There's a guy on there with 0.96PB of home storage...

What the actual fuck. Guy needs to calm down a bit. He's surely got some sort of connection or he's using a huge office array or something. One person does not need a petabyte of content surely.

Never mind calm down, I just need to update that post, I'm around 1.4PB now, no office array all home storage on regular consumer hardware,

worth mentioning I got a little discount on some of the drives through work and used my office 10Gbit pipe to fill most of them though.

As for need, none of us need these storage arrays but it's fun to say things like "I have a copy of any movie you can name."

Never mind calm down, I just need to update that post, I'm around 1.4PB now, no office array all home storage on regular consumer hardware,

worth mentioning I got a little discount on some of the drives through work and used my office 10Gbit pipe to fill most of them though.

As for need, none of us need these storage arrays but it's fun to say things like "I have a copy of any movie you can name."

Pics or it didn't happen  :ph34r:

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

Create a post here :D Bump this list up :D

That's insane man :lol: And it would be fun to say that haha.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Update: now with 30% more gen storage!

• removed 4 1.5TB drives and a 2TB drive
  • added 6 3TB drives

Current drive count:

•   2x Seagate ST3000DM001
  •   12x Toshiba DT01ACA300

Also, the list seems to have me as using 2012R2, should be 2008R2.

new_open.jpg

ssd isn't mounted properly yet, need to dig up another 5.25" adapter for it... sitting on top of the Cooler Master 4-in-3 for now.

NewAreca.png

- snip -

Excellent, welcome. You wouldn't have any pics of the machines

themselves by any chance? ;)

Well, feel free to post your system(s)... :D

- snip -

Updated and fixed the OS. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Excellent, welcome. You wouldn't have any pics of the machines

themselves by any chance? ;)

Infact I do of the new rig, but not of the server itself (not overly spectacular anyway) - but will take some if I get the chance to shut it down at some point.

Will post the together when I have proper ones of both as well as my complete setup / desk.

Also, the list seems to have me as using 2012R2, should be 2008R2.

Gave 2012 a fair chance, but it's absolutely horrible.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

Woohoo just got offered a firmware development job at HGST. Hopefully it comes with a nice employee discount on drives and I can shoot for #1 on the list.

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

Woohoo just got offered a firmware development job at HGST. Hopefully it comes with a nice employee discount on drives and I can shoot for #1 on the list.

Don't forget you companies backers (Hitachi drive user since 2004, heck that one is still working!)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Update for my rig, link to build log post here.

The server now has 4x 3TB Seagate NAS drives and a 1TB WD Blue drive (vs. 2x 3TB NAS drives and the 1TB Blue). The server is also now running mdadm and LVM in raid 6.

Inaugural Windows Explorer photo:

windows-explorer.png

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Hardware

CASE: NZXT Tempest 210 Black Steel Mid Tower
PSU: Corsair CX600 80 plus Bronze (non modular)
MB: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-4130 Zambezi Quad-Core 3.8GHz
HS: Stock AMD heatsink
RAM: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unregistered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model CT2KIT51272BD1339
HDD 1: 6x Seagate NAS HDD ST3000VN000 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

Software and Configuration:
I am running Freenas and running in RAID-Z2. Total drive space of 18 TB after the raid that leaves 10.6TB useable.

Usage:
Anime storage. Game ISO storage/steam backup. FTP. My main rig, and laptop also do automated backups to this machine. Roughly 4.5 TB used currently.
Backup:
No offsite backup as my upload speed is terrible. If my connection improves I will add offsite.

Additional info:
I do run a PLEX server off it when I need it. Freenas is already a RAM hungry little OS though. Normally 8GB is enough for it. When you fire up the PLEX service though it starts to slug a little. Need to add another 8GB.

Photo's:

QwzlWjm.jpg
MbHV5nG.png

More photos and drive screenshots can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/3yShQ Edited by alpenwasser
inserted pics into post :)

Hardware
CASE: fractal design mini
PSU: Corsair CX 430 (old trusty, have like 5 of these things never had one quite)
MB: gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

CPU: Intel celeron g530
HS: Stock intel heatsink
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333
RAID CARD 1: none yet(need to work on this)
SSD: none
HDD 1: 4x 2TB wd red
HDD 2: 2x 2TB wd black(soon to be replaced with wd reds)

My server is running windows home server 2011 and im currently not using raid.

Usage:
backups,movies,my movies server,plex server

Backup:
right now I have a 3 tb external drive (server not full yet.still got ALLOT of movies to go)

Additional info:
the celeron has been a great processor.I just started messing with plex and while it can transcode 1-2 steams well enough it pegs the cpu so I may upgrade .

Photo's:

attached

Total:12TB(15 w/ backup drive)

post-10071-0-81770300-1414035385_thumb.j

post-10071-0-03996900-1414035471_thumb.j

Update for my rig, link to build log post here.

The server now has 4x 3TB Seagate NAS drives and a 1TB WD Blue drive (vs. 2x 3TB NAS drives and the 1TB Blue). The server is also now running mdadm and LVM in raid 6.

Excellent, welcome to the list proper! :D

-snip-

Splendid, welcome to the list! I've taken the liberty of adding two

pictures from your imgr link directly to the post for the people too

lazy to click the link. ;)

- snip -

And with you we are officially at 70 systems 10 TB and larger! throw-happy.gif

@looney, jubilate!

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hardware
CASE: Silverstone GD07 HTPC
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 380W Bronze
MB: MSI FM2 A55M E33
CPU: AMD A10-5700
HS: Noctua NH-L9a Low Profile CPU Cooler
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866
RAID CARD 1: Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 8 Channel 6GB/S SAS/SATA PCI-E Controller Card
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HDD 1: 4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD Green, 1 x 2TB WD Green (23TB total, 17TB useable)

This is my media centre PC running Windows 7 home.  I'm using FlexRAID for my array, pictures below.

Usage:
I ran out of both hard drive and physical space in my FreeNAS server so I added to my htpc instead.  I'm using it to store my blu-ray and DVD movies and TV series

Additional info:
The media centre is using an AMD A10 because I didn't want to deal with a video card but wanted to do some light gaming on the side.  The system automatically launches XBMC and draws 105W at full load from the wall.

Photos:

339lxug.jpg

The removable hard drive rack.

20jo6dj.jpg

Rack installed, cable management is difficult in this case.

2mzaxwn.jpg

The media centre.

29pd8aa.jpg

FlexRAID

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

- snip -

Damn, those Silverstone boxes really do look nice. Imma need to get

me one of those one day. :D

Question: Can a storage system count if it's spread across multiple physical appliances?

For example, if we have external JBODs or a clustered storage system (e.g. vSAN).

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Question: Can a storage system count if it's spread across multiple physical appliances?

For example, if we have external JBODs or a clustered storage system (e.g. vSAN).

Looney's original criterion is that it's all running off of a single

motherboard, not sure how he wants to handle this. @looney?

It should or does as everyone's storage is in a different location and then who's to know if you have a JBOD in one room and the other across the globe?

It should or does as everyone's storage is in a different location and then who's to know if you have a JBOD in one room and the other across the globe?

Within reason, of course.

Clustered file systems can be spread across multiple sites, but I was thinking of a system where the hosts are in the same rack, like 3 vSAN servers providing virtual datastores or a server with multiple JBODs connected by external cabling.

Otherwise, we're limited to a mere 144 TB for a 24-drive case :P

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Well, quite a few users now have more than one system in the list,

so at some point (i.e. when I get the time ;)) I think I might add

a ranking list based on per-user total capacity in addition to the

per-system list we have now.

EDIT:

Also, there's at least one guy who has a system with a main box

and a second case running off a SAS expander, so you're not limited

to 24 drives on one M/B. :D

Within reason, of course.

Clustered file systems can be spread across multiple sites, but I was thinking of a system where the hosts are in the same rack, like 3 vSAN servers providing virtual datastores or a server with multiple JBODs connected by external cabling.

Its all fair game, and 24 drive cases are not the max (see below, and see my profile gallery)

Well, quite a few users now have more than one system in the list,

so at some point (i.e. when I get the time ;)) I think I might add

a ranking list based on per-user total capacity in addition to the

per-system list we have now.

EDIT:

Also, there's at least one guy who has a system with a main box

and a second case running off a SAS expander, so you're not limited

to 24 drives on one M/B. :D

Heck we have defaulted for the 45/44 drive enclosure from SuperMicro, 24 in the front and 21/20 in at the rear, we only use it for a JBOD so no need for the mobo tray (bottom of right side image):

supermicro_storage_2-500x263.jpg

Then there's the beast! 90 Drives, two per drive tray:

SC847DE16-R2K02JBOD_rear_spec.jpg   SC847DE16-R2K02JBOD_spec.jpg

So 90 x 8TB (using the latest 8TB drives) = 760 TB of storage, way way more than the 24 drive bay :P

• 2 weeks later...

just had a ST3000  die on me... it died instantly .

bought 2x 4TB RED as replacement. next month the other ST3000 will be replaced with a 4TB RED.

so I am up to 69TB for now :D

Also I am updating my config :

Ri-vier 24bay 4U case.

and a Intel Quad Port gigabit adapter.

Main Rig : i7 5960X - 16GB DDR4 LPX 2400mhz - Asus Rampage V - 980GTX Ti - AX1200i - 650D - H110 - 1TB 840 EVO SSD - 30 inch HP 1600p IPS + 2xHP 20 inch 1600x1200 PLP setup! - Oculus DK2 - Logitech G502 - Corsair K70 RGB - Fanatec GT3 Wheel

i7 3930K - 16GB DDR3 2133mhz - Asus Rampage IV - 2 x 680GTX - AX850 - 550D - H100i - 256GB 830 Pro SSD - 2713HM 1440p IPS - G5 -

i5 3570K - MSI SLI Z87 motherboard - 4GB Corsair 1600mhz - Adaptec 31205 - Dell Perc 5/i - Intel Quad PT1000 Gigabit Network Card - Loads of 4TB RED's - +-70tb total storrage - HX850watts - Ri-Vier 24bay 4 U case

- snip -

- snip -

Yes, moar storage!!! :D

Apologies for the delay, I'm a bit in exam stress at the moment, should get

around to updating the list in the coming few days.