Is 8ms response time too high for fps's?

olivergoldvalente
Go to solution Solved by TacticlTwinkie,

thats totally fine. I certainly can't tell the difference between 1ms, 5ms and 8ms. There isnt a standard way to measure response time, and each manufacturer does it a little different. I tend to ignore the advertised response time until its listed as 15ms or higher, and turn to reviews for that sort of input. If a trusted reviewer cant feel a problem, its highly unlikely i will either.

So I'm looking into buying this Korean 1440p monitor. The x star dp2710 specifically. From what I have found it has a 8ms response time. Now I currently have a 5ms response time monitor and I'm quite happy with it. If I mainly play fps do you think I'll notice any difference? I would by no means call myself a hardcore gamer but I do appreciate a good gaming experience. Thanks for any help.

Heres the ebay link in case anyone was curious. I'm not aware of any other cheap 1440p monitors with low response times.

well your human response time is over 200ms, so it definitely will not make a difference unless you are desperately trying to win hardcore.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My previous 1440p m onitor had a 6ms response time, and I found it to be just fine. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

well your human response time is over 200ms, so it definitely will not make a difference unless you are desperately trying to win hardcore.

i need all the help i can get in game i just suck that much lmao

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

thats totally fine. I certainly can't tell the difference between 1ms, 5ms and 8ms. There isnt a standard way to measure response time, and each manufacturer does it a little different. I tend to ignore the advertised response time until its listed as 15ms or higher, and turn to reviews for that sort of input. If a trusted reviewer cant feel a problem, its highly unlikely i will either.

I've heard that the rule of thumb was 5ms max, but I dont believe it. Should be OK.

Linus claims anything below 16ms doesn't bother him...

Personally I play on a tv and don't notice all this 'input lag' people always complain about.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Personally I play on a tv and don't notice all this 'input lag' people always complain about.

Wow, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

I could be very wrong

i notice input lag between my old samsung 60hz monitor and my BenQ XL2420T :P but its not worth thinking about unless you are playing something like CS GO hardcore

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

i notice input lag between my old samsung 60hz monitor and my BenQ XL2420T :P but its not worth thinking about unless you are playing something like CS GO hardcore

Yes I agree it is noticeable if you compare them side to side, but if you play on a slow monitor you will eventually get used to it, and feel comfortable playing on it just as you would on a fast monitor. :)

Spoiler

It really depends on what style of gameplay you have and at what level you play/want to play FPS games.

Since I've been playing counter strike from around 2000, I can notice input lag or response times pretty easily. I don't play hardcore for a couple of years now, but I still can't stand playing CS GO for example on an IPS screen.

I've done a couple of tests with some monitors from my friends and I can notice 60hz-120hz almost instantly in any fps, tried a 8ms IPS found it horrible in CS GO - tho later I found out it had a total input lag of 23ms - , played 2 weeks on a 1ms TN BenQ then 2 weeks on a Dell IPS, again I could see that I wasn't playing at the same level...it just seemed like the IPS was too motion blur-ish or slower in a way, I can't really explain it...it just didn't feel as snappy? I guess that's a word lol

For other games or maybe more casual FPS play, that IPS will probably be great. I loved the dell IPS in Dark souls 2 for example.

EDIT: After looking online a bit it seems that the total input lag on that monitor should be way below 16ms, which is the top limit for high lvl FPS play, so you might be good with this one.