LOL x)

Well, I can only wish to have a setup like that, I am using just a gigabit network that can only get 60MB/s tops, Which hey that isn't terrible but 10Gigabit ? That would be amazing for sure, My file server is also just an old P4, 2GB's of ram, and a 1TB HDD that I had lying around... 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Here's my setup. 18TB. A work in progress.

Hardware
CASE: Cooler Master CM 690
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M600
MB: Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C
CPU: Intel Core 2 E4500
HS: Stock heatsink
RAM: 4GB DDR2 667
RAID CARD 1:  SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8

SSD: Corsair Nuetron 256GB SSD (soon to be installed)
HDD 1: 1x 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001

HDD 2: 2x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003

HDD 3: 2x 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS

HDD 4: 2x 2TB WD WDC WD20EADS

HDD 5: 1x 1TB WD WDC WD10EACS

HDD 6: 2x 1TB Seagate ST31000528AS

Software and Configuration:
Currently running WHS2011. Docs, pics and music are the only data backed up to another PC.

8 Drives on Raid Card, 2 on MB

I am planning to convert to flexraid, just doing some research before pulling the trigger. Also plan to replace 1TD HDD used for OS to a 256GB Raid

Usage:
Primary usage is data storage. Data includes BD Rips, MKVs, Photos (Raw and JPEG), and Music (mp3 and flac)

Several media players connected via network (PCH x2, Dune, laptops)

Subsonic used for remote access to music and some small video files

Remote Access to all PCs

Backup:
Critical data copied on another PC. PC and Server Backups via WHS

Additional info:

Photo's:

post-36337-0-35565900-1375894814.jpg

post-36337-0-14725800-1375894813.jpg

Edited by mb2k

Here's my setup. 18TB. A work in progress.

Hardware

CASE: Cooler Master CM 690

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M600

MB: Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C

CPU: Intel Core 2 E4500

HS: Stock heatsink

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333

RAID CARD 1:  SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8

SSD: Corsair Nuetron 256GB SSD (soon to be installed)

HDD 1: 1x 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001

HDD 2: 2x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003

HDD 3: 2x 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS

HDD 4: 2x 2TB WD WDC WD20EADS

HDD 5: 1x 1TB WD WDC WD10EACS

HDD 6: 2x 1TB Seagate ST31000528AS

Currently running WHS2011. Docs, pics and music are the only data backed up to another PC.

8 Drives on Raid Card, 2 on MB

I am planning to convert to flexraid, just doing some research before pulling the trigger. Also plan to replace 1TD HDD used for OS to a 256GB Raid

Usage:

Primary usage is data storage. Data includes BD Rips, MKVs, Photos (Raw and JPEG), and Music (mp3 and flac)

Several media players connected via network (PCH x2, Dune, laptops)

Subsonic used for remote access to music and some small video files

Remote Access to all PCs

Backup:

Critical data copied on another PC. PC and Server Backups via WHS

Additional info:

Photo's: to be uploaded shortly....

Nice server, You might want to look at this if you are interested in using FlexRaid

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/33510-how-to-install-and-setup-flexraid-on-your-windows-storage-system/

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Thanks L.E.D.

That post is actually what led me to this thread/site. I noticed this thread in the OPs signature and figured I'd chime in.

Currently waiting on a replacement for my 3TB that died, which is what led me to look into FlexRaid, which is how I got here.

Tony

Thanks L.E.D.

That post is actually what led me to this thread/site. I noticed this thread in the OPs signature and figured I'd chime in.

Currently waiting on a replacement for my 3TB that died, which is what led me to look into FlexRaid, which is how I got here.

Tony

Awesome, Welcome to the forum then, don't hesitate to ask anything, ( in the appropriate places of course )

I can only wish to have a file server like this lol maybe some day then.

Welcome to the forums!

On topic: nice server, but oh, that cable management :P

I think he needs to grab a few zip ties once that new HDD arrives lol

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's on the list of things to do. :rolleyes:

My replacement just arrived today so I'm about to do some housecleaning. Just trying to figure whether to clone my OS to an SSD or start from scratch. May as well clean up while I'm at it.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's on the list of things to do. :rolleyes:

My replacement just arrived today so I'm about to do some housecleaning. Just trying to figure whether to clone my OS to an SSD or start from scratch. May as well clean up while I'm at it.

Does an SSD make that big of a difference for a boot drive ? I mean once the OS it loaded and booted up you don't ever access the OS again, or is WHS stupid that way lol I use FreeNAS so... 

eh, it's more of an experiment than any thing else. I've seen mixed reviews here and there but i'm just going by how fast my boot times are in my other devices - PC, laptop, tablet. - after using SSD.

I've got an SSD I'm not using so I figure I'd give it a shot. It is slow as hell when remoting in, and booting up, but I never have any issues accessing files over Samba.

In Windows, an SSD should really make a difference, yes.

My main reason for having an SSD for the OS is that it is silent. At night I shut down my drives to be able to sleep, but I can still download/let the server do some work on the SSD.

eh, it's more of an experiment than any thing else. I've seen mixed reviews here and there but i'm just going by how fast my boot times are in my other devices - PC, laptop, tablet. - after using SSD.

I've got an SSD I'm not using so I figure I'd give it a shot. It is slow as hell when remoting in, and booting up, but I never have any issues accessing files over Samba.

In Windows, an SSD should really make a difference, yes.

My main reason for having an SSD for the OS is that it is silent. At night I shut down my drives to be able to sleep, but I can still download/let the server do some work on the SSD.

Sounds good to me then, My file server is an old P4 with a 1TB sata drive in it xD boot drive is an old 40GB IDE, Doesn't compare to these setups... 

Thanks L.E.D.

Tony

Nice :)

Well your added to the list :P

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

My Fileserver

Hardware
CASE: Fractal Define R4
PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 550W
MB: Asus P9D-WS
CPU: Intel 4570S
HS: Stock Intel heatsink
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
RAID CARD: LSI 9271-8i
SSD: Samsung 840 250gb
HDD: 6 Seagate Barracudas 3TB

My server is running windows server 2008 R2 and im using my LSI card to make my array. 
My main array consists of 6 3TB drives in RAID 6, so I end up with 12TB of actual useable space. 

Usage:
I use the storage for movies, series, pictures, music and important documents. I am also running Serviio as a media server

to stream my content all around the house. It is also for backing up my computers. 

Additional info:
The server is connected with a 2Gbps connection to a Netgear Switch. 

post-1232-0-36857100-1376035809.jpg

post-1232-0-06841300-1376036054.jpg

post-1232-0-63210500-1376036367_thumb.jp

post-1232-0-45869900-1376036577.jpg

post-1232-0-40480900-1376035325.jpg

Hardware

CASE: Fractal Define R4

PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 550W

MB: Asus P9D-WS

CPU: Intel 4570S

HS: Stock Intel heatsink

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz

RAID CARD: LSI 9271-8i

SSD: Samsung 840 250gb

HDD: 6 Seagate Barracudas 3TB

Very nice system, very clean, I'll add you right away :P

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

That is one nice system you got there andi!

Some cable management can do magic (hint, hint :p)

yeah, yeah, I know. 1st things 1st, gotta get my server rebuild done..

That's not a file server, it's a workstation with storage.

What's the problem ? It IS running WHS... It hosts files, thus it is a server lol

its a server in a workstation case. 

note that it has no graphics card for example. 

Well, what would be a server for you then? The term server is an extremely broad term

which can encompass many different things. AFAIK as long as you have a system (software

+hardware, or even just software) which provides a service to any sort of client you

can describe that as a server (e.g. the X Window system is based on a server-client

model, although I admit that wouldn't qualify for this thread ;) ).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic