1,024gb of RAM?!

With ddr4 going up to 512gb for one board or 8 ram sticks, what if you had a motherboard with 2 cpus and 16 sticks of ddr4? 1,024gb of ram? or I'm I dum. what do you think? BTW; first time starting a new Topic so yea :l 

Motherboard; 

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6666/overview-of-supermicro-s-ddr4-intel-xeon-c612-server-motherboards/index.html

4xTitan Blacks with this, Yea baby! I'm done have a great day. 

post-99375-0-37722300-1411431302_thumb.j

Only servers can use that much ram. And there already are rack servers with 2TB+ of ram. This is nothing special.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thats a hell of a lot of RAM, I highly doubt that it could ever be used in a realistic scenario, the only one being having like 50 tabs open in chrome. (Joke)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Thats a hell of a lot of RAM, I highly doubt that it could ever be used in a realistic scenario, the only one being having like 50 tabs open in chrome. (Joke)

even with 8gb of ram, you can open up 50 tabs in chrome, the thing i would that could use all of that ram is a triple monitor setup with a lot of programs and a lot of chrome tabs.  

Running  many virtual machines or servers could be handy to have that much ram. Also I have had 50 tabs open with only 10gb ram used with chrome.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

In server applications, and VM scenario's, I've seen 512GB used. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

even with 8gb of ram, you can open up 50 tabs in chrome, the thing i would that could use all of that ram is a triple monitor setup with a lot of programs and a lot of chrome tabs.  

I was making a joke saying that chrome eats up a ton of ram.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

even with 8gb of ram, you can open up 50 tabs in chrome 

The joke is that firefox and chrome, particularly chrome, have very bad memory leaks. My chrome has 10 tabs open and is using 10gb of ram atm, simply because it's been open for a week or so. 

I used to have an old laptop I used to use while working on things that had 1GB of ram, and could open almost as many tabs as I wanted in firefox or chrome. But those days are over. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The joke is that firefox and chrome, particularly chrome, have very bad memory leaks. My chrome has 10 tabs open and is using 10gb of ram atm, simply because it's been open for a week or so. 

I used to have an old laptop I used to use while working on things that had 1GB of ram, and could open almost as many tabs as I wanted in firefox or chrome. But those days are over. 

I was making a joke saying that chrome eats up a ton of ram.

i was just saying that even with 8gb of ram, you could have 50 tabs open  

You know the worst Chrome memory leak? LinusTechTips. It seems to never return the memory after it's done with it. After only a few hours, RAM usage jumps all the way up to 2000MB at minimum. And with only 4GB of ram, my computer is a shit ton of crap when it's super slow when LTT seems to hog all ram.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

not for long and expect to open up other programs. Stupid browsers. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Only servers can use that much ram. And there already are rack servers with 2TB+ of ram. This is nothing special.

At first I was yea, but on second look the old E7-4850 supported 2TB of RAM but the newer E7-4850v2 only supports 1536 GB of RAM:

Ref: E7-4850 Specs: http://ark.intel.com/products/53574/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-4850-24M-Cache-2_00-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

E7-4850v2 Specs: http://ark.intel.com/products/75248/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-4850-v2-24M-Cache-2_30-GHz

Guess 1.5TB is the limit for now on the newer gen E7's, maybe the v3's will move it up back to 2TB or more?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

At first I was yea, but on second look the old E7-4850 supported 2TB of RAM but the newer E7-4850v2 only supports 1536 GB of RAM:

Ref: E7-4850 Specs: http://ark.intel.com/products/53574/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-4850-24M-Cache-2_00-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

E7-4850v2 Specs: http://ark.intel.com/products/75248/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-4850-v2-24M-Cache-2_30-GHz

Guess 1.5TB is the limit for now on the newer gen E7's, maybe the v3's will move it up back to 2TB or more?

There are 2P and 4P boxes, you know. That memory limit is for a single processor.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If I could have a motherboard that supported 1 TB+ I'd probably use some portion of that as:

- Virtual Machines

- RAM Disk

It'd be amazing to see a 1% memory use(age) . . . . .

There are 2P and 4P boxes, you know. That memory limit is for a single processor.

I am not sure that's true or I have not seen a 2P or 4P system with more than the listed max RAM as in the spec.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Gimme.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

No performance difference unless you are using that much ram.

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

• 3 years later...

Theres 128 gig sticks... So theoreticly 1024 gigs in a single socket

On 9/22/2014 at 8:18 PM, Bubblewhale said:

It was sarcasm you should interact with humans more to understand sarcasm, maybe get off chrome for awhile. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

8 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

It was sarcasm you should interact with humans more to understand sarcasm, maybe get off chrome for awhile. 

Who knows, maybe this thread shouldn't get nerco that long. 

Why did i bump alike 3 year old thread