iPhone 6 models 'set gold standard' in photo, video quality tests

Good for Kim Kardaahian then.

You know because she uses an iohone, and she had an adult movie?

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Did anyone else notice how they made their graph misleading?

Many devices scored the same, but the bars keep shrinking in size.

It looks like the chart has a very skewed scale

I didn't notice it at first but you're right.

post-216-0-78132100-1411509623.png

I checked their other reviews just to make sure they don't use factions or anything like that, and they don't. They had to go out of their way to make the graph look like this. It makes no sense.

730$ say I don't care.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I checked their other reviews just to make sure they don't use factions or anything like that, and they don't. They had to go out of their way to make the graph look like this. It makes no sense.

I think they do it to make the difference between the columns more noticeable (they simply remove 40 or so points from the base).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I didn't notice it at first but you're right.

I assume they have a decimal point after but the are just putting the whole number for the sake of space,. like 66 and 66.4 

I do trust DXO mark though, their DSLR ratings are considered industry standard by every photographer I know

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I assume they have a decimal point after but the are just putting the whole number for the sake of space,. like 66 and 66.4 

I do trust DXO mark though, their DSLR ratings are considered industry standard by every photographer I know

This is why I don't find their findings to be suspect. 

DxO looks at lenses and cameras and gives metrics used by professionals and prosumers alike, I can't see them fudging a cellphone test for any reason, especially when its not even their target market. 

I mean, I used these guys to figure out which 2500 dollar lens to buy. Not which phone to buy...

DxO looks at lenses and cameras and gives metrics used by professionals and prosumers alike, I can't see them fudging a cellphone test for any reason, especially when its not even their target market. 

I mean, I used these guys to figure out which 2500 dollar lens to buy. Not which phone to buy...

Yeah I guess since they already have the standardised tests they can easily just take a few smartphone snaps and decide who wins

I do like to know I have a good back up camera (well my 3rd backup camera) or a decent camera when I am out with friends not carrying my gear and lenses

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

FFS MO ONE CARES about a "flagship killer" that you can't even go into a store and buy. By the time it makes it to general sale it will be outdated so stop trying to throw it into every phone argument

I love that you make that statement when the facts proving you wrong are 5 posts above you

This was the one thing that was holding me back from switching from iPhone. There cameras are always so good

Oh shit I completely forgot the iPhone 5S existed there. Was comparing it to the iPhone 5 actually :3

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Well that would explain why there is a huge gap between 72 and 72, but a really tiny gap between 72 and 73. It's still really weird though. Either round your numbers up or write the full number in the graph.

How do they measure the quality anyway? If they can get decimal points even on a 100 point scale they must be really accurate (and not someone just looking at a picture and deciding how good it is). I didn't find an explanation of how they come up with these numbers on their website though.

I am very suspicious of any benchmark not explaining how the tests were done, what the numbers represent or give the readers any way of validating it themselves.

Again, it's like rating the iPhone's screen at 78/100. It's just a meaningless number by itself. I am very interested in why they gave the iPhone 6+ a worse score than the 6 for video, but I have no way of validating it. They don't even offer any explanation in the "Video: a new class leader" section. There are 0 words regarding the OIS and how it impacts recordings. The entire explanation is a very brief mention of a "video stabilization artifact", but they don't explain what they mean by that or show any evidence for it.

That really pisses me off. I hate when I am expected to blindly trust a number someone gives me. That's not how you make a review or analysis. You give the reader all the facts and then let them make their mind up. This is the exact opposite, give users 0 info and just give them the conclusion the writer came up with.

That really pisses me off. I hate when I am expected to blindly trust a number someone gives me. That's not how you make a review or analysis. You give the reader all the facts and then let them make their mind up. This is the exact opposite, give users 0 info and just give them the conclusion the writer came up with.

This definitely reeks of snake oil to me though I feel it's more by accident than malicious intent that the iPhone is on top by only three points. If they truly wanted to be deceptive about it they could have given it a more sizable lead.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well that would explain why there is a huge gap between 72 and 72, but a really tiny gap between 72 and 73. It's still really weird though. Either round your numbers up or write the full number in the graph.

How do they measure the quality anyway? If they can get decimal points even on a 100 point scale they must be really accurate (and not someone just looking at a picture and deciding how good it is). I didn't find an explanation of how they come up with these numbers on their website though.

I am very suspicious of any benchmark not explaining how the tests were done, what the numbers represent or give the readers any way of validating it themselves.

Again, it's like rating the iPhone's screen at 78/100. It's just a meaningless number by itself. I am very interested in why they gave the iPhone 6+ a worse score than the 6 for video, but I have no way of validating it. They don't even offer any explanation in the "Video: a new class leader" section. There are 0 words regarding the OIS and how it impacts recordings. The entire explanation is a very brief mention of a "video stabilization artifact", but they don't explain what they mean by that or show any evidence for it.

But its DxO...

There is no smoking gun here. DxO doesn't even have a horse in a mobile camera phone race. They review lenses that cost more than what most people here flat out have in all their assets, and do so on a very technical level. 

THAT is why I'm not that worried. 

DxO is not where you go to get layman's explanations of how they get their results. It just isn't. You either understand what they post, or you don't, and DxO has no onus to make their words any more clear than they are. 

Why they test cameras on phones is beyond me, but they didn't pull their methodology out of their ass for no reason..

I'm pretty sure the camera on the iPhone 6 is just the Exmor R IMX145.

The only difference is the lens. 

Correct me if i'm wrong. 

EDIT: It's just a Exmor RS version of the IMX145. (HA! Sony!)

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

This definitely reeks of snake oil to me though I feel it's more by accident than malicious intent that the iPhone is on top by only three points. If they truly wanted to be deceptive about it they could have given it a more sizable lead.

I don't even care about the iPhone being in the lead. It's their complete lack of explanations how they did the test, what the numbers represent and the lack of room for the reader to make their own mind up.

Posting a number without explaining anything or giving the reader a way to validate it is bullshit.

For example I was very surprised about the 6+ getting a lower video score than the 6, but they don't explain it with more than a vague term they came up with in a single sentence.

But its DxO...

There is no smoking gun here. DxO doesn't even have a horse in a mobile camera phone race. They review lenses that cost more than what most people here flat out have in all their assets, and do so on a very technical level. 

THAT is why I'm not that worried. 

DxO is not where you go to get layman's explanations of how they get their results. It just isn't. You either understand what they post, or you don't, and DxO has no onus to make their words any more clear than they are. 

Why they test cameras on phones is beyond me, but they didn't pull their methodology out of their ass for no reason..

I try to hold everyone to the exact same standards. It doesn't matter if something is from Linus, Anandtech, DxO or a random post on 4chan.

If they didn't pull their methodology out of their ass then please explain to me how they determine their numbers and what they represent.

I am okay with explanations not written in layman's terms. If I don't understand something I'll do enough research until I do understand it. They don't even give me that though. They only give me a number and says "here, you will just have to believe that this number is correct. We won't tell you what it presents though, or how we came up with it".

I understood everything they posted. It's that their post contained next to no info that bothers me.

How about this, I give the iPhone's CPU a score of 68/100. Don't you want to know how I came up with that score, what it represents and on what scale it is (as in, is there a big difference between 68 and 69 for example)?

I'm pretty sure the camera on the iPhone 6 is just the Exmor R IMX145.

The only difference is the lens. 

Correct me if i'm wrong. 

EDIT: It's just a Exmor RS version of the IMX145. (HA! Sony!)

Why "HA! Sony!" Sony provides for A LOT of companies in sensor terms. Brands aren't loyal to who they get their sensors from. And making your own sensors is not cheap or even smart most of the time. If Apple is buying Sony, it meant Sony was offering the best package possible combined with the optics and the software, and given the real world use and reviews so far, it worked out pretty well. 

I mean, Hasselblad uses 50mp CMOS sensors from Sony in their medium format cameras. You know who cares that its a Sony sensor? The spec sheet warriors on the internet. The ones who get to use those cameras couldn't care less who provided the sensor and why, only that it works damn well. 

Why "HA! Sony!" Sony provides for A LOT of companies in sensor terms. Brands aren't loyal to who they get their sensors from. And making your own sensors is not cheap or even smart most of the time. If Apple is buying Sony, it meant Sony was offering the best package possible combined with the optics and the software, and given the real world use and reviews so far, it worked out pretty well. 

I mean, Hasselblad uses 50mp CMOS sensors from Sony in their medium format cameras. You know who cares that its a Sony sensor? The spec sheet warriors on the internet. The ones who get to use those cameras couldn't care less who provided the sensor and why, only that it works damn well. 

I meant that more in a light hearted way. No need to explain what does not need to be explained. 

But the people who think Apple made this camera, are wrong. Just the facts.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I don't even care about the iPhone being in the lead. It's their complete lack of explanations how they did the test, what the numbers represent and the lack of room for the reader to make their own mind up.

Posting a number without explaining anything or giving the reader a way to validate it is bullshit.

For example I was very surprised about the 6+ getting a lower video score than the 6, but they don't explain it with more than a vague term they came up with in a single sentence.

How about this, I give the iPhone's CPU a score of 68/100. Don't you want to know how I came up with that score, what it represents and on what scale it is (as in, is there a big difference between 68 and 69 for example)?

I completely agree. 

And on the CPU for example, it's not even clear what would constitute a perfect score, because it's really all relative and nobody is lightyears ahead in every category. The same applies here. We have no idea what a perfect score looks like, much less these less-than-perfect scores which differ only very slightly from each other. Given how relative this all is for all we know the iPhone's score could still be shitty but it's still the best among smartphones in their test. Setting the gold standard means nothing if the gold standard is still a turd.

spec sheet warriors

I'm not sure that you intended to but you just described around 99% of this forum's users...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What people don't understand is Apple just buys the best components that other companies offer (samsung silicon, sony cameras, probably an LG/samsung screen) and combines it into a beautiful package. It's no surprise that both the Sony and Apple smartphones scored well in the camera tests as they are most likely sharing a lot of the same components.

Another thing about the graph. Although the scores are the same, the lower bars denotes that that phone is slightly worse than a phone with the same score. That is why the 6+ and the 6 have the same score but the 6 has a lower bar due to the lack of OIS.

EDIT: After looking towards the bottom tier of the graph, I was reminded why I didn't want to buy an HTC One. Its camera is beaten by a 3 year old iPhone :/. Its camera is seriously the only lacking feature about it.

I don't know who the hell Mo One is but who gives a fuck about his opinion? The Oneplus One was always a value phone, with the focus on the price point. Even if it released to the general public in about six months for the same price, it would still be a decent option.

What, the fact that this website rated the G2 lower, when there is a comparison by Lawlz proving the point just a bit further down?

When did apple start selling iBlinders, because a lot of people on this forum seem to have them...

the one plus was touted as a flagship killer by one plus http://oneplus.net/uk when it releases to the public it will be surrounded by the cheaper flagships that it tried to kill not to mention the note 4, nexsus 6 the z3 and more....if it had been released properly the first time then i think it would have made serious waves but i dont think it will now.

since when was a 1 photo from each phone prove anything...that could have been staged very easily 

and the sold them about the same time android was selling iHaters...seriously people bring alot to these threads from now on you should bring silence

The misinformed are misinformed. It's getting easier and easier to get one and it's scheduled for full release in October of this year. To counter you're argument "FFS No One cares about an Overpriced phone that doesn't have the specs to justify the price".

when you have to preference your argument with "its getting easier" then i kinda rest my case

oh and no cares about iPhone? so 10 mill people brought it in the first week end, there is a back log for weeks and this forum is lit up with threads about the phone......

but no one cares.....

srcstc.gif

i will say that @LAwLz made a good point where is the g3 in this test

Edited by jaggysnake57

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

the one plus was touted as a flagship killer by one plus http://oneplus.net/uk when it releases to the public it will be surrounded by the cheaper flagships that it tried to kill not to mention the note 4, nexsus 6 the z3 and more....if it had been released properly the first time then i think it would have made serious waves but i dont think it will now. 

And the Nvidia Titan Z was marketed as the killer 'gaming' card. It's alternative is a ton cheaper and just about as powerful. Not really relevant.

I don't think it will make serious waves without a refresh either, but it will still be a good value handset even in 6 months if sold at the same price. That's my point.

since when was a 1 photo from each phone prove anything...that could have been staged very easily 

Anandtech is well known for staging photo comparisons, just ask Alex Jones

and the sold them about the same time android was selling iHaters...seriously people bring alot to these threads from now on you should bring silence

Forum. Discussion. What about this do Apple fans not seem to understand?!

It was a clear joke aimed at people who defend apple to it's very core nailed it and if it offends you then maybe you might be investing too much into apple as a company.

Or maybe you just need a new apple product. That must be it.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

The nokia with 41 mega pixel is probably still better than all of these. Id rather see how phone stack up to otger cameras.

I for one don't agree with this list. There is no mention of the Nokia Lumia 930 or 1520? What about the g3? This is crazy. I want more info of how and why. I just don't understand how they rated them like this. The Nokia Lumia 1020 is that much lower? Idk, I bet other places have different ratings.

It was a clear joke aimed at people who defend apple to it's very core nailed it and if it offends you then maybe you might be investing too much into apple as a company.

Or maybe you just need a new apple product. That must be it.

it offends me that people fanboy in the first place and the same goes for hate boys....it pathetic

oh btw i need a new apple product so bad that within a week of the new 6/6+ being anounced i want a brought a lg g3

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

it offends me that people fanboy in the first place and the same goes for hate boys....it pathetic

oh btw i need a new apple product so bad that within a week of the new 6/6+ being anounced i want a brought a lg g3

Hate boys? I said that in response to some of the posts in this thread, not out of the blue or anything.

And it was aimed at people in this thread, not necessarily you.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

No, it also captured more detail (thanks to higher resolution) in photos and the OIS helped A TON in certain low light scenarios.

LG G2

iPhone 5S

It's worth noting that DxO has not tested for example the LG G3.

On top of that, they don't seem to provide an easy way to compare their results for yourself. They just say "it's this good" and then you have to take their word for it. I prefer sites like GSMArena which not only uploads all the photos they take but also gives you a very handy tool for comparing the cameras with.

Another issue I got with this is that the iPhone 6 got a better video score than the iPhone 6+. How did they come to that conclusion? They say the OIS made the video worse but I really doubt that, but they give me no way of validating it myself.

I would take this title with a huge grain of salt.

Not this guy again.... 

Bro sometimes you are too argumentative...

Please watch this video.

Just be reasonable guys, the camera of the 6 is the best of any smartphone camera right now period. IDGAF what people say.

Interested in Business and Technology