Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Skip ahead gets a new build: 18855, which brings the new fixes of the Fast Ring to it.

I suspect Skip Ahead will start getting new things that Fast Ring doesn't have after Build.

Hi!

I got build update of 18352 from 18342.8. The installation didn't complete. At on point of multiple restarts, the system remained on, but didn't boot. The screen was't blank or anything, just off, but the system was still running, and restart or the power button didn't work, neither mouse or keyboard. This happened before during, during 18329 update.

Is this a common issue? Anyone else having the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, Excalibur20 said:

When I went to update my computer to the 18342.1 (19h1_release) build this came up. I went and updated all my drivers and it still didn't solve the problem. Not sure what to do.

Windows 10 Update 2_22_2019 6_56_01 PM.png

Well, it appears that the problem was caused by BattleEye anti-cheat service and the Steam anti-cheat service. The solution is uninstalling Steam.

19 hours ago, Excalibur20 said:

Well, it appears that the problem was caused by BattleEye anti-cheat service and the Steam anti-cheat service. The solution is uninstalling Steam.

Yea, BattleEye is a huge problem. I don't think Steam is an issue, as I have it Steam, and it seems work fine on my side.

Apparently, BattleEye is doing undocumented kernel level stuff to check for cheaters. The end results is that BattleEye is not working possibly anymore with the new version of Windows 10, (possibly also causing system stability issues). The company behind this system doesn't give 2 crap in fixing it, despite pressure not only from Microsoft but Epic Games and others. The problem is that big games like Fortnight uses it.  It has been months Microsoft is trying to work with the compant to have a fix ready, but sadly, BattleEye is not interested.

So, will Microsoft put a update block on anyone with BattleEye and those playing Fortnight will now never be able to upgrade? And if they re-install they'll have to say good buy to their games that uses it? Will Microsoft goes, "screw it", and remove it, and now millions of gamers are affected?

For those interested in the coming up Edge web browser using Chromium engine:

Looks nice, they managed to add features that Edge didn't have as well.

Still works needs to be done, this is very early release, not officially released by any means. So no, you can't get your hands on.

I actually noticed 2 issues with windows 10 1903( fast ring) 

1. Windows sandbox crashes on me every time I launch it  
  2. Currently have office 365 installed on my computer, the office link in the start menu only opens office online for me not office 365, office 365 version 1902 

I’ve done a clean install of windows 10 1903 via the iso from the Microsoft website   

On 3/23/2019 at 12:37 PM, Excalibur20 said:

I'm on the build right now on multiple computers and steam is working fine

Hi, I would like to know which build settings am I supposed to be in to receive the final version of windows 10 19h1? I’m currently on the fast ring and enabled the setting that automatically opts me out of the insider program once the final version is installed 

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/articles/check-your-windows-insider-program-settings/

6 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Hi, I would like to know which build settings am I supposed to be in to receive the final version of windows 10 19h1? I’m currently on the fast ring and enabled the setting that automatically opts me out of the insider program once the final version is installed 

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/articles/check-your-windows-insider-program-settings/

You need to pick: "Release Preview" under (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program > (wait for it to load, yes it takes ages for some reason) > Then under "Pick your Insider settings", pick your current ring that you are on right now (should be Fast Ring). When you click on it, it will get you to a screen where you can change your ring. Select "Release Preview"

1732222016_Annotation2019-04-07084223.png.5cbc0afa04a4fb2d5fc3c5678b8b1236.png

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

You need to pick: "Release Preview" under (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program > (wait for it to load, yes it takes ages for some reason) > Then under "Pick your Insider settings", pick your current ring that you are on right now (should be Fast Ring). When you click on it, it will get you to a screen where you can change your ring. Select "Release Preview"

1732222016_Annotation2019-04-07084223.png.5cbc0afa04a4fb2d5fc3c5678b8b1236.png

Is there any refinement Microsoft is going to push to its users ? Or the next version is likely to be the release version(rtm) would definitely not want to miss out on those refinement that Microsoft pushes for 1903(19h1)

1 hour ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Is there any refinement Microsoft is going to push to its users ? Or the next version is likely to be the release version(rtm) would definitely not want to miss out on those refinement that Microsoft pushes for 1903(19h1)

They were, already, more refinement (delivered as Cumulative Updates) that has already been delivered to the Release Preview Ring. Microsoft picked a build as Release Candidate, and start polishing with bug fixes tested by Fast Ring and Slow Ring insiders. The build might match or not the Fast Ring... all depending on which build they selected for final polishing. But they are no difference in features at this point, even if the build numbers don't match, if you wonder.  Even if you are Skip Ahead build, as we speak, there is nothing accessible by the pubic (probably will reveal features after May Update is released), and really open the doors after Build even in May.

A new build arrived today, this one is intresting one. It doesn't something that I read before that Microsoft was apparently planning on doing, but I kinda didn't really understand the logic, and pass it off as improbabe, but yes.. it is true.

This new build of Windows 10 merges the fast Ring with the Skip Ahead ring.. in other words, Fast Ring will now have 20H1 updates, and the Slow RIng will be the targetted 19H2.

Initially, it was Slow and Fast Ring with 19H2, and only Skip Ahead that will have 20H1.

This is a strange decision to me. No explanation on Microsoft part.

I can only guess that they were very few people on Skip Ahead, and Slow Ring, and this is a way to push people on testing 20H1, and have people switch to the Slow Ring, for 19H2 updates. That is just a complete guess on my part. I have no proof, details, not even basing anything from any leaks... just stuff coming from my ass, I guess you can say.

Hi, I have the opt-out setting turn on, on release preview ring, am I supposed to get this message about no longer able to receive insider build and will get anymore refinement and security update for this build till its official release?  The current version is shown in the screenshot below 

image.png.7f32e98cfd144103e44a5be31b02cfca.png

image.png.5aed2b085f60c8b6485bb7cc3de356eb.png

Windows 10 1903( release preview ring ) just GSOD on my laptop while restarting 

the screen looks weird before restarting( looks like as if it has high contrast applied to it ) 

23AD819A-898E-4E25-B0A8-C602572ADB0D.thumb.jpeg.59110c08a1faaff63cf0a94f57e371c0.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Windows 10 1903( release preview ring ) just GSOD on my laptop while restarting 

the screen looks weird before restarting( looks like as if it has high contrast applied to it ) 

This BSOD/GSOD is because a driver doesn't support sleep/hibernate power state. Sadly, you'll need to dig through log and event viewer to try and discover which driver is at fault. Once found, you have to make sure it is updated, hopefully it has the issue resolved. Another issue is a driver conflict has occured, and it is a serious pain to fix, and requires lots of playing arround, hate to say this, but a clean install is best.

What you can do, Revert back. Yuo have 10 days since you upgraded to revert back your system to the previous version of Windows that yu had, and everything should be back to normal as it was.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

This BSOD/GSOD is because a driver doesn't support sleep/hibernate power state. Sadly, you'll need to dig through log and event viewer to try and discover which driver is at fault. Once found, you have to make sure it is updated, hopefully it has the issue resolved. Another issue is a driver conflict has occured, and it is a serious pain to fix, and requires lots of playing arround, hate to say this, but a clean install is best.

What you can do, Revert back. Yuo have 10 days since you upgraded to revert back your system to the previous version of Windows that yu had, and everything should be back to normal as it was.

where can I dig through the logs to find the information that I need, reverting isn't an option since I've been using it for months(unless I do a clean install)

current video driver 

intel hd graphics 4000- latest version 

nvidia gt720m - win7(ASUS version) - this version was installed due to issues with win8+ drivers( including the latest version for windows 10) - this laptop comes preloaded with windows 8 

If you do mean dmp file, you may refer to it below

15-4-2019.html

041519-9343-01.dmp

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I've just did a clean install via the windows insider advance iso, this time using windows update for all my GPU driver instead

when I try to update to the release preview build, I got an error

image.png.8721b122a3233717f99c9831991a8f64.png

1 minute ago, Yongtjunkit said:

I've just did a clean install via the windows insider advance iso, this time using windows update for all my GPU driver instead

when I try to update to the release preview build, I got an error

That indicates that an upgrade block has been put in place. This probabnly because of the issue you faced before and probably you were not alone on it.

You'll sadly have to wait.

My Surface Pro 3 cannot upgrade either to the latest build, WIndows Update shows an error even before it does anything. However, my old desktop ha sno issue. So this may be an upgrade block in place as well. Feedback Hub suggest I am not alone.

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That indicates that an upgrade block has been put in place. This probabnly because of the issue you faced before and probably you were not alone on it.

My Surface Pro 3 cannot upgrade either to the latest build, WIndows Update shows an error even before it does anything. However, my old desktop ha sno issue. So this may be an upgrade block in place as well. Feedback Hub suggest I am not alone.

I think Microsoft used to tell you what driver/hardware/software that is causing the upgraded block ( something like the picture below ) Both GPU used to work in windows 10 properly1704147921_Screenshot(103).png.f7029820dc3b97a15b639b42bf86ae31.png

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

the only issue is the time bomb is ticking

image.png.848ae4725f1c04089c53431646fd39a5.png

On 4/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, GoodBytes said:

the problem happened again(screen in high contrast, this also happened in windows 10 1809), not sure if you can see the issue though. This time it was able to reboot without GSOD2019-04-17_18-59-29.png.6a82a0bf4551ca2dba6c33047bd880fd.png

Phone upload 

C29ECCCD-E66D-4B25-9C0C-A95F2E95F445.thumb.jpeg.13b31a0ee30e39ce20531030eaa4fed2.jpeg126B0AA8-F56D-4460-A48F-6232A57079C0.thumb.jpeg.23d62427e298e51f51b8d7684322c0b6.jpegC5AEAD60-8700-46BA-A664-842953950EE2.thumb.jpeg.73b98d176eca915733cd70d37f72d220.jpeg2A31251D-5F63-4938-9421-687EF7ED5562.thumb.jpeg.fb3ccdbcaa992370a6c6595b8014aed3.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

the problem happened again(screen in high contrast, this also happened in windows 10 1809), not sure if you can see the issue though. This time it was able to reboot without GSOD

Phone upload 

Heumm.. hmm....Something is totally screwed up. why mmc.exe is blocked?

Why cmd.exe needs admin (unless you asked for it)?

As for the contrast, I don't know... could be GPU driver issue..

Does your laptop support Nvidia Optimus by any chance?

I see that your GeForce 720 is a rebranded Fermi chip, and that one has been discountinued by Nvidia.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4656

I can't even find the drivers on Nvidia website for any version of Windows.

So you are stuck with the OEM drivers. If you have Nvidia Optimus, then even if you had support from Nvidia, you wouldstill be locked down to the OEM drivers for proper operation, as Nvidia Optimus is very finisky thing with custom Intel integrated drivers.

59 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Heumm.. hmm....Something is totally screwed up. why mmc.exe is blocked?

Why cmd.exe needs admin (unless you asked for it)?

As for the contrast, I don't know... could be GPU driver issue..

Does your laptop support Nvidia Optimus by any chance?

I see that your GeForce 720 is a rebranded Fermi chip, and that one has been discountinued by Nvidia.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4656

I can't even find the drivers on Nvidia website for any version of Windows.

So you are stuck with the OEM drivers. If you have Nvidia Optimus, then even if you had support from Nvidia, you wouldstill be locked down to the OEM drivers for proper operation, as Nvidia Optimus is very finisky thing with custom Intel integrated drivers.

• the cmd.exe part, I asked for admin, if you looked closely, it says unknown publisher
  • The Nvidia Part, I'm currently using is from windows updates( both Nvidia and Intel), the Nvidia driver won't work because " unsupported GPU error", don't remember it supporting Nvidia Optimus
  • No idea why mmc.exe is blocked even though I'm logged into as admin user and on windows 10 home  

by the way windows was clean installed 2 days ago

39 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

by the way windows was clean installed 2 days ago

Hm ok, but I see so many things on your desktop, BitDenfer and a bunch of other stuff.

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Hm ok, but I see so many things on your desktop, BitDenfer and a bunch of other stuff.

I've actually reinstalled almost all my software, Files on the desktop already exist since the files are stored on the D : drive, some icon on the desktop doesn't show any logo since I didn't reinstall them

image.png.8bc99d4dc12a4b6acd21be45be0fab0f.png

edit: regarding about the Nvidia Optimus technology, apparently the GPU supports it but as far as I recalled, it's not enabled due to "not supported" message