Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr
Just now, GoodBytes said:

If you are on a laptop, you could have tried to adjust the screen brightness slider in Windows (under the Action Center bar).

On a desktop, but I might try again. Thanks for a suggestion though.

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

On a desktop, but I might try again. Thanks for a suggestion though.

Hmm strange. The only way that can happen, is that a software executed a DDCI/CI call the monitor, which can be fixed by manually adjusting the screen brightness.

Or the AMD driver has a bug and its color correction option goy enabled, and dimmed the screen. Going in the AMD graphics control panel and playing with the toggle on/off should fix this problem

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Hmm strange. The only way that can happen, is that a software executed a DDCI/CI call the monitor, which can be fixed by manually adjusting the screen brightness.

Or the AMD driver has a bug and its color correction option goy enabled, and dimmed the screen. Going in the AMD graphics control panel and playing with the toggle on/off should fix this problem

What, where?

Strange thing is, that the mouse cursor is on normal contrast.

Edit: ok, after trying to set color depth in AMD control panel to 10-bit the brightness is back to normal.

Back to dim after restart and again to normal when changing color depth.

DDU seemed to help. All OK now.

• 2 weeks later...

New Build! Dec Channel - Build: 20161

What's New?

dabfa329dfacdc1a2669002649ed75d6.gif

(EDIT: oh? Look like gifs aren't loading... strange... I'll look into it. Click on it and you will see it. Sorry about this!)

Do I need to say more? :D

Yes?

Ok:

548918584c74d4ce52ebf0930811cf17.png

Also, notice also some additional new Fluent Design icons!

After ALL these years! FINALLY! Microsoft is dropping those stupid colored squares!

Want More?

Alt+Tab Edge Tabs

If you have Edge Dev or Canary release, you can now enjoy seeing each tab of your web browser under Alt+Tab.

634dd641ac5d268c671631222138c910.gif

(Another gif, sorry, not loading... click on it to view)

More?

Cheese you are asking a lot! Ok!

Default layout Taskbar pined account based on your settings (Experimental)

This one, Microsoft is saying it is experimental, and seeking feedback, but when you create a new account (or when you re-install Windows), Microsoft wants to setup the default taskbar pinned icon based on what is setup with your account already.

So here, Microsoft is providing an example of what to expect:

2a484fd68334970e192f8a1138aedc73.jpg

More?! MOAWWWRE?!

Wow, demanding customer, Microsoft has...

Notification pop-up improvements 

Notifications will show the application name, And now changes the left arrow with the Close/Dismiss button, to save you a step in acknowledging a notification.

5db65c59e8b5b819bd9203996bf7b8c3.png

In addition, when Focus Assist kicks-in, it will no longer notify you about it (which, in my opinion was stupid. It is like if you have a silent alarm system, and when you press the button and it goes "📢📢THIS IS SILENT ALARM SYSTEM!!!!! IT HAS BEEN ENGAGED!!!! 📢📢"... kinda breaks its purpose. So good to see!)

Other improvements 

• Calculator Graph mode is going out of Preview state, and will be distributed to all, publicly, soon.
  • Setting > System, will now get you to the About tab first, and you now have a "Copy" button to copy the system specs.
  • For 2-in-1's tablet mode will no longer asks you which mode you want. You just configure this in Settings panel, and you are done. it will do the switch automatically.

What's fixed

• We fixed an issue resulting in Insiders experiencing bug checks when connecting and interacting with an Xbox controller.
  • We’ve fixed an issue causing some games and applications to crash at launch or fail to install.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge not navigating to websites when WDAG was enabled on the last 2 flights.
  • We fixed an issue which was increasing log off time in recent builds.
  • We fixed an issue with the Chinese Pinyin IME where after setting your preferred IME toolbar orientation, you may not be able to change it again after rebooting your PC.
  • We fixed an issue causing Reset this PC to always show the error “There was a problem resetting this PC” when launched from Settings in the last few builds.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in some Bluetooth devices no longer showing their battery level in Settings in the last few builds.
  • We fixed an issue where Settings would crash if you went to Settings > Privacy > Microphone while a win32 app was recording audio.
  • We fixed an issue where if Sound Settings showed “no input devices found” in the input dropdown and you clicked it, then Settings would crash.
  • We fixed an issue where when adding a printer, the dialog might crash if you navigated through to the “Add a printer driver” dialog in recent builds.
  • We fixed a graphics related issue resulting in some users experiencing bug checks.

Known issues

• We’re working on a fix for an issue causing some systems to crash with a HYPERVISOR_ERROR bugcheck.
  • We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
  • We’re aware of an issue where Notepad might fail to reopen files which were automatically saved during a PC restart (if that option is enabled in Settings). Documents can be recovered from %localappdata%\Notepad.We’re investigating reports of the screen becoming dimmer after upgrading to the previous build.
  • We’re aware of an issue where Task Manager reports 0.00 GHz CPU usage in the Performance tab.
  • We’re investigating reports that when you press space while using the Korean IME in certain apps, the last character is deleted.
  • We’re working to fine tune the tile animations in Start to avoid flashes of color.
  • For Insiders with the new Alt+Tab experience mentioned above, please note that the setting under Settings > System > Multitasking to set Alt+Tab to “Open windows only” currently doesn’t work.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/07/01/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20161/

Oh I missed that part:

Introducing some cool new features in today’s build, however many of these features are rolling out to a subset of Insiders in the Dev Channel at first, to help us quickly identify issues that may impact performance and reliability. This means Insiders may not see some of these features right away, but rest assured they will be gradually rolled out to everyone in the Dev Channel. Check out what the team has been working on!

And I don't have any of the new features :/

Oh my Surface Pro 3 has it! Yay!

Looks real nice!

Windows Central has a video showing what's new:

• 2 weeks later...

New update is released:

Build 20170

Warning: If you have an AMD based system, you will not get the update due to a known issue which Microsoft is working on.

What's new

• Settings > System > Sound > Manage sound devices to now let you know which device is default, and able to change it. This includes communication device default audio.
  • New Settings Icon
    48b8ca797ac8591eb4e6f8532915f91e.png

• Search panel now has 2 column layout giving quick access to recent files and search item:
    915db5d2a3a79763f6f7e6be268aeddb.png

Fixes:

We fixed an issue resulting in flickering when resizing certain apps when snapped side by side in tablet mode.
We fixed an issue when using an IME where holding down the mouse left click key would eventually lead to input hanging.
We fixed an issue resulting in the master volume slider in Sound Settings not working after removing and re-pairing certain Bluetooth devices.
We fixed a race condition that could result in update notifications not appearing or appearing multiple times in quick succession.
We fixed an issue resulting in typing not working on certain keyboards in the previous flight – appreciate your patience while we investigated.
We fixed an issue that could result in modifier keys like Shift and CTRL sometimes being dropped over a remote desktop connection.
We fixed an issue resulting in a small number of Insiders experiencing an issue where Start wouldn’t launch in the previous build.
We fixed an issue that was increasing the amount of time it took for logoff to happen for some Insiders in the last few builds.
We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders finding that their screens became dimmer after upgrading to the last few builds.

Known issues

We’re working on a fix for an issue where some Microsoft Store games protected with Easy Anti-Cheat may fail to launch.
We’re working on a fix for an issue causing some systems to crash with a HYPERVISOR_ERROR bugcheck.
We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
We’re aware of an issue where Task Manager reports 0.00 GHz CPU usage in the Performance tab.
We’re working to fine tune the tile animations in Start to avoid flashes of color.
We’re investigating reports that sleep is not working for some Insiders.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/07/15/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20170/

16 minutes ago, Escanor said:

When i installed wsl2 on windows 2004 build it would lower my cinebench score quite a lot is this also issue in insiders ?

Hmm.. let me test this. I still sport my Core i7 930 non-OC, so it will be the perfect candidate. The cheapest/slowest Ryzen 3000 CPU is about the same performance of my CPU (actually the Ryzen chip is a bit faster)

3 hours ago, Escanor said:

When i installed wsl2 bassicly i noticed i got like 200 to 300 less score on cinebench eventually tracked it down to wsl2 could not figure out how to remove it so i just restored a clone without it installed found out, wsl in my case is very usefull cos i can compile ipxe then for network boot rather then having to run virtual machine

So interesting results (Cinebench R20 multi-core):

• No WSL - 981pt
  • WSL1 installed/enabled - 977pt
  • WSL1 + Ubuntu-20.04 running: 980pt

The above shows no performance difference. Keep in mind that I did only 1 run for each, and my system is 11 years old. Prob needs new thermal paste as well. Score fluctuating is normal. The above should be considered as no impact within margin of error. Keep in mind that the OS is mostly default configured.

• WSL2 installed + Ubuntu-20.04 upgraded and running: 926pt
  • WSL2 installed + Ubuntu-20.04 shutdown (via: wsl --shutdown command): 940pt

So it looks like the performance impact is small. I mean, it is there... but it is also a really old CPU. While I can't play modern games, it is hard to see a day to day performance difference outside of this. I never noticed that when I compile something, things took more time. All I see is how much better it is over running a VM or full Hyper-V (which gets me better performance compared to your typical VM) + a full on Linux distro OS.

So a Ryzen 3 3100 is better than mine! 🤣

Update: Just for fun, I ran the single core test, without WSL: 182pt. Ouch. The Ryzen 3 3100 from what I see online got 437pt !

15 minutes ago, Escanor said:

Have you tryit with cinebench priority set to realtime ? it looks like PC freeze but it only freeze for the duration of the test.

Nope, and doesn't have any meaning in reality. You want real world results for this kind of test.  Unless you plan to run everything in realtime, but then that defeats the purpose. I don't care about getting every drop of performance to gain the highest benchmark score possible. What we want is the reality. I am not doing a competition, nor benchmarking my CPU for review. I want to know what impact WSL1 and WSL2 with all the stuff from the OS running and doing things. Beside it won't be hundreds of point difference.

That said, all programs (beside benchmark and WSL when in used) were closed, services are default config, OS is mostly default, no background process beside Windows Defender running. I hate startup software in any case. Normally I have Windows Defender, OneDrive (as I use it), Logitech Options for mouse/keyb, and my event based program which takes my Spotlight image and makes it my main desktop wallpaper.

2 hours ago, Escanor said:

Have you tryit with cinebench priority set to realtime ? it looks like PC freeze but it only freeze for the duration of the test.

So just to proof a point, I have ran the benchmark as followed:

No WSL2 installed - Running Realtime: 989pt.

With WSL2 running (Ubuntu-20.04) - Running on High - 931pt.

I could not run Cinebench R20 under Realtime with WSL2. When I did, my CPU freezes. I tried 3 times. It freezes and a disk repair occurs on the next startup. This might be a bug in this latest release of Windows 10 with my aged old system specs. So I picked High instead. 

As we can see, there is no performance increase. It is margin of error.

And if you wonder, just as a bonus. I tried Windows power setting: Balance and High Performance, and I actually got the same performance. 

New Build: 20175

What's new:

You can now view each individual tabs of the new Edge web browser in the thumbnail preview in the task bar.
f50733d9580bd7b17dd3b245952a8634.gif

Microsoft notes:

NOTE: Since this is an early preview, existing sites on your Taskbar will not experience this new behavior until you remove and re-pin them.

You can now reset apps via PowerShell, with the command:

Get-AppxPackage *calculator* | Reset-AppxPackage

Surface Pro X exclusive:

Using the SQ1 chips AI part of the chip, it will now correct your eyes when doing video conferences (can be disabled) to make it look like you are looking at the camera/person. You can find the option under the Surface app under a Surface Pro X.

7395420e4c7efa64b0fbff4552d9a54b.png

Lastly, new icons!

Notes is getting its icon updated. It will look like the one on the left if you have Light Theme, and right if you have Dark Theme

6c9d97822865c854f600bbf64b3e322e.png

And a new Snip & Sketch icon which has a style that merges the original Snip & Sketch icon and the old Sniping Tool icon.

8809db7753120122b418d2ada715a568.png

What's fixed:

• We fixed an issue causing some systems to crash with a HYPERVISOR_ERROR bugcheck.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in tiles sometimes flashing unexpectedly in the Start menu when animating
  • We fixed an issue where the option the set Alt + Tab to “Windows Only” wasn’t working.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in apps unexpectedly appearing black when viewed under Magnifier with a large magnification.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in some stutter when gaming.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Narrator not working with touch when touching a XAML item.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Search not closing after selecting certain items in the search results.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in flickers when logging in.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in fonts not displaying correctly in some apps in the last two flights.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in Settings crashing if it’d been opened but minimized to the Windows Update page, and then you navigated to another settings page by clicking a URI.
  • We fixed an issue where clicking a link to System would result in an empty and unclosable Control Panel instance.

Known issues:

• We’re working on a fix for an issue where some Microsoft Store games protected with Easy Anti-Cheat may fail to launch.
  • We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
  • If you are impacted by an issue where when pressing space while using the Korean IME in Edge and Chrome the last character was deleted, this has been fixed in Chromium as part of Bug 1099125. We’ll be removing this from the known issues with the next flight.
  • We’re working on a fix for an issue where the min/max/close buttons are stuck in their original positions after resizing a UWP app. If you move the app window the position should update.
  • We’re investigating reports that the new taskbar experience described above isn’t working for some pinned sites.
  • We’re working on a fix for an issue where sometimes the “close all windows” action in the taskbar doesn’t close not all of the open tabs
  • We’re working on a fix to enable live preview for pinned site tabs.
  • We’re working on enabling the new taskbar experience for existing pinned sites. In the meantime, you can unpin the site from the taskbar, remove it from the edge://apps page, and then re-pin the site.
  • We’re working on a fix for an issue where pinned sites don’t show all open tabs for a domain. In the meantime, you can fix this by pinning the site’s homepage rather than a specific page (e.g. pin microsoft.com rather than microsoft.com/windows).
  • We’re working on a fix for an issue where Alt + Tabbing to a browser tab sometimes moves the previously active browser tab to the front of the Alt + Tab list as well.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/07/22/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20175/

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Escanor said:

When do we get improved explorer with tabs and option to resume basic tasks even if you rebooted ?

No info for tabs.

Resuming of programs after reboot is there (assuming not disabled in Settings), and is up to programs to support it. Office suitbis an example of applications that supports it.

There is a new build. Nothing much beside wide availability of of new feature no A/B testing as before (They said they won't do that.. but oh well), Edge tab preview when you roll over a tab in Edge.

4 hours ago, Escanor said:

No like resuming explorer tasks like copy'ng files

I do not recall this feature

• 2 months later...

New build! Build 20226

Windows 10 now provides to user S.M.A.R.T information from system drives, including support for NVMe SSD's

If Windows detects issues with a drive, it will show a notification:

DriveHealthToast.png

And under: Settings > System > Storage > Manage disks and volumes > Properties

It will display the estimated lifespan of the drive, including drive temperature:

DriveHealth-Cropped.png

Attempting to recover data after drive failure is both frustrating and expensive. This feature is designed to detect hardware abnormalities for NVMe SSDs and notify users with enough time to act. It is strongly recommended that users immediately back up their data after receiving a notification.

Image of toast notification sent to users when NVMe SSD abnormalities are detected.

Clicking on the notification or navigating to the drive properties page in Storage Settings (Settings -> System -> Storage -> Manage disks and volumes -> Properties) will provide additional details.

Your Phone, now allows you to manage and better support multiple devices.

The Your Phone team is excited to rollout a new user experience for managing your linked devices with the app.  We are happy to announce with this new settings page, you can now link a new device, remove an old device, and switch between active devices all easily within the app. We’ve also made visual improvements to displaying your device list.  Now each device is identifiable on its own device card with your personally sync’d wallpaper.

Samsung-Comp-scaled.jpg

Changed and Improvements

We’re starting to roll out a change that will turn off theme syncing. As part of that, you will no longer see “Theme” as an option in Sync your settings, and changes made to your background will not sync across device. If you have been using theme synchronization, when setting up a new PC or account there will be a one-time download of the last saved synchronized desktop background to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WallpaperBackup if you need to access it.
Thanks for your patience – after making some reliability improvements, we’re re-enabling the ability for Notepad windows to persist update and restarts (if “Restart apps” is enabled in Sign-in Settings).

When you have a PWA installed from Microsoft Edge, Task Manager will now correctly display it under Applications instead of Background Processes in the Processes tab, and will show the app icon associated with the PWA.

We’re updating File Explorer so that if you right-click on a zipped OneDrive file that was set to online-only, you’ll now see an Extract All option, same as if the file was available locally on the PC.

We’re updating the new DNS options in Settings to make a static DNS entry required when entering a static IP, and to make gateway not a required field.
We’re updating the N’Ko keyboard layout so that pressing Shift + 6 will now insert ߾ (U+07FE ) and pressing Shift + 7 will now insert ߿ (U+07FF).

Fixes:

We’ve resolved an issue resulting in Settings crashing for some Insiders when opening Manage Disks and Volumes.
We fixed an issue affecting Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 distros where users can receive the error: “The remote procedure call failed” on startup. See this GitHub issue for more details.
We fixed an issue where activating Speech Recognition under Ease of Access in Settings was unexpectedly requiring admin permissions.
We fixed an issue where after turning off “Drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop”, and opening Task View, the drop shadows would unexpectedly reappear.
We fixed an issue where pressing F7 in the File Explorer search box would bring up a dialog asking to enable caret browsing.
We fixed an issue where Focus Assist was considering Screensaver to be a full screen app and suppressing notifications when it was running.
We fixed an issue impacting explorer.exe reliability for some Insiders in the last few flights.
We fixed an issue where some of the apps in the Windows Accessories folder in Start’s all apps list would unexpectedly display the name Windows Accessories when pinned to the Start menu in recent builds.
We fixed an issue impacting taskbar performance and reliability on 2-in-1 convertible devices.
We fixed a few issues impacting Action Center reliability.
We fixed a couple of issues impacting Settings reliability.
We fixed an issue where the Settings icon was unexpectedly small when pinned to the Start menu and using the small tile size.
We fixed an issue in Touchpad Settings where the header for the Taps section was unexpectedly missing in the last few flights.
We fixed an issue with Meet Now resulting in the flyout crashing if you pressed the Esc key while it was open.
We fixed an issue that if Meet Now was opened before opening a jumplist from the taskbar, then ShellExperienceHost would crash.
We’ve made some fixes to improve accessibility of the Meet Now flyout, including updating the tab order, marking the image so it’s not read out by Narrator, adjusting the contrast of the buttons, making the arrow keys navigate between the buttons, and fixing an issue where focus wasn’t returning to the previous location in the taskbar after pressing the Esc key.
We fixed an issue from the last few flights resulting in some apps failing to install, citing a lack of internet connectivity, when IPV6 was enabled.
We fixed an issue with the new DNS options in Network Settings where switching back from a custom DNS to automatic would result in a loss of connectivity.
We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to insert the full-width question mark when typing with the Pinyin IME in recent builds.
We fixed an issue that could result in the Japanese IME crashing on initialization.
We fixed two issues with the Bopomofo IME impacting Shift and Ctrl key usage in apps when the IME was active.
We fixed an issue with the Turkish one-handed touch keyboard layout, where it was missing keys for ü and ö.
We fixed an issue when using the Japanese touch keyboard layout that could result in the spacebar UI appearing stuck in a pressed state.

Know issues:

We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
We’re working on a fix to enable live preview for pinned site tabs.
We’re working on enabling the new taskbar experience for existing pinned sites. In the meantime, you can unpin the site from the taskbar, remove it from the edge://apps page, and then re-pin the site.
We’re working on a fix for an issue where some Office applications crashing or missing after updating to a new build.
We’re working on a fix for an issue causing some devices experiencing a KMODE_EXCEPTION bugcheck when using certain virtualization technologies.
We’re working on a fix where some devices are experiencing a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bugcheck.
We’re investigating a bug where the vEthernet adapter in Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 distros becomes disconnected after a period of use. For full details please follow this GitHub thread.
We’re working on a fix for an issue where after taking this build some users receive a Compatibility Assistant notification that “Microsoft Office is no longer available”. Despite the notification, Office should still be there and working fine.

Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20226 | Windows Insider Blog

Hidden new feature:

XBox Bar (WIn+G), now has a new widget called "Resources".

It is a simple Task Manager that you can see and interact with while you game. You can kill apps too.

729266332_Screenshot2020-10-01234055.png.e0edf764662878d50c506476e0388ff0.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Microsoft released a few days ago (sorry, was busy), an Insider build, with an optional update. If installed both, you get to enjoy some new GUI features, such as new animations that are in the works.

Video demo here:

In addition, Microsoft released today the first Fluent Design built-in apps: Alarms & Clock.

It features

• A cleaner look
  • Acrylic effect side bar (which remains transparent when the window is full screened)
  • Tab highlight blue bar ("blue" assuming Windows default accent color) animation. It doesn't just instant jump.
  • Rounded corner
  • And various new animations when you click on stuff.

Here are some pictures from Windows Latest:

Alarms.gif

Windows-Stopwatch.jpg

If you want it, assuming you are on the latest build, check out the Store for apps updates.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So finally, we are starting to see new features and improvements!

Microsoft has released Build 21337 to the Dev channel, and it has some interesting features:

• You can now reorder Virtual Desktops! In Task View (Win+Tab) screen, you can simply click and drag virtual desktop, changing their order.

• In addition, you can finally setup a unique background for each virtual desktop. If you are using your main PC for work and personal, this can be helpful separating both worlds. To change backgrounds on a virtual desktop, go under Task View, right-click on the virtual desktop and pick "Choose background", or right-click on the desktop and pick "Personalize". Note that you need to close the Settings panel after. If you don't and you go to the other virtual desktop and repeat the step to change its background, as the Setting panel is open in the other, it will you jump you pack to the other virtual desktop, and you'll change the background there instead of where you wanted.,
    vd-right-click.png

• Auto HDR. Microsoft is bringing Xbox auto HDR feature to the PC. Auto HDR uses a fancy algorithm to add HDR to games that doesn't natively support HDR. Microsoft says:

HDR is a video/imaging technique where the lights and darks in a digitally reproduced scene can be shown with more detail than before. In video games, the increased range of color and luminance of HDR enables a more immersive, realistic experience. You’ll be able to see the details of haunting movement in dark shadows rather than just black. The bright sun will be a more radiant, warm yellow rather than a flat saturated white, but unless the game is displaying on your monitor with that improved dynamic range, you won’t get the benefits of a more immersive experience even if you have an HDR capable monitor.

While some game studios develop for HDR gaming PCs by mastering their game natively for HDR, Auto HDR for PC will take DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 SDR-only games and intelligently expand the color/brightness range up to HDR. It’s a seamless platform feature that will give you an amazing new gaming experience that takes full advantage of your HDR monitor’s capabilities. The Auto in the title implies how easy it is for you to enable the feature; a simple settings toggle flip will let you turn the feature on and off.

To use this feature, you need to turn on "Use HDR" in the Settings panel (Settings > System > Display > Windows HD Color Settings (link)), then scroll down and you should have the option "Auto HDR". Turn it on. Please note that you need a HDR supported display.
    Read more here: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/auto-hdr-preview-for-pc-available-today/

• File Explorer Layout Update. Nothing major, but adjustment to the layout padding has been done, as well as Compact mode has been introduced to toggle the density layout of File Explorer. This option is under the View tab.

• Notepad has a new icon and is now in Store, and updated through there.
    NotepadLargeTile.scale-400.png

• As Windows Terminal reached version 1.0, it is now part of the inbox apps of Windows 10!

• Power Automate Desktop is now free, and now an inbox app of Windows 10!  Power Automate Desktop is a tool to setup action-based macros to web and desktop applications to allow to automate repetitive tasks. It also has Excel integration. The tool looks to be pretty powerful. Microsoft has a blog post introducing it:
    https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/automate-tasks-with-power-automate-desktop-for-windows-10-no-additional-cost/

• One feature I didn't mentioned in the past, is the new Weather & News widget on the task bar. Only available in select countries for now, and was under A/B testing as well (hence why I didn't cover it, besides, it was like the only features. so not worth the effort)
    News-and-interests-redesign.gif

You can now see the weather on the task bar (if your task bars gets filled up, it be more compact then what you see above). Now the above clip shows an improvement that they did before/after... but you get the idea. It opens the above panel when you click on it, and you can see more weather condition information and news which you can filter in/out, by clicking on "..." on each news, and say you like it or not, or remove the source.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/03/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-21337/

New Build - 21343

New Icons!

file-explorer-icons.png

Lots of new icons are there: Recyling Bin, Drives, Network and more.

Notice also that 3D Object has been removed from "This PC".

Notice how the folder icons are now sideways, and all icons are now facing you, and no longer in a angle.

"Windows Administrative Tools" folder in the Start menu will now be called simply "Windows Tools".

When you rename a file/folder, you can now hit CTRL + Left / Right to move the insertion point cursor to the next or previous word in the name, to help facilitate renaming files/folders. You can also do CTRL + Delete and CTRL + Backspace to delete the entire word that the insertion cursor is on.

Microsoft does note that the Quick Access column in File Explorer will reset to default. They are working on a fix. So, if you have custom entries, take note of them, and expect the need to recreate them.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/03/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-21343/

• 1 month later...

Build 21370

What's New:

• Bluetooth now support AAC audio codec! We now enjoy properly more headsets thanks to AAC being added to Bluetooth stack of Windows. Normally, Windows 10 only supported AptX and SBC codec.
  • In addition, now Windows 10 will unify Bluetooth Headset mode and Stereo mode together. Currently it shows as 2 devices, so you had to choose: Music listening but mic off, or mic on, but craptastic audio quality.
    unified_endpoint.png

No more clicking through multiple audio endpoints to make your Bluetooth headset’s voice and mic work properly. We now only expose one audio endpoint in the UI and will switch to the correct one automatically for you for a seamless experience. Listening to Spotify and then have to hop onto a Teams call? You can also now directly control the volume of your headset.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/04/29/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-21370/

With  GTX 1060 the performance is about 7-10% worse tan my older build. Also the system is a bit laggy - clicks and operating is more sluggish. Returned to older build an all is fine again.

Also in my case, the latest insider Build 21370 is forced to install. Can't set level to beta, only dev. 

Disappointing.

50 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

With  GTX 1060 the performance is about 7-10% worse tan my older build. Also the system is a bit laggy - clicks and operating is more sluggish. Returned to older build an all is fine again.

I hate when this has occurred... you can only hope it gets fixed next week.

Personally, I am not facing a degradation of performance that I am noticing, but then again, I can't play games on my system... so, it's hard to see small performance drops.

I do know that WSL2, when enabled (even though not running) has a performance impact. (My home PC is 12 years old, so it's off, trying to get every drop of performance, but I use it on my work PC. but it's not on the Insider program, for obvious reasons). It might have increased its impact, if you use that.

Using WSL2 or not, I would provide the most information to Microsoft via Feedback Hub, for sure. 

Also in my case, the latest insider Build 21370 is forced to install. Can't set level to beta, only dev. 

Disappointing.

Yea, you can't roll back a Build. If they don't match, you can't switch. And they won't match until we reach the end of the release.

So, one has to either wait, living with the issue, or re-install.

That said, you can roll back to a previous build.

Settings > Update & Security > Recovery

(Pause Windows update after you roll back to not install the current release back)