Project Minivalidus an X99 NCASE Build.

d33g33

Sorry all this has taken a lot longer than I would have liked but, we've successfully moved house. Should have internet back on Today or Tomorrow...

Little text updates.

In 2 weeks I should have all the desks for the new study set up, once they are in I will be delidding and lapping then restesting, once that's all done it will get built into the NCASE. Once built I'll start sourcing watercooling parts :)

I bought some small parts the other day, a LED kit for the Dominator Platinums and a Mionix Sargas 900 Deskpad Mmmmm :)

The updates are near!

Just getting my room fit out with a heap of IKEA. 2.4m down one wall, 3.0m across the back wall and 2.4m down the 3rd wall. Gonna be so nice having some working space!

gNBX06e.jpg

Nice! I wish the room i'm in allowed me to have more desk space!

I currently just have one ikea desk from the 80s

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Nice! I wish the room i'm in allowed me to have more desk space!

I currently just have one ikea desk from the 80s

I was a bit lucky, I just kinda told the wife how much the "Desk" was ($331 AUD), I didn't actually clarify how big it was. It was only when I started making multiple trips back and forth to the car with more and more tabletops that my wife came creeping around with a raised eyebrow. Basically it ended with, "You have an entire house, I have a garden shed and THIS ROOM" winning :D

Also man, that avatar I stare at more than I should admit...

I was a bit lucky, I just kinda told the wife how much the "Desk" was ($331 AUD), I didn't actually clarify how big it was. It was only when I started making multiple trips back and forth to the car with more and more tabletops that my wife came creeping around with a raised eyebrow. Basically it ended with, "You have an entire house, I have a garden shed and THIS ROOM" winning :D

Haha, better leave some of that desk clear for now, you might end up having to sleep on it! :P

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

• 2 weeks later...

Great!! Good luck with moving, unpacking and all other stuff you probably have to do

Great!! Good luck with moving, unpacking and all other stuff you probably have to do

Thanks mate, we have moved its just getting set back up.

I had a crack at vlogging the build, we'll see if I keep it up or not...

I've remeved by choice to stay within the COC guidelines of linustechtips.com

KwXvacZ.jpg

Hello all,

apologies for such a delay but i'm happy to announce some progress!

Now lets kick things into high gear and stop dragging this build out eh?

I had some time on the weekend so decided to delid and lap the 4790k. Its 'risky' business but after delidding my 3770k I couldn't not do the 4790k

What is delidding? Well its where you separate the metal plate called an IHS(integrated heat spreader) on top of the CPU and replace the thermal compound between the CPU die on the CPU and the IHS.

What is lapping? It is where you take the IHS and sand it perfectly flat to maximize metal to metal contact between the IHS and the CPU cooler.

So with that out of the way I used the 'vice only' method, the CPU PCB on one jaw of the vice and the IHS on the other jaw, slowly slowly and off it came (took a video) Sorry no photos.

EDIT// Potato Below

ExNKFAB.jpg

I used the corner of some plastic packaging and TIM remover and wiped the PCB clean of glue.

J0nl0YW.jpg

Next, we tackle it with some Wet/Dry sandpaper, I tape it down to a piece of glass as that gives me an extremely flat surface.

600grit, you can see that the outer edge is the highspot on this CPU's IHS.

V0BOuxG.jpg

JSM9rcz.jpg

Next onto 800grit, farewell any CPU markings.

DWmvO21.jpg

xw2clkD.jpg

It also picked up a very low sheen already

UbYf7kv.jpg

Next onto 1200grit

tRqVn2I.jpg

Can almost make it out :P

l6CxYSs.jpg

Finally 1500grit and its looking smexy, you could go to 2000grit for a high polish but I stopped here.

U3SGJ4S.jpg

BLING!

uufe46o.jpg

Was it worth it? Well it wasn't as good as what I got out of the 3770k but, the 3770k was a very bad temp chip and this 4790k has been pretty good.

NkJDdMI.jpg

Strangely my idle temps are higher now, but load temps average nearly 12degrees cooler! And well, 66 degrees on a 4.9ghz OC @ 1.3vcore only being cooled by a H100i in push with quiet edition fans isn't bad at all.

Thanks for stopping by again! Apparently I have some gifts in the mail so I'll be sure to update when they arrive but next weekend, we have some painting to do ;)

Strangely my idle temps are higher now, but load temps average nearly 12degrees cooler! And well, 66 degrees on a 4.9ghz OC @ 1.3vcore only being cooled by a H100i in push with quiet edition fans isn't bad at all.

WHAAAAAAAAAAT ?!?!?!!?!?

12 degrees?

are you sure that you didn't fuck up the measurement :D

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

The new thermal paste between the chip and IHS, is it "standard" termal paste like MX-4 or do you need a special one?

Heres a video I did of the delidding and lapping process :)

I've removed by choice to stay within the COC for linustechtips.com

is it really against the coc? especially since it most likely isn't a monetized channel anyway?

I mean you can pretty much write and post photos about everything you like, but you cant post a video?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

is it really against the coc? especially since it most likely isn't a monetized channel anyway?

I mean you can pretty much write and post photos about everything you like, but you cant post a video?

seems weird to me to, especially because it is a kind of build log/vlog

The new thermal paste between the chip and IHS, is it "standard" termal paste like MX-4 or do you need a special one?

You can use MX-4 but if you want the best results CoolLLaboratoy Ultra/Pro is should be used. http://www.coollaboratory.com/en/products/

Its kinda grey but I approached the mods and asked them. It probably could have been left up there but the short answer is, if appealing for subs and likes (as I am) it is against COC. Im doing that to support my hobby.

seems weird to me to, especially because it is a kind of build log/vlog

makes sense as above. if it was a personal channel not appealing for likes or subs or monetization its fine.

KwXvacZ.jpg

So a small update I guess. I'm waiting on a bunch of stuff to show up but basically once I get some cabling stuff arrive this build will start to move into the NCASE and I can start measuring for watercooling and some custom case work.

Today I decided to paint a couple of heatsinks to match the build.

The removed heatsinks.

5PrVmD2.jpg

Iy4T9iJ.jpg

And fast forward and the chipset heatsink is black and the power delivery now white :) Much better.

2Eemli8.jpg

cNZt0gp.jpg

Another small update is I finally installed the lightbar kits into the Dominator Platinums, because they weren't sexy enough! :P

Mmmm

9EL3xkq.jpg

Some kit

vkC5Qh7.jpg

4x screws and its off

tvruUZw.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaand installed

rQoglGb.jpg

And yes, still on the test bench....

UpknZb3.jpg

How does the paint affect the heat transfer of the heatsinks, or doesn't it really matter with such small heatsinks? And those lightbars look really good!

How does the paint affect the heat transfer of the heatsinks, or doesn't it really matter with such small heatsinks? And those lightbars look really good!

I'm sure someone will want to argue the point but, 90% of the chipset heatsink is plastic so I would say no difference. Also I swapped out the gunk thermal compound they supply for some MX-4 so lets just say I think it's even :)

I wonder if this would fit in the M1 ...

30626_0__WARA_384_1g.jpg

what is the name of this rad ? its not that clear for me to see