Programmers Lounge

deafboy

Hello,

I just joined the forum today and found about this topic.

I am a pre-final year student in engineering design. I am a coder by the day and gamer by the night.

I use Visual Studio as my prime IDE when I am on windows but when I am on Linux, I don't use any IDE coz none of them meet the standards of VS. I use sublime text to code. My primary programming language is Python, Lua, C# and MATLAB. I know C, C++, Java, ActionScript 3.0 and RoR apart from my primary programming languages. Most of my current work is designing and training Deep Neural Networks and research in Artificial Intelligence. I use TensorFlow as my deep neural network development library.

7 hours ago, hrshptl said:

I am a coder

I really really hate that term and so should you.

7 hours ago, hrshptl said:

when I am on Linux, I don't use any IDE coz none of them meet the standards of VS

You should have a look at JetBrains products in that case.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.1.2017 at 11:16 AM, hrshptl said:

but when I am on Linux, I don't use any IDE coz none of them meet the standards of VS.

QTCreator is nice, even if you're not using QT (It has an option for 'plain' C/C++ projects).

Hello all, I just joined the forums today and saw this forum and figured I'd introduce myself. 

I did my bachelor's in EE with a focus in Computer Engineering and I'm currently in the "garbage time" portion of my M.S. in EE (Classes all done, just writing that damn thesis haha). Though I was educated as an EE I took many CS classes and have grown to love software more than hardware from a design perspective (my older brother was a CS professor at my uni and he's finally won me over LOL). I've worked the last few years as a researcher developing Wireless Sensor Network and IoT solutions for climate study and ecological research. I've done a fair bit of Python, Matlab, and R scripting but C/C++ and Java are my go-to languages for most projects. I've had to do some JSP and Javascript for my thesis research so that's been interesting. VHDL is a language I used to teach in a rapid hardware prototyping class and I've been casually dipping my toes in the .NET waters, so to speak.

I recently did a training/workshop for working with my school's high-performance compute cluster and it was pretty freaking cool. Our university does a lot of bioinformatics and genomics research so the cluster gets some pretty regular use. It's got 884 xeon cores, 12TB of RAM, and 12 Tesla k80 gpus - with Red Hat Enterprise for the OS and Slurm for scheduling.

Which IDE do you think is the best for C++ for rookie programer?

IDEs are unnecessarily complicated for C++ unless you absolutely need to be able to draw UIs with your mouse. In this case, Visual Studio 2015 is more than just "good enough".

Write in C.

• 2 months later...

I thought I would post an update on what I've been doing recently, which is in all honestly several abandoned projects and an isometric game engine I am currently writing under the sphere 1.5 API.

Rambling:

Spoiler

I honestly wish Minisphere 4.x.x had sound support so I can update my code to the 2.0 standard without too much hassle. It's much more efficient and has more features that sphere v1.5 just doesn't have due to it's tremendously old age, I mean, it is cool that I can run my game on Windows 95 but that 6.1mb VM memory limit is just absurd by today's standards. 

Oh well, I guess this just means I'm gonna have to learn how to cram a crap ton of stuff into small spaces.

I ran into a few issues though

1. The 6.1 mb VM memory limit is gonna give me headaches

2. I realized it may be more efficient to utilize the 3D canvas rather than creating an isometric map  and assets through artificial means. However I have no idea how to even use the API let alone the patience to figure out how to use it on my own. (If someone could help me, I would be eternally grateful)

other than that development is going decently well. I've changed a bit of how the isometric map constructor is built so that I can load maps in with one fell swoop rather than loading every single variable and data array, this also reduces the amount of code I would have to change if I make any future improvements or additions to the constructor. Additionally I can also store map-specific tile sets within map files as well, which makes asset management much easier now that I wont have to worry as much about hitting that 6.1mb VM memory limit I mentioned earlier. Additionally, waifu.js was hogging too much memory so I implemented a data cap to ensure that memory is being managed much more efficiently.

Currently I'm working out how to go about rendering large non-quadrilateral maps while maintaining acceptable performance and mouse-controlled viewport navigation

Screenshot for those interested: 58e4f7cba9410_Screenshot2017-04-0508_57_06.png.f5bb96cd62ac5f37e4e4911c07aac7b8.png

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

On 1/26/2017 at 1:44 AM, mynameisfatmike said:

Hello all, I just joined the forums today and saw this forum and figured I'd introduce myself. 

I did my bachelor's in EE with a focus in Computer Engineering and I'm currently in the "garbage time" portion of my M.S. in EE (Classes all done, just writing that damn thesis haha). Though I was educated as an EE I took many CS classes and have grown to love software more than hardware from a design perspective (my older brother was a CS professor at my uni and he's finally won me over LOL). I've worked the last few years as a researcher developing Wireless Sensor Network and IoT solutions for climate study and ecological research. I've done a fair bit of Python, Matlab, and R scripting but C/C++ and Java are my go-to languages for most projects. I've had to do some JSP and Javascript for my thesis research so that's been interesting. VHDL is a language I used to teach in a rapid hardware prototyping class and I've been casually dipping my toes in the .NET waters, so to speak.

I recently did a training/workshop for working with my school's high-performance compute cluster and it was pretty freaking cool. Our university does a lot of bioinformatics and genomics research so the cluster gets some pretty regular use. It's got 884 xeon cores, 12TB of RAM, and 12 Tesla k80 gpus - with Red Hat Enterprise for the OS and Slurm for scheduling.

That's pretty freaking cool.

Do you guys ever do anything regarding Neural Network based AI?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Rizen, 

Some of you may know me as (the now former) Twitch staff that hung out with you guys a ton on the WAN show and Luke's Twitch.  

I graduated with a BS in EECS from UC Berkeley (although I took enough graduate courses to leave with a masters if I wasn't too lazy to write a thesis), with experience in a wide variety of programming disciplines such as web services, GPU platforms with openGL and CUDA, hugely scalable data pipelines for analytics and other data services (what I worked on at Twitch), data security platforms with an emphasis on backend web services, data pipelines and overall infrastructure (I'd like to say I'm pretty handy with AWS, what I'm working on now), and much more. 

I'm located in the Bay Area, and am more than happy to talk about my experiences, the work I've done, and the tech culture down here, as well as other technical issues. 

Thanks. 

On 2016-04-13 at 1:29 AM, Pardeep01 said:

Does anyone here code ActionScript anymore or am I the only one?

"Googles Actionscript"

On 2017-01-14 at 11:16 AM, hrshptl said:

Hello,

I just joined the forum today and found about this topic.

I am a pre-final year student in engineering design. I am a coder by the day and gamer by the night.

I use Visual Studio as my prime IDE when I am on windows but when I am on Linux, I don't use any IDE coz none of them meet the standards of VS. I use sublime text to code. My primary programming language is Python, Lua, C# and MATLAB. I know C, C++, Java, ActionScript 3.0 and RoR apart from my primary programming languages. Most of my current work is designing and training Deep Neural Networks and research in Artificial Intelligence. I use TensorFlow as my deep neural network development library.

"Uses Comic Sans"

On 2/28/2013 at 4:27 PM, igotsnomoney said:

OOP is a crucial concept that you will absolutely love. I learned it during the last month of grade 11 programming, and although it takes some time to get used to it at first, once you do get it it feels like the training wheels have been taken off and you are free.

OOP is kind of like a photocopier, it will create multiple objects off of a master blueprint that you code (called a class). for instance you can program an enemy bullet and program its properties, then you can create as many of those bullets as you wish with no additional work (other than declaring how many you want created).

EDIT: Nevermind, google turned up a result sooner than I thought it would.

2 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

OOP? Could you please inform me as to that the acronym means?

Object Oriented Programming.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Just now, Nuluvius said:

I've been doing OOP for years now and didn't realize this is what the acronym meant. Derp.

I've been working on some code to render an isometric tilemap with the capability of rotating the camera 360 degrees. I can render 1 row of tiles, but I have no idea how to go about rendering multiple rows.

this.clear();

wide = 10;
high = 10;

an = 0;
b = 0;
co = [0, 0];

this.up();
while (an < wide)
{
  while (b < high)
  {
    b = b + 1
    co[0] = (co[0] + this.tWidth[rot]);
    co[1] = (co[1] + this.tHeight[rot]);
    this.gotoXY((co[0] + this.tWidth[rot]), co[1] * Math.cos(0.935));
    this.doStamp();
  }
  an = an + 1
};

Probably just gonna rewrite the entire section of code and use this post as a backup copy.

cant you just runt he same code several times with different parameters and be done with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody else have written a game engine? Here's mine, it's for retro games:

https://github.com/ZILtoid1991/pixelperfectengine

0.9.2 final is going to have 8 bit bitmaps (for faster lookups) and a more working editor (I'm planning to make tile placement and automatic loading working even if saving/loading still won't).

Does anyone know how to make mods for train simulator?

Bloody hell, i feel like an old man on this forum. Anyway,

I've been coding since the age of 7 on a Sinclair ZX81 (assembler), then on to a BBC Micro (6502) assembler. Once I got my first PC it was into C, C++, DBase III+, FoxPro, Turbo Pascal, COBOL, Basic etc. 

My first job with using RPGIII/CLP on an IBM System 38 (what a beast), then onto an AS/400 (System i now). From there I've used VB, ASP, C#, SQL, Bash etc. Now do Java full time.

I now design large distributed systems to handle on-line betting using highly async/concurrent servers using Ratpack (way faster than NodeJS). We use the same Disributed NoSQL db that Netflix uses (Cassandra) which is the dogs nuts.

Oh as for IDE, we use Eclipse and IDEA with a sprinkling of VIM and Emacs for good measure.

Not a Windows machine in site! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with neural networks in Scratch, using a sinc sigmoid to regulate the weights connecting neurons makes for an interesting looking graph.

The thickness of the line is actually caused by the sincwave leaving a signature in the accuracy history, if you look at the accuracy history you'll see the values fluctuating. Zooming in further will allow you to visibly see the oscillation in the graph; as the neural network learns this oscillation becomes less pronounced, thus producing a thinner line, as the neural network becomes more accurate.

This isn't actually showing the loss, but just the raw difference in data being output by the neural network compared to the input. I have yet to implement displaying of the output data.

stage.png.4abc53241d0bfb33228861e2b9505b68.png

EDIT: Apparently I screwed up and I was both graphing the wrong data, and not even performing the correct calculations. All weights just shifted to 0 instead of stopping at the appropriate values. 

I've rewritten it and it now seems to work, it's much faster than changing weighs by increments of 0.01 each time I want to run the neural net. training that would've taken minutes, now takes a couple of seconds. Additionally, the accuracy of the neural net is much higher now.

Hi! My name is Benjamin.

I started making HTML & CSS websites and learning Java when I was roughly 14. When I was 15, I followed two years of IT in secondary school where we basically focussed on VB.NET and Java.

At the age of 17, I joined college in Kortrijk, Belgium aiming to learn mobile, web and software development. It has worked fine for the first two year, now finishing off the second of my 3-year bachelor.

This year, I also won a Google-funded Udacity scholarship to become an Associate Android Developer for Google. I'm planning to do that exam next weekend. So let's hope it works out.

I'm kinda new here so I hope I'll have a great time here, learning about new things and sharing experiences. :) Thanks for your attention!

• 5 weeks later...

hi guys,

i dont think i've properly introduced myself yet and seeing young benjamin here doing such a great job of it ill do the same.

my name's peter but online i prefer clueless. im 25 now and have been talking about becoming a programmer since i was just a little fatso not even knowing what that meant.

i started coding when started college at 17. after college i got myself a job as an it consultant and have been coding mostly wpf, uwp and winforms ever since.i love my job because you actually get a "finished" product that you can be proud of which not many jobs do but currently i hate my job because it means a lot of travelling. 

currently in the little spare time i have im working on a couple of little projects at home:

1. a tool that references gpu bench scores to offers on "kleinanzeigen" (german craigs-list) more or less creating a price/performance score for used parts

2. a monitor sending system load and temperature data to a network client so it can be visualized there

3. smaller smart home implementations e.g. i just found out about "FIND" a library for wifi positioning ill hopefully be able to use for controlling lights and shades

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

my name is Ondrej but usually i am called Andrew when I am abroad. I am 26 years old.

I started coding at high school when i was 12-13 years old.

I started with pascal then c/c++. I was at college for couple of years. I did some C/C++, python, C#, java and little bit of SQL, HTML and CSS.

After college at my first job I worked with .NET frame work and MS SQL server. Now I have a second job a and i do C++ and Qt framework.

I am a Linux guy, i switched to Linux when i was at college. I used Ubuntu, Fedora and now I am using Gentoo.

Currently in my free time I play a little with Template metaprogramming and I plan to write small game engine using Vulkan.

I am using Vim for coding. I used NetBeans, Visual Studio, Eclipse and Qt Creator all of them annoyed me a lot.