AOC U3477PQU Review [Big pictures]

Volbet

Wow! Wanted to start by saying you did a great job on the review, very detailed and informative.

I had a question though about the functionality with this display. Do you know or have heard of any issues with Mac OS? I have read previously that the AOC 29" Q2963PM had problems with Mac. Just wanted to know before I decided on picking one up for myself!

Thanks a lot!

First of all, welcome to the forum, and sorry about the late reply.

Unfortunatly, I have sold my Hackintosh, so I have't tried using Mac OS on the screen.

However, I do have a old Macbook Pro somewhere, and when I get home from school I can check if there are any issues. What sort of issues should I be looking for?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

So I mailed a shop in Belgium to ask when they would have it in stock and they mailed back "07/11/2014." (Thats 11/07/2014 in USA date.) for a price of 880 euro. What I think is a LOT since the LG 34UM95 is 850euro...

Then a shop in france will have it for 649,95euro

noticed on pc case gear they have ETA: 12/11/14

sorta disappointed with the lateness

I still can't find it in the UK or in the US/Canada

I really don't know what's going on

So I mailed a shop in Belgium to ask when they would have it in stock and they mailed back "07/11/2014." (Thats 11/07/2014 in USA date.) for a price of 880 euro. What I think is a LOT since the LG 34UM95 is 850euro...

Then a shop in france will have it for 649,95euro

It seems like a free for all by now.

The prices and delivery dates here in Denmark are all over the place.

Of course I don't know what the prices in Belgium are normally like. 

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00171255.html

650 in France. 2 in stock. Wanted to buy one but they only ship to belgium if you order in their Belgium store. But the monitor doesn't exist in their database... Fucking great! Was just about to order it! :'(

So got word back from that shop. Warning crappy English. They probably google translated it.

Dear Sir SpittingLlama,

Thank you for having got in touch with our services.
You are interested in the product AOC 34 " U3477PQU.

The manufacturer AOC restricts unfortunately the sale of the goods on-line and limit its sale in France.

I thus regret I cannot propose you its sale towards Belgium.

However I can propose you the sending towards a relay in France if the latter was situated close relation from your home.

Regretting not being able to propose you the sending of this product AOC towards Belgium and it in a independent way of our will, I remain at your disposal.

Why AOC restricts this is beyond my understanding.

Unfortunatly, I have sold my Hackintosh, so I have't tried using Mac OS on the screen.

However, I do have a old Macbook Pro somewhere, and when I get home from school I can check if there are any issues. What sort of issues should I be looking for?

Your reply was great timing! I am just glad I got one! I have a Hackintosh and the issues I have heard on Mac OS is 1

Your timing was great, I am just glad you replied! Thanks! I own a Hackintosh and the issues I have heard of from not this monitor but was from the older ultra-wide display AOC had. 1st off, I read that the colors were odd and incorrect. It was tested next to a Windows running the same monitor side by side and you can see a difference. I found a fix by patching it in Terminal, but honestly I don't want to go through something as silly as that since the monitor should work universally. Secondly, there are issues with the screen even turning itself on. Some said that it doesn't even recognize it as an external display. Or it doesn't support the full resolution of 2560 x 1080 ( which is the native for the Q2963PM ) I think that is about it, if you experience anything at all, please let me know. 

Thanks! 

Your timing was great, I am just glad you replied! Thanks! I own a Hackintosh and the issues I have heard of from not this monitor but was from the older ultra-wide display AOC had. 1st off, I read that the colors were odd and incorrect. It was tested next to a Windows running the same monitor side by side and you can see a difference. I found a fix by patching it in Terminal, but honestly I don't want to go through something as silly as that since the monitor should work universally. Secondly, there are issues with the screen even turning itself on. Some said that it doesn't even recognize it as an external display. Or it doesn't support the full resolution of 2560 x 1080 ( which is the native for the Q2963PM ) I think that is about it, if you experience anything at all, please let me know. 

Thanks! 

I have now looked for those issues, and I couldn't find any of them. Unfortunatly I don't really have two versions of the monitor to compare Windows and Mac OS side-by-side, but the colours seemed just fine.

The monitor didn't turn on by it self, and the was recognized as an external display with the correct resolution. The monitor even woke up with the computer.

The only problem was, that it only ran at 30Hz, but that is probably due to the Macbook being old, and not supporting Displayport 1.2.

I have taken a couple of picture, but they were taken on my phone. My wife have burrowed the DSLR for the day.

OrgPCwL.jpg

n5DHHyr.jpg

My methodology was just to boot up the computer, browse the web and update the computer to Mac OS Yosemite.

Again, I'm sorry about the late replay. It shouldn't take 12 hours for me to reply, but I had something important come up. 

If there is anything else you would like me to do, feel free to tell me.

I have now looked for those issues, and I couldn't find any of them. Unfortunatly I don't really have two versions of the monitor to compare Windows and Mac OS side-by-side, but the colours seemed just fine.

The monitor didn't turn on by it self, and the was recognized as an external display with the correct resolution. The monitor even woke up with the computer.

The only problem was, that it only ran at 30Hz, but that is probably due to the Macbook being old, and not supporting Displayport 1.2.

I have taken a couple of picture, but they were taken on my phone. My wife have burrowed the DSLR for the day.

OrgPCwL.jpg

n5DHHyr.jpg

My methodology was just to boot up the computer, browse the web and update the computer to Mac OS Yosemite.

Again, I'm sorry about the late replay. It shouldn't take 12 hours for me to reply, but I had something important come up. 

If there is anything else you would like me to do, feel free to tell me.

Wow man, your great! I didn't even check to see my notifications until now! It's amazing that your responding to all of us and with such detail! Thank you! 

If someone was looking to purchase a high end monitor with a high resolution, that is coming from using two 1080p 22 inch monitors, would this be the best suggestion? I do a lot of web browsing and video editing, the only thing I am concerned of is not having two physical monitors to work with. There is just something to do with having the two next to each other that makes it so effective. And I just don't want to lose that 44 inch ( in total ) real estate. Any pros or cons that you think should be said? 

Thanks so much again! 

Wow man, your great! I didn't even check to see my notifications until now! It's amazing that your responding to all of us and with such detail! Thank you! 

If someone was looking to purchase a high end monitor with a high resolution, that is coming from using two 1080p 22 inch monitors, would this be the best suggestion? I do a lot of web browsing and video editing, the only thing I am concerned of is not having two physical monitors to work with. There is just something to do with having the two next to each other that makes it so effective. And I just don't want to lose that 44 inch ( in total ) real estate. Any pros or cons that you think should be said? 

Thanks so much again! 

I don't do a lot of video editing, so I don't know if this is the right monitor for that. It is an IPS panel, so the colours shouldn't be an issue, but there factory calibrated monitors that might do better. 

I do like the monitor for web browsing. Due to the high resolution, I can just put my web browser on one side of the monitor, and have other windows open in the other half (Steam, folders, Foobar, Skype etc).

Really this goes for all multitasking. It is really nice to be able to fit more windows on a single monitor. This is both due to the high resolution (compared to the monitors it replaced) and the aspect ratio.

For me, this was the right monitor. It helps with multitasking, it was cheaper than the LG alternative and all the affordable 4K monitors are all TN panels, which was a dealbreaker to me.

I know how you fell about the second monitor. It is really nice to have a second monitor, just so you can fullscreen something, and still work on another screen.

I also tend to clutter my taskbar with open programs, so having two of those really help.

This is why I still use two monitors. On the side I have a 27" 1080P Acer monitor. While it isn't a IPS monitor, it still does rather well with the colours and the contrast. 

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to still use one (or possibly both) of your 22" monitors. Execpt for limited desk space.

If I were you, I would put them in portrait mode. One on either side

post-5244-0-92647800-1414341903_thumb.pn

Source for the comparison: http://www.displaywars.com/

I don't do a lot of video editing, so I don't know if this is the right monitor for that. It is an IPS panel, so the colours shouldn't be an issue, but there factory calibrated monitors that might do better. 

I do like the monitor for web browsing. Due to the righ resolution, I can just put my web browser on one side of the monitor, and have other windows open in the other half (Steam, folders, Foobar, Skype etc).

Really this goes for all multitasking. It is really nice to be able to fit more windows on a single monitor. This is both due to the high resolution (compared to the monitors it replaced) and the aspect ratio.

For me, this was the right monitor. It helps with multitasking, it was cheaper than the LG alternative and all the affordable 4K monitors are all TN panels, which was a dealbreaker to me.

I know how you fell about the second monitor. It is really nice to have a second monitor, just so you can fullscreen something, and still work on another screen.

I also tend to clutter my taskbar with open programs, so having two of those really help.

This is why I still use two monitors. On the side I have a 27" 1080P Acer monitor. While it isn't a IPS monitor, it still does rather well with the colours and the contrast. 

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to still use one (or possibly both) of your 22" monitors. Execpt for limited desk space.

If I were you, I would put them in portrait mode. One on either side

attachicon.gifdfgb.png

Source for the comparison: http://www.displaywars.com/

Thanks for the quick response! I appreciate your great ideas and knowledge, I like what you said about the two monitors vertically on either side. Never considered that! The reason I asked if having one monitor is better was because I may sell these two to be able to afford this one, but it now it seems like I will just be saving my money up until they are released here in the United States! Hahaha, hopefully I will have enough before they are released. 

Your help has been outstanding! Thank you so much! I'll be sure to update you if I end up purchasing one! 

Time to add some stuff here.

On of the news site I follow (Dutch) http://be.hardware.info recently added a article about the AOC u3477Pqu.
http://be.hardware.info/reviews/5711/aoc-u3477pqu-review-stijlvol-slagschip

Here are some charts

-Brightness MAX: 
2mo2hvq.png

-Brightness MIN:
25stuzc.png

->Brightness is better than the LG. Some people said that it was not bright enough. But because of the brightness the monitor does use more power.

-Contrast:
2nw2yo2.png

-> good contrast

-ColorTemp:
juvh2s.png

-> 1200 more than 6500, so calibration would be a good idea.

-Gamma, difference from ideal 2.2:
2ynf4uf.png

-> needs to be calibrated

-Colour Realness:
2lu5g1z.png

-Medium Delta E colours:
2mgrx9u.png

-Reaction time 0-100-0:
qyiqmd.png

-Reaction time OD MAX 0-100-0:
keygxc.png

-Reaction time 20-80-20:
alrbm1.png

-Reaction time OD MAX 20-80-20:
2w5kt4i.png

-> Overall the AOC is slower than the LG. Don't know if I would see the difference.

A pity they don't talk about possible backlight bleeding.

HM, this is seriously the monitor I think I'm going to get around Christmas.

Time to add some stuff here.

On of the news site I follow (Dutch) http://be.hardware.info recently added a article about the AOC u3477Pqu.

http://be.hardware.info/reviews/5711/aoc-u3477pqu-review-stijlvol-slagschip

Here are some charts

-Brightness MAX: 

2mo2hvq.png

-Brightness MIN:

25stuzc.png

->Brightness is better than the LG. Some people said that it was not bright enough. But because of the brightness the monitor does use more power.

-Contrast:

2nw2yo2.png

-> good contrast

-ColorTemp:

juvh2s.png

-> 1200 more than 6500, so calibration would be a good idea.

-Gamma, difference from ideal 2.2:

2ynf4uf.png

-> needs to be calibrated

-Colour Realness:

2lu5g1z.png

-Medium Delta E colours:

2mgrx9u.png

-Reaction time 0-100-0:

qyiqmd.png

-Reaction time OD MAX 0-100-0:

keygxc.png

-Reaction time 20-80-20:

alrbm1.png

-Reaction time OD MAX 20-80-20:

2w5kt4i.png

-> Overall the AOC is slower than the LG. Don't know if I would see the difference.

A pity they don't talk about possible backlight bleeding.

Thanks for adding the charts. I have made a link to your post in the OP, so other people can check them out aswell.

@Volbet, Thanks you so much for this amazing review! I'm also looking for a monitor to upgrade from my 27" 1080p TN, this looks like the perfect choice. Although the Asus PB287Q 4K monitor is still an option. I can't seem to decide between these two now... I'd really appreciate it if you could help me decide. :) Thanks.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

@Volbet, Thanks you so much for this amazing review! I'm also looking for a monitor to upgrade from my 27" 1080p TN, this looks like the perfect choice. Although the Asus PB287Q 4K monitor is still an option. I can't seem to decide between these two now... I'd really appreciate it if you could help me decide. :) Thanks.

I'm glad you liked the review. it really means a lot.

Unfortuntaly, I'm probably not the right one to ask, since I have only ever seen a PB287Q and never played around with one. 

But I can tell you the reasons, why I didn't go with a 4K monitor. 

• I really wanted to get away from TN panels, which is what is in those ´cheap´ 4K monitors, including the PB287Q (Granted, it's a good TN panel)
  • The 4K scaling in Windows 8 is horrible, and with my bad eyesight it's really important to have good scaling. Hopefully Windows 10 will improve this.

Atleast these are my reasons, but I can't say that they should sway you away from the PB287Q.

And sorry about the late repky.

I don't know if someone told you about this as I did not read through all comments on the thread but there is a program called "flawlesswidescreen". There is a lovely person who created a nice little app that adds support for all the games that you could think of that need it. It's a fantastic program as it also lets you adjust fov in games you typically can't sometimes through magic voodoo trickery. I had fullscreen support at ultrawide resoltuions for evil within 2 days after the game was released. Usually the plugins come out the day of if needed.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I don't know if someone told you about this as I did not read through all comments on the thread but there is a program called "flawlesswidescreen". There is a lovely person who created a nice little app that adds support for all the games that you could think of that need it. It's a fantastic program as it also lets you adjust fov in games you typically can't sometimes through magic voodoo trickery. I had fullscreen support at ultrawide resoltuions for evil within 2 days after the game was released. Usually the plugins come out the day of if needed.

No one has mentioned it before, thank you. It sounds very intersting, and I'll make sure to try it out.

Apperantly the website is currently down, so I won't be able to do it right now: http://www.reddit.com/r/shadowofmordor/comments/2lfk7g/anyone_have_a_mirror_for_flawless_widescreen/

But if it lets you set the FOV, that would be help so much with my motion sickness.

No one has mentioned it before, thank you. It sounds very intersting, and I'll make sure to try it out.

Apperantly the website is currently down, so I won't be able to do it right now: http://www.reddit.com/r/shadowofmordor/comments/2lfk7g/anyone_have_a_mirror_for_flawless_widescreen/

But if it lets you set the FOV, that would be help so much with my motion sickness.

They don't have an fov slider for every game but it's nice to see it when it is there. I had one for watch dogs, mirrors edge and the evil within and even dead rising 3. Through flawless widescreen, here is a screen grab. It sucks that it's down right now. Hopefully the site will be back up at some point. The install is useless without the plugins on the server even if you do manage to get the install file. 

post-39055-0-21423300-1415452073.png

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

• 2 weeks later...

Just quoted to ask a question.

So you have had tho monitor for a while now. So I hope you played some games with it. How is the response time?

Just quoted to ask a question.

So you have had tho monitor for a while now. So I hope you played some games with it. How is the response time?

Unfortunatly I have had a lot of school work, regular work and family stuff, so gaming hasn't been my top priority.

But I have played some games. I have noticed very little difference in CoD: Black Ops II, Counter Strike: Source and other online shooters. This is compared to my old TN 120Hz monitor.

The little difference I have experienced, I attribute to the refresh rate and not to the response time. 

I do look forward to when I can get together with some friends and play some Unreal Tournament. That's when the monitor will show itself. 

I'm sorry, that I don't really have a scientific way of doing this. All I have is my subjective experience (Which I guess is what you asked for, but still). 

Thanks for the reply.

It's good to hear that you've only seen minor differances coming from a TN 120Hz monitor. I'm still using old Acer monitors (at least 5 years old) so I guess I won't see any bad things in regard of response time.

Only problem is that I still have no idea when AOC will be selling these. A part of me is screaming to just get the LG one (especially now that Dragon age: Inq and Far Cray 4 are nearly out), another part is telling me to wait until it comes out and then another part is thinking of just waiting until a Freesync / G-Sync 21:9 comes out.

I'm also holding out on playing Metro: Redux and Evil within because I want to see it in 21:9. Atm I'm happy GTA 5 is only releasing next year. Else I would get the LG one today.

HL2 supports that resolution? Omg

It's not officially supported, but all Source games can have a custome resolution forced with a consol command.

post-5244-0-54569600-1416431595.png

It's really awesome that the Source Engine is that flexible.

Thanks for the reply.

It's good to hear that you've only seen minor differances coming from a TN 120Hz monitor. I'm still using old Acer monitors (at least 5 years old) so I guess I won't see any bad things in regard of response time.

Only problem is that I still have no idea when AOC will be selling these. A part of me is screaming to just get the LG one (especially now that Dragon age: Inq and Far Cray 4 are nearly out), another part is telling me to wait until it comes out and then another part is thinking of just waiting until a Freesync / G-Sync 21:9 comes out.

I'm also holding out on playing Metro: Redux and Evil within because I want to see it in 21:9. Atm I'm happy GTA 5 is only releasing next year. Else I would get the LG one today.

AOC really seem to have shoot themself in the foot, with the slow rollout of these monitors.

First of all thanks a ton for the review Volbet was very helpful to get a real world idea of how this monitor preforms.

I personally to the moment have 24inch TN panel, and ever since getting it have always been disappointed by the colors in it when compared to a isp. Really looking forward to getting a ultra wide panel, and on that note would really like AOC to clarify when this will roll out in NA. With Dragon Age of the now really wish I could get this as soon as possible!

Last I herd AOC Canada dated it on the 21st, though since have been quiet.. Also the price rumors seem to be all over the place. Still hoping for the best!