2GB or 3GB GTX 660Ti?

Crusen

At the moment I've got a GTX 460, and I'm going to buy a 660Ti.

My question is, should I get a 2GB or a 3GB GTX 660Ti? I have one BenQ XL2420T (and yes, i do run nVIDIA 3D Vision on it) and one extra 1280x1024 screen. What benefits do I get with a 3GB card, and can I really get that extra GB to good use?

Eh...since you use 3D then I would recommend getting the 3GB version.

The extra GB is used for various amounts of different things, hell I'm gonna say you'll be fine with 2GB, but having that extra GB just in case might help.

Alright, 'cause 30 bucks for 1 extra GB is worth it then? Because if I get the 3GB version I will get the EVGA 3GB model, and if I go with the 2GB version it will be the one from MSI with the Twin Frozr 4 (i think it is) cooler.

The only downside with getting the 3GB version would be to lose the better cooler on the MSI card..

Graphics cards these days are very rarely limited by its capacity. Rather, the processing power usually cannot fully utilize the available memory. I would personally go with the 2GB, as it should be plenty. However, I'm not sure about the requirements of 3d and how much memory it will take up. In any case, I believe that 2GB should be enough.

Since you run 3D get the 3GB model, especially for only 30 bucks more.

If you run 3d and use 2 monitors, then you should get the 3gb version, 30 bucks more is worth it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Graphics cards these days are very rarely limited by its capacity. Rather' date=' the processing power usually cannot fully utilize the available memory. I would personally go with the 2GB, as it should be plenty. However, I'm not sure about the requirements of 3d and how much memory it will take up. In any case, I believe that 2GB should be enough.[/quote']

That all depends on resolution.

Go with the 3GB version if you're using 3D.

If you run 3d and use 2 monitors, then you should get the 3gb version, 30 bucks more is worth it.
Alright, but that extra screen is only used for spotify and bittorrent, but that 1280x1024 extra resolution maybe demands a bit more from the graphics card then?

Graphics cards these days are very rarely limited by its capacity. Rather' date=' the processing power usually cannot fully utilize the available memory. I would personally go with the 2GB, as it should be plenty. However, I'm not sure about the requirements of 3d and how much memory it will take up. In any case, I believe that 2GB should be enough.[/quote']

Alright, but do I loose a lot in terms of temperature with the EVGA with the stock cooler?

I have a pny with a stock cooler and i havent seen it go above 60c with the gpu at about 100%

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Really? Great, then 3GB it is.

Unless you're living in the arctic circle, it'll definitely go above 60c under load.

Infact, a 660Ti Power Edition, averages about 72-74 under load , so there is no way a card with a reference cooler does better under load.

Get the 3GB, you will more than likely need the extra ram on the card with that set up.

2gb for 1 monitor, 3gb for Nvidia Surround :)
det låter bra! :)

3gb all the way. It's only a 660ti, so might as well go all the way with to get the most out of it.

To get the 2gb version is like buying a Mercedes without the emblems.