Programmers Lounge

deafboy

-snip-

I'm a bit sad that there isn't a Python API like Spherical for creating games. :(

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally finished my little homelab dashboard to host links to my servers as well as ping their IP addresses. I used bootstrap and I think it looks pretty good, I really like it a lot. You can find an example with information redacted hosted at http://serverdashboard.16mb.com (Free webhost, hostinger.co.uk) and the code for it can be found on GitHub here.

UiPNyI.png

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Hey guys,

Just noticed the topic today. So thought i'd pop in and say Hello.

Started off my programming with C# then when i went to college I started to learn Java. After graduating college went to Kingston University London to do Computer Science where I continued with Java but also in my spare time continued with c#.

Here is a small project i created. Its a digital clock. https://github.com/deansmylie1993/Digital-Clock.git

It is good for if you have 2 monitors and need to know the time with Shift+Tab or ALT+Tab during a game or looking at another device like a phone or tablet.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Proffesional Java scripter, Med HTML. Nothing else to say :D

Hi, I am a retired programmer, analyst, project designer / architect / manager. 37 years in the business. and in that time I used over 3 dozen languages on the job.

First was basic, fortran, and assembly. Next 'CASH', whose form I did not see again, until I saw Turbo Pascal. RPG and RPGII. Cobol, too, where i spent most of my time.

I came up with general rules,

First, get the basic form of the system working. If you have a lot of options, and they are to be on the first page, get that working first, then fill in the details later. Some might call this the GUI part.

Second, when the whole switching / gui process is working, look for problem areas. Not fast enough, or error prone, and deal with them.

third, fill in the details. This is the major part of the coding effort.

4th and 5th - test the hell out of it.

I worked on 32 bit memory systems, and 36 memory systems. Real time OS vs batch OS. Network DB, Hierarchical DB, and 3 different Relational systems

none of which matters today. I don't code, that is what retirement is for.

As good as a programmer and analyst I was, it turned out my real talent was in project architecture / design and management. I got paid a lot more that that one.

I enjoyed the changing world of computers that happened in that time. My first 'mainframe' had 32 kilobytes of memory. 10 years later I had a DataBoss watch that had 64 kilobytes memory- he he...

The first hard drive I saw was so large, I can't describe it today. (think the size of a small refrigerator, holding a 'cake' about 9 inches tall, and 12 inches radius) It had 5 megabytes of storage. Today, on my pc I have four 4TB WD black drive.

Programming was fun, and seldom a chore. If I had an issue, I learned DO NOT stay up all night trying to fix. Instead, GO TO SLEEP, and you will wake up with ideas to try. When I learned that one, programming problems became much easier to deal with.

Because my projects worked, I was handed 'leading edge' work. I found ways to succeed in work that was supposed to fail. Mr Lucky was one of the terms that came my way.

I won't be able to tell you specific tricks to do in the languages of today, so don't ask. But architecture and project planning, I could help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am a retired programmer, analyst, project designer / architect / manager. 37 years in the business. and in that time I used over 3 dozen languages on the job.

First was basic, fortran, and assembly. Next 'CASH', whose form I did not see again, until I saw Turbo Pascal. RPG and RPGII. Cobol, too, where i spent most of my time.

is assembly still useful? pros and cons? just curious.

im learning c++ as my first language. 

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

Hey guys. If any of you are on LinkedIn I could really use a favour:

Please checkout my profile here: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/robertdudley2

I'm desperately trying to find a new job and I just know that some endorsements from some actual programmers, or at least people with an IT background could go a really long way in helping me get my life and career back on track.

If you'd like the back story on why I'm making such a request as this, please go to my forum profile and read my post entitled "Software Developer in Crisis"

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this sort of thing is frowned upon but I am truly desperate!

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Hey guys

I am currently in the process of created an application in c# that will allow me to install a file onto a device on my network.

So far i have created the form with 2 labels (lblFile and lblIP), 2 textboxes (txtFile and txtIP), 2 buttons (btnBrowse and btnInstall) and openfiledialog component.

I have coded the btnBrowse to allow me to browse for the file, select it and display the file path in txtFile

also I have coded the btnInstall button to run cmd

is there a way i can send hard coded commands over to cmd from the application?

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new so yea.

I'm in Highschool for a few more months and I mostly work with C# and XNA, HTML, and a little python. So yea. Nice to meet you all.

Hey all,

I've recently made a forum account but I've been watching LTT videos and browsing in the forum for a while.

Bit about me: I'm a 3rd year computer science student at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada. I mostly work with Java and a bit of C++ but also on some web stuff on my own time.

Nice to meet you all, cheers. 

On 1/18/2013 at 2:15 PM, deafboy said:

Have had this on pretty much every forum I've been on so figured I would add it hear.

Essentially a place for programmers to just get together and chat about various programming things. Having a problem? Maybe rant about it. lol. Have a question, maybe ask.

This is NOT a place for off topic chat, so if it's not about programming or the like, no need to discuss it here.

What kind of languages to you guys prefer? IDEs? OSes? etc.

I'm mostly a linux guy when it comes to programming, generally code in Java or C and almost always use VIM but eclipse is nice when properly set up for Java stuff.

Hey deafboy, I'm starting to program in C++ and have just finished my Arch Linux setup. I have decided to program using vim and am practicing using it, commands and "hotkeys" etc... so rich vim... so rich!

Anyway, I have seen many tutorials to setup vim as a full-fledged C++ IDE, but I haven't gotten it to work... I ended up installing a project called yavide but it uses gvim and I feel like console is more ideal for me.

Anyway I want to ask you how you have your vim set up for C++ programing... maybe you can give me some insight as to how to set it up. (vim-plugins?) (how-to vim plugins, plz :P) etc...

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

On 1/18/2013 at 0:15 PM, deafboy said:

Have had this on pretty much every forum I've been on so figured I would add it hear.

Essentially a place for programmers to just get together and chat about various programming things. Having a problem? Maybe rant about it. lol. Have a question, maybe ask.

This is NOT a place for off topic chat, so if it's not about programming or the like, no need to discuss it here.

What kind of languages to you guys prefer? IDEs? OSes? etc.

I'm mostly a linux guy when it comes to programming, generally code in Java or C and almost always use VIM but eclipse is nice when properly set up for Java stuff.

I have tried to set up VIM as an IDE, but I kept getting confused, could you point me to a tutorial or give me an explanation?  I have been using linux lightly on my laptop for a while, and am only starting to really understand it as a purely commandline based os, with a gui on top, not like windows.  

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

I code mostly in Go, but have been testing the waters of Rust recently. I enjoy using VSCode as it usually just works, but since using Arch Linux I think I might get back into Vim (probably NeoVim).

New guy on the forum, already asked a couple of things so I'll just say something here too.

I'm an italian (half irish, btw) 18-yo programmer. Not an expert obviously, I do my best. 

I've been learning programming languages for about 3-4 years, including C++, Java (for android apps mostly), Python and Pascal. I'm planning to start a business with a friend of mine in a couple of years while in university, but we lack the cash (also starting a business in Italy means you have to pay a shitload of taxes, around 70% of your income. no shit).

Some time ago I published a really simple app on the google play store; it was my first app in Java, really simple stuff. I'm into cryptography so I decided to create my own cypher (based on Vigenere's and Caesars cyphers, still really simple). You just need to input clear text, a password and click a button. Same for decryption. If you want to check it out, you can find it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.cryosec.crypto

I'd really like to program something for my raspberry pi in python, but I'm short on ideas.

Also, I'm studying IT security stuff using Kali Linux on a bootable usb pen.

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

On 2/22/2016 at 9:32 PM, VicBar said:

Hey deafboy, I'm starting to program in C++ and have just finished my Arch Linux setup. I have decided to program using vim and am practicing using it, commands and "hotkeys" etc... so rich vim... so rich!

Anyway, I have seen many tutorials to setup vim as a full-fledged C++ IDE, but I haven't gotten it to work... I ended up installing a project called yavide but it uses gvim and I feel like console is more ideal for me.

Anyway I want to ask you how you have your vim set up for C++ programing... maybe you can give me some insight as to how to set it up. (vim-plugins?) (how-to vim plugins, plz :P) etc...

On 2/23/2016 at 7:32 PM, littlepigboy5 said:

I have tried to set up VIM as an IDE, but I kept getting confused, could you point me to a tutorial or give me an explanation?  I have been using linux lightly on my laptop for a while, and am only starting to really understand it as a purely commandline based os, with a gui on top, not like windows.  

I haven't used VIM in a while but Google is your friend, there are a bunch of tutorials out there.  VIM is kind of what you make of it.  Everyone I've ever worked with has had theirs setup a bit differently.

If you're not comfortable with VIM I would suggest emacs or just go with an IDE like eclipse.

In the meantime a cheatsheet is helpful:  http://vim.rtorr.com/

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

On 23/02/2016 at 4:32 AM, littlepigboy5 said:

vim has a built-in tutorial.

i might as well introduce myself im turbofreak88884444 aka Matthew. i am currently going to college to get my bachelors degree in allied sciences and technology at Arkansas State University. i am currently taking a CNC class which surprisingly enough has an interesting programming language that CNC machines use now i don't know what the language is actually called but ill show you an example of what it uses.

Spoiler

(Verbal version of the program running   \/\/\/\/\/)

Rapid traverse to point a z=1.0;

In-feed to depth z=-0.25;

Linear feed to point b;

Retraction point to z=0.1;

Rapid traverse to point c z=1.0;

In feed to depth z=-0.25;

Linear feed to point d;

Rapid traverse to point e z=1.0;

Linear feed to point f;

Rapid traverse to point g z=1.0:

Linear feed to point h;

Retraction point to z=0.1

Rapid traverse to point I z=1.0;

In feed depth z=-0.25;

Linear feed to point j;

Rapid traverse to point I z=1.0

In feed depth z=-0.25;

Linear feed to point k:

Retraction from workpiece z=1.0

Clearing traverse to tool change point (machine home)

Breakdown of the Program

%       ( this section starts the CNC machine and self-check before program start )

O2000

(ASTATE NO. 2000)

(TOOL – 01 0.25 – END MILL)

N100 G00 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90

N110 G91 G28 Z0

N120 G28 X0. Y0.

(TOOL - 01 0.25 END MILL – engraving)

N130 T1 M06

N140 M01

N150 G00 G90 X0.3 Y0.5 S0800 M3        (this section of the code starts the program and begins cutting the part to the specified paramiters )

N160 G43 H1 Z1. M08

N170 G01 Z-0.25 F10

N180 Y2.5

N190 G00 Z0.1

N200 G00 X1.3 Y2.5

N210 G01 Z-0.25

N220 Y0.5

N230 G00 Z0.1

N240 G00 X0.3 Y1.5

N250 G01 Z-0.25

N270 X1.3

N280 G00 Z0.1

N290 G00 X1.9 Y0.5

N300 G01 Z-0.25

N310 Y2.5

N320 G00 Z0.1

N330 G00 X1.9 Y1.5

N340 G01 Z-0.25

N350 X2.9 Y2.5

N360 G00 Z0.1

N370 G00 X2.9 Y0.5

N380 G01 Z-0.25

N390 X1.9 Y1.5

N400 G00 Z0.1

N410 G80 M09 (this section stops the CNC machine and clears the program )

N420 M05

N430 G91 G49 G28 Z0

N450 M30

N460 %

it might not look like much but there is Alot of things going on within those lines of code if anyone knows the name of it please let me know :)

On 3/10/2016 at 1:00 AM, Turbofreak88884444 said:

i might as well introduce myself im turbofreak88884444 aka Matthew. i am currently going to college to get my bachelors degree in allied sciences and technology at Arkansas State University. i am currently taking a CNC class which surprisingly enough has an interesting programming language that CNC machines use now i don't know what the language is actually called but ill show you an example of what it uses.

it might not look like much but there is Alot of things going on within those lines of code if anyone knows the name of it please let me know :)

That's called G-Code.  I used to be a  CNC machinist from 2007-2009.  Fun job.   Though they had me doing a CNC Programmer's job, but oh well.

I program is Processing primarily but what i usually am actually working in is GameMaker, and i think its scripting system counts at programming xD

i started coding at 9 with HTML & CSS

around 11 i learned about Processing, did that for a year

and now since then i do batch, bash(kinda the same thing), lua, some python, just about any javascript framework, and very little C#

i have a problem not being able to stick to a language xD

Hi all!

I'm studying C and R. Little of phyton and php in the past :D

I'm learn HTML and Java script 

Duh_Tech

I am a computer and aviation enthusiast. I have a good enough PC. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm in my last year of high school so I still have a lot to learn (Then again, no matter how long you've spent in the software engineering industry, there's always more to learn). I develop on OS X, and run Ubuntu server on my servers. These days I mainly program in Go and JavaScript (I'm an absolute fan of Go). But I can program in C/C++, Python and Lua too. I really enjoy writing web applications and utilities (kinda like systems programming). I'm a fan of OOP, but not Java. Java and PHP are actually my most disliked languages.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:22 AM, 1lann said:

Hi, I'm in my last year of high school so I still have a lot to learn (Then again, no matter how long you've spent in the software engineering industry, there's always more to learn). I develop on OS X, and run Ubuntu server on my servers. These days I mainly program in Go and JavaScript (I'm an absolute fan of Go). But I can program in C/C++, Python and Lua too. I really enjoy writing web applications and utilities (kinda like systems programming). I'm a fan of OOP, but not Java. Java and PHP are actually my most disliked languages.

Just out of curiosity, where did you learn to code?