My Schools has less Storage. ahahaha

My school's total 'dropbox storage' is one 2TB drive. That's for staff and students. :lol: We're all encouraged to have our own means of storage in saying that though :P

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Lost my NAS and 15tb of data :( it was expanding by adding a 4tb disk and then we had a power outage. it was on a UPS and was set up for safe shutdown but when the power came back on there wasn't a volume anymore :(

Lost my NAS and 15tb of data :( it was expanding by adding a 4tb disk and then we had a power outage. it was on a UPS and was set up for safe shutdown but when the power came back on there wasn't a volume anymore :(

Ouch! :(

My condolences. Anything important on it? What kind of NAS was it?

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

That's really bad :(

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Synology unit. I think the main problem is that the volume is spread over 2 (or 3) devices. A DS1511+ and a DX510. It may be recoverable but it's up to Synology. I've had a similar thing happen before and they were able to fix it for me by SSHing in. Hopefully the same applied here in just waiting to hear back, it's been a few days.

Luckily I pulled all the photos off just a week ago so that's the main concern. I can download everything again but being in Aus and only managing a 10mnit connection, it's going to take months :(.

Will let you know what Synology come back with...

Synology unit. I think the main problem is that the volume is spread over 2 (or 3) devices. A DS1511+ and a DX510. It may be recoverable but it's up to Synology. I've had a similar thing happen before and they were able to fix it for me by SSHing in. Hopefully the same applied here in just waiting to hear back, it's been a few days.

Luckily I pulled all the photos off just a week ago so that's the main concern. I can download everything again but being in Aus and only managing a 10mnit connection, it's going to take months :(.

Will let you know what Synology come back with...

Ugh, that's brutal man :( You have my feels. I can't begin to imagine what losing 15TB of data would be like ;~;

I get roughly 8Mbps down and a 200GB monthly limit.

It would take me 6.25 years for me to download all of that data again (adhering to my cap)

It would take me 173 days (if I didn't have a cap)

Woah... :( Fuck life man.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

ITS BACK!!!!

Synology tech support is awesome. The fact that they even look into these issues on devices that are now out of warranty is fantastic. Took a few days but well worth the wait. Love you guys!

I get 10mbit down but am on a true unlimited plan. I managed to get 9999.946gb (64mb off 1tb) in a month when I first switch but even then. If all I did was dl what I lost it would be 15months worth.

But... It's back baby!!!

Now for the disk to finish adding will take like... 8 days :P I'll update once complete :)

ITS BACK!!!!

Synology tech support is awesome. The fact that they even look into these issues on devices that are now out of warranty is fantastic. Took a few days but well worth the wait. Love you guys!

I get 10mbit down but am on a true unlimited plan. I managed to get 9999.946gb (64mb off 1tb) in a month when I first switch but even then. If all I did was dl what I lost it would be 15months worth.

But... It's back baby!!!

Now for the disk to finish adding will take like... 8 days :P I'll update once complete :)

Yaaaayyy :D +1 to Synology Support :lol:

ITS BACK!!!!

Synology tech support is awesome. The fact that they even look into these issues on devices that are now out of warranty is fantastic.

Wow, they really do sound awesome. I probably would not have even thought to ask

them for help, I'd just write off my data as lost to bad luck and move on. This

really does sound like excellent customer support. thumb.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Wow, they really do sound awesome. I probably would not have even thought to ask

Yeah, I heard they where good be I never hear a story first hand.

Good to know when recommending simple nas systems.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Yeah, I heard they where good be I never hear a story first hand.

Good to know when recommending simple nas systems.

Unfortunately I've had a few issues with mine but I still recommend them as the NAS per $.

When I first bought my DS1511+ I started building the raid and the next morning. Nothing. Completely dead. I returned it to the place of purchase and they swapped it out for me.

Then I had an issue where one of my 2tb drives had a slightly different sub model. It was fine when I installed it but after an OS update my NAS freaked out and wouldn't boot. It couldn't read the SMART data on this disk. I didnt want to run without the redundancy so logged a case with Synology. The same day they basically provided me with a hacked OS which just skipped the SMART data check on that disk. A new official OS was out in around 3 days. This sucker!

post-28719-0-10411400-1392208070.jpg

When I bought my DX510 expansion unit, the DS1511+ and DX510 are connected my essentially a secure eSata cable. That is a eSata cable that has screws on either side to sercurly fix it to the port. The one I received was faulty and of course I needed to use it NOW so while I logged a job with the eTailer for a replacement I used just a normal eSata lead. Of course it was going to happen but after the raid was built, 1 volume spread over 2 devices the cable came out corrupting my volume. I logged a case and they were able to log in and repair it for me with no data loss pretty sure within 48 hours as well. WINNING.

Then I had the issue of just recently of a weird power outage issue and corrupting the volume again and I logged a case on the 10/2 @ 2:49am and it was fixed on the 12/2 @ 1:22pm :)

I haver converted my best friend from a QNAP TS410 and now he has a Synology DS1812+ and 3 people at work have DS412's because of my recommendation. I should start getting royalties...

I should start getting royalties...

You really should... :D

This is an awesome support story! I too, would never even think about wiriting to the manufacturer in such a case.

this is what i like to see, companies helping out the consumer after/well after the purchase of their products

may buy some synology products in the future

Looking for a job

Read this while I was at work and got a bit sad on behalf of you. I've only tried to loose 1.5TB of data from a external HDD, which was a pain to try and recover all the data from (redownload what media I could remember storing on it). So 15TB of data would be heartbreaking to recover.

ITS BACK!!!!

But... It's back baby!!!

Then I read this. I had no idea that Synology were able to do this, absolutely amazing and good for you!

There's nothing like having a good experience with a customer support. I think that all of us have tried to talk to a customer support and ended up being left completely helpless, I have tried this a couple of times which sucks. I'm about to RMA a MSI graphics card and they referred me to the dealer where I bought it from, when I contacted the dealer and told them that MSI had referred me to them they told me that they would have nothing to do with me or the card. I asked them what they recommended me to do and he really didn't have an answer for me. I wrote back to MSI, explained the situation and they've now offered me a card swap, awesome!

Anyways, awesome Synology support!

wow, Synology is awesome!

Indeed, I'll definitely keep this in mind when recommending friends storage solutions.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

This is an awesome support story! I too, would never even think about wiriting to the manufacturer in such a case.

this is what i like to see, companies helping out the consumer after/well after the purchase of their products

may buy some synology products in the future

Read this while I was at work and got a bit sad on behalf of you. I've only tried to loose 1.5TB of data from a external HDD, which was a pain to try and recover all the data from (redownload what media I could remember storing on it). So 15TB of data would be heartbreaking to recover.

Then I read this. I had no idea that Synology were able to do this, absolutely amazing and good for you!

There's nothing like having a good experience with a customer support. I think that all of us have tried to talk to a customer support and ended up being left completely helpless, I have tried this a couple of times which sucks. I'm about to RMA a MSI graphics card and they referred me to the dealer where I bought it from, when I contacted the dealer and told them that MSI had referred me to them they told me that they would have nothing to do with me or the card. I asked them what they recommended me to do and he really didn't have an answer for me. I wrote back to MSI, explained the situation and they've now offered me a card swap, awesome!

Anyways, awesome Synology support!

Indeed, I'll definitely keep this in mind when recommending friends storage solutions.

It is a great level of support but its no secret. There tech support page on volumes says if it's angry do this, if its this do this or if you're really up the creek let us know. Someone knowledgeable in linux raid could most likely fix it themselves but i'm not. Just forward a router port so they can SSH in and work their magic :) 

To what point? If I can't carry the data from my NAS to my PC faster than my gigabit connection, then why would I want faster drives?

You could get a quad gigabit network card and a bunch of ssd's in your pc like linus did at his house. Lol. (not positive how many gigabit lanes he has)

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Here's my update, I tried to bold the changes

Hardware

CASE: Lian Li PC-A70F with Lian Li EX-23NB, EX-34NB, Sans Digital HDDRACK5, Mediasonic 4-bay Probox, and 8-bay Probox

PSU: Antec New Truepower 750w (Seasonic rebrand)

MB: Asus P8P67 Pro

CPU: Intel i7-2600k at 4.43ghz

HS: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600

HBA: Intel SASUC8i, some cheap 2x sata pcie x1 card, Mediasonic 2x esata card, Supermicro SAS2LP-MV8

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

HDDs:  2x WD Green 4tb

5x Seagate 4tb

14x WD Green 3TB (1 added)

1x WD Red 3TB

6x WD Green 2TB

1x Seagate 2TB

1x Samsung 2TB

1x 500GB single-platter Seagate (Scratch)

Software and Configuration:

Windows 7 - All JBOD. I use junctions to merge the drives, works perfectly for me. 

Usage:

I use the storage for movies and series, i have media players around the house that access it. I also have a 150/75 home line, so I can stream it to any remote location or to my mobile devices.

Backup:

What is this "backup" you speak of?

Additional info:

Most 3TB drives were bought for $110 or less and most 4TB drives were bought for $130 or less.

Photo's:

8luMswb.jpg

Pgy3Cj7.png

What I find sad in all this is that people have all this storage for home use and my school only has a 70gb network drive. 

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

What I find sad in all this is that people have all this storage for home use and my school only has a 70gb network drive. 

Funding, my friend, funding (or rather, lack of it). At least that would be my guess.

You people make me feel bad about my $25 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB drive.

I think my dad's computer has somewhere around 6-8 TBs of drives or something.

500GB is actually enough for me since I used to have a single 40GB drive about 5 years ago.. (And I had a 80GB and a 200GB drive in 2012) My laptop has a 50GB SSD. I know how to manage drive space pretty well. (I need to get a adapter so I can stick the 250GB laptop drive I currently use as an external drive into the CD ROM bay in my laptop.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

You people make me feel bad about my $25 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB drive.

I think my dad's computer has somewhere around 6-8 TBs of drives or something.

500GB is actually enough for me since I used to have a single 40GB drive about 5 years ago.. (And I had a 80GB and a 200GB drive in 2012) My laptop has a 50GB SSD. I know how to manage drive space pretty well. (I need to get a adapter so I can stick the 250GB laptop drive I currently use as an external drive into the CD ROM bay in my laptop.)

I have a 2tb HDD a 400gb hdd and a 240gb ssd in my system. Out of the total 2395gb's worth of disk space thats usable, I have used 1497gbs of that. None of it are backups. I have external drives and a file server for backups.

Also what I find amazing is that some of my friends have those tablet laptops with 60gb ssd's and thats it. I have no idea how they manage that.

I have a 2tb HDD a 400gb hdd and a 240gb ssd in my system. Out of the total 2395gb's worth of disk space I have used 1497gbs of that. None of it are backups. I have external drives and a file server for backups.

Also what I find amazing is that some of my friends have those tablet laptops with 60gb ssd's and thats it. I have no idea how they manage that.

I don't have any backups :D

Yes, I have had to reinstall Windows. Many times over the years.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245