Well, what would be a server for you then? The term server is an extremely broad term

which can encompass many different things. AFAIK as long as you have a system (software

+hardware, or even just software) which provides a service to any sort of client you

can describe that as a server (e.g. the X Window system is based on a server-client

model, although I admit that wouldn't qualify for this thread ;) ).

Exactly...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

What I meant is that a computer needs some sort of remote access that works independently of the OS and battery backup for me to call it a a server, otherwise it's just somebody playing.

WHS doesn't need an I5, take it out and put in a dual core Celeron.

I also have a Fractal Design Node 304 based Xeon 1260L "server" with 15TB but I'm using it at 10-15% cpu load and I'm running a routing VM.

What I meant is that a computer needs some sort of remote access that works independently of the OS and battery backup for me to call it a a server, otherwise it's just somebody playing. WHS doesn't need an I5, take it out and put in a dual core Celeron. I also have a Fractal Design Node 304 based Xeon 1260L "server" with 15TB but I'm using it at 10-15% cpu load and I'm running a routing VM.

Well, since the term server is so broad what you understand as a server may not be one to

someone else and vice versa. What a computer needs should in the end be defined by

what its user(s) need(s) IMO. If the server is not required to have extremely high availability

(i.e. is not critical) there really is no point in having a backup power unit, it's just

wasted money. Just because it doesn't have to be always available doesn't mean it's not a

server anymore (imagine a website which is only available for 12 hours a day: it's still run

on a server, just a very horrible one).

As said: strictly speaking any system which provides a service is a server (that's what the

word stands for, after all), and depending on context it can mean wildly different things.

Somebody who's used to working with large server farms will probably mean something very

different when talking about servers than a programmer working on display server code.

So, for the context of this thread, the rig seems to be a server, but not for your personal

context.

In any case, thanks for elaborating, and your rig actually seems to qualify for this thread,

so I'd be interested in your setup if you can post it. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I need help I am buying the Norco RPC-4224 and I will be using an Areca 1680ix for 8 3TB Seagate Barracudas. The mother board I am thinking is Asus Sabertooth X79 with an Intel 3930K cooled by a coolermaster hyper 212. The ram is Patriot viper 3 1600mhz 16gb with 9-9-9-24 timings. Two samsung 250gb 840s in RAID 1 will be used for the OS.

I cannot decide on motherboard+CPU combo and CPU cooler. Any other suggestions are welcome like ram or drive configuration. Case will be modded or left open. The RAID card and case will NOT change.

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

Atomicnerd64, on 12 Aug 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

The RAID card and case will NOT change.

Did you already buy the RAID card?

What is your reasoning behind choosing Hardware RAID

For most home server builds Hardware RAID is not the ideal option.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Did you already buy the RAID card?

What is your reasoning behind choosing Hardware RAID

For most home server builds Hardware RAID is not the ideal option.

I trust hardware RAID more than software raid because I am mor of a hardware guy and I know it better.

The raid card is amazing thus it won't change. ;)

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I trust hardware RAID more than software raid because I am mor of a hardware guy and I know it better.

I see you have a strong opinion, but I'm still going to try to change your mind :P

I'm also a hardware guy.

But personally I put more trust in software RAID like FlexRAID which unlike hardware RAID keeps all the files as a whole in NTFS so if the RAID fails you will always have your data. and of course it will save you roughly 500 euro....

looney,

Trusted Storage Advisor.

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I suggest you take a look at this thread, where hardware vs. software RAID has been discussed as well. Bottom line is the same as it is here: in home servers, software RAID will provide you with a very flexible, robust and cheap solution vs. hardware RAID. For your convenience, I've quoted my view on the matter below.

As Looney said, hardware RAID isn't ideal. Not only because of the expensive controllers, also because it can be tough to recover the RAID array in case of a component (RAID card) failure or a system upgrade. With software RAID, you have a way greater flexibility and system independence.

To back this statement up: my software RAID array (using mdadm on Debian) has survived two complete OS reinstalls and three hardware upgrade cycles.

I see you have a strong opinion, but I'm still going to try to change your mind :P

I'm also a hardware guy.

But personally I put more trust in software RAID like FlexRAID which unlike hardware RAID keeps all the files as a whole in NTFS so if the RAID fails you will always have your data. and of course it will save you roughly 500 euro....

looney,

Trusted Storage Advisor.

Can you link me to a tutorial? Where I can see how to set up FlexRAID?

Can you link me to a tutorial? Where I can see how to set up FlexRAID?

There is a link in that piece of text and there is one in my signature, but I'll just leave a third one here :D

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/33510-how-to-install-and-setup-flexraid-on-your-windows-storage-system/

(and its also the 5 link when Googling FlexRAID tutorial :P)

@Atomicnerd64, what do you plan on using this server for? You originally mentioned a 3930k, which is very overkill for most home server applications. Is there something you had in mind that's going to tax a cpu that much? If you tell us what you're going to be using this server for, we can better help you spec it :P

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Cheapest home server ever

Hardware
CASE: window sill

PSU: noname 350W
MB: ASUS P8B75-M

CPU: Celeron G550

RAM: 2GB DDR3 1600 OCZ Titanium

HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

Software and Configuration:

My home server is running Ubuntu Server 13.04 32-bit, SAMBA, NginX with PHP-FPM, MySQL, Memcache, SVN server.

Usage:
I use it to back up my main pc and laptop and develop some web projects. In future I plan to set up Air video server to watch tv shows on ipad.

Backup:
Most stuff on this server are backups, the rest is backed up on my main PC.

Additional info:

This is sunday-hangover project and cost me nothing. :D All parts are leftovers from earlier upgrades and all software are open source.

Photo's:

post-14443-0-08947500-1376333466.jpg

[...]

Hehe, now that is some nice ghetto computing, sir! :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'll build a NAS for sharing storage between all the computers in the house, backups, and ripping bluray movies and play it from everywhere... Not sure how much I'll need, but we have 6 computers in the house and we have a lot of bluray movies I didn't rip yet because I didn't have enough space... Also might make it a private cloud.. Not sure if I'll...

I'll build a NAS for sharing storage between all the computers in the house, backups, and ripping bluray movies and play it from everywhere... Not sure how much I'll need, but we have 6 computers in the house and we have a lot of bluray movies I didn't rip yet because I didn't have enough space... Also might make it a private cloud.. Not sure if I'll...

Why not ? I guess for the obvious reasons of money but if you can I totally would, it is a great thing to have and it is great to be able to stream movies to ANYWHERE lol

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Why not ? I guess for the obvious reasons of money but if you can I totally would, it is a great thing to have and it is great to be able to stream movies to ANYWHERE lol

Yeah... I'm not sure how much space I need... I'm thinking about 8TB and if I'll run out of space I'll get more drives...

Yeah... I'm not sure how much space I need... I'm thinking about 8TB and if I'll run out of space I'll get more drives...

Well what is the average size of a blueray rip for you ? I ask for you because there is different ways to rip it and some are different file sizes, What ever it is I assume 8TB's is a good starting point... 

Well what is the average size of a blueray rip for you ? I ask for you because there is different ways to rip it and some are different file sizes, What ever it is I assume 8TB's is a good starting point...

I never ripped bluray before... I'll start ripping after I'll have enough space (right now I have a 128GB SSD for boot and key apps, and 1TB for storage (already almost full)... I don't think I'll do any compressions, I'd like to keep the quality as high as possible...

That all really depends on what your encoding for it to be played back on and what you all what to keep from the full disc.

For storage RAID arrays all I have is a 4x2TB RAID5 array in my HTPC/File Server on a LSI controller and a 4x1TB RAID10 array in my Desktop running off the built in Intel C300 RST Enterprise controller thats built into the X79 chipset. The first array is my files storage and is quite full. I have some cleaning out that could be done but I could use a storage increase too. The second array is basically my TEMP/Scratch Disc/Editing drive which is why I went for redundancy and speed. The HDDs in that array are single platter hitachi's (well 2 are now toshiba but their exact same model). I would like to add a RAID1 array to the HTPC/Filer Server on the on board X58 chipsets controller so that I can move my archive folder off the array and onto a completely different controller. This will give me more storage on the main array and give me more peace of mind.

O on another note these arnt in a array for cost reasons but I have all of these and their all full:

IMG_4312-w.jpg

IMG_4316-w.jpg

I never ripped bluray before... I'll start ripping after I'll have enough space (right now I have a 128GB SSD for boot and key apps, and 1TB for storage (already almost full)... I don't think I'll do any compressions, I'd like to keep the quality as high as possible...

That all really depends on what your encoding for it to be played back on and what you all what to keep from the full disc.

I knew it depends on what your encoding, I was just asking him how he rips his blueray's.

For a starter 8TB's would be good, I assume a blueray rip is around 30 to 40GBs which is what I just read, so on 8TBs (keep in mind the space you will lose for a redundancy) you can get somewhere in the range of 170 to 200 blueray rips

I knew it depends on what your encoding, I was just asking him how he rips his blueray's.

For a starter 8TB's would be good, I assume a blueray rip is around 30 to 40GBs which is what I just read, so on 8TBs (keep in mind the space you will lose for a redundancy) you can get somewhere in the range of 170 to 200 blueray rips

O your talking ISOs I thought you were talking encoding, my bad but yea ISOs thats what all those bare drives are for.