Can I get some opinions on the following fans

Hi everyone, I currently have an h80 cooler in a define r3 case. I've been considering quite a few different fans.

Scythe gentle typhoon ap-14

Silverstone Air Penetrators Ap121

Corsair SP120

Cougar Vortex

Gelid Wings

I would love to hear your opinions on these.

Cheers

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Corsair SP are good but too loud for me. I recently bought a set and returned them before I opened them simply because I have had enough of the noise they produce.

I would recommend Noctua fans. I have yet to try them but if price translates to performance then there's nothing better. And linus loves them and he is a silence freak so why the hell not. They also have PWM so plug them into your motherboard and set up custom fan curves which means they will never be loud again.

If I was you I would only go for PWM fans. Setting up custom fan curves is the best innovation to fans since noctua decided to join the fan industry.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Corsair SP are good but too loud for me. I recently bought a set and returned them before I opened them simply because I have had enough of the noise they produce.

They're noisy in the box?

I also vouch for the noise the Corsair SP's make.

The gentle typhoon's are a great choice but the cables are not sleeved or in a ribbon style. I personally 2 AP-15's on my H100 and the temp s are fantastic for the amount of noise they make and they don't make winey fan noises, they put out lower pitched tone.

I also ran a couple of AP-121's on my H100 but they are kinda lacking in the performance department. The GT AP-15's ran about 78c average on my H100, the AP-121 ran about 85c on average.

I only own one of the Noctua NF-F12's on a H60, but from Linus's testing they are up there with the best of the radiator fans + the extras you get with the F12s and the fact they are no more pricier the GT's make them probably one of the best fans for the money.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Memory: 32GB 3600mhz DDR4 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 |
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, 850 Evo 500gb, 960 Pro 1tb | Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling Loop (CPU/GPU) | Case: CaseLabs Mercury S8+Pedestal  | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + PA238QR

If you're not to picky on style, go with Noctua. I have the SP120 PE fans, and run them with the included 7v resistor. Not silent, but pretty quiet.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

+1 on the noctuas. I run 8 of them in my case,all on lowest possible RPM, I'm a silence freak and noctuas are as silent as they come, (if you don't mind the looks of them)

I can't say I'm a fan of the colour scheme on the noctuas but if it does perform as well as people say I'll give them a try. However before I make a decision, does anyone have any experience with the cougar and gelid wins? My original choice was the silverstone air penetrators simply because the white led versions would look pretty nifty in my windowed case.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

I'd like to know if someone here already tried spray painting fan blades. I absolutely love the Noctuas but unfortunately I can't use them in my builds for obvious aesthetic reasons. Do you think a thin spray paint layer would be enough to unbalance the blades and increase the noise levels, reduce the efficiency and durability of the fan ?

i only painted them, because i couldn't get them apart to dye them without

breakage. some can come apart pretty easy, some are monsters and some

just don't come apart. i spent three hours masking a P12 and P14 only to have

them vibrate. purchased new fans and will look to dye them..

black frame/red blade. really cant dye lighter colors on dark parts.. and their is

not "white" dye..

http://imageshack.us/a/img259/4539/09302012001.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/1047/09302012003.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img803/1040/09302012002.jpg

I would recommend Noctua fans. I have yet to try them but if price translates to performance then there's nothing better. And linus loves them and he is a silence freak so why the hell not. They also have PWM so plug them into your motherboard and set up custom fan curves which means they will never be loud again.

If I was you I would only go for PWM fans. Setting up custom fan curves is the best innovation to fans since noctua decided to join the fan industry.

Same problem with the SP's. for a "Quiet Edition" fan, there much too loud, and don't even think about using them with a fan controller :P PWM is the way to go, sure noctua's fans cost a bit more, but its seriously worth it in the long run.