Your temps are fine, I wouldn't worry about having the extra fans. I'm assuming your burn in puts the drives at full load. The drives in my array are 34C on the hotside (nearest my raid card and expander), and 31C on the cool side.

welcome to #22, just remember whose #21  :rolleyes:

My fan controller's sensors put the drives at around 28°C, but the sensors are near the SATA ports so not really in a good place.  I'll probably move them to the center the next time I open the case.  Having the extra fans does allow me to turn them down a notch, and 4 fans at half speed pull more air than 2 at full whilst being a lot more silent.  The NAS is sitting right next to me while I copy everything onto it, and all I hear are the drives and the one Fractal fan (which will be replaced with a BeQuiet  in a matter of hours)

Heh, I didn't even notice that we'd be that close together.  Now that you mention it, we're only 3.3TB apart.  

I still have room for one more hard drive and need to go shopping for a fan anyways, so ... :P

Nah, I'm not doing any such upgrading before I start running out of space, and the space I have now should last me a looooong time. 

It's going to take months before I finish ripping my Blu-Ray collection to begin with, nevermind doubling its size.

Currently I'm copying the contents of the other NAS boxes over so I can shut them down and properly test the 4 aging HDDs to find the cause of my problems.  They all return good SMART data though.

Despite the corruptions I'm copying over my series as well.  That will make it much easier to identify episodes and rename the files when I rip them again. 

Unfortunately the EX4 doesn't have the power to saturate my network.  5TB to go and it tops out at 60MB/s, so it'll be busy for 24-ish hours. 

It just dawned on me that I don't know which physical HDD is which in my Freenas menu.  I'll have to look up the serial numbers on each one so I can label them properly.  If one drive dies or starts throwing up errors or bad SMART data, I don't want to be pulling out random drives to identify it.  So I'll be doing that today or tomorrow as well.

This is my first dedicated server/nas. Previously I had been serving the media and file sharing for my home network with my main desktop machine, it has a 17TB Flexraid setup that is still going but now only for redundancy. The new machine is running the latest FreeNAS with various plugins.

Specs below.

24TB Advertised, I am using a Raidz2 8 disk array, for 16.4TB Usable and can lose 2 drives before game over.

FreeNas is running off a 16GB USB 2.0 drive

CASE: Fractal Design R5 Black No window

PSU: Corsair CS450M GOLD Cert

MB: Supermicro X10SLL-F

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4GHz 

HS: Noctua NH-U9S

RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR3 ECC 4x8GB

RAID CARD 1: LSI 9211-8i flashed with P16IT Firmware

HDD: 8x TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB 7200 RPM

Fans: 2xFractal 140mm / 2x Noctua 120mm / 3x Noctua 140mm

Cheatdeath, 

Very nice build, I also used a Define R5 and love it. I'm curious to my Temps now tho, I never noticed them getting very warm. I shall test....

Currently I'm copying the contents of the other NAS boxes over so I can shut them down and properly test the 4 aging HDDs to find the cause of my problems.  They all return good SMART data though.

Despite the corruptions I'm copying over my series as well.  That will make it much easier to identify episodes and rename the files when I rip them again. 

Unfortunately the EX4 doesn't have the power to saturate my network.  5TB to go and it tops out at 60MB/s, so it'll be busy for 24-ish hours. 

It just dawned on me that I don't know which physical HDD is which in my Freenas menu.  I'll have to look up the serial numbers on each one so I can label them properly.  If one drive dies or starts throwing up errors or bad SMART data, I don't want to be pulling out random drives to identify it.  So I'll be doing that today or tomorrow as well.

If you're looking to tag and properly name tv or movie eps, I highly higly HIGHLY recommend you take a look at Filebot, I've got the headless version running on my server and I wrote a daemon script to monitor for new files. So once I rip a bluray, I just name it something like <Name> (year)> then place it in the folder. Filebot will go fetch the details online, and move the file into the proper location, and then rename it according to my standards. So handy and helpful. As long as your close to the actual name, it'll match up. Its even better with tv eps. 

I just realized I have no way of finding a bad drive either lol. Guess I'll have to shut it down later and label the bays

I did an update to my existing NAS over the past week.  I've added 4 more HGST 4TB NAS drives to it to max out the config for this case.  I've increased the capacity from 32TB to 48TB of raw space (48TB + 384GB for internal SSD storage) and rebuilt the zfs pool.  It's configured as raidz2 and has compression enabled. 

I've updated the OS to Xubuntu 14.10 and that is being run on the 256GB Samsung 850 pro and the L2ARC is on the 128GB Samsung 850 PRO.  I've secured the SSD drives to the case tray with 3M Velcro tape and I added the additional RAM maxing it out at 32GB ECC.  I also tried to cleanup all the SATA cables since I have 14 of them to manage.  I love the port density of this motherboard but I wouldn't mind the breakout cables to reduce some of the mess.  Fortunately it's laid out such that it doesn't obstruct air flow.

I'm using the NAS for my own plex server.  I also aggregate all the backups from my workstations in the house using CrashPlan.  It is also used for hosting another Linux VM which runs a couple chat servers and gaming servers.

My original build post is here.  New config with pictures and proof attached.

nas-front-view.jpg

NAS-top-view-01.jpg

NAS-top-view-02.jpg

NAS-zpool-status-01.jpg

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

- snip -

Nice, updatet!

It seems we're not too far off trom hitting 3 PB! :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hardware
CASE: NZXT Source 210 
PSU: Corsair CX500m 
MB: MSI H81-P33 
CPU: Intel Pentium G3250 
HS: Stock Intel Heatsink
RAM: 8GB (1x8gb) DDR3 1600
RAID CARD: Syba SI-PEX 40064

OS Drive: 4GB PNY flash drive from 6+ years ago connected via USB-header to USB dongle. 
HDD 1: 3x 4TB Western Digital Reds
HDD 2: 1x 1TB Western Digital Green (from an old WD My Book Live)
HDD 3: 1x 1TB Seagate miscellaneous drive (from an old Seagate external drive) 
HDD 4: 1x750GB Seagate miscellaneous drive (from an old computer) 

HDD 5: 1x640GB 2.5" Hitachi miscellaneous drive (from my old laptop) 

HDD 6: 1x250GB Western Digital Miscellaneous drive (from my old computer) 

Software and Configuration:
I'm running FreeNAS on my home media server consisting of 5 arrays. 

• Three 4TB drives set up for overflow thus a drive can fail without compromising the rest of the data (12TB usable storage)
  • Two 1TB drives in Raid 1 for photo/critical storage (1TB usable storage) 
  • One 750GB drive, which I've yet to really do anything with, but would like to set up as to backup and sync multiple computers (to keep certain computers updated with the exact same information on each) 
  • One 640GB drive and one 250GB drive, which I've done nothing with and don't really have any plans for, but may eventually find a cool use for them...(possible dropcam storage dump onto the 250GB drive, and then something else for the 640GB drive...) 

Usage:
The main use is in-home and remote streaming of movies, TV shows, and photos with a secondary purpose (hopefully) being to somehow sync multiple computers, and with a third alternative purpose of ______.

Photo's:

I'll probably tidy up the Sata data cables at some point...I guess by coiling and zip-tying them up. I'm also considering picking up two of these in order to make the sata power cables look nicer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162011Although it doesn't really make sense for me to spend money on aesthetics for a server which is going to sit in a (ventilated) closet.  EsU5jbu.jpg

I didn't really care that much about managing the back due to having plenty of space and not much of a need to run anything behind the board. 
Hgh8tbj.jpg

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

- snip -

Yay, moar storage! Added. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'm new in this thread, and fairly new to the forum in general, so i thought i would "pop my cherry" so to speak by showing off my little baby :)

Hardware:

CPUs: 2x Xeon E5-2603 v3

RAM: Kingston DDR4 2133MHz ECC 32GB (4x8gb)

Motherboard: Supermicro MB X10DRL-i Dual Xeon E5 v3

PSU: Redundant 960w 80Plus Platinum PSU (Comes with the case)

Case: Supermicro SuperChassis 846BA-R920B

Boot-drive: 128Gb OCZ Agility 3

Drives: Different sizes. Mostly 2TB and 4TB WD Red, but there are some mixing and matching going on. Totals at 34,6TB usable space.

Controllers: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9211-8i & HighPoint RocketRaid 2320 (Just for the ports, really)

Software:

The server is running Microsofts StorageSpaces on Windows Server 2012. It fits my drive config, and the speed is perfectly fine for gigabit connectivity. 

I'm only using this as a file / Plex server at the moment, but it probably will be used for some Hyper-V stuff later on.

The storage is configured as one drive-pool with two virtual disks. One big disk for media configured as parity, and one smaller disk for documents and more important stuff which is configured as a mirror over three drives, and is backed up using Jottacloud aswell.

D4s0iB3.jpg

sISuyi1.png

CNBKiW1.jpg (The inside is super-messy, i know. Something will be done, some day.)

I'm new in this thread, and fairly new to the forum in general, so i thought i would "pop my cherry" so to speak by showing off my little baby :)

- snip -

Very nice system, welcome to the forums! Two questions:

1) How much noise does that redundant PSU make?

2) You wouldn't be able to get me a list with the drive sizes and vendors? I don't need model

numbers, but the total capacity for the list is calculated by the script via drive count and

sizes, and things get kinda wonky for the stats if I just enter you as a single drive with

34.6 TB (plus, you get ranked by raw space, not usable space, so unless you have RAID0 or just

JBOD you'll be higher up in the rankings if you can give me the raw info). But yeah, since

we do vendor and drive size stats, that'd be super awesome if you could somehow get a hold of

that info, otherwise the ranking script will throw a hissy fit (well, it'll just refuse to run,

I suppose, but still). :D

Very nice system, welcome to the forums! Two questions:

1) How much noise does that redundant PSU make?

2) You wouldn't be able to get me a list with the drive sizes and vendors? I don't need model

numbers, but the total capacity for the list is calculated by the script via drive count and

sizes, and things get kinda wonky for the stats if I just enter you as a single drive with

34.6 TB (plus, you get ranked by raw space, not usable space, so unless you have RAID0 or just

JBOD you'll be higher up in the rankings if you can give me the raw info). But yeah, since

we do vendor and drive size stats, that'd be super awesome if you could somehow get a hold of

that info, otherwise the ranking script will throw a hissy fit (well, it'll just refuse to run,

I suppose, but still). :D

1) Not a whole lot. The fans in the system itself is way louder :)

2) Sure: ) I see that i have made a mistake assuming my 2TB drives were WD Reds (i honestly forgot, lol).

6x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

4x WD Red 4TB

2x Seagate Barracuda 1,5TB

1x Seagate Barracuda 3TB

1x WD Red 3TB

1x WD Black 1TB

I also have a 500gb WD Blue outside the pool used for download dumps

@mGrytbak

Finally another user with mikrotik devices! I love them! 

Which model do you have?

nice server too btw

Its an RB2011UiAS-RM :)

Wow, that's awfully similar to the model that I've got, RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

Do you have anything crazy complicated setup? I love how you can do anything you like with the mikrotiks. I recommend them to ppl looking for new routers from time to time. So far, nobody has went along with it

I've got 4-5 automated scripts running on mine, checking bandwidth usage of certain applications, and then shifting my queue trees around accordingly. For example, if plex starts streaming, it will shape my low priority traffic down to 2M, so that plex can have up to 4M of upstream. 

Capture_zpsnslxrjp5.png

Do you have anything crazy complicated setup? 

No, i really dont have a superfancy config. I like having the option, but as i have a 100/100 connection, i really don't need to shape the traffic, as the load close to never hits max :)

1) Not a whole lot. The fans in the system itself is way louder :)

2) Sure: ) I see that i have made a mistake assuming my 2TB drives were WD Reds (i honestly forgot, lol).

6x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

4x WD Red 4TB

2x Seagate Barracuda 1,5TB

1x Seagate Barracuda 3TB

1x WD Red 3TB

1x WD Black 1TB

I also have a 500gb WD Blue outside the pool used for download dumps

Awesome, thanks a lot, and welcome to the list! :)

No, i really dont have a superfancy config. I like having the option, but as i have a 100/100 connection, i really don't need to shape the traffic, as the load close to never hits max :)

50/5 here

And with my seed box and my shared Plex server I'm constantly maxing my upstream. I'm envious of your connection. Who is your ISP?

I have to shape or they'll saturate my connection, clogging the tubes :-P

You should see my firewall mangle rules, I've got around 50-60 of them. I'm marking every packet that hits the router lol

Love that brute force way of thinking :D

But the K'nex idea seemed very cool so I busted my old K'nex out to build an enclosure myself. It's actually really cool ( But Time Consuming ) as you can build it in so many ways and prototype as you go along.

I didn't see MG2R's take on the K'nex thing, and looking at it now we made some very different builds :)

How have I not seen this system before?!

Awesome job, dude(tte)! Welcome to the K'nex Club! :D

Who is your ISP?

A really small ISP in Norway (whom i also work for) so i get 100/100 FTTH for free :) 

I have access to greater connections, but as i live alone (with my servers) i don't really see the need to upgrade my equipment (SFPs etc) as of right now. 

4455495475.png

A really small ISP in Norway (whom i also work for) so i get 100/100 FTTH for free :)

I have access to greater connections, but as i live alone (with my servers) i don't really see the need to upgrade my equipment (SFPs etc) as of right now. 

you son of a bitch, looks like I'm moving to Norway!

4455503878.png

I pay for 50/5, and I have to shape it accordingly during the day, or it gets saturated and I can't use anything. But at night I'll uncork it, and during the wee hours when nobody on my node is using the internet, I pull 60/6

Fastest "consumer" internet available in my area, and I'm paying out the ass for it too. $100/mo for my internet, and $80/mo for my TV lol

I have 6 4TB Western Digital REs on their way to me just awaiting my entry into this...

Throwing them in my old i5-2500k powered Carbide 400r case :)

Soon I'll be among you...SOOOOON

--

Edit:

And despite this being my first post, and me just having purchased these drives... I IN NO WAY bought these solely because of this list...

That would be foolish and...impractical, and wasteful! Yeah, wasteful, that's it.

I TOTALLY need them...

Actually I do... when I get everything together / do a build post for my entry in the list I'll get into the various needs I have that will be met by this...almost none of which is music or movies.

I have 6 4TB Western Digital REs on their way to me just awaiting my entry into this...

Throwing them in my old i5-2500k powered Carbide 400r case :)

Soon I'll be among you...SOOOOON

excellent.gif

Also, welcome to the forums. :)

Hardware:

CASE: Fractal Design Define R4

PSU: Corsair CX500M

MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

CPU: Intel Core i7-920

HS: Nexus FLC-3000 Real Silent

RAM: 16GB DDR3

Network: D-Link DGE-528T
GPU: Evga GT210 (no onboard video)

HDD 1: 3TB ST3000DM0012D1CH166

HDD 2: 4 TB ST4000DM0002D1F2168

HDD 3: 2 TB SAMSUNG_HD204UI

HDD 4: 2 TB WDC_WD2003FYYS2D02W0B1

HDD 5: 500 GB SAMSUNG_HD502HJ

HDD 6: 600 GB WDC_WD6000HLHX2D01JJPV0

Total storage: 12.1 TB

Software and Configuration:
The server is running ESXi 5.5.0 but the VM that acts as a fileserver is running Windows Server 2012R2.
Some of the drives are mirrored but I should try to do something about my configuration so that all data is mirrored.

There are 2 drives in the case that arent connected because of the controller not supporting 8 SATA ports in ESXi. Considering buying a HBA.

Usage:
Storing personal files, backup and virtualization.

Backup:
The most important files are backed up to Dropbox. Trying to decide backup provider for everything.

Photo's:
(I should probably take a better picture)

l58oDLd.jpg

DNjeX7S.png

aoTLxc1.png

- snip -

He, I also still have a few of those 500 GB Samsung drives. :D

Welcome to the list! :)

Update #1  

Picked up 2 more 3TB TOSHIBA PH3300U on the cheap and this Evercool 5.25" to 3.5" HDD Expansion Unit off Amazon. Also added a noctua 80mm fan suspended behind the drives to help pull the hot air out, the Evercool unit pushes with its own 80mm fan. Previous 8 disk volume was erased and then all 10 disks were setup in another RaidZ2 volume. Was reading this a more optimal amount of drives for RaidZ2 anyway so it worked out great. I still cant get over how quiet this build turned out even with all the drives and fans, really pleased so far and extremely happy I finally built a dedicated server.

Original Post Click Here

New Specs Below:

30TB Advertised, I am using a RaidZ2 10 disk volume for 21.8TB actual usable space. RaidZ2 provides 2 disks of parity so fairly safe in the event of a drive failure. Possibly might try RaidZ3 in the future.

FreeNas is running off a 16GB USB 2.0 drive

CASE: Fractal Design R5 Black No window / Evercool 5.25" to 3.5" HDD Expansion Unit
PSU: Corsair CS450M GOLD Certified
MB: Supermicro X10SLL-F 
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4GHz 
HS: Noctua NH-U9S 2x Noctua 92mm Fans
RAM: 32GB Crucial DDR3 ECC 4x8GB
RAID CARD 1: LSI 9211-8i flashed with P16IT Firmware
HDD: 10x TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB 7200 RPM

Fans: 2x Fractal 140mm / 3x Noctua 140mm /2x Noctua 120mm / 1x Noctua 80mm / 1x Evercool 80mm

FreeNas%20Update%202_zpsdiuplvt6.jpg

FreeNas%20Update%201_zpscmiaucnk.jpg

FreeNas%20Update%203_zpscbgn7pkw.jpg

Time to join, methinks.  32.5TB

Do you rip your blu-rays on another PC and just transfer them over to your NAS?