Ultrawide 34" or 'small' 120hz/Gsync monitor?

I've been thinking about something.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I've been led to believe that AMDs "Free sync" is the same as Gsync only it doesn't require any special hardware.

Would it be possible to run Freesync on the LG 34"? If it does, that'd only eliminate tearing and not provide the 'smoother' experience, no?

As long as your monitor is DP1.2a or newer and your GPU is Hawaii or newer then you are good to go otherwise you are SOL (aka more people then not ;)).

Edit: Actually it sounds like even on DP1.3 adaptive-sync will be an option... DP1.3a?

• 3 weeks later...

Very late, but after reading all of the responses in this thread again I've decided to go with the a 120hz or Gsync monitor, so I just want to say thanks to everyone who chipped in! 

So thank you. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello! I've been watching LinusTechTips videos for a while but only just now decided to make this account and I've got a question to ask, which I hope you guys can help me with! And sorry, I am not a concisive guy, please bear with me because I'd really like an answer!

So, I've been in a good position to save up quite a lot of money and I'm going to shell out quite a lot of money for a great (and completely overkill) PC.

(Side question if that's ok? SKIP THIS PARENTHESIS IF YOU JUST WANT TO ANSWER THE MONITOR QUESTION: Overkill = 3000mhz DDR4 RAM, 2x GTX980, i7-5960X 8x3.00GHz, ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme etc. -- To be quite honest I am not massively tech savvy, I know basically what different parts do and what's "good" and what "sucks" etc. I also know enough to say that 3000mhz RAM is completely overkill, at least for gaming etc. anyway, I still want to buy this overkill thing because I have this idea in my head that the PC will be "good" for a longer time, it'll last me longer. Is t his true? A buddy of mine said to me that regardless of how good the stuff you buy is, you'll most likely end up needing to upgrade after 4 years because of physical wear on the things?? Is that true? If it is, such an overkill PC would be completely useless to buy, no?)

Anyway, I saw Linus' review of the LG 34UC97 34" and I was blown away by it and with the new PC I'm looking to get a new monitor. When I saw that I thought to myself that I simply *had* to have it because I absolutely love have tons of space, I love being able to split windows and on my dual-monitor set-up (one is 24" the other I forget, it's smaller) I often sit with 4 windows, it's almost become a bad habit, so yeah, that look absolutely amazing to me.

But I've read a lot about 120hz and Gsync as well. My current is 60 so I've never "experienced" 120hz and effectively don't know what I'm missing out on.

Basically my question is would you go for a smaller (biggest 120hz/Gsync I've seen is 27") monitor with 120hz or Gsync or that massive "Ultrawide" LG monitor? I spend an INSANE amount of time on my PC (seriously) - I have hundreds on top of hundreds of games, I have once had at least a 100 tabs on firefox and I watch as many movies on my PC as I play video games. --- So yeah, how big of a deal *is* 120hz?? Is it just that it reduces screen tearing and that's it?? Or does it feel waaaay smoother the same way 60+ fps feels compared to say, 30?? Because the same way I spend and insane amount of time on my PC and multi-task a lot of stuff, I'm also extremely "FPS-sensitive" and I just hate running lower than 60 FPS... I *can*, seeing as I also have all major consoles but I hate it still. ------ What would you choose?

Again, sorry for not being so consise, I hope you guys can help me, Linus is always talking about how helpful people are here (he's biased I suppose, but I trust him, haha)

People forget how higher refresh rate 120/144hz make the whole windows experience better, not just in game, everything is smoother . Drag a windows round on a 60hz monitor then do it on a 120/144hz monitor.

If you go with a 4k monitor your not going to achieve higher constant frame rates so you can trade off the higher refresh rates some what but a G-Sync 60hz 4k monitor would be a plus

as if will smooth out some of the demands of pushing all those pixels if you are in its target range. SLI wont get you out of the shit in all games and I don't know if micro stutter is a thing of the past yet ?

That was posted in 2014, he made his decision in October of last year. ;)

• 1 month later...

hello guys i was one of the chosen in the ultrawide carboard setup
look up at my video in Eduardo Castillo
Please Vote for me if you like in the ultrawide event
http://www.ultrawide...vent.html#:none remember eduardo castillo    :D, that would be such a huge help
i also could be like the represent for vote for turnip in this linus tech tips contest right? hahaha   :P 
Anyways guys i'm looking foward for the ticket to vancouver because if i win i imagine that i would make me able to meet the linustech crew and also the new company cause its in canada, i know i'm new at the forum but i've been following linus tech tips for a while i think like 4 years now and i have seeing the transformation with the old office and the new one so going to that would be really like a dream, to finally meet the crew and the office (finally like a real company! haha) and sorry for my bad english also that travel will be a huge improvement in my english skills too   :lol: 
and if you leave a comment on our channel lg wil randomly select comments and those will be given an ultrawidefestival t-shirts or hoddies 
so anyways really really thank you if you vote for me   ;)   :D