3D print your next house, because you can

TopWargamer

Source: http://gizmodo.com/the-project-to-let-anyone-download-and-print-their-own-1637795903?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

In an age where the Internet rules and 3D printing is becoming a thing, it seems like you can download and make just about anything. A gun? Check. A Car? Check. A...house? Yup, that's checked too. 

WikiHouse has a bright new plan to help people build their own home for around $80,000, which is a fraction of the average American house price of $300,000. It's nothing special, and of course, some assembly is required, but if you're on the market for a "budget house", then I guess you found it. 

"It's not a "3D-printed house." It's actually way cooler than that, because it uses existing rapid prototyping tech that's widely available for not much money. In that sense, it's far, far more realistic than the multi-million dollar efforts to "print" whole buildings. In reality, 3D printing as we currently understand it doesn't make much sense as a building technology." With that being said, yes, a lot of the materials are 3D printed, but other supplies are used. The source describes these other parts as "super-efficient, inexpensive off-the-shelf parts" and requires no bolts to put together, yet still provides a sturdy frame. 

This all sounds a bit too good to be true, but I'm more than open to the idea. What are your thoughts on "3D printed houses" and would you live in one?

vrndrnws7jpx4mjavivz.jpg

g6pminfc8kqr9bziwnmi.gif

(As you can see in the gif, the pieces fit together like a puzzle...literally...)

COMIC SANS

I prefer my house to be made out of cement or bricks.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Had I the money (millions . . . .) i'd probably move to Canada (dual citizen) and have a custom house, try to have solar panels all over the roof and on the grounds, the basement would have no insulation (for folding rigs) I'd think 250 meters (or more) by 250 meters and a couple of stories would probably be fine . . . . .

preferably, kevlar, and or 3" think steel plate

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

How light would a 3D printed house be? I'd imagine that it'd blow over in the wind. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

preferably, kevlar, and or 3" think steel plate

3"? no, 3'

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Lets see what will happen if you crash a car into the house......

Or even better, a 3D printed car

Both fall apart in such a way that they can be put back together, sort of like a crash in a lego game lol

Probably not I'd think. Could we 3d print bricks that acts steel and or some nanomaterial?

Probably, you can print metal and ceramics now. Although it would be expensive to print something like carbon fiber.

I, like Linus, would still prefer to have my house underground for the following reasons

1. Cheaper to cool and heat.

2. Privacy (no windows, which also means no f**king glare on my TV and computer monitors)

3. Security (no windows, no door, just an elevator inside a steel shed..... maybe an escape tunnel or two.)

4. Doomsday prepper ready. Wouldn't have to "bug out to the bunker" because I already live in it!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Both fall apart in such a way that they can be put back together, sort of like a crash in a lego game lol

Probably, you can print metal and ceramics now. Although it would be expensive to print something like carbon fiber.

I, like Linus, would still prefer to have my house underground for the following reasons

1. Cheaper to cool and heat.

2. Privacy (no windows, which also means no f**king glare on my TV and computer monitors)

3. Security (no windows, no door, just an elevator inside a steel shed..... maybe an escape tunnel or two.)

4. Doomsday prepper ready. Wouldn't have to "bug out to the bunker" because I already live in it!

sounds like you would like to live in coober pedy

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Their foundation is 175 square feet. It's two stories, so 350 square feet at most. So that's around $220 per square feet. According to the link in the comments of the article, (online.wsj.com I can't paste at the moment) the average cost to build a house ranges from $95 to $150 but varies heavily on materials. This house appears to use cheap materials compared to the average house, but even if it doesn't it is still way too expensive.