I see you finally got around to building it!

Looks good, but the case really doesn't suit it as a server imo.

(can't wait till I get my 4TB drives!)

I did indeed. At least, partially.

And yeah, I tend to concur. I like the Define R4, but it's not the best case for this kind of

thing - it's huge for the number of drives you can fit in it. But, it'll do me for a while until

I can afford to buy myself a proper server. :D

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I repeat: dat epic SSD mount

Certainly one of my favourite features of SSDs.

I believe that photo is a bit outdated though, got more drives now so I think the SSD has been moved to the 5.25" bays. Similarly mounted though. And my Desktop has 3 SSDs also similarly hanging in the 5.25" bays. Keep planning to get proper mounting to show off the SSDs but never have the time or the budget to spend on it.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

Further update to this;

I am now running an I5 -3570K rather than my I3-3225.

Ive moved over from flex raid (snapshot raid) to transparent raid (real time raid)

Still running a Raid 6 equivilent of 2 parity disks

However i now have

1 x 1TB landing drive

2 x 2TB in the pool

11 x 3TB 9 data and 2 parity

This brings my total up from 26TB to 37TB :)

What are you using for your landing drive? And does it make a significant difference to performance? Wondering if an SSD is necessary or whether I should just repurpose a 1TB WD Black for it

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

Hardware

CASE: IBM x3400 Server Chassis

PSU: 2x 1000W IBM x3400 PSU

MB: IBM M97IP

CPU: Xeon E5405 @ 2.00Ghz

HS: Stock IBM

RAM: 2GB SAMSUNG ECC 2Rx8 RAM

RAID CARD (Not in use): IBM ServeRAID 8k

OS DRIVE: Lexar 8GB USB Drive

HDD1-3: Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000

Software and Configuration

This is an old server from some company. Because the RAID card can't handle 4TB drives it's currently running in software RAID managed by a Lubuntu Live USB running from that 8GB USB drive. 

It is using mdadm to run the drives in RAID 5 and so I end up with about 7.3TB of usable space. I have 7.27TB as a Samba Shared NTFS partition

Usage

I only booted the system up today. It will probably be used as a back up and media server, and an easy way to share data between all my devices. 

Backup

This server is the back up system. Any important files will also be stored on my external 2TB drive hooked up to my main rig and the internal 2TB drives on that rig and/or another 1TB external drive. 

Additional Info

When I configured this server I was hoping that the RAID card would be able to run those 4TB drives, but it turned out it can max take 2TB drives. It is quite an old server and has a rather high power usage, about 200W when rebuilding my RAID array. I might look for some Adaptec Firmware for the RAID card to enable 4TB drive use

Photo's

7tTYgKV.png

fPzKwih.jpg

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

What are you using for your landing drive? And does it make a significant difference to performance? Wondering if an SSD is necessary or whether I should just repurpose a 1TB WD Black for it

I am using a 1TB black. Yes it does make a difference get full speed 70MB/s when moving stuff to the array then it slowly trickles off the landing disk to the array. :)

Boris

Hardware

CASE: Antec 900

PSU: Antec Trupower 

MB: Supermicro X9-SCM-FO

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 

HS: Silenx Tower HS (no fan)

RAM: 16GB Kingston 4x4GB DDR3-1333 CL9 ECC

RAID CARD 1: IBM M1015 (not flashed with 9211-it firmware)

HDD 1: 5x 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001

HDD 2: 3x 1TB Seagate ST31000524AS

HDD 3: 2x 500GB Seagate ST3500418AS

RAID 1: 500GB 2x500GB md RAID1 (system LVM vg0)

RAID 2: 12TB 5x3TB md RAID5 (backup for mrbig)

RAID 3: 1.8TB 3x1TB md RAID5 (currently unused LVM pv, may be extension for vg0, or new volume group for virtual machines)

Software and Configuration

Running Debian (Sid) Linux, with a primary 5x3TB md RAID5 array, and a secondary 3x1TB RAID5.

Usage

Backup for Mr Big's "data" volume.

Backup

Primary RAID5 Array is NOT backed up, it IS the backup.

Secondary RAID1 Array is used as the system drive, and as a destination for the nightly rsnapshot backups of all machines on my lan.

Rsnapshot backups are duplicated to two (or will be, currently just one, need to fix the S3 destination) remote sites.

note, formatting looks a little borked in the preview, but is fine in the editor, not sure what's up there?

Some recent news, I had a 3TB Seagate spew some errors in Boris, so I've picked up 2 new WD Reds, one to replace the seagate with errors, and another as spare (I might put it in as a spare, or raid6 mode).

Basically, A warning to anyone with 3TB Seagates. They have about a 50% chance of failure. You may or may not want to just start proactively replacing them if you find good deals on 3-4 TB drives. Also, ALL 3TB drives seem to be less reliable than 2 or 4TB drives according to Backblaze. May want to steer clear of 3TiBers completely. I for one will not be buying any new 3TB drives to /extend/ any arrays. I will only buy them for replacements, and only ones with "decent" failure rates and reviews (AKA: not Seagates).

The good news is 4TB seagate drives actually seem to be holding out well against HGST and WD drives, so that's something. If/When i need a proper upgrade, I'll jump to 4TB drives or greater. I still have a ton of room left on my array, and I expect to not need to expand for a couple years at least.

They have about a 50% chance of failure. 

Uhm, what are you talking about? Based on what? and over what time?

That is completely incorrect and makes no sense. 

lol from personal experience, it's actually pretty spot on.

4/8 died on me within 2 years. 

Checkout Update2 in my sig for more info

lol from personal experience, it's actually pretty spot on.

4/8 died on me within 2 years.

Checkout Update2 in my sig for more info

You got it lucky, i think I have a 100% failure rate of the Seagates from a couple of years ago. Somehow the switch to 1TB platters broke their reliability. I still have a 6-7 year Seagate 2TB that refuses to die though.

I'm sure over a larger sample size the failure rates aren't as extreme, but it just doesn't seen as low as it should be

You got it lucky, i think I have a 100% failure rate of the Seagates from a couple of years ago. Somehow the switch to 1TB platters broke their reliability. I still have a 6-7 year Seagate 2TB that refuses to die though.

I'm sure over a larger sample size the failure rates aren't as extreme, but it just doesn't seen as low as it should be

yeah their 7200.11 drives screwed me as well. I bought 6 of those. The updated firmware was nothing more than a glorified band-aid. 

They were actually the very first drives I built an array with. I ran the 6 of them in RAID5 using mdadm which played nice whenever a drive would time-out. If I put any of the drives in a windows environment the entire OS would hang and wait for a disk to come back online. 

According to a large consumer of harddrives: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/ 

Newegg's ratings for them are atrocious and I had two or three drop out of my backup array on a whim. They started behaving a bit better after a firmware update, but one still decided to chuck uncorrectable errors at me. They are only a year old, and haven't actually seen any real use the entire time, I was too busy to set them up and use them properly, so for part of the time they sat disconnected, and other part, just in an empty software raid5. And they still encountered errors that dropped them from the array.

The 2TB seagate disks are better statistically, but I've had incredibly bad luck with them. So far I think 4 out of 8-9 have failed. Crazy to think, but in that 7 disk array, I've had to replace 4 disks so far. I'm hoping they've cleaned up their act, but until i see some real long term life (say the 4TB+ drives manage to last years without serious failure rates in backblaze's reports) from their drives i just won't buy anymore. I had some 320G seagates fail, might have had one or two 640G fail, and 2+ 1TB drives fail. Of course I used to only buy seagates, so my numbers are a bit skewed, but i bet my results would have been better if I bought a mix of drives.

Meanwhile all of my drives are fine :)

All seagate desktop drives, no errors and perfect SMART data.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

It has already been well established that backblaze's seagate data was inherently flawed and was not released in good faith. I'm currently sat about 50ft away from an array comprising nearly 900 seagate 3TB drives, I can assure you, your 50% failure assertion is woefully inaccurate.

I'm on a horse...

Gaming Rig | Storage Server | Virtual Server | HTPC

It has already been well established that backblaze's seagate data was inherently flawed and was not released in good faith. I'm currently sat about 50ft away from an array comprising nearly 900 seagate 3TB drives, I can assure you, your 50% failure assertion is woefully inaccurate.

Are you sure you are using the consumer 3TB versions? Those are the drives we're referring to, ST3000DM001

Hardware
CASE: Silverstone DS380B
PSU: SFX ST45SF-G 450W Full Modular
MB: Asrock C2550D4I
CPU: Intel Atom C2550 2.4 GHz Quad-Core
HS: Stock
RAM: 32GB ECC 4x8GB (Phase 2 will go to 64 GB)
RAID CARD: LSI 9211-8i, flashed with IT firmware
SSD: 64GB Samsung 830 Series SSD
HDD 1: 3x 3TB Mediamax WL3000GSA6472E
HDD 2: 5x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300

Software and Configuration:

Array: 8 x 3TB in RAIDZ2

Usage:
I use this for general storage.

Backup:
This array is backed up to another NAS.

Additional info:
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/342335-ds380b-nas-build/

Photo's:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/342335-ds380b-nas-build/

Interesting, you have some references to back that up? If it wasn't an issue, why would seagate have rushed out what they call "required" firmware updates?

Some recent news, I had a 3TB Seagate spew some errors in Boris, so I've picked up 2 new WD Reds, one to replace the seagate with errors, and another as spare (I might put it in as a spare, or raid6 mode).

Basically, A warning to anyone with 3TB Seagates. They have about a 50% chance of failure. You may or may not want to just start proactively replacing them if you find good deals on 3-4 TB drives. Also, ALL 3TB drives seem to be less reliable than 2 or 4TB drives according to Backblaze. May want to steer clear of 3TiBers completely. I for one will not be buying any new 3TB drives to /extend/ any arrays. I will only buy them for replacements, and only ones with "decent" failure rates and reviews (AKA: not Seagates).

The good news is 4TB seagate drives actually seem to be holding out well against HGST and WD drives, so that's something. If/When i need a proper upgrade, I'll jump to 4TB drives or greater. I still have a ton of room left on my array, and I expect to not need to expand for a couple years at least.

According to a large consumer of harddrives: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/ 

Newegg's ratings for them are atrocious and I had two or three drop out of my backup array on a whim. They started behaving a bit better after a firmware update, but one still decided to chuck uncorrectable errors at me. They are only a year old, and haven't actually seen any real use the entire time, I was too busy to set them up and use them properly, so for part of the time they sat disconnected, and other part, just in an empty software raid5. And they still encountered errors that dropped them from the array.

The 2TB seagate disks are better statistically, but I've had incredibly bad luck with them. So far I think 4 out of 8-9 have failed. Crazy to think, but in that 7 disk array, I've had to replace 4 disks so far. I'm hoping they've cleaned up their act, but until i see some real long term life (say the 4TB+ drives manage to last years without serious failure rates in backblaze's reports) from their drives i just won't buy anymore. I had some 320G seagates fail, might have had one or two 640G fail, and 2+ 1TB drives fail. Of course I used to only buy seagates, so my numbers are a bit skewed, but i bet my results would have been better if I bought a mix of drives.

Keep in mind Backblaze's methodology is extremely flawed, and I would not use it as a reliable reference. 

Ah yes, that infamous Backblaze dataset. It is interesting raw data, yes, but it really

should have been processed by professional statisticians before being released to the

general public. Raw data is raw data, nothing inherently wrong with that, but it really

doesn't say all that much in and of itself without taking into account all the various

variabilities which occurred during the gathering of this dataset. But unfortunately,

Backblaze didn't bother doing that.

Anyway, I shall just post the link to a thread in which return rates for various hardware

components were given to a French hardware site by a French retailer.

The HDD section specifically (numbers in parentheses are numbers from previous dataset):

- Toshiba 1,15%

- Seagate 1,44% (vs 1,65%)

- Western 1,55% (vs 1,44%)

- Samsung 2,24% (vs 1,30%)

- Hitachi 2,40% (vs 3,45%)

Data is from 2013.

Link to thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/108284-huge-list-of-failure-rates-on-pc-components-french-but-i-translated-nearly-everything/

Look at it this way: If there really was a serious problem with any one HDD manufacturer's

quality, they would long ago have lost all OEM contracts (just imagine Dell or HP buying

a few million drives and having a quarter of them fail, that HDD company would lose that

contract faster than they could say "lawsuit"), and since that's where the big money is,

they would have gone out of business sooner rather than later. Since that hasn't happened

so far, we can quite safely assume that for the most part there are no major faults with

any specific manufacturer. They might on occasion screw up, but by and large, there really

isn't that much of a difference between manufacturers these days.

In the end, you're just as likely to get dead drives from any company, personally, I've only ever had 1 HDD fail on me and it was a WD Caviar Blue 1TB after 1 year. Does that mean I'll never buy WD again? Nope. I also have 4 Seagate NAS drives that have been running (perfectly) for a total of over 20,000 drive hours (about 9 months of 24/7 use for 2 and 7 months of 24/7 for the other 2) and none have died.

EDIT: No need to paraphrase! Alp's quote is now pasted here.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Hay Everyone i Though I show You my Server ;)

And Sorry for my really bad English but is not my Native language

UPDATE 1

I Updated some of the specs due to failure and some thinks what i have planned what i changed i marked with *xxxxx*

Hardware
CASE: MS-Tech CA-0210 Midi Tower
PSU: *Corsair CS Series 850 Watt*
MB: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 T1100 Black Edition
HS: *Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. B Tower Kühler*
*RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600*
RAID CARD 1: Dell PERC 5/i
RAID CARD 2: Cheap No Name 4 Port Sata + 1 Pata
HDD 1: 5x 2TB Seagete ST2000DM001
HDD 2: 1x 2TB Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
HDD 3: 2x 500GB Hitachi (I don't remember the Model)
*SSD 1: 4x 250GB SanDisk SSD*

Total RAW Capacity :14,5TB
Total Usable Capacity : 12,1TB

Software and Configuration:

*I Use Synology DiskStation as Main System with Virtalbox and a Web Frontent to virtualise the Servers and the Test Clients etc I need.
For the Storage i have all 2 TB Drives in RAID 0 .
Then i have a Win 2012R2 VM for my AD and RIS and also Acronis Backup and Restore Server to back up all my PC´s to my 2x 500GB RAID 0.
All the VM run of 4x 250 GB SSD in RAID 0.
The main Use fort he Server is Data Storage and Backup Storage and VM Testing.
But in the Future I would Like to Change some Things oft he Hardware.

Usage:
The main Use for the Server is Data and Media Storage and Backup Storage also VM Testing.

Backup:
All my Drives are in RAID 0 and I have no Internal Backup but
I have 5x 5TB External HDD´s by my Fathers House for Backup the complet Server every 2 Month.

Additional info:
I'm using the AMD processor because it was a leftover from a previous PC, but i have many plans to this Machine.
Some Ideas i have are:

A Proper Fan Splitter
Another MoBo (Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 AMD 990FX) and a PCIEx1 Graphics Card (1024MB Club 3D Radeon R5 230 Noiseless )
Matching 32GB DDR 1600MHz Ram
2 more Dell Perc 5/i + FanMod
1x ICY BOX IB-543SSK and 1x 545SSK
8 – 10x 2TB Seagete ST2000DM001
Change the Data raid from RAID 0 to RAID 5 or RAID 6

I Would Like to Hear you Thoughts to My System.
I know this Config is Very Special but is´t what I need!

Thanks for Reading ;)

Photo's:

Hear are some Pics i have taken While i redone the Cable Management

(Girlfrend for Scale)

snip

Think it will go something like this:

lehman_bros_1.gif

Will be fine for a good while but will end up crashing and burning.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

@Sousuke and @MrBucket101

Don't forget i have an Offside Backup I do regularly

From 10 Drives i only lost 2 in 4 years and round about 100 GB of non Important Data.
My Important Data are Mirrored to a 4 TB Cloud on a Root Server

@Sousuke and @MrBucket101

Don't forget i have an Offside Backup I do regularly

From 10 Drives i only lost 2 in 4 years and round about 100 GB of non Important Data.

My Important Data are Mirrored to a 4 TB Cloud on a Root Server

Was only kidding anyway, I thought that you would have offsite backups when you said you had no internal backups.

RAID 0 is known as Striping however other people in the tech industry call it Scary RAID as all you need is a small error or a single drive failure to bring the array down. However I am sure you knew that anyway :lol: I'd only risk RAID 0 on an SSD Array which is backed up nightly. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage