Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Hi, this is the topic for all things W10 development. The previous, outdated first message is in the spoiler below, nothing else here for now.

Hi guys, there are a few topics about Windows 10, but here I want to make one just for people (like me) who test the system.

Windows Insider Program

https://insider.windows.com/

I'm just beginning my testing, I'm running it on Oracle Virtualbox, if you're curious what my settings are, here you go:

Edit: Default Windows 8.1 settings should work, if not, here you've got mine:

Microsoft Windows, Other (32bit)

All cores, 100% (shouldn't affect much, work speed is quite high)

TURN ON PAE (otherwise the system won't start)

128MB GPU, 3D Acceleration

I needed to shut down the virtual machine a few times because of a black screen, don't worry if you get one.

After you install everything, your network and audio might not work. I managed to fix my issues with those settings:
Spoiler

REXJrro.png

y6zvPs5.png

The great list of easter eggs and bugs:

Spoiler

Charm bar search still exists.

You can "summon" it by Win + C

There are two task managers

Spoiler

beWgwJB.png

What's new?

Spoiler

A little bit different structure of C:\

C:\ is now better organized, it's more minimalistic. That's how it works:

C:\

-PerfLogs

-Program Files

-Users

--Name

--Public

-Windows

Thanks. I'm downloading the ISO right now.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Downloading right now, takes FOREVER. Servers must be jammed..

It took me about 5-10 minutes :)

downloading ,thanks

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Currently downloading, ~20 min to go. I was already starting to get worried about using VirtualBox for it. But seeing as it worked for you I have no more worries about using it on that WM.

How do I turn PAE on though? I have only used VB at school, and the stuff we did didn't require that.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Currently downloading, ~20 min to go. I was already starting to get worried about using VirtualBox for it. But seeing as it worked for you I have no more worries about using it on that WM.

How do I turn PAE on though? I have only used VB at school, and the stuff we did didn't require that.

It works fine, well, except the fact that I have no internet connection, but hey, at least we can use it ;)

To turn PAE you just need to check a box that's in Settings --> System ---> Processor

Why in the world are you linking the x86 version instead of the x64? O.o

Because VirtualBox doesn't allow x64 windows WM's, atleas for some reason i cant use then on 4.3.16. I am assuming that is what the OP is using as well, as it is the newest version.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

:( its taking such a loooong time (2days is what chrome is quoting)

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Never run a virtual machine before, but want to have a look at it. Any tips or tricks for Virtualbox?

Download is 30 minutes away...

Why in the world are you linking the x86 version instead of the x64? O.o

1. Unless you've got a new processor and an option checked in BIOS, you can only run 32bit VMs.

2. Usually 32bit version has better compatibility than 64bit one.

3. 32bit system takes up less RAM, so people with small amount RAM can use it as well.

4. Most important of all, I don't have a direct link to the 64bit one :D

I didn't have any problem installing this in Linux KVM.

t8p8v9.jpg

Does audio work for you? And what are your network settings?

Never run a virtual machine before, but want to have a look at it. Any tips or tricks for Virtualbox?

Download is 30 minutes away...

Everything is pretty much straight forward, you just need to apply the settings mentioned above.

How much GB of storage should I give it?

I always take default 20GB, my installation uses just nearly 7GB though.

I always take default 20GB, my installation uses just nearly 7GB though.

And creating a partition is just the same as in a normal windows install?

And creating a partition is just the same as in a normal windows install?

Yep. PM me for simple VM-newbie questions please :)

1. Unless you've got a new processor and an option checked in BIOS, you can only run 32bit VMs.

2. Usually 32bit version has better compatibility than 64bit one.

3. 32bit system takes up less RAM, so people with small amount RAM can use it as well.

4. Most important of all, I don't have a direct link to the 64bit one :D

Well I guess I'm the only one who's stupid enough to run it as my main OS... :D

Damn i downloaded 64 bit :P 

Anyways, i was clueless what to do, downloading 32 bit now. 

Thanks for tips :) 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Okay guys, here are bugs/easter eggs that I found so far, I'll put them all in the first post.

Two task managers

beWgwJB.png

Charm bar still exists (if you click on search in apps)

7TaNQ7R.png

Clipboard doesn't work (at least for me)

Sent from Windows 10

I managed to fix my audio and network issues, here are my settings, I hope it can help you ;)

REXJrro.png

y6zvPs5.png

Why are you hiding your virtual NIC name and virtual MAC address?

I dunno, it isn't needed and I'm being quite careful about stuff like that ;)

It's asking me for what drivers to install during main install, what do?

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It's asking me for what drivers to install during main install, what do?

I used all recommended settings, it didn't ask me anything specific.

You are behind a Natted network within your LAN behind your router. The NIC model is the same in everyone's VirtualBox and the MAC address is randomly generated.

Thanks, good to know :)

I get this error when booting the ISO. EDIT: Never mind PAE wasn't enabled. Sorry.24bryw5.png

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.