System Build Upgrades - Do You Pay For Your Own Upgrades or Do Mum & Dad?

Geekazoid

I payed for everything except the HDD which my dad bought me and the monitor which was from his where he works.

My parents haven't spent money on me in years. I pay for all of my own stuff in addition to helping my parents with their mortgage and putting my older sister through college to get her masters

I pay for everything. that's why i don't have a GPU yet :(

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Do they all work? :D

Still working!

CPU:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 Ghz  - Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - RAM:Kingston Hyper X Blu - 8GB - GPU:Gigabyte GTX 760 - Case:NZXT H440 Red & Black - SSD:Kingston Digital 120GB - HDD:(2) Western Digital 1TB Blue - PSU:Thermaltake Smart 650W 80 PLUS Bronze - Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB - Mouse:Corsair M45

I pay for everything, only things I did not pay for are my keyboard I got as a gift 7 years ago and one of my monitors that I use only for monitoring temps. It was an old monitor from my father. I have returned the favor by giving him all of my old parts. He has a system that is a good $1200 to buy same performance today. 

My parents haven't spent money on me in years. I pay for all of my own stuff in addition to helping my parents with their mortgage and putting my older sister through college to get her masters

You should really save your money, you'll need it for collage one day. 

I pay for everything myself, since I live on my own.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

You should really save your money, you'll need it for collage one day.

Im done with college... My next big purchase in life would be a house hahaha I've reached the point in my financial life where building a new rig or something can easily be done within a pay period.

I hate to ask my parents for money, and it's not like they can't afford it, I genuinly hate being dependant and asking for money.

A buddy of mine used to pay for his friends games by paying via the phone at home for 8 bucks, whilst it costed 10, he made 8 bucks but his parents lost 10, he didn't care.

I work to get the stuff I want, and I like it that way.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

My parents would never EVER pay for ANYTHING video game or computer related. And it isn't that whole violent video game argument, it's "video games will make you a boring person" and I say back "did sports make you a boring person? It's a game also, just one works your mind and the other your body,"

Im done with college... My next big purchase in life would be a house hahaha I've reached the point in my financial life where building a new rig or something can easily be done within a pay period.

Oh sorry figured you were younger since you said older sister. And I know what you mean about in a pay period or two being able to buy a new/upgrade rig when needed.

My parents don't really understand computers, so its hard to justify buying $800 graphics cards to them or $500 monitor For this reason big purchases are usually done by me. However, my dad has been pretty on board with the ideas of SSDs lately. Once I explained to him the benefits, he bought me one, and four others for other computers around the house. He finds it completely stupid though buying more than one of something (surround monitors, SLI/xfire graphics cards, raided drives, lotsa ram, etc.) So I will most likely have to sit down and explain to him what the benefit of having more is, because I am going to be pretty broke if I buy another 780ti or another monitor

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I pay for everything, you know, with my full time job and all...

But in all seriousness, it is difficult to fund a hobby without a job. It was hard for me with a part time job delivering pizzas while I was still in school. I totally understand why parents don't want to drop serious cash on their kid's hobby, since they tend to lose interest a year or so later. Not always, but it's something I've definately noticed.