Reasons windows 7 is better then windows 8.

shirokado

Windows 8 boot times and performance on Windows 7 would just be a brilliant OS. If it would be possible to make Windows 8 run without Metro, would buy it tomorrow.

Corsair 300r Case with OCZ ZT 750W PSU | Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor | Asus P8Z77-V LGA1155 Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) | OCZ Vertex 4 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD | AMD Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X 1GB Video Card | 2 Acer S220HQL 22" monitors |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | CM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3500dpi

startisback.com

Have you tried this and is it any good if you have?

Corsair 300r Case with OCZ ZT 750W PSU | Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor | Asus P8Z77-V LGA1155 Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) | OCZ Vertex 4 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD | AMD Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X 1GB Video Card | 2 Acer S220HQL 22" monitors |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | CM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3500dpi

Running it right now.

Just as if it were win7 with the optimizations of 8.

That sounds really good. I knew it might be possible. I just didn't think it would be as good as. I may have to get me a copy of 8 now because of this. Thanks! :D

What less movement of the mouse? You spend 5min trying to find anything in that disorganized menu list, plus you always need explorer to access folders because you are stuck with the define folders in the Start Menu. I can't directly go on the my projects.

The Start menu was great when we had 800x600 or 640x480 displays.. but time has changed. If you still use such monitor, than good, I understand. But if not, no reason. In XP I used to lay my program on the desktop in groups. Heck even in Win7, despite instant search, I was using StarDock Fence.  Start Menu had no business in the high resolution screen we have today. The Start Screen, understands this. I never been able to access my stuff so quickly, and keep everything neat and organized.

The only thing I agree with you, is the search, an "All" Filter or a "Apps, Settings & FIles" filter, selected by default would have been nice. But that is rectified in Win 8.1.

After seeing you comment on every thread containing anything about Windows 8, I think the whole forum already knows that you like Windows 8. It's fine. That, however, was not the question. The question was why people think Windows 7 is better than Windows 8.

That sounds really good. I knew it might be possible. I just didn't think it would be as good as. I may have to get me a copy of 8 now because of this. Thanks! :D

You can also use the free option: Classic Start. You can install it through http://ninite.com

Do your research beforehand. Some people prefer one option above the other (Start8 vs. startisback vs. classic start)

You can also use the free option: Classic Start. You can install it through http://ninite.com

Do your research beforehand. Some people prefer one option above the other (Start8 vs. startisback vs. classic start)

I am pretty happy with Windows 7 so I haven't done much research on it. But having that boot time and performance boost is a nice bonus to me. I just assumed it wasn't possible to the extent that Metro was no more. I was wrong :p Thanks. I will have a look at these options too.

I am pretty happy with Windows 7 so I haven't done much research on it. But having that boot time and performance boost is a nice bonus to me. I just assumed it wasn't possible to the extent that Metro was no more. I was wrong :P Thanks. I will have a look at these options too.

I'm running 8 on both laptop and dekstop. Both have Classic Start enabled.

On my laptop, I no longer use standby. Since Windows 8 resumes from hibernation in 5 seconds on an SSD (seriously, FIVE seconds), I just hibernate the thing and prolong battery life.

That said, I wouldn't purchase 8 at the current price. I bought it as an upgrade license back when those were $30. That was a price I was happily willing to pay.

That said, I wouldn't purchase 8 at the current price. I bought it as an upgrade license back when those were $30. That was a price I was happily willing to pay.

Would agree with this.

I got my copy free from my university, even for all of it's optimizations it's not worth £50 for the upgrade (UK Price).

To the other point you made earlier, startisback gives me the most feel of being in windows 7, I tried a lot of the others before but they always felt like add ons or programs that I could feel were just emulating certain functions, with startisback it feels like it was never removed to begin with.

my brother has windows 8 and so far the only thing I've noticed about it is its impossible to do alot of stuff because of the lack of community support for example ipconfig command didn't work and when he searched the internet for help there was jack shit on the subject also starting up a bucket minecraft server was a pain in the ass because the commands to make it run where different and I'm sure there are many other things that are wrong with it beside those and the garbage interface i just haven't noticed them yet so screw you windows 8 ima stick to windows 7 :Ppost-22981-0-70926000-1370131782.gif

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

To the other point you made earlier, startisback gives me the most feel of being in windows 7, I tried a lot of the others before but they always felt like add ons or programs that I could feel were just emulating certain functions, with startisback it feels like it was never removed to begin with.

I haven't used startisback, so cannot comment on that. I have heard the same arguments from others, though.

minecraft server

server=linux  :rolleyes:

server=linux :rolleyes:

i would use linux but when i tryed to duel boot his pc it had no option what so ever and as usual there was barely any community help on the subject but maybe thats changed by now (hopefully)

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

i would use linux but when i tryed to duel boot his pc it had no option what so ever and as usual there was barely any community help on the subject but maybe thats changed by now (hopefully)

I would be surprised if there isn't any community support on Linux, as most of the distro's are completely community driven. If you're new to the whole Linux thing, I suggest to go with a distro like Ubuntu, they have an awesome community to fall back upon.

I would be surprised if there isn't any community support on Linux, as most of the distro's are completely community driven. If you're new to the whole Linux thing, I suggest to go with a distro like Ubuntu, they have an awesome community to fall back upon.

you misunderstand there was no option to select another boot drive or anything related to loading another os and i think it had to do with some new windows "security" feature that i cant understand how to disable and i dont know if its even possible

you misunderstand there was no option to select another boot drive or anything related to loading another os and i think it had to do with some new windows "security" feature that i cant understand how to disable and i dont know if its even possible

Aha! Search in the UEFI/BIOS for an option called "secure boot" or something like that... Disable it ;)

my brother has windows 8 and so far the only thing I've noticed about it is its impossible to do alot of stuff because of the lack of community support for example ipconfig command didn't work and when he searched the internet for help there was jack shit on the subject also starting up a bucket minecraft server was a pain in the ass because the commands to make it run where different and I'm sure there are many other things that are wrong with it beside those and the garbage interface i just haven't noticed them yet so screw you windows 8 ima stick to windows 7 :Pattachicon.gif

The commands of Windows 8 didn't change. ipconfig works perfectly.

Here is the list and what has been added, replaced and removed:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/commandlinereference/a/command-availability.htm

So, I don't know what OS you are using for the command not to work, but it's not Win8. :)

Support for WIn8 is good, and as it's based on Win7, WIn7 support applies as well.

So, support is strong.

Aha! Search in the UEFI/BIOS for an option called "secure boot" or something like that... Disable it ;)

i'll do it when i have time thx for the help post-22981-0-28825500-1370134197.gif i was wondering what i had to disable

The reason I like windows 7: My mum could use it, she never rang me asking me how to open or close the internet.

The reason I HATE windows 8: My mum cant use it, at ALL. I ended up telling her to turn her computer on and off again over the phone.. just to get her back onto facebook because she didn't understand what was going on. 

To be honest, I wish windows 8 was good, I want a faster OS that boots faster is cleaner and supports faster everything, except its the most anti productive thing I've ever used that I ended up buying another windows 7 OEM license.. 

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

The commands of Windows 8 didn't change. ipconfig works perfectly.

Here is the list and what has been added, replaced and removed:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/commandlinereference/a/command-availability.htm

So, I don't know what OS you are using for the command not to work, but it's not Win8. :)

Support for WIn8 is good, and as it's based on Win7, WIn7 support applies as well.

So, support is strong.

thats not my point my point is that thats what has happend and i cant figure out whats wrong because there is barely any community help due to the fact everyone hates windows 8

The reason I like windows 7: My mum could use it, she never rang me asking me how to open or close the internet.

The reason I HATE windows 8: My mum cant use it, at ALL. I ended up telling her to turn her computer on and off again over the phone.. just to get her back onto facebook because she didn't understand what was going on. 

To be honest, I wish windows 8 was good, I want a faster OS that boots faster is cleaner and supports faster everything, except its the most anti productive thing I've ever used that I ended up buying another windows 7 OEM license.. 

which is why you optimize the OS to fir your needs... you can make windows 8 have the same interface as windows 7, with even better features.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

thats not my point my point is that thats what has happend and i cant figure out whats wrong because there is barely any community help due to the fact everyone hates windows 8

the people who hate windows 8 are the minority..... the percent of people who hate windows 8 is close to the number of people that want george w. bush back as president. 

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

well all i'm saying guys is i feel like i want to wait a while longer for the operating system to "mature" then i will happily buy it