Nice Server.

Man the Prodigy can hold a lot :)

Tanks ;) 

Especially when you notice that there is space for another 3 2,5" disks in there :D If it could fit slightly bigger PSU's it would be perfect^^

I have been using Arch since spring 2011, and so far I've been very

happy. I've only had two cases of serious breakage, one in summer

2011 and now this. Unfortunately I don't really have the time (and

motivation, TBH ) to invest hours upon hours into troubleshooting

at the moment, so I might just postpone the update, see if it's fixed

in a few weeks. Then again, things might get even worse... :D

Yeah I know that problem (motivation) -> You are fortune, you can sit out your problem...mine was the installation (still don't know what went wrong with that bootloader :D ) But I fortunately have an Arch-Guru as a friend so he came by and fixed it in a few minutes...

Hope to be posting my new server system soon. I'll be adding LSI 9271-4i, Intel RES2SV240 and eight 3 TB WD Red drives.

excellent.jpg

Also, we now have OS statistics. I have yet to do plots for these though,

will add later:

Operating System Family Statistics

Operating System Family        Count        Percentage

Windows                           33            56.90%

Linux                             16            27.59%

*BSD                               9            15.52%

Operating Systems Statistics

Operating System                Count        Percentage

Windows 7                          14            24.14%

FreeNAS                             7            12.07%

Windows Server 2012                 5             8.62%

Ubuntu Linux                        4             6.90%

Windows 8.1                         3             5.17%

Synology OS                         3             5.17%

unRAID                              3             5.17%

Windows 8                           3             5.17%

Windows Home Server 2011            2             3.45%

Linux Mint                          2             3.45%

Windows Server 2008 R2              2             3.45%

Arch Linux                          2             3.45%

NAS4Free                            1             1.72%

Drobo OS                            1             1.72%

Windows Server 2012 R2              1             1.72%

Windows (unspecified)               1             1.72%

Debian Linux                        1             1.72%

Gentoo Linux                        1             1.72%

ZFSGuru                             1             1.72%

OpenMediaVault                      1             1.72%

Ubuntu is more popular than Win 8. :D

Hm, just noticed that the total sum of the OS is not

57, lol.

EDIT: Fixed it. :)

Will work on that tomorrow though.

Edited by alpenwasser

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Hardware
CASE: Lian-Li Q25B
PSU: SilverStone ST45SF-G

MOTHERBOARD: MSI B85I

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220T

CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-L9i

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz

RAID CARD 1: LSI SAS 9211-8i flashed to IT-mode
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB
HDD 1: 4 x 4TB Seagate ST4000VN000

CASE FAN 1: 1 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM

CASE FAN 2: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM

Software and Configuration:

My server is running Debian 7.4 and is setup as headless.

All 4 Seagate HDDs is configured as a software RAID 6 and mdadm serves as the software RAID controller.

RAID config: mdadm with 4 x 4TB in RAID6

RAID hot spare: N/A

File system: XFS for the RAID, and ext4 for the OS
File system capacity RAW: 16TB

File system capacity RAID6: 8TB

Usage:
I use my server primarily to store and share movies, music and TV shows.

It acts as a media server for the different devices around the house. When I get my own flat in 2 months it will only share to very few devices.

The server itself doesn't do any transcoding, it only shares the files to the devices around the house.

Eventually I'll set up a Plex server so I'll be able to stream the content from my iPhone and iPad.

Backup:

The only thing I have back-up of is family pictures as it's the only content that I won't be able to restore in case of a failure.

The pictures are stored on the server and then shared to my main rigs SSD. The plan is that my server will make a back-up to my main rig once a month or, if possible, every time any changes are made to /Storage/Pictures.

Besides from that I have two old 320GB WD HDDs from my old main rig, where I've copied /Storage/Pictures to, then disconnected those two HDDs, placed them in antistatic bags and then in box with some foam around the HDD. In case condensation should happen over the time I've put a small bag that absorb the water.

The two HDDs will be pretty much useless if both are stored at the same location, so therefore I've dropped one at my grandparents house and kept one at my own place. If there's a fire I'll be able to get the photos out of the house safe and quickly, that's the plan at least.

Additional info:
I know some of you have been following my build log and it's kind of stalled.

There are a few reasons why that is, but it's primarily because now it's working and I don't have as much time to begin on the sleeving.

Once I get into the routine with University and I get my own place in 2 months time, then I'll begin.

Photo's:

If you're interested you can see all the pictures of my build here or if you want to browse through the entire build log you can find a link to that in my signature or for the lazy ones.

NASciR2.jpg

crMzxQ6.jpg56WGGJc.jpg?1

HBn0lKh.jpg

i4oaS0M.jpg

NQQLGBL.jpg

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

That systems looks SO clean :)

I really like the looks of it as well.

The internal is somewhat clean as well, not as clean as I like but that will be fixed eventually.

Also, why did you decide to go with RAID 6 on only four drives? Seems like a bit of a waste, no?

Yeah, maybe I should have explained that.

I'm expecting to expand my RAID array further once I've used all the space.

And as you know from know on when I add a drive to the array, all of it will be usable storage.

I don't know how many drives I will through in that case in total. I'm a bit worried that the two drives that can be mounted in the bottom wont get enough air.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

-snip-

Finally! :P

Just noticed that we only need two more 3 TB HDDs to get to 1600 TB...

Also, we now have OS statistics plots:

Operating System Family Statistics

Operating System Family        Count        Percentage

Windows                           31            52.54%

GNU/Linux                         19            32.20%

*BSD                               9            15.25%

Operating Systems Statistics

Operating System                Count        Percentage

Windows 7                          14            23.73%

FreeNAS                             7            11.86%

Windows Server 2012                 5             8.47%

Ubuntu Linux                        4             6.78%

Synology OS                         3             5.08%

Windows 8                           3             5.08%

Windows 8.1                         3             5.08%

unRAID                              3             5.08%

Arch Linux                          2             3.39%

Windows Server 2008 R2              2             3.39%

Debian Linux                        2             3.39%

Windows Home Server 2011            2             3.39%

Linux Mint                          2             3.39%

Windows Server 2012 R2              1             1.69%

NAS4Free                            1             1.69%

Windows (unspecified)               1             1.69%

OpenMediaVault                      1             1.69%

ZFSGuru                             1             1.69%

Drobo OS                            1             1.69%

Gentoo Linux                        1             1.69%

2014-08-31--15-13-26--os_family_stats.pn

2014-08-31--15-13-26--os_stats.png

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'm really surprised that we have such an amount of Windows here  :huh:

Haha, yeah Windows is doing pretty well.

But, considering that most of those setups are probably made by people

who are using Windows as their main operating system and are primarily

used to that, I think the UNIX-like side of things is actually doing

pretty well. I mean, if you just want to share some files, a desktop

windows system will do just fine for most home users.

If you leave out desktop windows systems though, things are a bit more

balanced. So among those systems actually using a server OS (I'm counting

desktop Linux distros as well, since if you install the right packages

you can make a server-ish OS out of pretty much any Linux OS without

too much difficulty), the balance between Windows and UNIX-like systems

is rather different.

Hm, come to think of it, maybe I could represent that as well somehow.

Will need to tinker around a bit when I get the time.

Haha, yeah Windows is doing pretty well.

But, considering that most of those setups are probably made by people

who are using Windows as their main operating system and are primarily

used to that, I think the UNIX-like side of things is actually doing

pretty well. I mean, if you just want to share some files, a desktop

windows system will do just fine for most home users.

If you leave out desktop windows systems though, things are a bit more

balanced. So among those systems actually using a server OS (I'm counting

desktop Linux distros as well, since if you install the right packages

you can make a server-ish OS out of pretty much any Linux OS without

too much difficulty), the balance between Windows and UNIX-like systems

is rather different.

What are the most important differences between the desktop and server versions of windows? I can get a Windows Server License free as a student and move my home server over to that, but I'm not sure if its worth the effort moving everything over.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

What are the most important differences between the desktop and server versions of windows? I can get a Windows Server License free as a student and move my home server over to that, but I'm not sure if its worth the effort moving everything over.

Can't really say personally as I've never used a Win server version,

but I think @Whaler_99 should be able to help you out with that.

Couple of questions first. What do you do with your "home server"? What version is it running now? Is it really Windows Home Server 2008 and you are using drive extender?

Then MAIN difference is that desktop version is geared for that, desktop/application use, customization, flexibility, etc. Windows Server is more designed around "serving", so better background performance for apps, better file sharing support, but not all the support for expandability and devices that the desktop version might support. Windows 8.x and Server 2012 R2 share a lot of the same common components as well, so are very similar in the back end, but what services and extras each has is tailored to the "server" class or "desktop" class.

Windows Server 2012 and R2 edition have support for Storage Spaces, but this is very different from the old Windows Home Server drive extender. Before using it, there are some very pitfalls and issues people need to be aware of.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I have 3TB in my main rig, 3TB in my NAS, a 3TB external drive, 1TB portable external drive and 1TB in my laptop. If only I could fit it all in to one machine to get me on the list. A couple of 3 or 4TB drives and I'll be there. 

I have 3TB in my main rig, 3TB in my NAS, a 3TB external drive, 1TB portable external drive and 1TB in my laptop. If only I could fit it all in to one machine to get me on the list. A couple of 3 or 4TB drives and I'll be there.

Ah yes, the good ol' "distributed storage across several devices"

conundrum. :D

We shall eagerly await your entry. :)

Ah yes, the good ol' "distributed storage across several devices"

conundrum. :D

We shall eagerly await your entry. :)

I have all the other parts to build a server (minus a raid card) so I really do just need the disks. 

I have all the other parts to build a server (minus a raid card) so I really do just need the disks.

Did someone just say "software-raid"? :ph34r:

Did someone just say "software-raid"? :ph34r:

Ssshhh! You'll scare the RAID controllers... :P

I could do software raid initially. It's going to start off as a back up server, so if the motherboard fails or something happens that stops me rebuilding the array it shouldn't matter. There won't be anything critical on the server. I have been looking at some second-hand enterprise raid controllers on ebay. Something like a Dell PERC would be nice. They seem pretty cheap. 

Can't really say personally as I've never used a Win server version,

but I think @Whaler_99 should be able to help you out with that.

Couple of questions first. What do you do with your "home server"? What version is it running now? Is it really Windows Home Server 2008 and you are using drive extender?

Then MAIN difference is that desktop version is geared for that, desktop/application use, customization, flexibility, etc. Windows Server is more designed around "serving", so better background performance for apps, better file sharing support, but not all the support for expandability and devices that the desktop version might support. Windows 8.x and Server 2012 R2 share a lot of the same common components as well, so are very similar in the back end, but what services and extras each has is tailored to the "server" class or "desktop" class.

Windows Server 2012 and R2 edition have support for Storage Spaces, but this is very different from the old Windows Home Server drive extender. Before using it, there are some very pitfalls and issues people need to be aware of.

Thanks for the info.

Well, my home server is currently running FlexRAID Transparent RAID on top of Windows 8. It acts as backup for multiple Windows Computer(Just using Windows Backup), serves Music to multiple computers(through iTunes, as well as MinimServer), also serves Video(through default network sharing, as well as BubbleUPnP, and Emit for Android, and Airplayit for iOS). I doubt I'd move to Storage Spaces anytime soon, and when I do decide to upgrade, it would likely be to hardware RAID, or a more storage focused OS.

I have also been using it as a web server for a while, with Apache, MySQL and PHP, but I'm trying to move this to another computer to reduce the load/generally better security.

The main thing I see in Windows Server 2012 that may interest me is some of the remote access. I currently use Teamviewer and FTP for remote access to the server, but am open to considering other more stable solutions, like setting up a VPN. I'm assuming that Windows Server 2012 is a lot better for setting up a VPN.

I think the most I'd ever do with this server is have it to backups and storage for my family at home, and then remote storage/access for friends/family while outside. Not really sure that's enough to make a server OS viable

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

Thanks for the info.

Well, my home server is currently running FlexRAID Transparent RAID on top of Windows 8. It acts as backup for multiple Windows Computer(Just using Windows Backup), serves Music to multiple computers(through iTunes, as well as MinimServer), also serves Video(through default network sharing, as well as BubbleUPnP, and Emit for Android, and Airplayit for iOS). I doubt I'd move to Storage Spaces anytime soon, and when I do decide to upgrade, it would likely be to hardware RAID, or a more storage focused OS.

I have also been using it as a web server for a while, with Apache, MySQL and PHP, but I'm trying to move this to another computer to reduce the load/generally better security.

The main thing I see in Windows Server 2012 that may interest me is some of the remote access. I currently use Teamviewer and FTP for remote access to the server, but am open to considering other more stable solutions, like setting up a VPN. I'm assuming that Windows Server 2012 is a lot better for setting up a VPN.

I think the most I'd ever do with this server is have it to backups and storage for my family at home, and then remote storage/access for friends/family while outside. Not really sure that's enough to make a server OS viable

Honestly for remote access to your local systems, something like teamviewer is still pretty sweet and easy. Setting up a VPN in Server 2012 is the same as 2008 and older. You need to open firewall ports, setup IP pools and such. It's not hard per say, but not easy either.

Since you are in the storage show off, this should give you a good idea what people are using. Hardware raid is very expensive and really only needed for enterprise and businesses. A decent raid card will start at about 250 bucks and up and then only do like raid1. For raid5, 6 and above, you need cache modules and mucho bucks. For home use, most of the storage based OS'es running software raid are more then enough. Myself I use unRaid which is very good. Great community support and lots of plugin's for things like web hosting and such. I also have a plex plugin installed to distribute all my media to my family and friends, regardless of the device they use. Very nice. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Softraid is only raid!  :angry:

Hehe... :D

I could do software raid initially. It's going to start off as a back up server, so if the motherboard fails or something happens that stops me rebuilding the array it shouldn't matter. There won't be anything critical on the server. I have been looking at some second-hand enterprise raid controllers on ebay. Something like a Dell PERC would be nice. They seem pretty cheap.

Well, if your motherboard fails, both hardware and software RAID

will in most scenarios be affected the same way. The RAID array

will probably still be intact, but as long as your machine doesn't

run, you obviously can't get at it.

Aside from cost, the main advantage (to me, at least) of software

RAID is that you're not dependent on a RAID controller to get access

to your data. Any machine will be sufficient as long as you can

plug in all the drives from your array and have the right software

on it (which is usually pretty easy to install).

And yes, getting a server pull component from eBay is not a bad

idea actually, I have done that with a few components of mine (CPUs,

RAM, motherboard, and although my host bus adapters were new, they

were significantly cheaper than at my local retailers).