dac for ath m50xbl

stefannxd

I wasn't confusing anything. DAC/amp combos are often just called DACs. OP himself specifically said DAC. It was everyone else that started attacking the semantics, when everyone knew exactly what I meant.

Ummmm.....you do know that there are devices that are DAC only, without a built-in amp, in the market, right? Like the Fiio D03k, Schiit Modi, and lots of other similar stuffs. If you call DAC/amp combo as DAC, then what do you call the Schiit Modi then? If you call the Modi also as a DAC, then it should do the exact same thing/job as, say, E10k? See the ambiguity?

Technical jargons (or 'semantics') are kinda important in public sites where people who don't know much seeks out answers, like this forum, especially if there are possibilities of double or triple meanings involved. Let me put it in examples:

Example 1:

- I can't use my onboard. Looking for an external device to use it with my headphone. I already have an amp, my friend gave it to me. So what should I get?

- get a DAC

- wait2, I have the amp in my hand, and it turns out that it's a speaker amp, I don't think I can use it with my headphone. So what should I get?

- in that case, get a DAC

- ???

Example 2:

- damn it

- what happened?

- I needed a device that I could use to run my headphone, right? I browsed into this site, and some douche there says all I need is a DAC. So I ordered a DAC, the Schiit Modi. Well, guess what, I can't do anything with it. Turns out what I really need is a DAC AND an amp, or a DAC/amp combo. I've used up all my $100 budget for a useless DAC, when I could have gotten the a DAC/amp combo with the same budget, and I could have had my headphone running by now....

Do I need to buy a dac for my future ath m50xbl I use an old Acer PC and I don't know if my audio source is sufficient

Please some advice

Yes you need a DAC if you want to get full performance of m50x,i am using a Schiit modi DAC connected to fiio E11 amplifier at the moment.It was first connected as a temporary solution but the sound quality is so good that i decided not to buy a seperate high performance amp to use it with DAC.