Problems with my second monitor.

BatterySound

Different models. Black bars around the bigger one. The screens displaying the same thing but when I set it to extend one screen is impossible to access . Same resolution. One is using HDMI other is using VGA I think?  I'm not that knowledgeable about monitors so help me out here.  

CPU: i5 4570 - GPU: R9 270 - Motherboard: MSI Z87 G41 - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro - PSU: EVGA 500W Bronze - RAM: Kingston FuryX 2x4 GB

Duplicate displays will match the resolution of the lower resolution display, thus the black bars. I don't understand what you mean by "extend is impossible to access"

Assuming your using Windows 7, it's pretty simple

http://www.ehow.com/how_8780838_enable-dual-monitors-vga-dvi.html

Just make sure both monitors are running at their native resolutions.

Mixing VGA and HDMI isn't a problem.

If you can, take screen shots of the settings for each monitor under the "Screen resolution" page  (Right click empty space on desktop)

Duplicate displays will match the resolution of the lower resolution display, thus the black bars. I don't understand what you mean by "extend is impossible to access"

Windows 7 has native support for dual displays, you can have a different resolution on each screen and an extended desktop.

I'm doing it right now.  An old 4:3 1600x1200 and 16:10 1920x1200 monitor, both running at their native resolutions.

A program like DisplayFusion will even allow you run dual task bars, wallpapers, screen savers and tons of other stuff.

Windows 7 has native support for dual displays, you can have a different resolution on each screen and an extended desktop.

I'm doing it right now.  An old 4:3 1600x1200 and 16:10 1920x1200 monitor, both running at their native resolutions.

A program like DisplayFusion will even allow you run dual task bars, wallpapers, screen savers and tons of other stuff.

I've never actually bothered with dual monitors, but I'm considering it with my new set-up and so that's very interesting information, jbr. Thanks.

I'm doing it right now. An old 4:3 1600x1200 and 16:10 1920x1200 monitor, both running at their native resolutions.

it's impossible to duplicate different resolution displays and have each monitor running at its native resolution

it's impossible to duplicate different resolution displays and have each monitor running at its native resolution

Extended desktop

Which is why I asked him to post a screenshot, to see if he has "Extend these displays" selected

Extended desktop

Which is why I asked him to post a screenshot, to see if he has "Extend these displays" selected

I wasn't talking about extended desktop tho  :P