these sites then decided to wage war against their own readers and market (seriously?). They underestimated the intelligence and competence of the gaming community, that has exposed the unethical and biased behaviour of these "journalists", and the arguments used from them, being ripped to shreds. And now they don't understand why their readers are fleeing like rats from a sinking ship, and calling advertisers, warning them about all of this.

Good on you Intel!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Can somebody explain why Gamasutra is so bad? I don't know the site but i just visited and I really don't see why its so bad?

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Getting nerds to care about social issues is like getting industrial cows to care about getting slaughtered.

Once again a disgusting show of sexism and insensitivity from the LTT forums straight to you! The fact that you people are reinforcing their statements about gamers is hilarious...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Can somebody explain why Gamasutra is so bad? I don't know the site but i just visited and I really don't see why its so bad?

Read this: 

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/gamergate

You can make due with the intro part and the anti gamer backlash section (about gamasutra et al).

Getting nerds to care about social issues is like getting industrial cows to care about getting slaughtered.

Once again a disgusting show of sexism and insensitivity from the LTT forums straight to you! The fact that you people are reinforcing their statements about gamers is hilarious...

The fact that you claim any of this, has anything to do with sexism and insensitivity, proves that you drank their propagandistic cool aid, and have no clue what the real issue at hand is. Read the link I posted and educate yourself, instead of riding the derogative hatetrain against gamers.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Really?

An entire pastebin with links showcasing someone being vile towards the very audience that is allowing them to have a paycheck, even if they get by with writing click bait for a biased gaming site. Many WOMEN and self proclaimed FEMINIST are also onboard with #GamerGate and you base them all as sexist gaming nerds.

Wow.

I don't even. Just wow.

@Builder I JUST had a mutual talk with you in a  previous thread and this. Come on, man. Did you even research into /why/ this is going down before broad brushing every supporter of intel pulling out as a 'gaming nerd'? May as well call every gamer on this forum a virgin neckbeard on top of that.

SNOWHEART - laptop

Model: TRACER III 17R XTREME VR 800 || CPU: Intel i7-8750H  || RAM: HyperX Impact 16GB || GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 || Storage: Intel 660P 512GB +  AData SX8200 1TB + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB || Display: 1920x1080p 144hz

Case: FD Meshify C Mini || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Scythe Choten TUF edition || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Elite || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Steelseries RIval 650 || Monitor: HP Omen 32

https://archive.today/l1kTW

If you are a Gamer, Gamasutra doesn't care about you and thinks you are a sexist woman hater and a bunch of other baseless drivel.

SNOWHEART - laptop

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Read this: 

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/gamergate

You can make due with the intro part and the anti gamer backlash section (about gamasutra et al).

Thank you.

I think its fair to say that this is stupid at this point. By all fucking sides.

https://archive.today/l1kTW

If you are a Gamer, Gamasutra doesn't care about you and thinks you are a sexist woman hater and a bunch of other baseless drivel.

I'll survive. Sure that everybody at Gamasutra thinks like this?

I still think this entire Zoe Quinn thing has been taken massively overboard. we complain that we don't want to be treated like we are a single entity that all behaves the same, and I don't think we should do the same with gaming journalists.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I don't agree with Gamasutra in making sweeping generalizations but you people aren't exactly helping the situation by acting like this. I'm not even going to call you right wing either. This issue obviously has people from all sides confused. I would be saying a lot more here too but I'm not going to because I don't wish to get flamed.

I really don't give a shit about the whole "gamer" identity thing though. It's just a fucking word. It should be used how people see fit to use it.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Thank you.

I think its fair to say that this is stupid at this point. By all fucking sides.

I'll survive. Sure that everybody at Gamasutra thinks like this?

I still think this entire Zoe Quinn thing has been taken massively overboard. we complain that we don't want to be treated like we are a single entity that all behaves the same, and I don't think we should do the same with gaming journalists.

One side wants journalistic integrity, devs be left alone to created their vision without pressure, donated to suicide prevent charities, helped fund to help female devs get into the business, the other side whines all over social media, makes complete asses of themselves, gets pity Patreon cash and shouts "misogyny" if you dare think differently than they do. 

No one even gives a shit about Zoe Quinn besides Zoe Quinn at this stage. Been following this long enough. Everytime the focus is on something else, she self inserts into the fray for attention. Hell, at one point, people were misusing the #GamerGate hashtag because they were told to tweet "I <3 rape #GamerGate" and other bullshit in exchange of getting SSB4 codes. I am not even kidding. Their side is completely and utterly disgusting. 

What it all comes down to is this. Gamers like games. Majority of gamers don't care what's between your legs, but if you can cover them in a team game. What we're dealing with is revolt with vile individuals who do not respect their audience. It would be on par with Linus suddenly telling us we're fedora wearing virgin shitlords. Imagine the amount of LTT members that would be upset with that and leave, harbor ill will. This is exactly what is going on. When you piss on the people who are affording you a paycheck, you deserve a backlash. Intel did the right thing here with not wanting to be associated with that drama. NEVER throw your own personal beliefs into anything if you're being paid to represent a company. it reflects poorly on them for running your mouth.

Edited by Mooshi

SNOWHEART - laptop

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

One side wants journalistic integrity, devs be left alone to created their vision without pressure, donated to suicide prevent charities, helped fun to help female devs get into the business, the other side whines all over social media, makes complete asses of themselves, gets pity Patreon cash and shouts "misgony" if you dare think differently than they do. 

No one even gives a shit about Zoe Quinn besides Zoe Quinn at this stage. Been following this long enough. Everytime the focus is on something else, she self inserts into the fray for attention. Hell, at one point, people were misusing the #GamerGate hashtag because they were told to tweet "I <3 rape #GamerGate" and other bullshit in exchange of getting SSB4 codes. I am not even kidding. Their side is completely and utterly disgusting. 

Yeah, im pretty sure there are a lot more than two sides here. A few idiots on social media doesn't make an attack. The gaming industry aren't under attack...seriously.

Do you seriously think that feminists will have any influence on gaming? Never gonna happen. The gaming industry makes faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too much money to be influenced by a few panties in a bunch. This seriously sounds like a we have some bad apples among the gaming reporters(Which is shocking to NO ONE!.....Hi IGN. How are you doing? Still corrupt?`Great) and some trolls on social media who has gotten the entire gaming community to freak the fuck out.

Yeah, im pretty sure there are a lot more than two sides here. A few idiots on social media doesn't make an attack. The gaming industry aren't under attack...seriously.

Do you seriously think that feminists will have any influence on gaming? Never gonna happen. The gaming industry makes faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too much money to be influenced by a few panties in a bunch. This seriously sounds like a we have some bad apples among the gaming reporters(Which is shocking to NO ONE!.....Hi IGN. How are you doing? Still corrupt?`Great) and some trolls on social media who has gotten the entire gaming community to freak the fuck out.

Perhaps you should see this. http://imgur.com/a/qt6Es

Forgive me if I seem a tad "excited" about this subject. I'm still a bit pissed from earlier where a trans game dev committed suicide and the anti #GamerGate crowd were taking that death and twisting it to suit an agenda. At that moment, they were no better than the Westboro Baptist Church with their "god hates fags" signs to picket funerals. They sunk that low. This isn't about someone sleeping around, this isn't about hashtag wars. This is exposing toxic people. Someone died and they are using them for agenda fodder instead of respecting the dead. I'm filled with disgust.

SNOWHEART - laptop

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Can we move on from this please?

Some Video Game journalism sites are a complete joke, and it's been that way for years:

Hi IGN. How are you doing? Still corrupt? Great

Perfect example. If those particular sites are going to allow writers to shit all over their audiences, you know how to fix the problem. Ignore them, them, the article, the site. You link them, someone clicks it, they have ads, they make money. It's that simple

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Perhaps you should see this. http://imgur.com/a/qt6Es

Forgive me if I seem a tad "excited" about this subject. I'm still a bit pissed from earlier where a trans game dev committed suicide and the anti #GamerGate crowd were taking that death and twisting it to suit an agenda. At that moment, they were no better than the Westboro Baptist Church with their "god hates fags" signs to picket funerals. They sunk that low. This isn't about someone sleeping around, this isn't about hashtag wars. This is exposing toxic people. Someone died and they are using them for agenda fodder instead of respecting the dead. I'm filled with disgust.

Fine, they use terrible tactics. Welcome to socialmedia. This happens ALL THE TIME WITH EVERYTHING. My point is that treating this like som massive assault on gaming devs is BS! Devs have the right to stand up for what they believe in. If they are pussies, then they don't deserve us as customers anyway.

Some Video Game journalism sites are a complete joke, and it's been that way for years:

Perfect example. If those particular sites are going to allow writers to shit all over their audiences, you know how to fix the problem. Ignore them, them, the article, the site. You link them, someone clicks it, they have ads, they make money. It's that simple

EXACTLY! My biggest objections to this controversy is that we have somehow deluded us self into believing that this was created by feminists....LOOOOOOOOL Gaming Journalism has always been sick. IGN and Gamespot are so much in the pocket of big gaming, and there has been so many cases of obvious corruption. But when feminists provide some pressure, then suddenly we care and scream about integrity.

I'll leave this thread with this.

2f1f4f732fe0152e620de28dd26fc51a.png

Actual status: https://www.facebook.com/kvonroeder/posts/656485347806155

f08ee55707f068a301c4c679a86f0a7c.png

Anti #GamerGate people shamelessly blamed #GamerGate supporters for this suicide and that's sick.

Fine, they use terrible tactics. Welcome to socialmedia. This happens ALL THE TIME WITH EVERYTHING. My point is that treating this like som massive assault on gaming devs is BS! Devs have the right to stand up for what they believe in. If they are pussies, then they don't deserve us as customers anyway.

Those who do stand up get dumped on by those who are supposed to be their peers. There is A LOT of corruption behind the scenes. It's well known gaming corruption has been a thing, but lately their end wants to turn it into an all out "culture war".

Ignoring a problem never makes it go away, it only festers. Those who share info use archive sites so the actual links don't get clicked and to ensure if original articles are deleted, an archive will live on. They aren't making anything from ads when direct links are being avoided. Whenever someone posts a direct link to a site like Kotaku, I avoid it. Information is vital, those who don't bother to research repeat the same drivel of "women hating white cis male misogynists" The public deserves to know information so they can fight back with their wallet.

SNOWHEART - laptop

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

looks like another company wants to keep on digging a deeper hole, at this rate they might close the distance between unisoft

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The need to be wary of grouping everybody into one of two camps is a fair point, at least as far as these 'Twitter wars' are concerned. I think everybody already knows that there are idiots on both sides in social media. But what is being perceived as an 'attack' is having 7-8 prominent websites publishing articles on the 'death of gamers' simultaneously, Ben Kuchera in a private mailing list discouraging other websites from allowing discussion on GamerGate, and sites like Reddit capriciously shadowbanning users for even slight mentions of the movement. And as far as Gamasutra is concerned, sure, Leigh Alexander wrote a few narrow-minded pieces. But what really stands out to me is when Ben Quintero writes a piece questioning the wisdom of this ‘gamers are dead’ attitude, and shortly afterward gets downgraded on Gamasutra. 

Is it actually some kind of coordinated attack? No, probably not. But I think it’s an attitude, where it’s been made clear that several prominent figures in the industry don’t want further discussion, and that people who disagree with their views are labelled as some kind of misogynist, racist – or as David Faraci and TheEscapist’s MovieBob seem to believe – “worse than ISIS”. Hell, here it only took half a dozen posts until somebody came along and declared that this thread was an example of racism and misogyny in the LTT community (even though we’ve had nothing of the sort in this thread). I certainly don’t believe there are explicit ‘orders’ being delivered to gaming journalists or anything, but when the biggest names in your field make it very clear how they feel about social issues, it’s bound to be influential. After all, in an industry where there probably aren't many well-paying websites to offer employment, one needs to be very careful.

As for media having no influence on gaming? I probably haven’t played enough recent games to be aware of many examples, and you may very well be right that there aren’t a whole lot. Still, at least one notable example that comes to mind for me is Bioshock Infinite’s Burial at Sea.
Ken Levine faced some criticism for the Vox Populi, especially how an African American woman like Daisy Fitzroy turned out to be a villain, rather than have her be a positive figure. The end-of-year Polygon podcast went so far as to say that by designing the Vox Populi as villains, it was comparable to taking American slavery, and then declaring that African slaves were evil as well. (In my mind, the situation in Columbia was much more comparable to the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror, and that by having both sides be bad, it served as an impetus for Booker/Elizabeth to undo Columbia and “smother [Comstock] in his crib”) When Burial at Sea: Episode 2 was released, it was revealed that right before her death, Daisy Fitzroy was never actually going to murder a child, because she purposefully let herself get killed by Elizabeth at the suggestion of the Lutece twins. The only reason she was given is that it would usher Elizabeth into maturity and somehow end up in Comstock's downfall, with no specifics, and no real reason to trust/believe the Lutece twins. The audio recordings of Daisy that you pick up through out that level involve her waxing poetic about violence and being victimized, demonstrating a completely alien personality to what was seen in the base game. It’s a clumsy, ham-fisted retcon, and one probably done to address criticism from sites like Polygon. Of course, that’s just speculation on my part.