Updated my Sever with +7TB, and changed to a 16 port raid card and I am now running all on raid 6.  

http://linustechtips...topic/?p=414401

update me please!

Done. :)

Btw., if anyone finds any errors in the list, please let me know

so that I can fix my script.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I had copied stevv's google doc and tried to work with that, but there was

always something slightly off about the end result that didn't quite sit

right with me, so in the end I wrote a Perl script into which we plug the

data and which then generates the output you see in the list now.

Yeah, it was ghetto method, and the hyperlinks keep messing up, if not posted a certain way.  I made some edits to the list to make similar OS and Storage type setup naming more structured.   I was hoping there could be some standard chart and submission method the forum could use, and user self sort  (can be useful many of the collections... e.g. build logs, build recommendations, etc).  (At OCN they had iframe in external charts) Anyway.. I digress. 

The new chart looks awesome.  BBCode for the links sure is a lot cleaner!  

correction and other thoughts

- link of item #6 on first post "my build" goes to second post.

- I think the noteworthy builds info might would feel at home at the second post.

My Rigs (past and present)

Yeah, it was ghetto method, and the hyperlinks keep messing up, if not posted a certain way.  I made some edits to the list to make similar OS and Storage type setup naming more structured.   I was hoping there could be some standard chart and submission method the forum could use, and user self sort  (can be useful many of the collections... e.g. build logs, build recommendations, etc).  (At OCN they had iframe in external charts) Anyway.. I digress.

Yeah, it would be nice to have an integrated solution for this, but

at least this way I got to dust off my Perl a bit. Besides, having

a ~500 line script for this (OK, including comments, but still)

is much more geeky. :D

The new chart looks awesome.  BBCode for the links sure is a lot cleaner!

Thanks! Yes, I like to have clean code (I'm a bit of a formatting

neat freak :D ).

correction and other thoughts

- link of item #6 on first post "my build" goes to second post.

- I think the noteworthy builds info might would feel at home at the second post.

Fixed link, and added second list to second post (and the script does

it automatically too, yay! :)).

For those interested: I've made a github repo for the script, which

you can check out here. This should also allow collaborative maintenance

on this thread and make it not just dependent on me. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'm all sad with only 2TB ;)

Well now you have a goal to aspire to. :D

Saving up to do a little Spring cleaning, aside from blowing the dust out i'm looking at replacing 2x 2-port SATA controllers with a single 4-port controller, replacing 2 of the oldest drives, and maybe upgrading the OS (Ubuntu 13.10) to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

I don't need RAID so I'm looking at going with the Startech PEXSAT34 PCI Express controller card. Sticking with WD RED 4TB drives for now. Hopefully, in 3-4 weeks I'll crack the 20TB mark. :D

I've also got a spare Bitfenix Prodigy case that I'm thinking of turning into a backup server for the main file server. This is going to be an expensive Spring/Summer!

I've also got a spare Bitfenix Prodigy case that I'm thinking of turning into a backup server for the main file server. This is going to be an expensive Spring/Summer!

Yeah, it definitely will be, for me as well. :D

Just wait until i finished my build. I will cap at around 36TB once it's done.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

Galxy Server 

Hardware:
CASE: Antec 1200 

PSU: Chieftec A-135 APS-1000C (With replaced fan)

MB: Gigabyte H87M-D3H

CPU: Intel Pentium CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz

HS: Stock Intel heatsink

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333

Network: Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port

RAID CARD: Dell PERC H310 converted to LSI9211-IT mode

OS Drive: WD VelociRaptor 150gb
HDD 1: 3x 4TB WD Red
HDD 2: 2x 4TB Seagate ST4000M000
HDD 3: 1x 2TB WD Green
HDD 4: 2x 500GB WD Black

Software and Configuration:

Array config: Flexraid 5 x 4TB + 1 x 2TB 16.3TB usable (raid5)

Total (RAW) System capacity: 23TB

Usage:
The server is used for storing and streaming media files. As well as some other services like teamspeak and VPN.

Backup:
Pff. Aint got time for that :)

Photo's:

post-15530-0-03647800-1398552862_thumb.j

post-15530-0-55015900-1398552866_thumb.j

post-15530-0-79017800-1398552867.png

- snip -

Nice, enjoy spot #19.

I believe @MG2R will rather like what you've done with the PSU. :D

Also, welcome to the forums!

I will definitely tidy it up :) Just need to finish testing.

The PSU is allot quieter now.

• 2 weeks later...

APOLLO

Build log is here, for those interested.

Hardware
CASE:               InWin PP689
PSU:                Enermax Platimax 600 W
MB:                 Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F
CPU:                2 × Intel Xeon L5630 (quadcore, hyperthreaded)
HS:                 Noctua NH-U9DX - Socket 1366
RAM:                24 GB Hynix DDR3 1333 MHz ECC
HBA CARD 0:         LSI 9211-8i, flashed to IT mode (Tutorial)
HBA CARD 1:         LSI 9211-8i, flashed to IT mode
HBA CARD 2:         LSI 9211-8i, flashed to IT mode
SSD:                Intel 520, 120 GB
HDD 0:              WD VelociRaptor 150 GB (2.5")
HDD 1-3:            Samsung HD103UJ 1 TB F1 × 3
HDD 4-7:            WD RE4 2 TB × 4
HDD 8-13:           WD Red 3 TB × 6

Total Raw Capacity: 29 TB

Software and Configuration:

I'm running three VMs on this machine, one for my personal stuff,
one for my dad's business and one for serving media throughout
our household. All VMs as well as the host are running Arch Linux
as their operating system. It might seem like a bit of an odd choice,
but I've been using it for a few years now and have had very good
experiences with it.

The storage system itself is ZFS.

Network sharing is done via NFS and Samba, depending on target
machine.

My dad's business data is on a three-way mirror, my own data
and the media files are stored on RAIDZ2 pools.

It's a headless machine, all administration and maintenance is
either done via IPMI or SSH.

A diagram of the storage topology (the Velociraptor has been
reassigned to a different purpose in the meantime) below. The
layout is based on @wpirobotbuilder 's excellent thread about
the topic.

(click image for full resolution)
aw--apollo--2014-04-13--storage-topology

A screenshot of the host machine (top left), and the three VMs
in the remaining three corners:

2014-05-10--19-16-33--apollo-vm-overview

Usage:

Personal data, business data and media data. So, a file server.
On a less important scale, as a sandbox for some VM experiments.

Backup:

My personal data is backed up to a JBOD disk on ZEUS. My dad's
business data is also backed up to ZEUS, on another ZFS mirror
(only two-way though). The business data is additionally also
stored on one of my dad's main work machine.

UPDATE, 2014-SEP-01: Bought 6 TB of drive space for ZEUS for

backing up the more important media files.

For those interested: ZEUS

Pictures

aw--apollo--2014-05-10--03--outside.jpeg

aw--apollo--2014-05-10--15--back-side.jp

aw--apollo--2014-05-10--16--front-side.j

Edited by alpenwasser

-snip-

Why do you have 3 HBA cards, wouldn't a SAS expander work? Or does having 3 HBA cards give a performance advantage over a SAS expander and reduce the points of failure?

Why do you have 3 HBA cards, wouldn't a SAS expander work? Or does having 3 HBA cards give a performance advantage over a SAS expander and reduce the points of failure?

Yeah, an expander card would work too. But having three completely

independent HBAs gives me the advantage of being able to lay out my

storage topology in such a fashion that any one of them can fail and

I still have all my data available, whereas since an expander would

be dependent on the HBA, everything would go offline if the HBA were

to fail.

I might still go the expander route at some point and make an external

storage pod for this server to expand it, or something like that.

Aside from that, going with three HBAs instead of with expanders

wasn't really much more expensive, so it doesn't matter that much

from a cost perspective, and after having bought and flashed the

first HBA I knew that that would work, whereas an expander was still

a somewhat unknown variable.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it Drobo's don't qualify for this list. 

I take it Drobo's don't qualify for this list. 

Hm, good question. We have some Synology units, not sure why we should

allow those and not allow Drobos, though I'm not very familiar with Drobos.

@looney, opinions?

Hm, good question. We have some Synology units, not sure why we should

allow those and not allow Drobos, though I'm not very familiar with Drobos.

@looney, opinions?

Drobos are fine by me, always nice to see more options for people to look at when they are building a storage setup.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Drobos are fine by me, always nice to see more options for people to look at when they are building a storage setup.

Agreed. :)

Fire away @MoonSpot.

(First, please no comments about Vista. I hate it too, and have other problems)
(Second, I can't really geek out about specs with this, sorry. It's just the nature of the beast)

Hardware

CASE: Pretty
MB: Custom
CPU: ARM926EJ-S rev 0 (v5l) 189028 kB
RAM: Unicorns
RAID CARD: State Secret

HDD: 5X 2TB WD GREEN Caviar WD20EARS

Configuration:
The 5 Drives are partitioned into one logical drive which are raided in a proprietary fashion called "BeyondRAID".

Usage:
Currently - I use the Drobo for movies, shows, music photos and as data dump site for just about anything. Houses my disc images for ghosting and backups.

Additionally I use it to dump my families data onto if and when they ask for help(and I can't weasel out of it)

Originally - was being used to store raw HD video from MiniDV tapes and their encoded version, while I'd work with an encoded copy locally. (Family wedding videos, never paid...or thanked)
Backup:
...Taking a faith based approch at the moment. I have faith that drive redundancy will carry me through til I can afford to back up.

Additional info:
http://drobo.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/downloads/products/DS-0097-00_drobo-fs.pdf

Photo's:

CeR6EVl.jpg
Frontal with the magnetic access cover, and the volume capacity light strip(blue).
Toonie** and Nexus 7(that is upside down :( ) for scale
**(Toonies available upon request for ONLY $2USD +shipping and handling)
9Vwwkoe.jpg
Side shot of the DroboFS with Nexus 7 Gen 1 for scale. 5 hot swappable drive bays in a steel enclosure. The light beside each bay is a visual indicator of that specific drives health(Green), which changes to yellow and red shortly before you buy a new HDD (It's like magic!)

8GHydSG.jpg
Drives as listed on My Computer, and you can see someone is telling big fat lies >.>. I do not have 48TB of space, but 3 main shares/folders mounted from ONE 10TB logical with 7TB currently useable.

iczQ4TA.jpg6fjDe5T.jpg

xB3EliN.jpg
My Data Dump in the basement, right next to my electrical panel on top of 2 vinyl record players(that are older then I am), sprinkled with silicon packets surrounding it for kicks(to absorb moisture, which isn't something I should have to worry about because...reasons.)

THOUGHTS, PROS & CONS
Not by any means a review, just my thoughts and experience. And since the Drobo FS is no longer available, it doesn't really matter(unless you see the Drobo 5N as a restamped FS.(an SSD accelerator option being the only difference I know of)

Beyond its awesome build quality, I don't know how I feel about Drobo to be honest with you. On one hand the securing of data, idiot proofing, small size and total silence are pretty big plusses. Also the bells and whistles(that I haven't tried or looked into for years) may be of interest to some.
The proprietary aspects I find annoying because, I know they'll eventually bite me in the butt. Like when the controller card eventually fails I'll be on the hook for big money that I don't have, with my data as ransom. Zero hardware modding and upgrades ( except HDD's and some misleading stickers). Or unless you consider buying additional Drobo's to "upgrade" expansion, which would be a salesmans reaching pitch IMO.

Once I mounted the drive on the network, that was really the last I dealt with it. I messed about with it's features for an hour maybe two, but never realy put the time into figuring it's flashy parts. I just dumped files on it, set up computers on LAN to back up onto it, and moved on with life. I've had 2 drives fail, shortly after getting the Drobo. Which is not a poor reflection on WD or Drobo by any means. I bought the drives shortly after the Fukushima tsunami 2011 and vendors were having issues of all kinds. But despite the 2 failed drives, I did not lose any data (failed at separate times, and I replaced the drives ASAP)
So in terms of data being safe and the Drobo doing the most important things I wanted, saving me when it was supposed to then returning to being unnoticeable. It passes with flying colours.

On the opposite side of the spectrum we have the Drobo Dashboard, and it is horrible. It's the program you use to control your Drobo in order to play with the apps, flashy features, and to make important changes in how the Drobo behaves. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice, is intuitive and has the features a normal end user would love to use. It's just flaky in the dumbest of ways. Until recently I have not seen the dashboard work for years. It would never detect the Drobo on the network, even though I have the network drive mapped and was accessing files from it as though it were any server/computer on my network. The dashboard just stopped working. Fortunately I had everything setup and didn’t notice until I wanted to mess around with its features, which very quickly became more trouble then I cared for. So I just lived without it, and partied like I was on windows NT.4.
The solution to the Drobo dashboard was ultimately quite simple. I had to cycle the power on the Drobo. So just hit the power button on your raid, with all your files on it...on purpose. So you can guess how I felt about trying that.
It's probably an unfair criticism of the Dashboard, especially since I haven't given the newest firmware and Dashboard update the benefit of the doubt yet. but it is what it is.

Would I recommend this for an enthusiast or medium to large business? No.
Would I recommend this for small businesses and people who want raid like redundancy but don’t have the expertise, space, or time? Yes.
Affordability, there is better

:Edit: UPDATE

updated the firmware and software, can now see the Drobo every time :)

But seem to have lost the ability for windows to backup to it via scheduled backups

1234931504682.jpg

Ugh now I have to monkey about the interwebs in try and find a solution...but not now, later. doin other stuff

Additionally I use it to dump my families data onto if and when they ask for help(and I can't weasel out of it)

Originally - was being used to store raw HD video from MiniDV tapes and their encoded version, while I'd work with an encoded copy locally. (Family wedding videos, never paid...or thanked)

Ah yes, sounds familiar:

"Hey, you're good with computers, aren't you?"

"I guess?"

"Great. Could you help me with this, that, such and whatnot?"

"Maybe?"

"Excellent. Of course you will do it as a favour because we're family!"

"Uhm..."

"Fantastic!"

A buddy of mine used to work in IT, it got so bad form him that

he started charging money for pretty much everbody (like 60 USD

per hour or sth like that IIRC).

Personally I never really had it that bad since our extended

family isn't very close luckily (and even if we were, I'd definitely

have charged them money or tell them to take their problems

somewhere else TBH). Though mum and grandma don't count since I'd say

they've probably still done more for me than I have done for

them (plus by now they've learned enough to be mostly self-reliant).

At the moment I have a tacit standing arrangement with one of

our neighbours to help her out with computer troubles, in return

I get to use her car when I need to (and it's a pretty nice car -

Porsche Cayenne :D ), so I'd say I can't complain. But one of

my brothers (he works in IT), he's pretty much the go-to guy

for his friends. I've told him to start charging money, but so

far he hasn't had the heart. Ah well, it's his time.

The proprietary aspects I find annoying because, I know they'll eventually bite me in the butt. Like when the controller card eventually fails I'll be on the hook for big money that I don't have, with my data as ransom. Zero hardware modding and upgrades ( except HDD's and some misleading stickers). Or unless you consider buying additional Drobo's to "upgrade" expansion, which would be a salesmans reaching pitch IMO.

That's one thing I'm not too fond about with proprietary NAS units.

Anyway, nice post, and added to list. Welcome to the club! :)

.. Drobo ..

Good write up!

I have used a Drobo before, actually the 1st gen Drobo, the Firewire/USB 2.0  4 Drive unit. I agree its not for big biz, small biz or home use with light use is fine. We, well treated it a bit differently, we had Gigs of daily data (anywhere from 1 to filling it up) depending on what changed or what we needed to backup. Using the dreaded 1.5TB drives we had issues needless to say. At first it ran great, slow but great, it did the job. Issues began when we filled the Drobo up to the top, it was not happy as most systems with a full filesystem, but the thing was we couldn't get much out of what issue it was having. Yes, we knew we were slapping it around but hey how are to you to figure out what it can do and cant' if you don't' beat it up some? Anyway, minimal log info meant we had to guess what it was doing when it did hit an issue, and those warning LED's are rather minimal for anyone wanting to know what was going on. Back to the 1.5TB drives, I think we killed each and everyone at some point, sure those drives had their issues but I think mixing it with the early gen Drobo made for a bad experience. I think if its not pushed nor tested to its limits it might be OK, well I know it is as I know others who use it as their backup NAS and its fine, they don't back up too much daily data nor fill it up daily.

The Drobo RAID is its very cool feature, just pop in drives as you need/acquire them and it spreads the RAID across them at will, the best and cheapest way to grow, yet maintain your RAID (Redundancy) without having to rebuild your whole array and dump your data elsewhere before bringing it back in. I can imagine if Drobo stick a realistic CPU and RAID card (or HA) behind that thing that it will blow some doors and be noticed more if not gain more customers. Because, who doesn't grow and want RAID from day one to the next without having to move the data out and back in for a new  RAID array? For that price range anyway.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

If Drobos and synologys are ok then this shude be in the list too: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/21948-ltt-10tb-storage-show-off-topic/?p=829426 @looney and @alpenwasser

Sorry for the delay. I believe the reason he's not on the list

is because he didn't correctly follow @looney's template. Although

I'm not completely sure if originally the post was different and

he's now edited it somewhat (however it's still not correct according

to the template).

Hardware

CASE: Corsair 500R (black)
PSU: XFX PRO650W 80 PLUS Bronze Semi-Modular
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
HS: Stock Intel Heatsink (waiting on H100i RMA)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 (2x8)

NIC: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Gigabit Network Adapter
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB SSD

HDD 0: Seagate ST4000DM000
HDD 1: Seagate ST4000DM000
HDD 2: Seagate ST4000DM000
HDD 3: Seagate ST4000DM000
HDD 4: Seagate ST4000DM000
HDD 5: Seagate ST4000DM000

Software and Configuration

My server is running Windows 7 Ultimate and I am using FlexRAID for my array. The array consists of 6 Seagate ST4000DM000 drives in RAID 6, so out of the advertised 24TB I end up with 14.5 TiB of usable space.

Usage

I use the server as a media server, running the MediaBrowser 3 server and ServerWMC for live tv.

Backup

The cross your fingers because RAID is not backup backup solution.Once I finish school I plan to buy enough drives to have a complete offsite backup.

Additional info

The 3770k is a bit of overkill, but it can handle several simultaneous transcodes. I also occasionally have it pull Handbrake duty overnight if there is a lot to do and my workstation rig won't be able to finish it.

Photo's

Thoughts, Pros & Cons

MB3 is awesome, if you haven't tried it out, check them out.

Edit 8/15/2014 - Total now 28TB (or 30 including 2 externals)

I have added another 4TB (6 if you include external drives). I picked up a CoolerMaster 4-in-3 adapter (STB-3T4-E3-GP) and an Icy Dock 3.5 to dual 2.5 mounting kit (MB290SP-B), as well as a 2 port SATA controller card (SYBA SY-PEX40039).

The drives are 2 WD 2TB green drives that I had laying around. Added them to the FlexRAID pool as a 4TB spanned DRU.

Also added a 1TB Toshiba USB3 drive for non-media files and whatnot, and a 1TB Matsunichi USB3 to use as a DVR and setup MB3's Live TV using ServerWMC.

The 4 in 3 adapter is really cool, and for the price the Icy Dock adapter is very nice and is very easy to use. The SATA controller card is good enough for my needs now as a media server, but I would like to eventually upgrade that to a nice 8 port IBM or LSI card.

qdkKb5Gl.png

3Vl20jPl.jpg

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |