Why are cpus and gpus different prices?

Hey guys

This may seem like a really stupid question, but I was wondering if someone could help alleviate my confusion. So long story short, my managerial economics teacher was giving a example of how Intel was able to give different groups of people different things that they want. Saying that a regular person just needs an I3 while and an architect would need an i7. Than he said that intel purposely weakens the cpu too an i3 instead of an i7. So basically what I'm asking is why is an i7 more expensive than an i3?(Besides RAD) He was comparing this too what comcast and the other internet companies would do if they killed net neutrality. Anyone wana provide some insight?

Because Intel likes to make money?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Hey guys

This may seem like a really stupid question, but I was wondering if someone could help alleviate my confusion. So long story short, my managerial economics teacher was giving a example of how Intel was able to give different groups of people different things that they want. Saying that a regular person just needs an I3 while and an architect would need an i7. Than he said that intel purposely weakens the cpu too an i3 instead of an i7. So basically what I'm asking is why is an i7 more expensive than an i3?(Besides RAD) He was comparing this too what comcast and the other internet companies would do if they killed net neutrality. Anyone wana provide some insight?

Because an i7 isn't the same chip as an i3. You need a better piece of silicon to make an i7 chip. Basically, a perfect chip becomes a high end i7. If the chip isn't perfect -- If hyperthreading doesn't work as it should then it becomes an i5...say one of the cores isn't up to snuff, then it becomes and i3. 

On the other hand, there are graphics, which are the exact same chip (GTX 780Ti vs. GTX 780), in which case they purposely dumb down the 780Tis in order to sell two different cards thereby gaining money from each market (the $500 market and the $700 market -- original stabilized pricing). Each tier of Intel CPUs also work on the same idea...and i5 4670k is the same chip as an i5 4450, its just the 4670k is a better quality chip. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Because i3 has a 3 in it and i7 has a seven and 7 is moar big den da 3

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

More performance costs more money, that simple...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

Hey guys

Intel produce CPU's...some of them are perfectly functionnal and some of them have parts of their cores that won't work as they should...they sell the perfect chip as core i7 quad core with hyperthteading...sometimes the hyperthreading module is defecive but all 4 cores are active so they sell those as core i5 and sometimes they have a core that is not active they sell those as i3 IF hyperthreading module is working and if not they sell them as pentium or celeron dual core no hyperthreading...hope this help.

AMD is doing the same with the FX 8 core 6 core or 4 core...when modules are inactive they go to a lower stack in the chain.

Hope this help.

EDIT: it can also go the other way with binning, where the best chips are cherry picked to be a better out of the box product aimed for enthousiasts like the extreme edition (x) intel CPU's or the AMD FX-9590 or FX-9370 for example who are cherry picked factory overclocked processors.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'm pretty sure that there's a binning process where they find what CPU specs each piece of silicon could actually reach. So they label one that can't handle the lowest end i5 spec as the highest end i3 that it can... I guess? Or something like that. I'm no engineer.

there is more on an i7 meaning higher production cost... idk...

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

Why are monitors and televisions different prices?

I think a better example would be RAM.

all DDR3 memory is made the same way, but they sort the chips to find RAM that happens to be more stable and make them 2133mhz, take the next batch and make them 1866mhz, then take some and make them 1600mhz

the bottom of the barrel is then used to make 1333mhz ram and lower.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I think a better example would be RAM.

all DDR3 memory is made the same way, but they sort the chips to find RAM that happens to be more stable and make them 2133mhz, take the next batch and make them 1866mhz, then take some and make them 1600mhz

the bottom of the barrel is then used to make 1333mhz ram and lower.

this is the binning process.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well an i7 and an i3 are not the same die. More cores, hyperthreading, more cache and many other aspects make an i7 more expensive than an i3. With GPUs its a little different, for example, an R9 290 is nothing more than an R9 290X with a few shader units disabled. So not only are the R9 290 and the R9 290X the same chip, its actually more expensive for AMD to produce the R9 290 chip, because several shader units have to be seperated from the rest of the core by a laser cut. Nevertheless, the R9 290X is the more expensive card, the reason for that being that people who need more performance are usually willing to pay more money for more performance. Consequently Intel, AMD and Nvidia demand higher prices for higher performance.