System Build Upgrades - Do You Pay For Your Own Upgrades or Do Mum & Dad?

Geekazoid

I wonder what the demographics of the LTT forums are like.  That'd be a pretty good indication of who buys what for whom and how. 

I do, but I'm not going to lie i've had some parts gifted to me.

I payed for all my computer stuff on my own. In the past I had to settle for subpar rigs built with old stuff that businesses threw out and a few select components I saved for from odd jobs, but ever since I got hired as a part time software developer in grade 10 after doing a coop at the company and took a summer job at a computer repair shop I have been able to save enough to maintain a decent low-mid range rig along with a few low end spare rigs from spare parts that get used by my younger brother and when I get together with friends for some LAN gaming. All this while saving a good sum for schooling and taking some aside for investments.

My current rig is an  i7 4770, 8gb DDR3 1600, GTX 760 2GB, 1TB blue, 3TB red and the 3 spares I have for my brother and friends are C2D e6600, 4GB DDR2 800, GTS 250 1GB and various old hard drives.

I've always had the mindset that asking for something is the same as giving up, therefore it has never crossed my mind to ask for help from relatives or friends; Keep saving, keep trying and keep pushing and eventually you will reach the goal on your own.

Indeed. Begging for money has never been in my nature. Even when I receive weekly 20€ or so from my grandmother for snacks to eat at school and for express bus tickets, I still feel like I should do work to get it, even when she says I don't need to work for it.

I guess I live by concept: give man some money and he'll live well for a day, give man a job and he could live well for the rest of his life. Sadly, my mother just seems to want us to live like she wants, AKA have enough money for bills, food etc. without need to work for it, but don't expect to save up for example to travel around. Hurr... As soon as I graduate and get my conscription served, I'll move out of here ASAP.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

i work full time, and pay for an apartment and the bills that go with that, as well as my hardware, currently building a new rig, i do believe if you save up and buy it yourself you appreciate it more and take more care of it, i hate the 12 year olds who have killer rigs and they never worked for any of it. When ever i buy a new piece of hardware its like christmas for me, i get really excited that its mine and i worked maybe 50 hours to buy a new motherboard , so it makes it all that much sweeter knowing i worked hard for it. and every piece is researched for days to make sure im getting the best i can for the money. Rather then saying i want the newest and getting it as soon as i demand it, i dont ask my parents for money or xmas or birthday gifts im to old to ask them, just seeing them for christmas day is enough, they have done alot for me so using them as a bank is not a great sign of how much i appreciate and respect them , just my opinion =) 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Only thing my mother got me was the SSD for christmas last year. . . . everything else has been my own pocket.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Well I moved out of home just after I turned 15.. and before I moved out if I didn't work for it I didn't get it(cloths food and all). I have always worked hard for every thing I have, its been alot easier since me and my g/f got together 5ish years ago. its  "our money now"

I am still yet to buy a real pc though but i will in good time.

I worked my ass off doing a retail job so i could get enough cash to build my machine. My parents never paid for anything of mine and they told me that if something didn't work or broke, it was my responsibility to replace it.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

When I had my paper route, I would use that money for any upgrades or games I wanted. I combined my paper route money and birthday money to build my PC in the first place...

Now that I have moved to another city, I had to leave my paper route and I am currently hunting for another job, but being 15, it's a little hard since places around here don't hire till 16 yrs... So for now I am just saving my money I got from my past birthday as much as possible until I get another job

:)

I paid for all my PC parts when I built this rig. Sadly I am now out of work, living with parents, no hope of job in sight, at least until I'm done with school.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I work to buy stuff 

makes it feel nicer to me

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

I do , Of course,  because of that i have the same PC i had as 4 years , Sooooooo....., Nothing changed.. Thug life ni%&@!

Details separate people.

Buy everything myself now. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I've got a pretty nice seasonal job that I use to cover computer upgrades and car repairs. My parents haven't helped me purchase anything since I was like 14.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I buy everything myself, my folks haven't really paid for anything since University, bar some gifts.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Well I will pay for everything except during Christmas and my birthday when my parents ask me what I want (I am 15 and have a summer job) so its not like I am 30 and still doing that kind of stuff. Like now they know that I want a gtx 970 for Christmas, but during the summer my psu went out and I had to buy a new one out of pocket

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

don´t all of us pay our own hardware and software?

My mom and dad does not pay anything, i even have to pay the trips i have to go on with my current education, my ensurances and so forth.

CPU: I7 4790K GPU: Manli GTX 980 Mobo: Asus Gryphon z97 RAM: kingston Hyper x fury 16GB 1866mhz PSU: EVGA supernova 750W G2 SSD: Samsung 840 evo 500GB HDD: WD Black 3TB Case: Parvum s2.0 Fans: Noiseblocker E-loop 800rpm Cooling: Custom water cooling

I do. Exception are birthday and Christmas presents pertaining to computer (so pretty much everything I want).

I get 90 euros a month from my parents, which I use for PC hardware.

90!! im jelly 

i got money from my parents until i was 17 i was getting 40 per month ,Now i work the summers to get some money .Birthday helps too 

I get 90 euros a month from my parents, which I use for PC hardware.

I used to get 2 euros per week from my parents, until I hit 14. After that, I didn't get anything. I saved my hard earned money for some bigger purchases, but usually as soon as I managed to get like 200€ on my bank account, my mother "loaned" it (threatened me to give her my money or else I don't get food or anything...) and this just happened multiple times during like 2 - 4 years starting from age 12.

And I managed to get some piece of sh*t laptop for 200€ and my old desktop for 175€ by saving that money gained in a week plus returnable cans and bottles, which yielded usually like 5 - 10€ per week. Oh, and birthdays and christmases helped a lot too, until I got 15. Think about that amount of devoting for a bigger purchase at that young age: 2€ per week plus additional 5€ - 10€ per week, depending on how lucky you are finding returnable bottles and cans in the dumpsters, and save that money so that you could almost afford something over 100€, and then your mother just takes your money, just like that, and never returns any of that...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

depends on how you look at it

I get a fixed amount of money/month to pay for food, rent etc. I use ~20% of it for PC related stuff (but they don't need to know that ^^)

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

I am 24... I have to buy my own PC parts :(

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I am 24... I have to buy my own PC parts :(

So you should mate!

BTW, Fake_Phillbert told me, before he was murdered, that 24 isn't your real age. :P:D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator