Project Minivalidus an X99 NCASE Build.

d33g33
On 01/02/2016 at 2:18 PM, alpenwasser said:

Ah yes, life... she can be a bit spontaneous and uncooperative with plans on occasion, have made experiences with that too. :D

So off topic (and probably will get removed, but you like dual CPU things, don't ya?) Would this board (this) have a chance of fitting into this? The lengths appear to be correct without the drive cages.

@alpenwasser Sorry for calling you again but could you (read) delete this post?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how interested anyone will be in this build anymore but a small update as I prep the system for air.

Just ordered a Noctua NH-C14 for the CPU, its a big sucker but I doubt i'll be OCing to 4.4ghz. I wanted the BeQuiet TF because that thing looks bad ass but 2 issues. 1, can't get one in Australia anywhere and 2. they dont officially support the slim ILM mount my motherboard uses.

The Noctua will do a great job but if the fans really annoy me I might swap them for some BQ Silent Wings, I've never heard them but they are supposed to be amazing. 2 issues with getting them as well is 1. they are out of stock everywhere and 2. they are $35 each! for a fan!

Unexpectedly I have been approached my a manufacturer to do a build for them so looks like im back on the wagon, im sure i'll drop the thread link in here when it goes up.

Thanks for everyones interest during this build. :)

Quite the interesting read. I'm doing my own NCase M1 build, kind of similar to yours. Although I'm trying to avoid those "mods" and hardware swap choices that "defeat you." I've already experienced a little bit of this alone with air cooling. It looks good though, very good! I saw that you've changed back over to air now, but, EKWB released a bracket to allow their CPU blocks on Narrow ILM. 

I seem to be off to a good start. Before reading this I had already decided on a reference GPU, which has helped keep compatibility good. I've learned, preemptively, from some of the mistakes you've made. Just unluckily for me, I have no "sponsors!" If you're interested, check it out. I'm still interested where you take this build, and will be watching for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2016 at 1:48 AM, Sazexa said:

Quite the interesting read. I'm doing my own NCase M1 build, kind of similar to yours. Although I'm trying to avoid those "mods" and hardware swap choices that "defeat you." I've already experienced a little bit of this alone with air cooling. It looks good though, very good! I saw that you've changed back over to air now, but, EKWB released a bracket to allow their CPU blocks on Narrow ILM. 

I seem to be off to a good start. Before reading this I had already decided on a reference GPU, which has helped keep compatibility good. I've learned, preemptively, from some of the mistakes you've made. Just unluckily for me, I have no "sponsors!" If you're interested, check it out. I'm still interested where you take this build, and will be watching for sure.

If you have a peek 1 page back I had the Bitspower FCB which is purpose built for this socket and board I didnt have the issue there.

As long as you learnt something I guess this thread was beneficial to someone :)

My NH-C14 arrived, just waiting for the slim ILM mount to arrive from Noctua,m still the side panel wont fit until I swap out the GPU.

I was excited for that new dual GPU AMD card until I saw that it requires 3(!?) 8 pin power cables, 3!

Its unlikely but if NVidia were to release a dual 980 card i'd buy it tomorrow, though I dont like the chances with that happening.

Lets see what Pascal brings otherwise I might look at a 980Ti and call it a day. For now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update? Sure why the hell not.

So all the watercooling was pulled as discussed, I ordered a NH-C14, asked Noctua for a slim ILM mount and after being berated about how they don't support it with this cooler, sent it anyway.

When it arrived the box for the cooler, was almost as big as my case itself.

0YIUWm2.jpg

0Z6RZrR.jpg

Looking at it like this, it doesn't look like it will fit, though other people have had it fit, and with the X99-ITX motherboard so it must, right?

Apparently yes!

pyuxaCH.jpg

It was however, a complete and total bitch, as with everything else with the build! ugh! Super small sounded cool at the start. Im not going to say never again, but gee-wiz!

Boop, nice tight fit with the GPU PSU cables.

39yTn8J.jpg

d6afM0K.jpg

5ozkWVz.jpg

dmlRkCG.jpg

w6GRbhq.jpg

Look at this! obvious the PSU cables but float your eyes down and thats the little sucker! The GPU heatpipe that could not be solved!!!
cPlcrRL.jpg

And final glamour shot!
Boom, love this photo :)

asoKhnT.jpg

And right now, the GPU has been removed, and sold. Making way for a new reference :P GPU.

How nice it will be to get both side panels on this thing...

so thats where we're at!

• 3 weeks later...

So, not really related but kinda related.

As this is my main rig I had some leftover gear from my ambilight TV project I did, some may or may not be familiar with it. Anyways...

I've been seeing heaps of LED backlight work stations so I figured i'd repurpose the project onto my 34", so thats exactly what I did...

On the 58" Samsung I had 200 of these 12mm diffused individually controllable RGB LED's

zd1NWgB.jpg

So I laid it all out and attached it to teh back of my 34" ultrawide.

fM3E4N4.jpg

Still using the Teensy 2.0 micro controller.

9ld1bKT.jpg

Some primitive cuts let the frame bend around with the monitor backing.

ixlbXcv.jpg

And much to my surprise, 108 LEDs fit on the back of this thing!

rFxzPBe.jpg

It gets powered by its own 5v 10A PSU but im noticing some color shift so I think im getting voltage drop by the end of the string. I might have to add the 2nd PSU I have,

So I can set it to Res, Blue, Green, Purple, White, or whatever static color I want however thats not the real idea. Because they are individually controllable essentially I have screen capture software running that sends that data to the micro controller and then that data to the LED's for an 'active LED backlight' that changes with whats been shown on the monitor.

Here's a really bad example, the lights haven't been tuned at all, the wall isn't white, its in a corner instead of flat against a wall and the camera suck but, you get the idea right?

Holy crap. That's amazing! I've never seen anything like that before. How???

Also, I've been lurking on this thread for quite a while now, and it's all very impressive; not just the sweet LEDs. Pretty much my dream setup, you've got there :P

On 2016-05-01 at 11:16 AM, d33g33 said:

I did a 'better' video :)

Also, where can I find this version of this song? Shazam told me it's called "Вэлетай" by Problema, but I want just the instrumentals, like you have; not with the guy rapping over the first bit.

On 06/05/2016 at 2:15 PM, Drewbydrew said:

Also, where can I find this version of this song? Shazam told me it's called "Вэлетай" by Problema, but I want just the instrumentals, like you have; not with the guy rapping over the first bit.

On another note,

You have to be kidding if you think MiniValidus isnt getting a GTX1080 on release.

35 minutes ago, d33g33 said:

You have to be kidding if you think MiniValidus isnt getting a GTX1080 on release.

I knew this would happen. nVidia basically just obsoleted their entire line up. They'll have to drop the price for the 980ti a whole lot if they want it to make sense. Imagine a 980ti for $300, maybe $500 in Australia. I'm pumped.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

1 hour ago, nmil said:

I knew this would happen. nVidia basically just obsoleted their entire line up. They'll have to drop the price for the 980ti a whole lot if they want it to make sense. Imagine a 980ti for $300, maybe $500 in Australia. I'm pumped.

That wont happen for a while, and never from a retailer.

780Ti is still valid at $300 2nd hand.

I think that in real world the 1080 will just edge out the 980Ti... I'm interesting in hearing more about the "Founders Edition"

1 hour ago, d33g33 said:

That wont happen for a while, and never from a retailer.

780Ti is still valid at $300 2nd hand.

I think that in real world the 1080 will just edge out the 980Ti... I'm interesting in hearing more about the "Founders Edition"

Retailers will eventually have to bring the price down, otherwise they would have tonnes of leftover stock, who would buy the 980ti if the 1070 was faster and cheaper.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

11 hours ago, nmil said:

Retailers will eventually have to bring the price down, otherwise they would have tonnes of leftover stock, who would buy the 980ti if the 1070 was faster and cheaper.

I watched when I went from 600 series to 700 and 700 series to 900, that phenomenon never occurred. Maybe ther'es a deal with the manufacturers to buy back their unbroken down stock, no idea.

On 2016-05-08 at 1:29 AM, d33g33 said:

-snip-

On another note,

Thank you very much!

And never mind; when that day comes, only THEN will you have my dream setup! :P

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, MrSuperb said:

Looks like most custom 1080s are going to be quite large (i.e. not m1 friendly) ....

Wait for one with a nice PCB > Watercool.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2016 at 2:44 AM, MrSuperb said:

Looks like most custom 1080s are going to be quite large (i.e. not m1 friendly) ....

Yea pretty much all

On 5/28/2016 at 3:00 AM, TheRandomness said:

Wait for one with a nice PCB > Watercool.

I'm done with watercooling in the NCASE, not happening.

On another note I went against what I said.
With the 980Ti's flooding the market I picked up a EVGA GTX980Ti FTW edition for half the price of a GTX1080, my seemingly older age couldnt turn it down.

With a new top secret build in the works one the FTW arrives I think ill call it quits with the NCASE build. It will remain a strong secondary PC with the 980Ti.
I have a Be Quiet Silent Wings fan to replace the ugly Noctua fan though. 

Final specs and updates should be up next week.

4 hours ago, d33g33 said:

Yea pretty much all

I'm done with watercooling in the NCASE, not happening.

On another note I went against what I said.
With the 980Ti's flooding the market I picked up a EVGA GTX980Ti FTW edition for half the price of a GTX1080, my seemingly older age couldnt turn it down.

With a new top secret build in the works one the FTW arrives I think ill call it quits with the NCASE build. It will remain a strong secondary PC with the 980Ti.
I have a Be Quiet Silent Wings fan to replace the ugly Noctua fan though. 

Final specs and updates should be up next week.

The struggle. Problem with such small cases. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!