Reasons windows 7 is better then windows 8.

shirokado

I personally think that windows 8 is a much superior OS then windows 7.

Can someone list me out why windows 7 is better? Cause as far as i can see, the complaint about windows 8 is that there isnt a start button. they ignore all the new and upgraded features offered on windows 8. Now I'm not trying to put down anybody's opinion. I just really want to know why people think windows 7 is better. I'd like a list of things windows 7 can do/has that windows 8 can't/doesn't have.

Note that I personally am still on windows 7 pro, I didn't bother upgrading because... I kind of don't need to YET

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Less mouse movement to do things in windows 7 = more productivity.

Better organization/searching or entering settings inside windows 7. Windows 8's search function doesn't work for everything and you need to go through several sub menus to get to things.

That's about it from me--so far.

Windows 8 is still but a child. It has some growing up to do.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For me the lack of a start menu was a major downer and it's the reason Microsoft isn't getting my $100 or so for Windows 8, some people that may find that stupid but Microsoft still isn't getting my custom.

But I downloaded the preview release and I used it for about 3 days and I just couldn't get used to it, so in my opinion Windows 7 is better and I'll be sticking with it while it is supported, possibly after we'll see what is out in 7 years

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

What less movement of the mouse? You spend 5min trying to find anything in that disorganized menu list, plus you always need explorer to access folders because you are stuck with the define folders in the Start Menu. I can't directly go on the my projects.

The Start menu was great when we had 800x600 or 640x480 displays.. but time has changed. If you still use such monitor, than good, I understand. But if not, no reason. In XP I used to lay my program on the desktop in groups. Heck even in Win7, despite instant search, I was using StarDock Fence.  Start Menu had no business in the high resolution screen we have today. The Start Screen, understands this. I never been able to access my stuff so quickly, and keep everything neat and organized.

The only thing I agree with you, is the search, an "All" Filter or a "Apps, Settings & FIles" filter, selected by default would have been nice. But that is rectified in Win 8.1.

i dont like it because its not a desktop os, the icons on the metro are so large for use with a mouse and notifications that say "tap" to open. come on! with start is back and setting default programs away from the apps so that pictures dont load full screen etc windows 8 can be a nice platform.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

i dont like it because its not a desktop os, the icons on the metro are so large for use with a mouse and notifications that say "tap" to open. come on! with start is back and setting default programs away from the apps so that pictures dont load full screen etc windows 8 can be a nice platform.

What notifications say tap?

There's keyboard shortcuts to different search pages too (apps/settings/files) but that won't matter after 8.1 comes out.

Well windows 8 is just to 'tablety' Its just not really that good for desktop use in my opinion. I say this as a current windows 8 user 

Start button.

That's not even a good reason. You're just following mob mentality. You can install all sorts of start buttons with even better features then windows 7

Less mouse movement to do things in windows 7 = more productivity.

Better organization/searching or entering settings inside windows 7. Windows 8's search function doesn't work for everything and you need to go through several sub menus to get to things.

That's about it from me--so far.

Windows 8 is still but a child. It has some growing up to do.

You can install a 3rd party start button that has even more functionality then windows 7, so your point just shows that windows 8 has more productivity then windows 7 due to it having the option of a more advanced or even more simplified start button.

For me the lack of a start menu was a major downer and it's the reason Microsoft isn't getting my $100 or so for Windows 8, some people that may find that stupid but Microsoft still isn't getting my custom.

But I downloaded the preview release and I used it for about 3 days and I just couldn't get used to it, so in my opinion Windows 7 is better and I'll be sticking with it while it is supported, possibly after we'll see what is out in 7 years

the start menu/button can be made with a 3rd party software. free for something slightly better then window 7's start bar. and 5 dollars for something way more advanced then windows 7's start bar. So in the end, windows 7 isn't really better now is it? 

It has desktop mode. You can install 3rd part start bars. And on my friend's windows 8 machine, i never saw a notification that says tap to open. And if you don't like installing things to change how you want to use the OS, wouldn't you rather use Mac OS X?

Well windows 8 is just to 'tablety' Its just not really that good for desktop use in my opinion. I say this as a current windows 8 user 

2 terms. Desktop mode, and 3rd Party start buttons

So all these comments are telling me that Windows 7 is inferior to Windows 8, and people can have their preference on windows 8 being inferior, but.... is there really anything to have an opinion on? Windows 8 has all the features windows 7 had, and adds onto that. The lack of start button excuse seems to be really popular. You can solve that for free, and you can get an even better start bar for 5 dollars. So is windows 7 really superior? I don't think you can call this a preference based thing because windows 8 is clearly superior, and the start button excuse everyone complains about is really just stupid.... I mean if you don't want to change anything on the OS and be locked down to stock, why not use Mac OS X?

I think the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7 is like the difference between traditional Japanese sushi and american sushi.

Windows 7 is like the Japanese sushi. If you order one, it comes with wasabi between the rice and raw fish. You can't change it

Windows 8 is like the american sushi, if you order one it comes with just rice and raw fish, and you can choose which wasabi to put on it, so  you can get the same, or better wasabi.\

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

What less movement of the mouse? You spend 5min trying to find anything in that disorganized menu list, plus you always need explorer to access folders because you are stuck with the define folders in the Start Menu. I can't directly go on the my projects.

The Start menu was great when we had 800x600 or 640x480 displays.. but time has changed. If you still use such monitor, than good, I understand. But if not, no reason. In XP I used to lay my program on the desktop in groups. Heck even in Win7, despite instant search, I was using StarDock Fence.  Start Menu had no business in the high resolution screen we have today. The Start Screen, understands this. I never been able to access my stuff so quickly, and keep everything neat and organized.

The only thing I agree with you, is the search, an "All" Filter or a "Apps, Settings & FIles" filter, selected by default would have been nice. But that is rectified in Win 8.1.

LOL you can route and rename the shortcuts on the start menu as well as add new ones to whatever directory you want. 

It's disorganized by default but in a few minutes, you can customize shortcuts and directories regardless of whatever crazy organization method you choose.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A better title to this topic would be "Reasons Windows 7 MIGHT be better than Windows 8". 

People are getting butt hurt over the semantics of what are legitimate points.

To me, WIndows 8 represents the future. It's a more clever design better suited to the way we are beginning to use computers more and more.

If I may be so bold as to generalize... People tend to be very conservative and be afraid of change, even change that to anybody with an open mind prove to be superior to the old system. It takes time to get use to that which is new. Microsoft will succeed eventually and over time the lot will agree that the changes in the UI in Windows 8 were for the better.

Those who dare think outside of the box have always been faced with criticism.That's just how it is. Need I remind how people greeted the mouse?

Let's straight something out guys, just because the apps for win8 are crap, that doesn't mean the os is crap. And after 8.1 many of theese things are fixed + win8 has faster boot times and is quicker overall, so it comes down to what design layout you like the most.

the start menu/button can be made with a 3rd party software. free for something slightly better then window 7's start bar. and 5 dollars for something way more advanced then windows 7's start bar. So in the end, windows 7 isn't really better now is it? 

I'm still not upgrading

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

What notifications say tap?

There's keyboard shortcuts to different search pages too (apps/settings/files) but that won't matter after 8.1 comes out.

insert a usb stick and it will say tap to open usb drive or something like that in the top right hand corner.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

That's not even a good reason. You're just following mob mentality. You can install all sorts of start buttons with even better features then windows 7

You can install a 3rd party start button that has even more functionality then windows 7, so your point just shows that windows 8 has more productivity then windows 7 due to it having the option of a more advanced or even more simplified start button.

It has desktop mode. You can install 3rd part start bars. And on my friend's windows 8 machine, i never saw a notification that says tap to open. And if you don't like installing things to change how you want to use the OS, wouldn't you rather use Mac OS X?

2 terms. Desktop mode, and 3rd Party start buttons

So all these comments are telling me that Windows 7 is inferior to Windows 8, and people can have their preference on windows 8 being inferior, but.... is there really anything to have an opinion on? Windows 8 has all the features windows 7 had, and adds onto that. The lack of start button excuse seems to be really popular. You can solve that for free, and you can get an even better start bar for 5 dollars. So is windows 7 really superior? I don't think you can call this a preference based thing because windows 8 is clearly superior, and the start button excuse everyone complains about is really just stupid.... I mean if you don't want to change anything on the OS and be locked down to stock, why not use Mac OS X?

I think the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7 is like the difference between traditional Japanese sushi and american sushi.

Windows 7 is like the Japanese sushi. If you order one, it comes with wasabi between the rice and raw fish. You can't change it

Windows 8 is like the american sushi, if you order one it comes with just rice and raw fish, and you can choose which wasabi to put on it, so  you can get the same, or better wasabi.\

The fact that you have to install third party applications to get the software to be usable without annoying you shows that the OS is inferior to Windows 7.

The fact that you have to install third party applications to get the software to be usable without annoying you shows that the OS is inferior to Windows 7.

That is what I don't like, also I've tried the 3rd party start menu's and they don't seen to work as well as Windows 7, it maybe psychological lol

The modern UI doesn't work well for mouse and keyboard - its an inconsistent and unintuitive experience. Sometimes the scroll wheel on your mouse will navigate sideways through the application, but most of the time it doesn't. On the start screen itself, pushing the mouse to the edge of the screen will begin scrolling the screen in that direction - this functionality does not exist in (as far as I have seen) any applications in which it would be useful. For example the news app, or the gallery app.

That's the biggest complaint I have with Windows 8.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

That is what I don't like, also I've tried the 3rd party start menu's and they don't seen to work as well as Windows 7, it maybe psychological lol

Did you try start 8? its much better then windows 7's start menu

Then why not use Mac OS X?

I'm still not upgrading

Never said anything about you upgrading. I'm not upgrading to windows 8 yet either, windows 8 may be better, but windows 7 is still running.

For my desktop and laptop, I don't need tablet UI and Win7 still perform great, so why I need an upgrade? It will be different if I use OS for tablet or HTPC with wireless keyboard/touchpad that support Win8 gesture.

Did you try start 8? its much better then windows 7's start menu

Then why not use Mac OS X?

Never said anything about you upgrading. I'm not upgrading to windows 8 yet either, windows 8 may be better, but windows 7 is still running.

because I like the fact i don't have to mod windows 7 to get it to be usable.

Win8 is a great OS hidden under the worst UI I've ever seen.

Get startisback and you're golden.

Good points:

It's faster booting up/shutting down.

It lets you pause file transfers natively.

It's more optimized and can offer better fps in some games.

Bad Points:

Metro (can be fixed)

So from what I can see, good outweighs the bad.

The modern UI doesn't work well for mouse and keyboard - its an inconsistent and unintuitive experience. Sometimes the scroll wheel on your mouse will navigate sideways through the application, but most of the time it doesn't. On the start screen itself, pushing the mouse to the edge of the screen will begin scrolling the screen in that direction - this functionality does not exist in (as far as I have seen) any applications in which it would be useful. For example the news app, or the gallery app.

That's the biggest complaint I have with Windows 8.

True. The side pushing to scroll thing isn't actually part of the app code for some reason. I think MetroTwit has it though, except they had to do it themselves.

because I like the fact i don't have to mod windows 7 to get it to be usable.

you're not modding anything. your in stalling an application. That's like saying windows 7 sucks for gaming because the games aren't pre-installed. 

Windows 8 boot times and performance on Windows 7 would just be a brilliant OS. If it would be possible to make Windows 8 run without Metro, would buy it tomorrow.

Corsair 300r Case with OCZ ZT 750W PSU | Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor | Asus P8Z77-V LGA1155 Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) | OCZ Vertex 4 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD | AMD Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X 1GB Video Card | 2 Acer S220HQL 22" monitors |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | CM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3500dpi