Which is better for gaming AMD or Nvidia

LinusTechTipsFanboy

I would be gaming on a single monitor if that matters for the different cards. Or are they mostly preference between the two. Also what would be the best card for anywhere around 200-250? Thanks in advance for help. Thanks for the responses and sorry I forgot the currency but it's USD

*grabs popcorn*

But on a serious note, 200-250 what? Pounds, Dollars, Euros? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

This needs to be updated, FYI.

Nvidia GTX

- Pros
  • PhysX - Only in select games, but looks damn good.
  • HairWorks - Again, only in select games that implement it, but looks damn good.
  • TXAA - Another exclusive effect, but looks damn good in the games that support it and are actually optimized for it (Splinter Cell: Blacklist runs it like shit).
  • GeForce Experience - Able to optimize visual settings for your games automatically based on your preferences and hardware. Also comes with GameStream and Shadowplay.
  • GameStream - If you own an Nvidia Shield device, you can stream your games to said mobile device and play your games away from your PC and even on another network via internet.
  • ShadowPlay - You can record your gameplay via hardware accelerated H.264 encoder which will already be compressed and not a gigantic file like what you would get with say, Fraps. While using ShadowPlay you can also stream to Twitch in a more efficient way.
  • EVGA - Offers a very great warranty on all of their GTX products and will work with you to make you happy if you have an issue.

- Cons

• GeForce Experience is still iffy for many users, giving issues ranging from not booting up, ShadowPlay not working properly and one that personally bothers me is not downloading and installing GPU drivers properly.
  • Poor price-to-performance compared to Radeon.
  • Nvidia sucks at marketing

AMD Radeon

- Pros

• Mantle - An alternate API to DirectX exclusive to Radeon at the moment. Gives performance boosts in games that support it over DirectX, but the boosts vary depending on your setup.
  • TressFX - Makes hair looks more realistic. The effect is no longer exclusive to Radeon cards, but it will run better on those video cards compared to the competition.
  • TrueAudio - A great alternative to 'surround sound' to theoretically give more precision and immersiveness to your environmental audio.
  • Price-To-Performance - Absolutely blows away Nvidia in the price-to-performance department. You get way more bang for your buck, as always with AMD.
  • Drivers - Reason I listed this as a pro: Radeon's drivers are getting way better, so ignore the people shouting that Radeon's drivers suck, because they're not as bad as they used to be. I see just as many people complain about Nvidia in the same department.
  • AMD Gaming Evolved - AMD's counter to GeForce Experience and does what the competition does, but you can also get rewards for simply playing your games. The rewards you get varies on the points you have.
  • Sapphire - Sapphire make some of the sexiest coolers and the quietest coolers for Radeon cards.

- Cons

• Many people complain of DoA (dead on arrival) and cards not functioning properly later down the road, more than the competition it would seem. This isn't 100% a fact, however. Take this with a grain of salt.
  • AMD's highest end 290x does not beat a 780ti in most areas, but only loses by a bit.
  • AMD absolutely sucks at marketing and naming conventions, and some decisions they make, make absolutely no sense. Could be said about both companies.

- Conclusion

Both vendors have excellent products. Like every single piece of tech on the market, it is all prone to DoA and malfunctions down the road. This is why you choose the appropriate aftermarket manufacturer, such as EVGA (GTX exclusive) or Sapphire (Radeon exclusive). Everyone on this forum can agree that both companies absolutely suck at marketing. Nvidia says their Titan cards are gaming cards, which isn't the whole story that they try to sell, AMD keeps rebranding things with only little improvements and so on. They both make stupid decisions but they do it for business reasons, even though they are still stupid. Did I mention they make stupid decisions?

tl;dr, pick your card and don't be a brand whore.

What currency dude?

Both as good as each other.

Depending on your local prices probably either

AMD:

R9 280 R9 280x

Nvidia:

Gtx 760 or gtx 770

what are your specs?

cheers

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

Uh oh...

But I would pick Nvidia just because I love their new Maxwell cards.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Unless going for a Maxwell card which is over your budget it's best to get an AMD card as they offer more value for money plus free games. Even an R9 290 performs on par with a 970 when both are OCed.

Unless going for a Maxwell card which is over your budget it's best to get an AMD card as they offer more value for money plus free games. Even an R9 290 performs on par with a 970 when both are OCed.

970's are cheaper though

I would be gaming on a single monitor if that matters for the different cards. Or are they mostly preference between the two. Also what would be the best card for anywhere around 200-250? Thanks in advance for help.

AMD and Nvidia are best at different pricepoints and it changes whenever something new is released. At 250 dollars max, you are looking at an R285 from AMD...I would suggest you pick the sapphire version. Or going to a 770 which will be 10-30 bucks more.

Neither of those cards are in his pricerange.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Depends on your budget and where you live.

But for me, its like Nvidia is leader, and amd is follower xD

CASE: Coolmaster CM Storm STRYKER....MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77: INTEL Z68 Chipset....CPU: INTEL CORE i5 3570K (3.4GHZ)..RAM: 8GB GSKILL KIT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ NQ, X.M.P....Graphics Cards: Crossfire 2 x 2GB AMD Radeon XFX HD 6970HDD: Disco SSD Samsung 2.5“ 840 250GBPSU: Corsair HX 750..OS:Windows 8.1 pro 64bit...Monitor: Benq XL 2720z (1920 x 1080)......Game Controller: Logitech G27... Buttkicker gamer2. + TrackIR5..+ Saitek Cyborg R.A.T 3

970's are cheaper though

Not outside of North America lol

In Australia, an equivalent 970 (same brand and card design) is around 60-70 dollars more than a 290.

IGPU imo. Or AMD Firepro. You just have to fly to India.........

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Wait for the GTX 960 next month before you buy anything soon. It will disrupt the market and lower prices more.

970 is great deal at MSRP of $330-350, the price/performance is in line with $150-200 sweet spot cards like the AMD r9 270. Wait another month for more 970s to get in stock and for the 960 to stir things up.

Only in America

Not outside of North America lol

In Australia, an equivalent 970 (same brand and card design) is around 60-70 dollars more than a 290.

Woooooooooooooow. That's super dumb