GTX 980/970 Pricing & Reviews

OlekKing

Nvidia, PLEASE STOP THESE PRICES!

Those prices aren't the confirmed prices. Just wait till NVIDIA releases the official prices. I remember when the Intel 4790K was first released and it's initial price here in Australia was about $415+ AUD. Now it's come right down to just $385 AUD, that's a AU$30+ reduction. I think the initial prices will be ridicolus but after a while I think we'll see quite a drop in price on these new GPUs. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Those prices aren't the confirmed prices. Just wait till NVIDIA releases the official prices. I remember when the Intel 4790K was first released and it's initial price here in Australia was about $415+ AUD. Now it's come right down to just $385 AUD, that's a AU$30+ reduction. I think the initial prices will be ridicolus but after a while I think we'll see quite a drop in price on these new GPUs. ;)

If they do turn out to be as ridiculous as some people suggest, I'm defecting to the red team. :L

They will cut the R9 290x prices because they wan't to buttrape Nvidia:D

Do you always use such vulgar terminology when referring to technology? :o :huh:

I think AMD's plan for Q4 2014 was to release a 2048 SP full Tonga core (285X?) But I think they scrapped that due to Maxwell. They're probably gearing up the 390X for next year seeing as the cooler's been leaked already.

Still though, I hope they surprise us with a 390X Christmas release to put Nvidia back to earth.

Well I am planning to build till december. I wan't a good card to get released until then:)

Do you always use such vulgar terminology when referring to technology? :o :huh:

Yepp

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Ha, I feel your pain. :P

Also if none of the 970s come with awesome-looking backplates like a few of the 290s do, that is totally not going to influence my decision. At all. >__>

Haha, I quite literally went to the ends of the earth to find a backplate for my card which was sold out everywhere. I found one from an Arizona-based store and had it shipped all the way to Europe. I painted the backplate white and now my card looks one-of-a-kind. :)

Same here in Europe man... Just change $ to €.

Really, do you get ripped off there in Europe as well?

Pretty much the expected price... considering my 680 was just under $700 at launch, this almost feels like a steal. Might hold on to my wallet and see if there are any indications of a Maxwell "titan"-equivalent or at least 980 ti card coming out in the near future.

Cheers,

Linus

Really, do you get ripped off there in Europe as well?

Yep they always do it 1 to 1 :/

RTX2070OC 

With a little extra early adopter tax added on from retailers. :(

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I have a feeling that it's a placeholder price or just another of the instances where companies rip the first buyers royally off.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Well, that sucks.

Yepp

You must have one filthy mind. :o

You must have one filthy mind. :o

what mind?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

what mind?

Haha, yeah. :D

Haha, yeah. :D

shajse

i have a feeling those numbers will drop soon enough...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Will they not release their R9 390x this year?

They will cut the R9 290x prices because they wan't to buttrape Nvidia:D

The last 2 years I experienced that AMD was the winner in GPU sales:D

And yet their market share didn't budge against Nvidia or Intel.

They can release the 390x, but 4096 cores? You people are deluded. Both companies are still on 28nm and Reed of AMD has already said he intends to keep it around a while.

GCN 1.2, 3400 cores max is my prediction for the 390x, and that's going to be a nuclear reactor of a single card.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hi guys,

I've ordered one of the released one from Alltron, our Asus distributor for Switzerland. They actually have 8 in stock.

I should receive it at start of next week...

A bit surprised that theses cards are already available.

Best Regards

And yet their market share didn't budge against Nvidia or Intel.

They can release the 390x, but 4096 cores? You people are deluded. Both companies are still on 28nm and Reed of AMD has already said he intends to keep it around a while.

GCN 1.2, 3400 cores max is my prediction for the 390x, and that's going to be a nuclear reactor of a single card.

I will mail AMD and tell them "Please release r9 390x <3

Wait for AMD to drop next gen cards and force them to lower the price.

expreview-gtx-970-gtx-980-review-2.jpgexpreview-gtx-970-gtx-980-review-5.jpg

With the impending release / announcement of the GTX 980 later today at the GAME 24 Nvidia event, our first performance graphs have arrived a little early. Overall the GTX 980 has demonstrated some really impressive results  beating GTX 780 Ti by 13% but with over 800 LESS cuda cores, using almost 100 watts less power, and less heat. Also the stock clocks on the 980 are especially striking  with 1127mhz BASE & 1216mhz Boost respectively meaning expect OC results of 1300 - 1400mhz or greater ON AIR. This is nothing exciting in the perspective of enthusiasts like myself who could care less how much power their hardware uses, nonetheless there's no denying these kind of results are unheard of. I personally am especially interested in how the maxwell mobile gpus are going to turn out as power/ heat are laptops greatest enemy. Maxwell will likely introduce a entirely different class of extreme gaming laptops. Overall my biggest concern is the pricing if Nvidia prices these cards SENSIBLY then they most likely will do really well and put some serious pressure on AMD. 

UPDATE: These cards have since been announced and OFFICIAL pricing is 

980 - 549$ 

970 - 329$ 

CSvaMkW.png

Alright here are the benchmarks- 

GeForce GTX 980 vs GTX 780 Ti

GeForce GTX 980 is officially faster than GTX 780 TI. The average boost over 780 Ti is 13%, but in synthetic benchmarks you can see even higher difference. We also saw 4k benchmarks, and despite 256-bit interface this card does pretty well.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-vs-GeForce-GTX-78

GeForce GTX 980 vs Radeon R9 290X

Technically if GTX 980 is already faster than GTX 780 Ti, then it should also outperform 290X. According to Expreview charts, GeForce GTX 980 is indeed 15% faster than 290X.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-vs-Radeon-R9-290X

GeForce GTX 970 vs Radeon R9 290X

The main competitor for GTX 970 is R9 290X. Expreview have custom sample, so it’s hard to say how these numbers correspond to reference models.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-vs-Radeon-R9-290X

GeForce GTX 970 vs GTX 780 GHz

Expreview managed to find a good card for comparison. The GTX 780 GHz Edition offers almost the same performance as GTX 970. However GTX 970 has still a huge headroom for overclocking. This battle is only about power consumption and .. the price.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-78

GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 power consumption

I think we will all agree that GTX 900 series offer amazing energy efficiency. It doesn’t matter if we look at synthetic or stress testing, GTX 980 and GTX 970 will always consume less power than any other card in this comparison.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-and-GTX-970-Power

GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 Temperature Test

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-and-GTX-970-GPU-T

source- http://videocardz.com/52524/first-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-and-gtx-970-review-leaks-out

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Lol, people just going to google money converter and thinking thats the real american price.

PRICES ARE LOWER IN AMERICA PEOPLE!!

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Now, if this rings true, this is pretty exciting to me.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So, it is pulling off the 25-35% performance increase over the 780 then

Also, the power consumption on that 970, my god

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Now, if this rings true, this is pretty exciting to me.

Yep. I am still waiting until Nvidia officially launches the card to take too many benchmarks seriously. But this doesnt look bad at all.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro