V-Sync

k3nnis

Hi All,

I currently have a Dell U2412M 24" 60Hz IPS Monitor for my gaming PC.

Now I will plan to buy a GPU after the nvidia announcement. Looking at GTX 770,780,970 or 980

Should I turn on V-Sync for my games? So lets say I get 200FPS on CS:GO, without vsync enable I will get tearing?

So for my monitor is there any point getting a high end GPU since my monitor is 60Hz?

Sorry am new to this FPS, refresh rate thing :)

Also what is the difference between Double buffering and triper buffering vsync in CS:GO??

Thanks,

K.

You'll get massive tearing, yes, and having vsync on introduces input lag. Personally I can't stand the input lag so I just manage with tearing. 

In my opinion there's is a point to owning a high end graphics card(s) (SLI more specifically) despite a 60hz monitor and it's simply because you'll have a ton of headroom - only if you need it of course. Resolution is big factor as well.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Just turn that shit off :P

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

I dont use V-Sync.. that input lag is so bad that I start rage even if I am just in main menu of the game. I usualy just use FPS cap at 60 with EVGA precision X.

Turn on Vsync if you don't like tearing, plain and simple. Vsync is designed to stop tearing from happening though in my experience it's not *always necessary. I've played some games where running at 70FPS produces disgusting tearing and others where I've run more than 200 with little to no tearing so it would depend on the game imo. As far as only getting a high end GPU that's a tricky one, one GPU may be capable of running a few games at 60FPS with all the settings turned up but it won't be able to do it with others. The best thing to do when buying a GPU is to just buy the most powerful one that you can afford or are willing to pay for. 

Turning on Vsync does introduce input lag into the game but honestly with all the other sources of lag that are present in gaming (keyboard/mouse, monitor, PC, server, reflexes) it seems like a pretty stupid thing to worry about. Most people who claim that they can tell when the input lag is present are either lying or guessing as there's a 50/50 chance that they're correct.

*Personal experience, though none of it with CS:GO.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Most people who claim that they can tell when the input lag is present are either lying or guessing as there's a 50/50 chance that they're correct.

The input lag is very noticeable for me, and I determined it was vsync before I even knew what vsync was and why it caused it.

AA also causes input lag which I also notice. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Ok I'm not even sure what input lag is like....

Are there any youtube videos? :)

I turned on vsync in CS:GO tripple buffering and not sure what is input lag lol..

Ok I'm not even sure what input lag is like....

Are there any youtube videos? :)

I turned on vsync in CS:GO tripple buffering and not sure what is input lag lol..

You'll notice your movement on screen doesn't exactly correspond with your mouse movement; there is a slight delay between moving your mouse and your actual player moving.

ok thanks. I will check if I can notice it or not....

do you guys think a 24" or 27" is optimal for gaming? or bigger? 28", 29"?

Sitting around 2 feet from the screen....

Ok sounds good. Should I get. 1440p or 4k monitor??

1440p if one gfx card 4k if two

maybe but with your current monitor you should over clock it to 74 hz thats how far my monitor the same one could go

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

1440p is enough. You might also want to wait for the upcoming 900 series cards, because (RUMORED) both the 970 and the 980 are going to have 4GB of memory, which is going to allow you to play games at high resolutions and high textures!

Also, V-Sync on CS:GO is an absolute nightmare. Once you enable v-sync, you are going to have brotonculous mouse delay. i just invented a new word, yay  :lol:

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Do not get an LCD with a flagship GPU. That is a terrible waste of money. You should prioritize getting a monitor that dosen't display a slideshow at 60Hz or shows black and white as gray. Get a CRT, then upgrade the GPU. The switch from a LCD to a quality monitor (CRT) is as big as switching from a console to a PC. The fact that a PC can do 240FPS with a good GPU is a shame if the monitor can't show those frames. LCD: Great for XBOX, PlayStation. CRT: Great for PC. To answer your original question: I don't use V-Sync because I don't want to add input lag and I've never actually noticed tearing.

Award for been stuck in the past goes to... :P

Do not get an LCD with a flagship GPU. That is a terrible waste of money. You should prioritize getting a monitor that dosen't display a slideshow at 60Hz or shows black and white as gray. Get a CRT, then upgrade the GPU. The switch from a LCD to a quality monitor (CRT) is as big as switching from a console to a PC. The fact that a PC can do 240FPS with a good GPU is a shame if the monitor can't show those frames. LCD: Great for XBOX, PlayStation. CRT: Great for PC.

Stop being a f*** troll all of you threads are idiotic

to answer the question i would recommend getting the better gpu now and the better monitor later like a 1440p or 4k whichever you want later

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

Where can I buy a crt?

Jeman: you have the same dell monitor? How to overclock? And is it bad for the monitor?

Where can I buy a crt?

Jeman: you have the same dell monitor? How to overclock? And is it bad for the monitor?

no its not that bad for it

first do you have a nvidia card

Where can I buy a crt?

dont buy a crt he was just trolling

You can get CRTs on eBay or Craigslist.

stop trolling he wants help he doesn't want misinformation do you want to talk about all of your fanboy troll treads like downgrading your hardware from a intel 4930k to a 9590 because your a fanboy

Depends on the game. Generally, enabling vsync is a good idea, but in some games there is an intolerable performance drop (due to some compatibility issues or poor optimization).

Hi All,

I currently have a Dell U2412M 24" 60Hz IPS Monitor for my gaming PC.

Now I will plan to buy a GPU after the nvidia announcement. Looking at GTX 770,780,970 or 980

Should I turn on V-Sync for my games? So lets say I get 200FPS on CS:GO, without vsync enable I will get tearing?

So for my monitor is there any point getting a high end GPU since my monitor is 60Hz?

Sorry am new to this FPS, refresh rate thing :)

Also what is the difference between Double buffering and triper buffering vsync in CS:GO??

Thanks,

K.

if you have a nvidia gpu if so you should download evga precision x after it has installed look for evga pixel tuning utility and raise it until your monitor stops displaying an image and if that happens than don't touch anything as it will automatically revert back to the last setting

Why don't you stop trolling? Do you seriously belive that LCDs are better than CRTs? Because, if you do, you should probably use a CRT for a few minutes.

crts are soo low resolution bad for your eyes look at this 

You don't even know how to overclock a monitor. Yet you give advice on choosing monitors. CRU is the ONLY way to safely overclock any display. That EVGA tool can't control timings and thus may destroy any LCD or CRT.

everyone on evrey one of your threads calls you an idiot so leave

Really? 2304x1440 and 2048x1536 are low resolutions? CRT flicker is actually a good thing; it eliminates motion blur. If the flicker bothers you, just raise the refresh rate and lower the resolution.

no it doesnt and they are like 4x the size