Which one is better? Nvidia ASUS 680 or EVGA 680

MarineTuck

many factors come into play choosing a video card. depends on your resolution, if you game on a 1080p monitor the 2gb card will do fine, if you do surround 3x 1080p monitors or higher res, the evga 4gb is the card for you (suggest atleast sli for 4gb card cuz 1 gpu can't push enough pixels to fully utilize the 4gbs of vram (maybe minecraft)), also if you are a single video card user the asus is triple slot, so it uses a lot of real estate in your mobo, so you might not be able to sli with that card. you can't really say which card is better, each card has its purpose.

Personally, you'll have more luck buying a good 670 for slightly cheaper then overclocking it. You can push - especially the MSI 670 PE quite hard and get it to perform as well as a 680 and sometimes beyond.

As mentioned above, it depends - what are you aiming for? 1080 x 1, 1080 x 3, 1200 or 1600 x 1?

Personally' date=' you'll have more luck buying a good 670 for slightly cheaper then overclocking it. You can push - especially the MSI 670 PE quite hard and get it to perform as well as a 680 and sometimes beyond. As mentioned above, it depends - what are you aiming for? 1080 x 1, 1080 x 3, 1200 or 1600 x 1? [/quote']

1080P x 1

Personally' date=' you'll have more luck buying a good 670 for slightly cheaper then overclocking it. You can push - especially the MSI 670 PE quite hard and get it to perform as well as a 680 and sometimes beyond. As mentioned above, it depends - what are you aiming for? 1080 x 1, 1080 x 3, 1200 or 1600 x 1? [/quote']

since you can't over volt the msi PE anymore (no longer binned), unless you get a golden chip, it will not perform better than a 680. same dealio with the early 660ti pe, you could oc that better than a 670 for "slightly cheaper". the 680 will always perform better than a 670.

Personally' date=' you'll have more luck buying a good 670 for slightly cheaper then overclocking it. You can push - especially the MSI 670 PE quite hard and get it to perform as well as a 680 and sometimes beyond. As mentioned above, it depends - what are you aiming for? 1080 x 1, 1080 x 3, 1200 or 1600 x 1? [/quote'] since you can't over volt the msi PE anymore (no longer binned), unless you get a golden chip, it will not perform better than a 680. same dealio with the early 660ti pe, you could oc that better than a 670 for "slightly cheaper". the 680 will always perform better than a 670.

Comes with triple over voltage by default according to MSI's website. I'll be able to tell you soon when mine arrive too..

1080P x 1

A good 670 then will suit you fine :)

alright ill just stick to the 680 then... my buddy doesn't want to have to upgrade anytime soon lol

Im running a 690 but he doesn't have the cash for it lol ;)

Personally' date=' you'll have more luck buying a good 670 for slightly cheaper then overclocking it. You can push - especially the MSI 670 PE quite hard and get it to perform as well as a 680 and sometimes beyond. As mentioned above, it depends - what are you aiming for? 1080 x 1, 1080 x 3, 1200 or 1600 x 1? [/quote'] since you can't over volt the msi PE anymore (no longer binned), unless you get a golden chip, it will not perform better than a 680. same dealio with the early 660ti pe, you could oc that better than a 670 for "slightly cheaper". the 680 will always perform better than a 670.
Comes with triple over voltage by default according to MSI's website. I'll be able to tell you soon when mine arrive too..

it sucks how nvidia slapped msi wrists and told evga to take of evbot port on their 680 classifed to stop over volting, a link about msi pe cards and overvolting

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html

MSI got back to us with a very enlightening statement. Here’s an excerpt:

We are currently not aware of any other vendor providing this same level of performance and we’ve worked with NVIDIA to ensure that new production models will limit this free overclock boost you currently get. Our new production models with normal GPU Boost function will be on sale next month.

Personally, you'll have more luck buying a good 670 for slightly cheaper then overclocking it. You can push - especially the MSI 670 PE quite hard and get it to perform as well as a 680 and sometimes beyond.

As mentioned above, it depends - what are you aiming for? 1080 x 1, 1080 x 3, 1200 or 1600 x 1?

670's are just 680's with a ~200 cuda core chunk chopped off. This is good, and bad. Good, because you save about 100 bucks for a minimal performance downside. Bad, because in all honesty, the only way you can overclock a 670 enough to make up for those missing cuda cores, is if you're comparing it to a real real slow, 'basic' clock'ed 680. And even then it's not gonna quite get up there. But, the difference is still pretttttty minimal.

1080P x 1

windspeed is right. the only reason a 680 would be 'necessary' is if you plan on going to a higher resolution or using three monitors. And even then, lets face it, AMD has better options for that.

On a compagny side ( Asus vs evga ) , I would choose evga anyday. They always respected my Mir ( I had 2 refused with asus ) .

I dont know the exact warranty provided for each card, but often evga give really long term warranty + offer program like step-up and warranty extension.

But on the cooler side, Asus have one of the best ( if you can fit it ). Its something to take in consideration since evga 4gb ftw use the default cooler ( wich is not that great )

To conclude , the evga 4gb would be a better card than the asus if you have good case airflow ( and high temps dont bother you ). But a cooler upgrade is always possible.

EDIT: I saw you said its going to be use on 1080p , both of those card are overkill by far for any game. My 670 oc cap 60 fps on bf3 maxed @ 1080p..

alright ill just stick to the 680 then... my buddy doesn't want to have to upgrade anytime soon lol
Wait till March. You'll be able to get an 8950 cheaper than today's 680.

Sorry, but i came here by following the link Linus provided in this video's desc

Binoj D

from personal experience (maybe I've just had lucky chips), the evga cards are usually cherry picked to a greater extent than that of asus.

I had a asus g53 and I was always sending it back in for something... didn't even think about that lol ill just slap in the EVGA then

Sorry' date=' but i came here by following the link Linus provided in this video's desc [url']

Confirming this...

yeah thats weird