Project Minivalidus an X99 NCASE Build.

d33g33

Asrock is on fire.

Server board for x99 with 4x SO-DIMM Ram slots.

Very interesting

20150430-1.jpg

but no ocing on that board ;)

also the io ... 3 rj45, 2 USB and a vga(?)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Asrock is on fire.

Server board for x99 with 4x SO-DIMM Ram slots.

Very interesting

20150430-1.jpg

Does a server need to be kept small like that? 

I prefer the regular x99 board, you could put the latest processor, the latest video card, and using the m.2 port you could then put the intel 750 ssd in there as well, and keep it in a tiny ITX case. A computer so small yet better than 99% of the competition. 

I really hope Linus does it. On his instagram he's given it a titan x , but I doubt they're going to put the 750 in there, since that'll get it's own video.

Edit: using the m.2 with a 4 pci 3.0 lanes will also help justify x99 on the ITX. An lga1150 ITX will only handle cpu's with 16 pci 3.0 lanes, so you can't use the latest pcie m.2 ssd's in there, unless you cut the number of pcie lanes to your gpu. I'm not sure how it would affect a single gpu only having 8 lanes, but with x99 that's no problem. The 5920k has 28 lanes, and then both the 5930k and the 5960x have 40. With the 2.5" version of intel's 750 ssd, asus have a little card that plugs into the m.2 slot on motherboards. There's a maximum of 20 pcie 3.0 lanes used on the ITX motherboard.

Edit 2: Also just seen that MSI have the riser card for the connector, and presumably all of the major vendors are going to aswell.  M.2_to_Turbo_Mini-SAS2.png

• 2 weeks later...

so apparently Linus already has one :)

edit:

also that is the Silverstone SG13 (11.5 litres case)

They just released the video on Vessel, its amazing but ridiculous

They just released the video on Vessel, its amazing but ridiculous

I don't think I needed to read anymore thank "mITX X99" to know it would be ridiculous and amazing

Are you planning on using the stock cooler with that asrock x99 board? I'm looking at the same board and just curious about it's cooling abilities. 

Are you planning on using the stock cooler with that asrock x99 board? I'm looking at the same board and just curious about it's cooling abilities. 

God no.

Full custom loop, unsure if ill go EK with their slim ILM bracket or custom make a bracket for the Fractal-Design Kelvin AIO

God no.

Full custom loop, unsure if ill go EK with their slim ILM bracket or custom make a bracket for the Fractal-Design Kelvin AIO

Hmm, well I wont have any room for water cooling. Good luck with the build. I hope to see it finished soon. 

KwXvacZ.jpg

So this thread has gone without any serious updates for a long time...

The first update in parts has come as this build will go through its evolution (re: complete swap out)

I am proud, and super excited that RamCity.com.au have helped me out in supplying me with a 256gb SM951 M.2 disk! Compared to the Crucial M550 im running now its 3-4x faster! With the M550 clocking in at about 550mb/s reads and 500mb/s writes and the SM951 blitzing that with 2100mb/s reads and 1500mb/s writes!

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/samsung-sm951-256gb-ahci-m.2-pcie-3.0-x4-80mm-ssd/MZHPV256HDGL-00000 

buePWD1.jpg

8Bazc0b.jpg

0NexOKC.jpg

clYBHfH.jpg

I'm still waiting on this damned motherboard to be released in Aust and then things should start to get very interesting!

whooop whooop update :D

(btw your link is broken https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/samsung-sm951-256gb-ahci-m.2-pcie-3.0-x4-80mm-ssd/MZHPV256HDGL-00000)

I'm still waiting on this damned motherboard to be released in Aust and then things should start to get very interesting!

@LinusTech should just send you his X99E-ITX

whooop whooop update :D

(btw your link is broken https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/samsung-sm951-256gb-ahci-m.2-pcie-3.0-x4-80mm-ssd/MZHPV256HDGL-00000)

@LinusTech should just send you his X99E-ITX

IKR Soooooooooooooooooooooo excited!

(fixed, thanks)

I have some differing opinions to @LinusTech at the moment and I doubt very highly he would be willing to send me anything like that board! (though Linus I still respect the hell out of you)

I think from what i'm running right now i'm reusing the PSU and the case, and the case is still in its box... so... just the PSU from current config... lolz!

Finally the Asrock board has shown up at an Australian retailer but its $400! its $250USD on Newegg, Aust retailers need to stop doing this, this is why we buy stuff and bring it in from the USA.

You were given an SM951?

I thought they weren't even available for pro previewers?

Samsung even got angry at PCPER, asking where the hell they got one...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You were given an SM951?

I thought they weren't even available for pro previewers?

Samsung even got angry at PCPER, asking where the hell they got one...

Yea was given...

I was about to say they are everywhere but... only RamCity in Australia has them although, they were the only company that had the XP941 as well.

They gave one to Dan Woods maybe a week before me? Not sure what that agreement is...

I'm going to change over it tonight. Will put up M550 vs SM951 real world Crystal comparisons.

it seems as it starts to warm up it incrementally adds voltage to the fan, but the minimum voltage is less than what the fan requires to spin so it gets 1v, 2v, 3v, 4v, 5v (starts spinning) etc and while its stepping up in voltage people are reporting little *chirps* it literally sounds like a bird chirping

Do you mind me asking how noticeable the chirping is? My Ncase should be coming at the end of the month but I still can't decide on what PSU to get, from the video it seems loud but I'm wondering whether it would be drowned out by the case fans.

Do you mind me asking how noticeable the chirping is? My Ncase should be coming at the end of the month but I still can't decide on what PSU to get, from the video it seems loud but I'm wondering whether it would be drowned out by the case fans.

Mine isn't even in the case yet its in an open test bench still right next to me and its inaudible. i'm 100% happy with it, it's near silent for me.

so will you order the ASrock board from the US then?

Well Newegg have it for $250USD but wont ship to Aust, Amazon have it for $300USD and will but after conversion, shipping and taxes its not worth the $20-$30 i'd save.

So i'm waiting for now to see what some of my favorite and generally cheaper retailers do...

Mine isn't even in the case yet its in an open test bench still right next to me and its inaudible. i'm 100% happy with it, it's near silent for me.

Okay great! It's a toss up between the SFX 600W and the SFX-L 500W, leaning more towards the 600 as I'm worried that the SFW-L will be too tight.

Okay great! It's a toss up between the SFX 600W and the SFX-L 500W, leaning more towards the 600 as I'm worried that the SFW-L will be too tight.

Apparently the 500-LG isn't without its issues either it has gone through a revision and they stated that they 'are now using all Japanese capacitors' though I didn't read into what the issue actually was.

Essentially, SilverStone told me that if you can hear it from 1ft away its too loud and you can return it for a replacement. That sucks for downtime but they are standing by the product it seems and want you to be happy with it.

Yea was given...

I was about to say they are everywhere but... only RamCity in Australia has them although, they were the only company that had the XP941 as well.

They gave one to Dan Woods maybe a week before me? Not sure what that agreement is...

I'm going to change over it tonight. Will put up M550 vs SM951 real world Crystal comparisons.

Yes, i was mistaken.

The SM951 is everywhere, but that's apparently still the AHCI version...

My understanding was that the SM951 was NVME only, not both, and that it wasn't available at all.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

So on that, I did some testing last night.

This is the Cruicial M550 M.2 (sata) disk

KnoAGYo.png

Sure its no slouch...  but lets compare it to the Samsung SM951 (pcie) m.2 drive

WemYaWA.png

It's fast, but not as fast as it should be... what the hell.

Apparently the cheeky devils at Asus on the Asus z97 Pro (and also evidently on the Asus z97i-Plus) only allocates 2 PCIE lanes through m.2 instead of 4x so im topping out at 8gbps or 800mb/s

Excellent work through I found on it here. http://www.thessdreview.com/Forums/samsung/4482-sm951-asus-z97-pro-runs-slow-clean-install.htmlCheeky Asus, very cheeky (and disappointing)

I guess i'm just lucky I am going to X99 and that its Asrock with their m.2 Ultra slot which is routed directly to CPU

Also, while i was running speed tests, this is what my R4 was running with 4x 160gb SSD's in RAID-0 (sata 2 drives though)

jRI717j.png

afaik the only Z97 ITX motherboard with PCIe 3.0 4x (32GBit/s) link in the M.2 slot is the Asus Impact (and then the PEG slot falls down to PCIe 3.0 8x) ;)

Shouldn't be a problem with the asrock x99e-itx.

Intel needs to up the PCIe links with their consumer platforms with PCIe SSDs becoming more and more common ...

I saw a picture but didn't realize it was slim ILM as Norm pointed out though with its non standard fitting sizes it would be better to just get the slim ILM bracket for their supremacy block. Still not sure which why I'll go for CPU block and pump.