Taiwan 6.5 Magnitude Earthquake. Very Exciting...

LinusTech

No natural disasters where I live :)

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I live in New Zealand, we had a magnitude 7.1 in September 2010 and a 6.3 in February 2011.

yozare aucklander here. were you in the red zone? also have you been paid out by your insurance yet? also any tips where to get cheap parts in nz? i know of pricespy dot co dot nz

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

canberra bushfires and alot of floods.

no big deal really

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Minor earthquake near Canberra last year (3.7). More like a little tremble. But it did lead to this fantastic image: Canberra+Earthquake.JPG

Hey that was for the Melbourne one!

Pretty cool Linus. I can imagine that when you never felt it before it must have been weird, especially so high up :D! Have fun in Taiwan!! :D :D

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

Hey that was for the Melbourne one!

LOL it was all over my Facebook for the one in Canberra. I still find it hilarious.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

very tiny earthquake, it shook my chair for 1.5 seconds or so

Well a lot of minor stuff actually. 

There was a tornado down the street which lifted the roof's of a few houses when I was 1 or 2. There was Hurricane Irene and Hurricane Sandy. There was an earthquake up in Canada that I felt down in Utica, NY and then the one right outside of Washington D.C. that I felt in and could see (the blinds were swaying back and forth) in Princeton. And that's pretty much it...

Having been born and lived in Philippines, I've experience countless typhoons, flooding, and at one time an earthquake.

Now here in Canada, it's the blizzards one after another, particularly this past winter.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Only had one earthquake experience.  For a split second I thought someone was pulling a prank on me.  Not used to them so thought my home was collapsing for some reason.  Then finally it clicked that it was an earthquake.  That moment of confusion was pretty surreal.  Thankfully I was at home.  Couldn't imagine experiencing something like that overseas in a country I'm not used to.

i live in the netherland, nothing happends here, it only rains and rains and rains.....

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

8. something in '77, destroyed half of my capital, also a few around here, and some bad-ass floods in other parts of the country.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

We currently have a high risk of flooding here in Prague. It's not exactly pleasing.

I was in a level 3.5 hurricane once. I live next to a park and huge trees (some around 150 feet tall) lying on the ground.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

I live in Belgium, most boring country of them all --' nothing has ever happened around here..

damn global warming causing Earthquakes!post-22981-0-06410900-1370215289.jpg

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Our entire city is flooded right now.

Not so fun here in Austria.

we had a small earthquake in the uk several years back i remember waking up in the middle of the night with everything shaking, it stopped quickly and i went back to sleep it was only like 3 or something like that. 

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Missed the last couple of live shows because of tornadoes, I was underground in a shelter. Ah the life of Oklahoma.

Here is a picture I took of the last one.

931413_10201188659417495_170168575_n.jpg

Had a couple earthquakes here and there.. Don't think any of them was over 6 richter though.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

I'm 23 years old and never experienced a disaster thankfully! 

Norway is pretty boring when it comes to these things. The worst you could expect to see in your life time here is a snow avalanche or two.

However, contrary to historical events, there was a real hurricane in 1996 where I lived, it was amazing, I went outside and watched the huge waves and the scary thing about it was that it was in the middle of the winter, and prior to the hurricane it had been -12 degrees celsius (below freezing for you fahrenheit limited individuals) but once the storm started it was suddenly room temperature outside. Like 25 degrees. It went from full on winter with snow and ice and shit to summer in maybe 45 seconds.

Our entire city is flooded right now.
Not so fun here in Austria.

That sucks big time, hope it's over soon for you.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I was woken to what the United States Geological Survey estimate a 9.1 Mw Earthquake.

A little worse for wear as the evening before had been spent having a few drinks with my friend whilst celebrating on a remote beach that we had a local take us too in his boat and latterly on a cruise around the islands.

During the day I spoke to my parents as it was Christmas Day, wished them a Happy Christmas as they were at home in Wales whilst I was on a months vacation in Thailand.

We had no idea as to what we had just felt as only a few days previous whilst in Chiang Mai a local guide announced Thailand don't really experience Earthquakes as they're not located on a major fault line.  Little did he know only a few days later one of my most violent earthquakes would wake us in our bed, shaking for two to three minutes thereafter.

The plan for the day was to hire a Moped from the hotel to travel around Phuket and visit Phuket Town as well as other coves and inlets around the coast.  The hotel had unfortunately hired its last bike out so off down to the sea front we went in search of a moped to hire.  The day before we had seen some for hire next to the beach a few hundred yards from our hotel.

They were due to setup for the day so we hung around on the beach waiting for them to open.  Finally opened and whilst handing over money we noticed the water at the beach disappeared out to a far distance, no one had any idea as to why as this had never happened before.

A few minutes later I handed my passport over to the rep for ID purposes and were just getting on to the bike for a demonstration when the Tsunami hit us, taking across to the other side of the road, trapping my friends leg under the bike.  We never did see my passport again nor the people, my prayers are with them and their families.

The force of that water on ones back is no match for sheer determination, eventually the bike was taken away by the force of water, freeing her and the next wave took us into what was once a restaurant.  There we clambered to wooden uprights and anything that may have floated as the water by this time was deeper than us.

Whilst clambering to wooden struts my friend disappeared from view, my heart was racing for what seemed to be eternity when I saw her on a wooden platform, she still remembers the relief on my face to this day.

I'm not sure about timings but half an hour later the water had somewhat receded but was still about waist high.  We made a decision to get back to our hotel (a few hundred yards down the main beach road) which took a while and on the way we heard someone shouting for her husband (of a few days), god only knows what we were stepping on as one could not see through the muddy water.

Our hotel room was on the second storey so our belongings were intact, we had to search for our security box in reception as our airline tickets etc. were in it, after much searching (they were all floating in water) it was found and managed to salvage our tickets although I'm sure we could have got new ones.

Numerous calls for additional Tsunami's ensured we had to evacuate the hotel so we all walked up to higher ground with all of our belongings.

By this time it was around 2pm local time so managed to coax the pub owner into letting us use the landline to phone home.  If it weren't for the number of people walking past with backpacks this part of Patong didn't seem to be any different to a normal day.  My friend called her parents and I called mine which was kind of funny.  About 7am on Boxing Day morning in Wales I wake my Dad up and said, "It's okay, we're both find." To which my Dad replied, "Call us later, its early and I've got a bad head from last night!".  Only an hour or so later he turned the TV on and realised how important that telephone call had been.

We stayed in the pub for a few hours and made friends with a bunch of Australian guys who couldn't believe what had happened only a mile or so away.  They took us in and made us feel welcome in the house they had rented in the hills for Christmas, something they did every year.  They couldn't have been nicer and to this day I am so grateful to them.  They ran us down to Phuket Town the next day to register at the make-shift UK Embassy and I registered a lost passport with the Police.  My friend was treated for a fractured finger which was the only injury any of us had except a multitude of cuts and bruises.

We all took a trip down to the beach that day also and there were boats in the road, cars upside down, the restaurant which we were in was completely demolished (not sure how long after we had vacated it).  The worst was whilst at the make shift Embassy it brought it home how incredibly lucky we both were as there was a British man there who lost his wife and children in Koh Phi Phi in those few dreadful minutes, again my most sincere prayers and thoughts are with him.

Over the next day or two we were in two minds whether to cut the trip short or carry on to Koh Samui on the other side of Thailand where we had reservations (as well as airline travel) before making a trip back to Bangkok (instead of Koh Phi PHi which was devastated) so that I could get a new passport before travelling to our last destination at Hau Hin prior to a couple of days back in Bangkok.  This we did and had a marvellous time.

I experienced a few unsettled nights in the months that followed but this soon passed.  Now and again I do get a flash back but nothing too bad and these are becoming few and far between.  I haven't seen the film based on the 2004 Tsunami and nor do I really want too.  My wife (no not the lady who I was with in Thailand) would like to see it but won't force the issue for understandable reasons.